Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Combine Accounts Update

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by magendim
Also my points showing on the SPG and Marriott pages are identical at 527,496. Pre-website merger I had something like 175-200K SPG points and over 500K Marriott. With the SPG 1 to 3 conversion, I should have a total of around a million or so points. Did I get somehow hosed when they combined the websites or will my total points be 527,496 times 2?
Please check your screenshots for the exact amount of SPG pts you had pre-merger. 175K X 3 = 525K, so doesn’t sound like you’re very far off. Are you sure the 2 numbers are identical, or just very similar? 527,496 X 2 = 1,054,992 so that’s pretty close to 1 million.

(I ask because a friend also claimed her 2 numbers were identical, but in fact 2 digits were swapped. They were pretty darn close though!)
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Please check your screenshots for the exact amount of SPG pts you had pre-merger. 175K X 3 = 525K, so doesn’t sound like you’re very far off. Are you sure the 2 numbers are identical, or just very similar? 527,496 X 2 = 1,054,992 so that’s pretty close to 1 million.

(I ask because a friend also claimed her 2 numbers were identical, but in fact 2 digits were swapped. They were pretty darn close though!)
Yep, weird, same thing with me two numbers swapped... I must get dyslexic after a long work day... So points appear to be ok...

Still curious about the all zeros on the Marriott side of things tho...
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by magendim
I was going to combine accounts today, but ran into a couple of issues?? When I started the process a bit ago and got to the second page where it show current SPG stats on the left and Marriott on the right, SPG shows the correct numbers for 2018 - nights, SNAs, etc. However, the Marriott side shows all zeros even though I did a couple of Marriott stays this year.

Also my points showing on the SPG and Marriott pages are identical at 527,496. Pre-website merger I had something like 175-200K SPG points and over 500K Marriott. With the SPG 1 to 3 conversion, I should have a total of around a million or so points. Did I get somehow hosed when they combined the websites or will my total points be 527,496 times 2?

My lifetime info such as nights, years, etc is correct on both accounts and am on target to be grandfathered into LTPPE during the jan sweeps.

Just worried my combined accounts will get screwed up even more if I go through with the combine accounts....
Be sure to take screenshots of your accounts BEFORE combining to show what you have (remember the 1:3 conversion of SPG was done in August). Also, double check the combination screen to make sure they are moving everything to the desired account (their links always tried moving my SPG data to MR account). And, be sure to complete the combination before the end of December to make sure your account is in place for the January sweep. I would bet your point total will show correctly after the combination or could be corrected after that fact.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I am trying to combine my account. I am login from spg.com using the "new" account. But when I tried to combine it it shows the rewards profile as the "old" MR number.

How can I retain the "new" SPG number and why the system is showing my "old" MR number.

Is this why everytime I asked for missing stays it got posted to "old" MR account even I give them a "new" SPG nunmbers?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by Typhoonpilot
I am keeping mine separate on purpose for the exact reason above. I am trying to hit Marriott Lifetime Gold under the old rules (500 nights and 1.6 million points) by year end. Should actually have it wrapped up by the end of November or early December. Once old Lifetime Gold is confirmed by Marriott I will combine accounts, but not until then.
If you are on pace to get there soon, then I agree with just keeping things separate until you pass the finish line because you can never be too sure with these things. However, my personal data point seems to contradict what has long been reported here, so I'll share in case anyone out there is in a slightly different boat. Lifetime night and point stats based on legacy Marriott rules were still visible on the site for a few weeks after the merger, including a week or so after I combined. I checked my balance then, rechecked periodically until it went away, got screenshots of everything along the way, and also called in for an updated balance just last week (the call lasted a total of three minutes, BTW). Based on that, all of my lifetime SPG nights, as well as all of my post-8/18 SPG points, were included in my legacy Marriott stats.
PS. Also contrary to popular belief, after I combined, my lifetime years increased by the 2 SPG years I had from matching with Marriott.

Last edited by Saidoh; Nov 21, 2018 at 6:12 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by lingua101
I am trying to combine my account. I am login from spg.com using the "new" account. But when I tried to combine it it shows the rewards profile as the "old" MR number.

How can I retain the "new" SPG number and why the system is showing my "old" MR number.

