Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Elite benefits if booked via 3rd party?

Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

Now that the first few days of the new program are over... what‘s the status of elite benefits if booked via 3rd party websites? Marriott extended benefits in the past (lounge access if booked via Priceline etc) whereas Starwood didn‘t. Hope they kept the Marriott policy in this case...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The T&C say elite benefits only on "Qualifying Rates" which would seem to suggest they are now following the more restrictive approach adopted by the other major programs.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:59 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The new T&C make it clear that elite benefits are only guaranteed for qualifying rates. Those don't include 3rd party bookings, so you wouldn't be guaranteed elite benefits on any 3rd party bookings.

That being said, some hotels may still honor your elite benefits at their discretion. I'd imagine that would be most true for returning guests who already have a relationship with the hotel or for those with the highest level of elite status. But there are no guarantees.
bresnab likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
During the transition, I'd generally expect hotels to default to the premerger rules: elite benefits in legacy MR properties but no elite benefits in legacy SPG hotels. YMMV.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I would note that while not explicitly clarified, it's likely that corporate TA rates at large companies that force employees to use a corporate travel tool like Concur linked to a corporate TA... will not be impacted by this. If there are any reports to the contrary, it would be of tremendous interest.

Marriott has mentioned that now when they go back to renegotiate margins with 3rd party TAs like Expedia, Travelocity, they intend to negotiate rates with lower margins for the 3TA. This may be part of the game- 3TA's generally excluded, unless maybe they make the deal with Marriott favorable enough to be carved out as an exception as a qualifying rate.

Or just a move to force most bookers to book on Marriott.com exclusively, or get cheaper rates sans elite benefits.

To be abundantly clear on current terms:

Originally Posted by MR T&C
2.1.e. Qualifying Rates. A “Qualifying Rate” is the rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which qualifies to earn Points or Miles unless the Member stays under a “Non-Qualifying Rate,” as defined in Section 2.1.f. Unless otherwise specifically stated, Members will receive their membership tier benefits during stays on Qualifying Rates.

2.1.f Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:

i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com;
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, DL Medallion, MR Plat
Our corporate agency (Egencia) shows with room rate do and don't qualify for points.

Going forward I would also expect that also implied elite benefits.

Our previous agency (BCD) only offered "Qualifying Rates"
danielonn likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Had very little number of booking from 3rd party but if status mentioned at check in they always did something regarding upgrade... nothing regarding night post, points, etc of course but some benefits yes. Not a rule, not even written but from experience I noticed that it helps (for upgrade and late checkout).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bresnab
Our corporate agency (Egencia) shows with room rate do and don't qualify for points.

Going forward I would also expect that also implied elite benefits.

Our previous agency (BCD) only offered "Qualifying Rates"
Probably ...Nothing to do with reservations made using the large well known official corporate booking agencies/tools fora room using companies corporate rate. It is the deal your company makes with MR/HH/IHG/Hyatt that will determine if points earning as Companies can (and some do) negotiate for slightly lower rate by excluding chain/hotel room earning points.

If you look at terms of that rate in your booking, you'll see these corporate rates are "non comissionable" , so the travel partner making your booking booking earns nothing. The chains MR/HH/IHG etc don't exclude these bookings.

Typically such agency in lieu of comission relies on that your company then is instead contracted to pay both yearly service fee and pay additional usage fee at end of each quarter/year to your corp travel agency based on volume of bookings made for rooms+flights.

Thus at end of day, if booking corp rate via official company booking channel (ie agency like Amex, CWT) your rate is qualifying, points earning unless your company negotiated away that part in return for lower nightly rate.

Also possibly, if your company lacks negotiated corp rate, requires you book through 3rd party that in turn claims commission on each room booked, such booked reservations are standard adr/flex and comissionable, I can see how you end up with non-qual nights without points. It is bookings through 3rd party channels funded by MR/HH/IHG paying comission (rather than company paying annual fees) that are non-qual stays.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:33 am

Gold Benefits Booking Thru Chase Ultimate Rewards

I booked a stay at Cosmopolitan Las Vegas using my Chase Ultimate Rewards points. As a Marriott Gold level member will I still get the benefits of Gold like upgraded room and 2:00 pm checkout?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS Gold, BA Bronze, DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by milemonkey
I booked a stay at Cosmopolitan Las Vegas using my Chase Ultimate Rewards points. As a Marriott Gold level member will I still get the benefits of Gold like upgraded room and 2:00 pm checkout?
Under the T&C, no. Booking with Chase UR travel is the same as booking with Expedia. Hotel can always do that sort of thing at their discretion, but for that hotel I am doubtful.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Does anyone know if Cosmopolitan Las Vegas still honors Marriott elite status when I book the stay from an OTA like Expedia?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I've been fighting with Marriott to get points credited for a Courtyard stay last month. I booked through our corporate travel agency (BCD Travel through Concur website) as I have for years. Marriott claims I booked through Expedia and won't give me points. I've had stays since then (all booked through my same travel agent) that haven't had any problems.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:06 am

So I rebooked my stay directly with the Cosmopolitan since I got comped nights and cheap rate. Can I just call and add my Marriott Gold number to get the Gold benefits? Also, does anyone know how my Marriott membership coordinates with Cosmopolitan's Identity program?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As a Marriott Gold level member will I still get the benefits of Gold like upgraded room and 2:00 pm checkout?
You realize that Gold benefits are an "enhanced" room and 2 p.m. checkout "based on availability" (not guaranteed) right?

So I rebooked my stay directly with the Cosmopolitan
For Marriott elite benefits to apply, you must book through a MARRIOTT booking channel.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You realize that Gold benefits are an "enhanced" room and 2 p.m. checkout "based on availability" (not guaranteed) right?

For Marriott elite benefits to apply, you must book through a MARRIOTT booking channel.
Booking through a "Marriott booking channel"? So booking directly with a Marriott hotel doesn't qualify? Seems kinda dumb. Will I at least get points credit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.