Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Combine Accounts Update

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I've posted this a couple of times already, but apparently not in this thread.

It was a known issue that YTD nights were counted twice in the LT total. My LT nights dropped by 50+ nights last night but they had been increased by that amount on Aug 18. There were multiple banners on the app warning that LT nights were incorrect.

Did you notice if LT nights took a big jump on Aug 18?
No, my LT nights didn't jump (I have the before and after screenshots) on August 18, but now they took away 6 LT nights for no reason. It doesn't affect my LT PL status; It only matters to my decision whether to shoot for 750 nights by the end of the year.

Typically as a matter of customer service, Marriott should think twice about clawing back nights or years due to the company's error. A reference point. About 9-10 years ago, Marriott double-counted some of the rollover nights so some people's status incorrectly jumped at the beginning of the year. Marriott did claw back those nights but they sent an apology email and gave everyone impacted 10 bonus nights. Now, this time, things are screwed by its IT team outsourced to China. I bet they can care less about any IT errors. They run those little scripts to subtract nights one day and add some back on the other. Total screw-up. And we have no recourse because most people don't keep a spreadsheet with 10-15 years of transactions and statuses recorded.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
For those of you asking about booking award nights at SPG properties after combining accounts. Proceed with caution. I tried to book a points rez and it errored out but still took the points. Still missing a week a later. Hold times excessive, phone rep can’t figure out problem, no rez, missing points, no activity in account, no twitter DM solution.
This is a huge concern for me given the opportunity to book top SPG properties at temporarily reduced point levels. Did you combine into your legacy Marriott or SPG account?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by naumank
things are screwed by its IT team outsourced to China. I bet they can care less about any IT errors.
Would you feel better if it was good 'ol USA IT idiots causing this mess? What does it matter the origin of IT?

/sigh
nabeelj likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
After the Aug 18 changes, my SPG LT nights jumped by 15. This morning, they decreased by 10.
My SPG YTD nights were incorrect after Aug 18 (too low), but today they appear to have been corrected.

This afternoon, a stay posted in my SPG account and a stay posted in my Marriott account.
Both stays incremented the YTD night counters but not the LT counters.
These are the first stays that did not increment the LT counters.
Edit: A SPG stay from right after Aug 18 appears to have been removed from my SPG LT counter. I have had no other Marriott stays since Aug 18 besides the one that posted today.

So my SPG and MR counters seems stuck on their (newly updated) Aug 18 values.

Last edited by Spent_All_My_Miles; Sep 6, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:34 pm
BCH

Is anyone is the situation that once their 2017 Marriott nights and SPG nights combined, they achieved the next Elite tier? Mine should get me to Platinum Premier, but hasn't, even though I've combined the accounts.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Would you feel better if it was good 'ol USA IT idiots causing this mess? What does it matter the origin of IT?

/sigh
Because I read the article someone posted a few months ago (a WeChat screenshot) and I know the team had no confidence in completing the IT integration by August 18. Have you read it?

The location of the IT aside, Marriott shouldn't be cluelessly adding and subtracting LT nights and years while claiming that all LT status is correct with one exception. You are right - even though the work is outsourced to China, the IT lead (likely based in the U.S.) is still responsible. This kind of execution is a total failure and completely unacceptable.

Last edited by naumank; Sep 6, 2018 at 8:35 pm
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
This is a huge concern for me given the opportunity to book top SPG properties at temporarily reduced point levels. Did you combine into your legacy Marriott or SPG account?
I combined into SPG account. On the website I searched via Marriott (it defaulted there) but when I clicked on a Westin for the point redemption, it took me to the SPG site (not sure if it will still do that maybe they’ve fixed that part?). At the final booking page, I clicked confirm and the next page was error. And points gone. But no rez and no activity on my account page. Very irritating. I checked just now on my phone and it seems to stick with the Marriott app. So if you are going to try it, I’d say use the app. Also may want to do a 1-night trial booking to make sure you don’t lose too many points. I’m reluctant to try again until my other points are back. Can you post if you have success?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
That's odd. My MR status made my LTPP on the MR side, but still my old PLT on the SPG side. I was told this was as expected until I combine the accounts.

