Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Old Sep 5, 18, 9:32 am
Community Director

I got a refund automatically today for a one night cancellation that I cancelled almost as soon as the new program went live. Finally. But there is no progress on the booking where the points need adjusted downward.
Old Sep 5, 18, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I got a refund automatically today for a one night cancellation that I cancelled almost as soon as the new program went live. Finally. But there is no progress on the booking where the points need adjusted downward.
Did you get the reservations adjusted but the points have not been returned? Or no-one has been able to make the adjustments?
Old Sep 5, 18, 11:33 am

I also got points refunded today, for a couple of stays I cancelled around August 20!
Old Sep 5, 18, 11:50 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by MaxFlying View Post
Did you get the reservations adjusted but the points have not been returned? Or no-one has been able to make the adjustments?
I have varied stories. The first one was that they were adjusted though not visible to me. The second one was that nothing has been done and they have no idea how to do it.
Old Sep 5, 18, 12:04 pm

I have varied stories. The first one was that they were adjusted though not visible to me. The second one was that nothing has been done and they have no idea how to do it.
Thought i would try today. This follows an exchange with one of the Lurkers over email who assured me I could call and an agent could do this, failing that a supervisor would. Original agent tried to do a simple change, no availability so not possible. Transferred to supervisor who was helpful, trying, couldn't do the adjustment. Then thought he could find a way and am waiting for a call back. Not feeling hopeful, clearly there is still a problem with either training or the system. Just hoping I don't lose my Xmas booking....
Will update if anything happens.
Old Sep 5, 18, 4:14 pm

It looks like only one person here has been successful so far in getting a points refund on an SPG reservation made pre-merger on a hotel that is currently sold out. Ive called maybe ten times in the past two weeks and have always been given the "can't rebook since no availability so you can't get points back" reasoning. Anyone else have luck? My reservation is on 9/15, so wondering if Marriott would even be able to do anything retroactively after my stay, although I doubt it since they would have no incentive to...
Old Sep 5, 18, 4:22 pm
Community Director

I got a refund automatically today for a one night cancellation that I cancelled almost as soon as the new program went live. Finally.
Based on that, I was bold and canceled two more bookings. I was told it would be several days before I saw points returned. However, I saw the points immediately in the Marriott app. It took another hour to see them on the desktop site but they are shown in both places now.
Old Sep 5, 18, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
But there is no progress on the booking where the points need adjusted downward.
Nothing from my Ambassador yet either, and it's been exactly a week since I asked for her assistance. However, she did strongly encourage me to combine my accounts.
Old Sep 6, 18, 6:14 am
h2d

Originally Posted by darrickyong View Post
It looks like only one person here has been successful so far in getting a points refund on an SPG reservation made pre-merger on a hotel that is currently sold out. Ive called maybe ten times in the past two weeks and have always been given the "can't rebook since no availability so you can't get points back" reasoning. Anyone else have luck? My reservation is on 9/15, so wondering if Marriott would even be able to do anything retroactively after my stay, although I doubt it since they would have no incentive to...
I was also able to get an existing reservation at the St Regis Bali adjusted without having to cancel and pre-book. The hotel was not sold out however my original reservation remains intact and points refund has hit my account. That was through the US SPG platinum phone line.
Old Sep 6, 18, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by h2d View Post
I was also able to get an existing reservation at the St Regis Bali adjusted without having to cancel and pre-book. The hotel was not sold out however my original reservation remains intact and points refund has hit my account. That was through the US SPG platinum phone line.
Did you have to call several times or were you able to get an agent that had a clue right away? Also, was this in the last couple days? Thanks for the update.
Old Sep 6, 18, 3:08 pm

Based on that, I was bold and canceled two more bookings. I was told it would be several days before I saw points returned. However, I saw the points immediately in the Marriott app. It took another hour to see them on the desktop site but they are shown in both places now.
Did you cancel online or call SPG?
Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 18, 3:13 pm

An update. The supervisor working on my award called back. Current status is that the original 420,000 points have been returned to my account (which I can see and appears to have been instant). The original reservation is still valid and I can see it but the new 240,000 point award has not been issued. Seems this can not yet be done but should happen soon. Will see what happens. Agent was very careful to reassure me that I had the room sill etc.
Old Sep 6, 18, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlying View Post
An update. The supervisor working on my award called back. Current status is that the original 420,000 points have been returned to my account (which I can see and appears to have been instant). The original reservation is still valid and I can see it but the new 240,000 point award has not been issued. Seems this can not yet be done but should happen soon. Will see what happens. Agent was very careful to reassure me that I had the room sill etc.
Man, I wish I could get that supervisor. I am in the same boat and continue to be told several times a day it cant be done. You are calling main SPG number?
Old Sep 6, 18, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by pwdump View Post
Man, I wish I could get that supervisor. I am in the same boat and continue to be told several times a day it cant be done. You are calling main SPG number?
SPG NA Plat number. I will be happier once I see the new award issued.
Old Sep 6, 18, 4:20 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by travelpye View Post
Did you cancel online or call SPG?
I called. I had to call on a different matter or wouldn't have stuck out the 45 minute hold.

Search this Thread