Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:

Print Wikipost

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by DealAddict
It's not that I don't want to... it is just that calling BRG line is kind of obviously not the thing to do since the email specifically says changes are not permitted.

Yes, it seems like another thing that has been Bonvoyed
I have done that last November to cut a stay short - however, the reservation doesn't reach the hotel so when I checked in they said I was going to stay 4 nights and I told them I changed the reservation. They were so puzzled and I had to forward the email from Bonvoy to them and asked for permission to change it.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by nacho
I have done that last November to cut a stay short - however, the reservation doesn't reach the hotel so when I checked in they said I was going to stay 4 nights and I told them I changed the reservation. They were so puzzled and I had to forward the email from Bonvoy to them and asked for permission to change it.
Who did you contact? Reservations not willing to do it
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DealAddict
It's not that I don't want to... it is just that calling BRG line is kind of obviously not the thing to do since the email specifically says changes are not permitted.

Yes, it seems like another thing that has been Bonvoyed
It's not #Bonvoyed if we're expected to follow the spirit of the program rules.

Edit: That being said, we'd reasonably expect them to also follow their rules.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
There’s a whole wide world of knowledge beyond whatever it is that you think you know — makemytrip.com is partially owned by ctrip.com who appoints half of its BOD and, regardless of ownership, is one of their affiliate websites, fully integrated with ctrip’s overall distribution channels.
Ok, less than half, but you are right, Ctrip got ownership over large chunk of MMT last year. That's why apparently MMT became such crap recently with all their earlier promos gone.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Well just denied, maybe my fault, or maybe just a throw back to the old SPG days:

Did a BRG against an OTA for 3 PAX. Looked a dead certainty but was rejected as they don't include the extra person charge just the rate on the OTA as "the room charge" vs the room with no extra person at Marriott. Seems rather unfair TBH.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Well just denied, maybe my fault, or maybe just a throw back to the old SPG days:

Did a BRG against an OTA for 3 PAX. Looked a dead certainty but was rejected as they don't include the extra person charge just the rate on the OTA as "the room charge" vs the room with no extra person at Marriott. Seems rather unfair TBH.
I can certainly understand where you're coming from but the extra person charges are property dependent and collected as a "surcharge" which isn't a part of the BRG program unfortunately.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: Aegean Gold, United Mileage Plus Silver, Privilege Club Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite (LTP)
Exchange Rate - Marriott.com

Does anyone know from where Marriott.com gets their exchange rates? https://www.marriott.com/reservation...yCalculator.mi

I submitted a claim for 719.42 EUR, which was converted by the team to 812.59 USD as per the Marriott.com exchange rate.
I checked myself on xe.com (773.98 USD as of 22-03-2020) and on oanda.com (769.50 USD as of 22-03-2020) which both seem to have a more realistic exchange rate.
The competing rate was 810 USD and therefore the claim was ultimately rejected. I understand that marginal differences can exist within 1% to 2% but that is almost a 7% difference.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:33 am

Sheraton Old San Juan

Hotel Name: Sheraton Old San Juan
Date of stay: February 13-14
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: 1 bedroom junior suite
Marriott Brand Website Rate: 388

Competing Rate: 286
Actual Approved Rate: 214

Initially, denied because the OTA has you pay at the time of booking even with free cancellation and fully refundable. I requested that it be escalated because most OTAs require payment at booking but the terms are not of an advanced purchase/prepaid type rate.

It was all approved via email very quickly and the supervisor was very apologetic. I was surprised as they corrected it and offered points for the inconvenience. I got the sense that this has been happening a lot. Funny thing is I wasn’t even all that bothered, I go in expecting to just resubmit 😊
margarita girl and joakgarp like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Yes as along the OTA has a flexible rate type the compassion should be with the flexible rate type on marriott.com ... wonder if the BRG team is still around.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by X-ON
... wonder if the BRG team is still around.
Seems like they're still working, got a denial within an hour a few days ago.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY GOLD,
Just attempted my first request with Bonvoy since move from SPG, failed! But I cant understand why, I keep checking the details and checking the price and keep getting the same rates vs Marriott booked rate:

Hotel Name: St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
Arrival Date: 2020-11-26
Departure Date: 2020-12-03
Number of Rooms: 1
Room Type: Overwater Villa with Pool, 1 Bedroom Villa, 1 King, Sofa bed
Marriott Brand Website Rate: 1,019.20 USD per night per room
Competing Rate: 936 USD per night per room
Competing Web Site: booking.com

Failed as they say they cannot see the rate on booking.com

I have tried and re-tried and keep seeing the rate as I claimed for above, I escalated this and had a manager tell me the same. If anyone can see how or why our rates are different then Id appreciate it, its driving me crazy!

I even created screen capture video that I have sent to them to show the steps i went through to get the rate - no reply on that yet.

Any advice would be appreciated on next steps!

Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JacHeCan

I have tried and re-tried and keep seeing the rate as I claimed for above, I escalated this and had a manager tell me the same. If anyone can see how or why our rates are different then Id appreciate it, its driving me crazy!
Booking.com gives lower rates to people booking from outside the US. When you try to book from the US (via a VPN or otherwise) you get a higher price.

Because Marriott usually reviews BRG claims from inside the US, your claim will never be approved. Sorry...
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY GOLD,
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Booking.com gives lower rates to people booking from outside the US. When you try to book from the US (via a VPN or otherwise) you get a higher price.

Because Marriott usually reviews BRG claims from inside the US, your claim will never be approved. Sorry...
OK that would explain what they are seeing and in that case I presume they know this scenario with booking.com - it does devalue their BRG for anyone outside of the US as this means there are mainstream online sites offering better pricing of which BRG isnt valid for.
I can cancel the booking still (due to new terms in place) so will do that.

Thanks for the suggested reason for the mismatch.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by JacHeCan
Just attempted my first request with Bonvoy since move from SPG, failed! But I cant understand why, I keep checking the details and checking the price and keep getting the same rates vs Marriott booked rate:

Hotel Name: St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
Arrival Date: 2020-11-26
Departure Date: 2020-12-03
Number of Rooms: 1
Room Type: Overwater Villa with Pool, 1 Bedroom Villa, 1 King, Sofa bed
Marriott Brand Website Rate: 1,019.20 USD per night per room
Competing Rate: 936 USD per night per room
Competing Web Site: booking.com

I even created screen capture video that I have sent to them to show the steps i went through to get the rate - no reply on that yet.

Any advice would be appreciated on next steps!

Thanks!
Yes when looking from US it is higher.

Write them back giving more details where you are searching from, what device, safari or chrome etc.
More details the better. You might have a chance.
Good luck.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
For the garden villa with pool I get a total rate of $7589 when searching from outside the US and $9163.20 when searching from inside the US, using a VPN. That's a significant difference. I don't know if that helps you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.