Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by pokee
. It's not your English Margarita Girl (your post was CRYSTAL CLEAR)
Sorry, but
The redemption levels until the end of the year are now 60K pts/night. I believe I should be able to get a 45K pt refund for the first night, but I'm worried about the fact that the hotel is sold out. What about the second night?
Is not crystal clear. She wants 45K for the first night and "what about the second night?" What about the second night?. I would expect "and I believe I should be able to get a xxx pt refund for the second night".
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:00 am
h2d

Originally Posted by pwdump
Did you have to call several times or were you able to get an agent that had a clue right away? Also, was this in the last couple days? Thanks for the update.
It was te second agent I spoke with so may have been lucky on that front - timing wise it was the end of last week.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by h2d
I was also able to get an existing reservation at the St Regis Bali adjusted without having to cancel and pre-book. The hotel was not sold out however my original reservation remains intact and points refund has hit my account. That was through the US SPG platinum phone line.
Curious how it shows in your account. As an adjustment or an award cancellation and award issue? I still have the 420K points in my account and the orginial reservation but no new award attached to it yet.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:15 pm

You are very lucky. I called over 5 times to get some points from StR Bali refunded, but they kept on telling me that the avail has to be there for them to adjust and refund the points.
Finally, it showed up on the app, and luckily I still have enough points to book it. Cancelled the previous booking, and the points showed up right away.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by darrickyong
It looks like only one person here has been successful so far in getting a points refund on an SPG reservation made pre-merger on a hotel that is currently sold out. Ive called maybe ten times in the past two weeks and have always been given the "can't rebook since no availability so you can't get points back" reasoning. Anyone else have luck? My reservation is on 9/15, so wondering if Marriott would even be able to do anything retroactively after my stay, although I doubt it since they would have no incentive to...
Just a successful update on this - @spgassist was able to simply credit the difference for me. No change to the reservation and the points was adjusted.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:19 pm
dss

I just wanted to add my voice to the deeply frustrated customer base. I had to make what should have been a simple change to an older award but requiring phone assistance. I'm now on my third call, and each time requiring almost AN HOUR of hold time on the Plat desk, only to be given contradictory information and still not having the issue resolved. This is the worst executed integration I have ever seen and I cannot wait to burn my SPG points and take my business elsewhere. Congrats Marriott, you just lost an 18 year elite SPG member.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by darrickyong
Just a successful update on this - @spgassist was able to simply credit the difference for me. No change to the reservation and the points was adjusted.
I can confirm twitter @spgassist can refund points on existing reservation. First one was immediate, second request wasn't, they said it could take up to 72 hours. Very easy.

However, they cannot change the dates without redepositing and rebooking (which leaves you in a twighlight zone of no reservation).

ETA the second request had the points back in about an hour and a half.

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 8, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:36 pm

I was told that under old Starwood, you can KEEP reservation, but cancel and reissue Award Certificate from SPG to underlying property. Apparently, this capability is not available under Marriott Systems yet(?). My reservation has no availability so I can't rebook reservation (since no Free Night Awards available) so need to reissue certificates to get the refund back. Any idea if Marriott definitely working towards new capability?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by mcco
I was told that under old Starwood, you can KEEP reservation, but cancel and reissue Award Certificate from SPG to underlying property.
Marriott has this ability. Starwood does not.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mcco
I was told that under old Starwood, you can KEEP reservation, but cancel and reissue Award Certificate from SPG to underlying property. Apparently, this capability is not available under Marriott Systems yet(?). My reservation has no availability so I can't rebook reservation (since no Free Night Awards available) so need to reissue certificates to get the refund back. Any idea if Marriott definitely working towards new capability?
You have that backwards! But if you look at my post # 77, William has indicated that Starwood would also have this capability.
jmkclee likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
I call the Marriott Platinum line yesterday to get connected to the SPG Plat line (actually just connected me to regular line and then transferred me to Plat line...after I combined accounts, I couldn’t find the SPG Plat # anywhere...used to show up on the app...wrote it down yesterday...).

Anyway, I spoke with a guy named John, and requested the difference back from my award reservation at the Gritti Palace next week (no award availability). Booked in June at what is now 315K Marriott points, now should be 180K. He said he would do it without changing the reservation and that I would get 135K points back (yeah!) in 72-96 hours. We will see. Hasn’t shown up yet, but only 23 hours later. I hope this is fixed by next Thursday when we check in.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmkclee
I call the Marriott Platinum line yesterday to get connected to the SPG Plat line (actually just connected me to regular line and then transferred me to Plat line...after I combined accounts, I couldn’t find the SPG Plat # anywhere...used to show up on the app...wrote it down yesterday...).

Anyway, I spoke with a guy named John, and requested the difference back from my award reservation at the Gritti Palace next week (no award availability). Booked in June at what is now 315K Marriott points, now should be 180K. He said he would do it without changing the reservation and that I would get 135K points back (yeah!) in 72-96 hours. We will see. Hasn’t shown up yet, but only 23 hours later. I hope this is fixed by next Thursday when we check in.
Please keep us posted. I’m also at Gritti Palace in 2.5 weeks for 2 nights. First night booked at 35K SPG pts (normal redemption rate). No availability for 2nd night for base rate, so booked for 37.75K pts (specialty room). Both nights are currently sold out. I asked my ambassador to find out how many points I would get back for 2nd night approx 10 days ago. No reply yet. I think I might start making some phone calls of my own today.

Has anyone refunded a non-standard rate yet?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All done

Spent 45 mins on the phone with a very helpful Platinum agent. He refunded the points for the Gritti Palace.

First night was 105K pts, refunded to 60K pts for a credit of 45K pts.
Second night was 113.25K pts, refunded to 83K pts for a credit of 30.25K pts

Points are not visible in my account yet, but agent assured that they are there. I'm very disappointed that the second night is so expensive given that I paid a 2750 pt premium with SPG (8250 Marriott pts) and now I am paying a 23K pt premium with Marriott. I'll keep watching to see if base rooms become available again.

Who needs an ambassador when you can do things much faster yourself!
SanDiego1K and SeeTheLights like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:05 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'm very disappointed that the second night is so expensive given that I paid a 2750 pt premium with SPG (8250 Marriott pts) and now I am paying a 23K pt premium with Marriott. I'll keep watching to see if base rooms become available again.
Well done on getting points back.

I saw this kind of points discrepancy at another high end hotel. I had no motivation to book a higher level room, though I had done it a number of times under the Starwood program.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:33 pm

Tweeted @spgassist How can I get the difference in points refunded for reservation at a property that now costs less points? I can't cancel and rebook because there is no points availability.

They asked me to DM reservation and account info. Points refunded in about 6 hours.

Note: I tried this same thing 3 times previously unsuccessfully, so try, try again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.