Is this why everytime I asked for missing stays it got posted to "old" MR account even I give them a "new" SPG nunmbers?
When I tried combining my accounts MR > SPG using the links on the website it kept trying to move everything to MR, not what I asked for or wanted. I finally tried the link in the Wiki after I logged into my SPG account and it went fine. You could be having a problem with the cookies. Log into each account and make sure the Remember Me selection is unchecked. You can prove this took by once again trying to log in and it should request your user name. If neither process works try a different browser.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:53 am

What about someone who is not a very frequent hotel guest? I have not had any stays since end of July. The reward totals and nights are correct for each account. However, I made SPG Platinum based on 25 stays in April of this year. The combined number of nights is only 47. I fear that if I combine the accounts now, then I will lose the status next year. I don't have any planned stays until middle of next year. I will be using my Hyatt points until then.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headinclouds
What about someone who is not a very frequent hotel guest? I have not had any stays since end of July. The reward totals and nights are correct for each account. However, I made SPG Platinum based on 25 stays in April of this year. The combined number of nights is only 47. I fear that if I combine the accounts now, then I will lose the status next year. I don't have any planned stays until middle of next year. I will be using my Hyatt points until then.
You should be good to go for combining your accounts. The Platinum status for 25 stays will not kick in until after January regardless. I say get your screenshots in that proves you have 25 SPG stays and combine your accounts. This way you have plenty of time to correct any errors that might crop up from the combination and still have time for the sweep.

Where do you stand on LT status? Any chance the combination will bump you that way?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:31 pm

Not even close to LT status. Was with Hilton, then Hyatt, and now SPG/MR. I have always gotten status on stays rather than nights. I already have screen shots of the SPG activity. Just need to make the Marriott screen shots.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by RogerD408
When I tried combining my accounts MR > SPG using the links on the website it kept trying to move everything to MR, not what I asked for or wanted. I finally tried the link in the Wiki after I logged into my SPG account and it went fine. You could be having a problem with the cookies. Log into each account and make sure the Remember Me selection is unchecked. You can prove this took by once again trying to log in and it should request your user name. If neither process works try a different browser.
Thanks Roger. I do not have "Remember Me" selection checked.

And I am sure I am starting from SPG side, as it as for the MR account (which I did not remember and I hence enter using the email address, which I have changed previously to differentiate the 2).

Well anyway I redo the process, thinking that I would raise it if there is still a problem. But surprisingly, it works.... Same process but end result is different..... Very strange

I think my MR was defaulted as the "account" as every time I report missing stay, it will post to that account even I gave them my ":new" SPG number.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Combining Accounts: Keep SPG or Marriott number

Deleted

Last edited by PrivatePilot; Dec 14, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I finally decided to pull the trigger and combine my SPG and Marriott accounts. The problem is I am not sure which account number to keep. I am a legacy Starwood member and have 9 years of Platinum with SPG (this year will be my 10th) but I also had a Marriott account in the past which I sometimes used. Freak that I am, I memorized both numbers over time. On one hand, I want to keep my SPG number since thats where it all started for me in terms of hotel points, etc. but since they changed the SPG number to a new number, that number means nothing to me. So am leaning of keeping the Marriott number that I know.

So any reason I should keep the "new" SPG number? I will be Lifetime platinum this year based on SPG stays but dont think that should matter on what account number I should keep?

In a prior life, I was also a Pan Am FF # which ultimately made its way to my current Delta FF# (starts with 401). To this day, a veteran Delta employee will recognize it and say something which makes me glad I kept that number as opposed to switching to the Skymiles number I also had. However, I dont think SPG has that following as Pan Am did so not sure that would matter.

I know I am overthinking this but any reason I should stick to oen number over the other?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I liked my new SPG number a lot (even though I had 9 Plat years w/my old one)
Never liked my old Marriott number nor found it easy to memorize

Ergo, went with new SPG number

No real reason either way in your case
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
What is this "sweep" people think Marriott is going to perform in January?

I have not merged my 2 accounts yet. I am already over 75 nights in my Marriott account, so I don't see any hurry to merge, but if this "sweep" gives me some reason to hurry up and merge, then I'll do it.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jn in ca
What is this "sweep" people think Marriott is going to perform in January?

I have not merged my 2 accounts yet. I am already over 75 nights in my Marriott account, so I don't see any hurry to merge, but if this "sweep" gives me some reason to hurry up and merge, then I'll do it.
There's almost a 1,000 posts in this thread many talking about the sweep. Bottom line is if you are hoping to qualify under legacy rules for either annual or LT status, then the sweep will pick that up then. Combining accounts may get you there too. If all you are worried about is your annual status and you've crossed that line in one account, then nothing is needed. The other advantage of combining your accounts is to have a single account and not worrying about which account to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.