Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:

Print Wikipost

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Hotel Name: Dulles Airport Marriott
Date of stay: Sep 2019 - 1/nt
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: 1 King
Marriott Brand Website Rate: 114 USD
Competing Rate: 88 USD
Actual Approved Rate: 66 USD

Hotel Name: Key Bridge Marriott Arlington
Date of stay: Sept 2019 - 1/nt
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: 1 King
Marriott Brand Website Rate: 104 USD
Competing Rate: 85 USD
Actual Approved Rate: 61 USD
I’m curious why you’re taking 25% off on such cheap one night stays. Surely, buying 5000 pts for $22 is a smoking deal.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I’m curious why you’re taking 25% off on such cheap one night stays. Surely, buying 5000 pts for $22 is a smoking deal.
I have plenty of points. Plenty. So, buying 5,000 for $22 isn't worth anything to me right now.

I could use points for either of these hotels starting at 17,500 points, but even at 5,000 for $22, it would be $77 in cash offset value for 17,500 points (more than I would pay for these nights).

I also don't love the idea of tracking the points (I've taken the points maybe once, back in the SPG days, and I remember it was a a hassle). Usually prefer cold hard cash because its easy to verify the correct rate at check out.

If I needed/wanted points, I would definitely take the points. But, cash is worth more to me now than points which, who knows what they'll be worth come Sep 14.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have plenty of points. Plenty. So, buying 5,000 for $22 isn't worth anything to me right now.
If you are unwilling to accumulate 5,000 points for $22 and have plenty of points, then you should be SPENDING points on your hotel stays, not messing around with BRG claims.

Award nights count for status, and if you are spending somebody else's money then you should definitely choose the points.

Can't think of a good reason to avoid ridiculously cheap points yet not redeem an accumulated points balance...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you are unwilling to accumulate 5,000 points for $22 and have plenty of points, then you should be SPENDING points on your hotel stays, not messing around with BRG claims.

Award nights count for status, and if you are spending somebody else's money then you should definitely choose the points.

Can't think of a good reason to avoid ridiculously cheap points yet not redeem an accumulated points balance...
One of the age-old questions of Flyertalk - what are points worth, and when should I use them versus cash?

There are plenty of times I use points. Have other 30 nights redeemed this year. Just don't redeem them in place of $66 stays is all - and that's my subjective value determination, which is different for each individual.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
One of the age-old questions of Flyertalk - what are points worth, and when should I use them versus cash?

There are plenty of times I use points. Have other 30 nights redeemed this year. Just don't redeem them in place of $66 stays is all - and that's my subjective value determination, which is different for each individual.
As long as you don't fall into the typical fallacy of spending a 100k points to avoid a $400 per night rate (because that feels painful) in order to avoid spending 10k points on a $66 stay (which feels cheap) then do whatever you want.

The maths tell most of us to take 5000 points over a $22 rate reduction every single time.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:33 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
As long as you don't fall into the typical fallacy of spending a 100k points to avoid a $400 per night rate (because that feels painful) in order to avoid spending 10k points on a $66 stay (which feels cheap) then do whatever you want.

The maths tell most of us to take 5000 points over a $22 rate reduction every single time.
I'm not sure why everyone is so worried about what someone else does in such a scenario. It in no way impacts me or anyone else when a member chooses the cash discount over extra points. Everyone values points and cash differently. It's fine.
btonkid12345 and 604flyer like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'm not sure why everyone is so worried about what someone else does in such a scenario. It in no way impacts me or anyone else when a member chooses the cash discount over extra points. Everyone values points and cash differently. It's fine.
Fair enough that margaritagirl asked. I explained myself. Hopefully we can respect others' difference of opinions, and varied approaches, about subjective matters, and get back to BRG-ing. ^
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I could use points for either of these hotels starting at 17,500 points, but even at 5,000 for $22, it would be $77 in cash offset value for 17,500 points (more than I would pay for these nights).
I thought they are like Cat 4 or 5 hotels? How come they are only 17,500 points/night?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Can I ask how the BRG works for 2 rooms of different category in the same hotel?

Both the 1 king and 2 double I want are significantly cheaper on uk hotels.com both full refundable rates. Will Marriot allow me to match both or only 1?

Reason I ask is because of the disclaimer on the site saying only 1 BRG per location per stay period but then also says up to three rooms per property?

If it is only 1 I'd match the 2 double as I can get the king on a cheaper (but non-refundable rate) if the double match was successful or even book via Hotels.com as I only get EQN for 1 of the rooms anyway.
In the past I got BRG for 9 rooms. Recently, when I have multiple rooms they give me the BRG discount for 3 rooms and simply match the price on the rest. You can get the better competing rate, but not the 25% discount or 5k points an anything over 3 rooms.

Last edited by lexdevil; Aug 22, 2019 at 9:50 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Marriott Cancun
2019-12-13 to 2019-12-22
Marriott rate reserved: 2,423.54 USD

Competitor rate: 1089 USD (excluding resort fee).
Matched total to 1,232.15 USD

Last edited by hhoope01; Aug 22, 2019 at 6:37 pm Reason: removed name of competitor site per rules of this thread.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl

I was wondering the same but looked at an upcoming stay where the retail rate is $324 and the BRG rate would be $150 before the 25% discount so I figured the 5,000 points would be better than $37.50 in savings to make up for the deficit.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by honzeek_cz

Marriott Cancun
2019-12-13 to 2019-12-22
Marriott rate reserved: 2,423.54 USD

competitor rate: 1089 USD (excluding resort fee).
Matched total to 1,232.15 USD
I just submitted a claim for the Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa in September where Marriott.com wanted $324+tax and a competitor site was offering $150+tax (or $185+tax).

So we'll see if the BRG team gives me a hassle over this since there's clearly a few lower rates available on competitor versus Marriott.

Last edited by hhoope01; Aug 22, 2019 at 6:38 pm Reason: removed references to competitor site per rules of this thread.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
I see that many (all?) properties allow a day cancellation even on non refundable rates. This is stated at booking time.

Has anyone tried this to file brg claims on non refundable rates with the idea of cancelling the reservation if the claim is not approved?

If so what do you use as cut off time for the cancellation? The timezone of the date is not mentioned on the booking as far as I can see. And does it involve a refund or is it that payment is only taken after a day from booking?

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
I see that many (all?) properties allow a day cancellation even on non refundable rates. This is stated at booking time.

Has anyone tried this to file brg claims on non refundable rates with the idea of cancelling the reservation if the claim is not approved?

If so what do you use as cut off time for the cancellation? The timezone of the date is not mentioned on the booking as far as I can see. And does it involve a refund or is it that payment is only taken after a day from booking?

Thanks
It’s midnight hotel time of the following day. No reason you can’t cancel if BRG is not approved.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
First time a claim has taken that long for me. 60 hours to respond. But they approved it, so all is good Sheraton YYZ Gateway from 280 CAD to 120 CAD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.