Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Combine Accounts Update

Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
A family member only has an SPG account (and has received his new number). I presume that no further action is required on his part and he will just keep his current number/account going forward. Is this correct?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by margarita girl
A family member only has an SPG account (and has received his new number). I presume that no further action is required on his part and he will just keep his current number/account going forward. Is this correct?
Yes, no action needed.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Zero might be fixed. I was finally able to book an SPG hotel using points the other day and my account number didn't show the 0 on the spg.com website.
My MR account does begin with a zero and I was able to book an SPG property, which didn't work just a few weeks ago. Fair to say changes are continuing.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had to pull the trigger due to upcoming stay. So, i merged the accounts, starting with my SPG #; points balance and number of nights look correct.
None of my programm noumbers started with "0".
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:59 am

My Marriott number starts with a 0. I combined recently bc I needed to consolidate points. I kept the Marriott # bc I'm PPE, and my SPG account only showed Platinum. I'm wondering if I should have gone the other direction though, bc now my account # starts with a 0, which seems to have its own issues. Specifically, I have the new SPG Luxury AMEX, and my points aren't showing up anywhere, which I suspect may be because AMEX and Marriott aren't linking properly bc of the 0 issue. And, like others, when I book an SPG property, it shows my account # without the 0. That would be fine, except the reservation doesn't actually show up in my list of upcoming reservations, on either the website or the app. I do have a confirmation # by email, and they did deduct the points, so I feel ok in assuming the reservation is safe, but I'd feel better if I could see it!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbw5t
My Marriott number starts with a 0. I combined recently bc I needed to consolidate points. I kept the Marriott # bc I'm PPE, and my SPG account only showed Platinum. I'm wondering if I should have gone the other direction though, bc now my account # starts with a 0, which seems to have its own issues. Specifically, I have the new SPG Luxury AMEX, and my points aren't showing up anywhere, which I suspect may be because AMEX and Marriott aren't linking properly bc of the 0 issue. And, like others, when I book an SPG property, it shows my account # without the 0. That would be fine, except the reservation doesn't actually show up in my list of upcoming reservations, on either the website or the app. I do have a confirmation # by email, and they did deduct the points, so I feel ok in assuming the reservation is safe, but I'd feel better if I could see it!
I don't have enough points for a reward stay, but I did do a cash stay with my MR account (starting with a zero). So you might want to try again and see if they've been able to implement a fix. Combining from SPG should not have created in issues and the higher of the two will be the one to survive. But that's too late now.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
Any reason to NOT merge?

I am sure once combined you can’t separate you Marriot and SPG accounts. That said is there any reason to NOT mergre them at this point?

Points transfers or partners or something? I am curious why Marriott didn’t just automatically combine them anyway?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
There are lots of reasons not to merge right away. But they aren't necessarily mainstream for the vast majority of members. And eventually Marriott will start cracking down on duplicate accounts (for promos, etc.)

FWIW, an automatic merger would have resulted in the biggest IT meltdown and PR disaster in recent memory...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Does anyone know how to check lifetime status? After merging my accounts several weeks ago I was showing as LTP on marriott.com and now I can no longer see my lifetime status when clicking on my profile or overview. I will be most annoyed if there was an error and this has now been changed,
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:52 am

If I have 261 nights in combined, How do I know how many are spg and how many are Marriott? I can not login to my old spg number anymore to check and the new one only shows combined. Asking because I was very close to spg gold and don’t want to miss it by a day or two before year end.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Does anyone know how to check lifetime status? After merging my accounts several weeks ago I was showing as LTP on marriott.com and now I can no longer see my lifetime status when clicking on my profile or overview. I will be most annoyed if there was an error and this has now been changed,
Your current LT status should show on those pages, but it should also show on the phone app, so you could check if it's still showing there.

If your LT status is based on current totals (as opposed to pre-merger LT status), check those numbers. Once you are logged in, go to this link:
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myA...ightDetails.mi
That will show your lifetime totals (nights, plus years as silver+, gold+, and platinum.
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Khondker Rumman Akhter
If I have 261 nights in combined, How do I know how many are spg and how many are Marriott? I can not login to my old spg number anymore to check and the new one only shows combined. Asking because I was very close to spg gold and don’t want to miss it by a day or two before year end.
Looks like you found your answer. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30328356-post226.html
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethan76
I am sure once combined you can’t separate you Marriot and SPG accounts. That said is there any reason to NOT mergre them at this point?

Points transfers or partners or something? I am curious why Marriott didn’t just automatically combine them anyway?
The reasons not to merge include if you data appears wrong at one site and you're trying to get it fixed (because it'll add to the same data from other site once it's merged and you'may be able to tell at that point if/when it gets fixed), if you're trying to qualify for lifetime status using legacy Marriott or SPG rules and thus you want to keep seeing your Marriott lifetime nights and your SPG lifetime nights separately, etc, etc.

Once you combine, AFAIK you can't see you Marriott lifetime statistics and SPG lifetime statistics separately any more, nor your Marriott annual statistics and your SPG annual statistics any more, in case that matters to you.

But these various reasons only apply to some people and not others. And that's presumably why Marriott doesn't want to do it automatically yet (at least not until Jan 1, 2019, at which point legacy status earning rules will vanish completely).
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb Watch what happens

Ok, read some posts about LTPP issued for combined accounts, so decided to pull the trigger. I wanted to keep my SPG number (non-zero starting digit) so I logged into that and then followed the links to combine, requested to provide MR credentials (looking good), and when I got to the data review page it stated my SPG data would be added to my MR account data. What??? Tried again just to make sure I didn't miss anything and it repeated. Ok, being the optimist I am, I logged out and back into my MR account, requested SPG credentials, and still came back saying my SPG data will be added to my MR account data! Pulled up FT and getting ready to post and thought, hey, let's try the link in the Wiki, so I selected the one to keep my SPG number and logged in using my SPG credentials, ok alls well so far. But then I was taken to the review screen saying my MR data will be added to my SPG account! Um, I never provided my MR credentials... I've checked the numbers and the initial counts are correct, my SPG account was moved from LTG to LTP and waiting for LTPP to show up. If not soon, then expect it to happen in January (I have over 2M MR points AND I have over 10 years as Plat in EACH of the programs).

I'm wondering if those that find they have been locked out mistakenly combined into the wrong account? I'm just glad I chose to use different email addresses for each account, so there were no issues with the merge and makes it easy to know which account is which. And I will change my email once I see all my data combined.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I'm just glad I chose to use different email addresses for each account, so there were no issues with the merge and makes it easy to know which account is which. And I will change my email once I see all my data combined.
Yeah... who knew that having different email addresses would be a lifesaver. I'd say that 90% of my accounts use a single email address, except for my Marriott account...

I'm still waiting to see an elite year show up on the Marriott side of things for 2018.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.