Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pwdump
Tweeted @spgassist How can I get the difference in points refunded for reservation at a property that now costs less points? I can't cancel and rebook because there is no points availability.

They asked me to DM reservation and account info. Points refunded in about 6 hours.

Note: I tried this same thing 3 times previously unsuccessfully, so try, try again.
What's the HUACA equivalent for Twitter? I tried DMing the same request to @spgassist and got this response:

We do not have a way to override the system to return points unless the hotel has decreased the category. The only option to get the difference back would by cancelling your existing reservation and re-booking.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ismann
What's the HUACA equivalent for Twitter? I tried DMing the same request to @spgassist and got this response:
Probably have to create another Twitter account
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I contacted MR through the web site's "email us" function on the 6th and received a reply last night that points had been refunded to both of my reservations that had decreased.

While no line item shows up in the Activity section of the web site, Award Wallet confirms that my balance increased by the amount that was to be refunded. So:

1. Be patient

2. Track your points balances, don't depend on seeing the refund as a line item in your account.

One was legacy MR, one was legacy SPG. They're both for the same night, and I'll end up cancelling one depending on SNAs clearing, so it will be interesting to see how that works out.

(I tried the "View previous SPG activity (prior to 8/18/2018)" just to see, but received "Service Unavailable. The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later" for any time period selected)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Spent 45 mins on the phone with a very helpful Platinum agent. He refunded the points for the Gritti Palace.

First night was 105K pts, refunded to 60K pts for a credit of 45K pts.
Second night was 113.25K pts, refunded to 83K pts for a credit of 30.25K pts

Points are not visible in my account yet, but agent assured that they are there. I'm very disappointed that the second night is so expensive given that I paid a 2750 pt premium with SPG (8250 Marriott pts) and now I am paying a 23K pt premium with Marriott. I'll keep watching to see if base rooms become available again.

Who needs an ambassador when you can do things much faster yourself!
margarita girl...did you get your points back yet? Im well past 96 hours and still waiting. Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jmkclee

margarita girl...did you get your points back yet? Im well past 96 hours and still waiting. Thanks.
They showed up within a couple of hours for the first reservation and not at all for the second one, so I will have to call back.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Are you looking for Activity or tracking actual points balance? As mentioned above, my points balance increased with no record of any Activity.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 15, 2018 at 9:59 pm
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Ugh. Just called again as the points still haven’t shown up (neither by an additional show of points nor showing in my account activity) and was given the “we can’t do that at this time.” But we can give you a bonus AFTER your stay, which is easier to do. So I just tried spgassist on Twitter. We will see.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:22 pm

@spgassist for the win! Had to go through hubby’s twitter (they wouldn’t deal with me...it is his acct after all), but points pretty much immediately in his account! Yeah! Now where to go with 375k points...(and no, not StR Maldives...been there, done that).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Really struggling to get traction on this. Have a 3 night C+P reservation late next week that was booked under old SPG and now is 45.000 points cheaper as new Cat7. No award/C+P availability any more.

Called Spg Platinum line two weeks ago: No changes or refunds possible without current availability.
Tweeted @spgassist last week: Reissued points certificate but at same cost.
Called Spg Platinum line last week (incl. transfer to manager): No changes or refunds possible without current availability.
Called Spg Platinum line today: No changes or refunds possible without current availability, and no other way to refund me the 45k points.

All agents seek to help and contact other departments, but dead ends all the time ...

Seeing that Lurkers promised this option before the merger and other seem to have success - what am I doing wrong ?
Has anybody invoked Lurkers in clarifying policy/procedure post-merger ?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:48 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

A flat no from the Twitter Team
I am disappointed with the very inconsistent response from Marriott but grateful that I have an Ambassador.

Since my Ambassador is off on Sundays I tried @spgassist since others had such a successful response from them.

After several hours this was their reply above.

On Monday my Ambassador emailed me:

I am happy to confirm you will see 160,500 Points deposited into your account in one transaction. There were no changes to your existing reservations; these were adjusted on the back side. Please see the breakdown below:

The St. Regis Princeville Resort: 130,000 Points
Prince de Galles, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris: 30,500 Points

You should be able to view these in your account

And sure enough the points were there with my reservations intact.

Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I just cancelled an spg reservation and points redeposited immediately. I cancelled a Marriott res two weeks ago and still have not seen the points.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Anyone have success getting points back on stays already completed? Post merger but pre stay (in early September) one rep suggested that a retroactive credit would be no problem but now the reps I get are clueless. Just wondering how hard to try. The difference in points is something like 200k points depending what they consider peak season and how they handle 5th night free.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: SPG platinum, HHonors Diamond
I think this issue was caused by Marriott's system allows about 1 year ahead of time booking, while old SPG systems allows way longer than that. The M&A IT didn't take this into consideration, so the system won't be able to handle the refund of the "old" SPG reservations which were booked way ahead of time. I personally got about 200K+ points stuck in the misery, due to a cancellation at right after the merger on a X'Mas booking (this year) which was maded in August last year.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I waited well over a month to try getting refund of award points for a stay at St. Regis Princeville Resort over Christmas. First 2 calls to SPG Plat line and Marriott Plat lines went for 45 min no answer. This morning I got through to Marriott Plat line bu agent could not see SPG reservation so she transferred my call to an SPG agent. SPG agent could not do anything about the refund of points, even consulting with a supervisor. I was told to call back in 1 week.

How is it that some agents have been able to issue refund?

SPG Plat line used to be great, but now worthless? I cannot even get my calls answered, after waiting for 45 minutes.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:10 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
On September 6th I cancelled a points reservation made back in March, and I did not get points refunded back to my account. I thought I had waited enough days after August 18th to be safe, but I was wrong. Then I thought perhaps I will wait a few more weeks and points will be refunded automatically without me asking anything, but several weeks later still nothing. So I called and raised to issue. The ambassador put me on hold and discussed with accounting, and they got back to me saying that I was not refunded because when I made the booking in March, points were never taken out of my account and that there was no reward certificate attached to this reservation.

I went back to the e-mail I received in March when I made this booking, and there is a reward certificate number shown in the e-mail, but the first 4 digits are XXXX. I don't even know where all the digits would be shown. The ambassador told me that I will have to provide alternate proof that points were taken out of my account because accounting is adamant that points were never taken out.

Fortunately, I do have proof. On the same day that I made this booking (that I subsequently cancelled in September), I had previously made another points redemption a few minutes prior at another hotel and I had kept a screen shot showing my account balance after that booking was made. Then when a few minutes later I made the booking in question, I took another screen shot of that one, showing the new points balance after that booking. So I have a screen shot before and a screen shot after making my reservation in question. The delta in my points balance is equal to the points required for that booking, as expected.

I am 100% sure that the points were taken out of my account and proof to show it. I am assuming that it will now get resolved properly and that I will get my points back, but my main takeaway is that it is quite disturbing to hear definitive statements from accounting that points were NOT taken out when I know for a fact that it's not true. If they are unsure of what happened because of the merger-related mess, then take a few days to investigate, but don't tell me my account balance is fine when I know it's not.

What if I did not have the habit of taking screen shots? What if I was not lucky enough that I had made another unrelated reservation just prior to the one in question to prove what my account balance was immediately before I booked? I would have to kiss good bye to my points?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.