It doesn't really matter, and I suppose seeing different results and being told different things isn't all that surprising at this point in the process.
I had the same situation - hence I logged out of the SPG site and logged into the Marriott site to retain the Marriott number and the LTPP. I had logged into the SPG site first to check out the new number I was given. But then when I combined, I logged out of SPG and logged into Marriott and did the combination there. It told you the same - to be in the site of the number you wanted to keep. I wanted to keep my old Marriott number, not a brand new number assigned that replaced my SPG number.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because I read the article someone posted a few months ago (a WeChat screenshot) and I know the team had no confidence in completing the IT integration by August 18. Have you read it?
I haven't read it, won't read and frankly don't give a rat's behind about it.

What iota of difference does offshore or onshore IT have to do with this mess to date? Management thought they were ready and turned the lights on prematurely, that hasn't nothing to do with the location of IT.

/sigh
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:14 pm

I haven't read it, won't read and frankly don't give a rat's behind about it.

What iota of difference does offshore or onshore IT have to do with this mess to date? Management thought they were ready and turned the lights on prematurely, that hasn't nothing to do with the location of IT.

/sigh
Did you read my second paragraph? I bet you didn't and you wouldn't. No point arguing anymore. BTW, you might want to check your grammar.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you read my second paragraph? I bet you didn't and you wouldn't. No point arguing anymore. BTW, you might want to check your grammar.
How could I, you added it later as an afterthought.; perhaps if you had posted your edit prior to my response I would have read that second paragraph in a timely fashion. Don't blame me for not being able to read something that didn't exist until 10 min after my post.

Even if it was an afterthought at least you now concede that IT's location and/or nationality is entirely irrelevant to the situation at hand.

BTW, you might want to check your nationalistic tendencies.

/shrug
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:01 pm

How could I, you added it later as an afterthought.; perhaps if you had posted your edit prior to my response I would have read that second paragraph in a timely fashion. Don't blame me for not being able to read something that didn't exist until 10 min after my post.

Even if it was an afterthought at least you now concede that IT's location and/or nationality is entirely irrelevant to the situation at hand.

BTW, you might want to check your nationalistic tendencies.

/shrug
I guess I was writing the second paragraph when you were writing your response. I didn't see your response hours later. In any case, I think we both agree that the IT integration is a mess. No point arguing the point further.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I was writing the second paragraph when you were writing your response. I didn't see your response hours later. In any case, I think we both agree that the IT integration is a mess. No point arguing the point further.
We surely do agree on that point.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Gahhhhhhh..... After merge I had 698 nights and 10 years platinum. I frankly didn't remember how many nights I had pre-merge (I know it was in the 600 range) but once I saw I had 10 years platinum (which in itself seems like an error, I only had 9 years pre-combination), I thought I could book 50 nights and get to LTPP. So, I am now 20 nights into those 50 nights. And... today my nights went from 718 to 635, but still 10-years platinum.

The whole time I was a bit worried my years total would go from 10 to 9, but had no idea my nights total was so much lower. Does anybody know if any emails from Starwood, in the past, would have lifetime night totals? I am trying to reconstruct my totals to figure out what is correct.

Last edited by whimike; Sep 7, 2018 at 7:34 am
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
No, my LT nights didn't jump (I have the before and after screenshots) on August 18, but now they took away 6 LT nights for no reason. It doesn't affect my LT PL status; It only matters to my decision whether to shoot for 750 nights by the end of the year.

Typically as a matter of customer service, Marriott should think twice about clawing back nights or years due to the company's error. A reference point. About 9-10 years ago, Marriott double-counted some of the rollover nights so some people's status incorrectly jumped at the beginning of the year. Marriott did claw back those nights but they sent an apology email and gave everyone impacted 10 bonus nights. Now, this time, things are screwed by its IT team outsourced to China. I bet they can care less about any IT errors. They run those little scripts to subtract nights one day and add some back on the other. Total screw-up. And we have no recourse because most people don't keep a spreadsheet with 10-15 years of transactions and statuses recorded.
Screenshots on Aug 18 would already be wrong with the double count. It was the move of data from previous SPG site to the current Marriott site that caused the issue, so look at the numbers BEFORE 8/18 on the SPG.com site. Many expected their SPG points to triple when they combined accounts and didn't realise that happened with the move from SPG.com. Lots and lots of numbers flying around, not surprised a lot of confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.