Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:

Print Wikipost

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm guessing you were with Marriott pre-merger and had no real experience with SPG. Both programs have had their ups and downs. Overall, I had better luck (and response time) with SPG, but I've still been mostly satisfied with Marriott's and now Bonvoy's implementation. The one significant letdown with Bonvoy's program is the requirement to book a non-refundable rate if the comparison rate is non-refundable. SPG had no such restriction.
You guessed wrong. I only joined Marriott when linking accounts became possible. I remember ‘fondly’ the one time I had to wait 9 days to get a reply from SPG’s BRG (no surprise, competing rate could not be found...) although usually they took an average of 3 days to process. German and French desks were clearly the worst, but generally speaking reply times were a total disaster. True, you can’t claim refundable against nonrefundable rates now, but on the other hand you can now claim a refundable rate against a competing refundable rate, which SPG did not allow.

Last edited by MePlatPremier; Jun 9, 2019 at 7:40 pm
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BONVOY Plat • IHG Plat • HH Gold • UA Silver
Newbie here. Did several successful BRGs at SPG in the pre-Marriott times, but I just got my first denial yesterday.

Turns out the same OTA shows different price for the US and the EU / UK customers, based on IP I guess. In this specific case, the US site shows a higher price excluding tax, the EU site shows a lower rate including tax, while the date, room type and all the conditions (breakfast, cancellation) are exactly the same. Both with instant confirmation of course.

I submitted the EU rate, the BRG agent found the US rate, so my claim was denied. Is there any practice to avoid this situation? Can I reach out directly to a european BRG team, who would be able to see the same rates and conditions as I do? Any fellow EU / UK guys here with some experience on this?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by gborz
Newbie here. Did several successful BRGs at SPG in the pre-Marriott times, but I just got my first denial yesterday.

Turns out the same OTA shows different price for the US and the EU / UK customers, based on IP I guess. In this specific case, the US site shows a higher price excluding tax, the EU site shows a lower rate including tax, while the date, room type and all the conditions (breakfast, cancellation) are exactly the same. Both with instant confirmation of course.

I submitted the EU rate, the BRG agent found the US rate, so my claim was denied. Is there any practice to avoid this situation? Can I reach out directly to a european BRG team, who would be able to see the same rates and conditions as I do? Any fellow EU / UK guys here with some experience on this?
There's nothing to do than search for another ota.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any fellow EU / UK guys here with some experience on this?
You use a VPN and incognito window to see if the rate is available in the US. It saves time for claims that will be denied and you might just get lucky with a different OTA.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

use localized ota, write in the comments section the language that you used and currency.

often the agent will use the lazy way.
With the comments posted previously you have a base to reject the lazy answer or innacurate one and get the acknowledgement after a second review.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
I don’t know how it is in the US but many of the competing OTAs that have BRG rates are European. European law highly prohibits price fixing, ie Marriott cannot legally punish any OTA for selling lower than their own rates.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/busines...s/index_en.htm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
I don’t know how it is in the US but many of the competing OTAs that have BRG rates are European. European law highly prohibits price fixing, ie Marriott cannot legally punish any OTA for selling lower than their own rates.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/busines...s/index_en.htm
File a report with the Commission...
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BONVOY Plat • IHG Plat • HH Gold • UA Silver
I don’t feel like to let this go, especially because I used to find some very competitive rates at EU localized OTAs. Per T&C we are perfectly allowed to compare any publicly available rate without any geographical limitation, so these are 100% valid claims by any measure.

Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
use localized ota, write in the comments section the language that you used and currency
This is exactly what I did, they are still unable to accept the claim. The problem is that some OTAs quotes different rates when checking from an european or american IP address. I really think that BRG teams should use VPN to validate claims from outside the US.

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
European law highly prohibits price fixing
As far as I know, EU laws also prohibits quoting rates without all the taxes and additional charges included. In many cases, this is also a problem: BRG agents usually thinks the claimed rate is without taxes.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
A New Low, I probably missed the change but I am pretty much done!

I just had a BRG rejected because the rate booked on Marriott.com was a advanced purchase rate and the one I submitted against it had a better cancellation policy by a couple of weeks. In the past never had an issue if the cancellation policy was more favorable on the competing site but just been told unless they match exactly they decline.

I fully get if the Marriott.com policy is better than competing they should decline but not the other way round. All it means it the hotels have to offer a better cancellation policy to the OTA's (even if just by a couple of days) and they never need worry about a BRG again! Talk about anti customer and pushing people back to the OTA's! Well thats my summer business lost, so 35 nights at Cat 6-8's and no only 9 days were BRG's rest was paid for!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
A New Low, I probably missed the change but I am pretty much done!
As far as I can tell, there has been no change, just a rogue agent. If you want to run away because of one rogue agent, you will never be satisfied anywhere. Every business has some.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
you can now claim a refundable rate against a competing refundable rate, which SPG did not allow.
Completely and utterly false, suggesting you never actually filed a BRG with SPG.
TerryK and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
After a dry run the past month, a couple of approvals:

Hotel Name: Woodlands Waterway Marriott
Date of Stay: Nov 2019 (1 night)
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: Standard
Marriott Brand Website Rate: $252
Competing Rate: $202
Actual Approved Rate: $151
BRG Award: 25%

Hotel Name: Renaissance Barcelona Fira
Date of Stay: Aug 2019 (3 nights)
Number of Rooms: 2
Number of Guests: 4
Room Type: Standard
Marriott Brand Website Rate: €146/nt
Competing Rate: €135/nt
Actual Approved Rate: €101/nt
BRG Award: 25%
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Completely and utterly false, suggesting you never actually filed a BRG with SPG.
your gratuitous and rude accusation of falsehood is completely and utterly false, suggesting you have no idea about what you are talking about. Before you comment something regarding other people’s posts try to educate yourself about what you are talking about, otherwise you’ll only give the, although most probably correct, impression that you are just some poor sorry ignorant going about blabbing on FT. But, then again, that would probably be asking too much of you.

Last edited by MePlatPremier; Jun 16, 2019 at 8:14 am
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
BRG for Ovolo Southside Hong Kong

Hi, first time BRG and help needed!!

Want to book Ovolo Southside (Design Hotel) in HK for July 15, one night and two adults. Per BRG rules it needs to be lowest rate on SPG so it would be 861 HKD plus 86.1 taxes which is 947.1 HKD total, this is Member advance purchase NON refundable rate.

I found on getaroom.com the same room (mini queen), NON refundable rate of 697.95 HKD and 69.83 taxes which is 767.78 HKD total.

Neither includes breakfast or anything special, besides the room for one night.

Can someone with experience tell me if this is, most probably, going to be a successful BRG? This the SPG rate is NOn refundable I don’t want to book it without somewhat of a good chance.

Thanks!!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Hi, first time BRG and help needed!!

Want to book Ovolo Southside (Design Hotel) in HK for July 15, one night and two adults. Per BRG rules it needs to be lowest rate on SPG so it would be 861 HKD plus 86.1 taxes which is 947.1 HKD total, this is Member advance purchase NON refundable rate.

I found on getaroom.com the same room (mini queen), NON refundable rate of 697.95 HKD and 69.83 taxes which is 767.78 HKD total.

Neither includes breakfast or anything special, besides the room for one night.

Can someone with experience tell me if this is, most probably, going to be a successful BRG? This the SPG rate is NOn refundable I don’t want to book it without somewhat of a good chance.

Thanks!!
Sorry, but DH properties are no longer eligible for the best rate guarantee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.