Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:

Print Wikipost

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
OP's rate booked at Mehrriott.com is Flexible. OTA rate compared is non-refundable.

I am assuming that there was no non-refundable rate MR.com

I guess this is a new rule for BRGs? Coz i thought it had to be flex vs flex or non-ref vs non-ref?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
If Marriott doesn’t offer a non-refundable rate, you can compare a flex rate to a prepaid rate. Otherwise the rate types have to match.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I compare a Member rate (fully flexible, free cancellation, no prepayment required) on marriott to a flex rate on competing website.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, but if there is no non-refundable rate on the Marriott website, you can compare it to a prepaid rate on another website. That’s quite handy because it increases the chances of the BRG claim being approved.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Be aware of some hotels don’t honor the original term of booking. The charged me the total cost of booking more than 6 months in advance. My original term of booking is fully flexible and free cancellation. No prepayment required at all.

in my case, it’s a Renaissance hotel in Paris......
I compare a Member rate (fully flexible, free cancellation, no prepayment required) on marriott to a flex rate on competing website.
Lurker confirmed, under SPG, that BRG is a separate rate plan with its own cancellation policy set by property. Hence, even if you compare nonrefundable rate against nonrefundable rate, approved BRG rate may be flexible. OTOH, even if you compare flexible rate against flexible rate, approved BRG rate may be nonrefundable.

The flexibility of rates used for comparison has no bearing on flexibility of BRG rate. It all depends on how property define BRG rate plan. I recall Sheraton Gateway LAX, and at least one more that I encountered, is like that. OTOH, I also have had a few nonrefundable BRG approved where rate plan became flexible.

Last edited by TerryK; Nov 17, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Lurker confirmed, under SPG, that BRG is a separate rate plan with its own cancellation policy set by property. Hence, even if you compare nonrefundable rate against nonrefundable rate, approved BRG rate may still be flexible. OTOH, even if you compare flexible rate against flexible rate, approved BRG rate may be nonrefundable. The flexibility of rates used for comparison has no bearing on flexibility of BRG rate. It all depends on how property define BRG rate plan.

I recall Sheraton Gateway LAX, and at least one more that I encountered, is like that. I also have had a few nonrefundable rate BRG approved where rate became flexible.
That was the case with SPG where the BRG rate plan followed whatever rules were established at that property for the SPG50 rate plan.

But I don’t believe this is the case with Bonvoy.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:28 pm

It seems to me the old SPG employees are following some SPG rules and not the old Marriott rules.

The only inconsistency I’ve personally encountered is not having my BRG rate updated on one of my reservations on my account even though I’ve been told hotel does have corrected rates in file.
will see next week.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:25 pm

Below is the latest email i got from the hotel

===============================================

Good afternoon Mr. 3rdworldresident,

Thank you for the confirmation!

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please, find attached the credit done back to your credit card!

Have a great day!

Xxxxxx Xxxxxx

===============================================

this is the result i expected.

i think it’s unfair for guests if each hotel can define condition term of BRG booking in the way they want.

a ton of prepaid rates were available when i made this booking. I also specifically indicated (in the comment section) that i want to compare the flexible rate. (which i actually don't have to because i made a flexible rate booking already.)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: E50K, DL GM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Rocketmiles?

I found a rate that I want to book that is cheaper on rocketmiles.com, all the same specifications. For around $100 less vs. Marriott over a four-night stay.

The rocket miles booking also provides be with 19,000 United MileagePlus miles

Any experience with the guarantee and Rocketmiles?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Is it just me or are other people getting little emails from the property (typically the front desk manager) right after a BRG is approved. Something like this
"Dear Mr. Renard,
I just wanted to follow up as I understand Marriott already lowered the rate for your upcoming reservation via Best Rate Guarantee option." . The same guy who sent this also checked me in and also mentioned it. I was shocked. This was from a former SPG property in the Washington DC area.

I just had another successful BRG approved this week with a different former SPG property in the D.C. area and got a similar email for a stay next month. (I am in the same area but purposely avoiding the previous property because I was unhappy with this.... and here it happened again!)

I normally don't get little 'welcome' letters like this when making a reservation with a Marriott property. It seems very passive aggressive to me. Personally it is very unwelcome. These are both full service Westins.... not what I would expect from any Marriott property not to mention a full-service one.
Anyone else seen behavior like this? I feel like calling corporate and complaining and I'm not the type to complain and certainly not the corporate. This has rubbed me the wrong way to say the least.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:25 pm

Another issue with BRG department.

my original booking is for 3 persons in a room. I submitted a BRG claim and it got approved.

however, the BRG agent did not mention that the adjusted rate is also for 3 persons. he indicated NOTHING in the adjusted rate, just the number “XXXX.XX THB”.

I found it very annoying and ambiguous. The hotel will (wrongly) charge me the extra person fee at check out. I had this kind of issue before at some (former spg) hotels and tired of arguing with them.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Renard
Is it just me or are other people getting little emails from the property (typically the front desk manager) right after a BRG is approved. Something like this
"Dear Mr. Renard,

I just wanted to follow up as I understand Marriott already lowered the rate for your upcoming reservation via Best Rate Guarantee option." . The same guy who sent this also checked me in and also mentioned it. I was shocked. This was from a former SPG property in the Washington DC area.

I just had another successful BRG approved this week with a different former SPG property in the D.C. area and got a similar email for a stay next month. (I am in the same area but purposely avoiding the previous property because I was unhappy with this.... and here it happened again!)

I normally don't get little 'welcome' letters like this when making a reservation with a Marriott property. It seems very passive aggressive to me. Personally it is very unwelcome. These are both full service Westins.... not what I would expect from any Marriott property not to mention a full-service one.
Anyone else seen behavior like this? I feel like calling corporate and complaining and I'm not the type to complain and certainly not the corporate. This has rubbed me the wrong way to say the least.
I recently received one from a Towneplace Suites claiming that they lowered the rate after receiving notice from BRG department. I thought with legacy Marriott brands the BRG department lowers the rate but either way I am not sure what the purpose of the email is?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Another issue with BRG department.

my original booking is for 3 persons in a room. I submitted a BRG claim and it got approved.

however, the BRG agent did not mention that the adjusted rate is also for 3 persons. he indicated NOTHING in the adjusted rate, just the number “XXXX.XX THB”.

I found it very annoying and ambiguous. The hotel will (wrongly) charge me the extra person fee at check out. I had this kind of issue before at some (former spg) hotels and tired of arguing with them.
Does it still show 3 guests on Marriott.com? If it got changed from 3 --> 2 just Email them back and for it to be corrected.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Does it still show 3 guests on Marriott.com? If it got changed from 3 --> 2 just Email them back and for it to be corrected.
The number of guest remains 3 persons but there is an “Extra person fee” line too.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I recently received one from a Towneplace Suites claiming that they lowered the rate after receiving notice from BRG department. I thought with legacy Marriott brands the BRG department lowers the rate but either way I am not sure what the purpose of the email is?
That’s been my impression too. I typically receive the updated reservation moments after the email stating the BRG was approved—from either legacy Marriott or former SPG brands. I doubt someone is processing these at the property moments after it is approved.

Clearly they are receiving notice of the successful BRG claim from Marriott but I am certainly not convinced the email is informative in nature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.