Combine Accounts Update

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 21, 19, 12:00 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RogerD408
Wiki Link
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Nov 14, 18, 3:31 pm
  #916  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 193
Can we keep accounts separate in 2019?

Will we be allowed to keep Marriott and SPG Accounts separate in 2019 or will we be forced to combine?
Ringside is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 18, 4:23 pm
  #917  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,310
Originally Posted by Ringside View Post
Will we be allowed to keep Marriott and SPG Accounts separate in 2019 or will we be forced to combine?
Having multiple accounts is in violation of the T&Cs (unless it benefits MR of course). Given their current state of affairs, I don't see them enforcing that condition. Just curious why you would want to do this? If combining accounts will get you LTPP status, I expect that the accounts will need to be combined before the end of the year to be swept sometime in January. All legacy status rules die the end of the year. It does appear the combination is working, but if your account numbers are way off I can see keeping the separate but too many pitfalls in my view.
RogerD408 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 18, 5:19 pm
  #918  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 50
After I combined accounts I am in account-limbo now as no new points have entered my accounts from stays or CC purchases.. Chatted with both Marriott and Amex, have investigations opened with both, YMMV.
zerosoul is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 18, 3:14 am
  #919  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 99
I am keeping mine separate on purpose for the exact reason above. I am trying to hit Marriott Lifetime Gold under the old rules (500 nights and 1.6 million points) by year end. Should actually have it wrapped up by the end of November or early December. Once old Lifetime Gold is confirmed by Marriott I will combine accounts, but not until then.
Typhoonpilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 18, 6:21 am
  #920  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,310
Originally Posted by Typhoonpilot View Post
I am keeping mine separate on purpose for the exact reason above. I am trying to hit Marriott Lifetime Gold under the old rules (500 nights and 1.6 million points) by year end. Should actually have it wrapped up by the end of November or early December. Once old Lifetime Gold is confirmed by Marriott I will combine accounts, but not until then.
The only problem I see here is that it appears they have dumped all the legacy rules for the new MPG rules with a planned sweep in January to process the legacy rules. Since LTPP is the only status that won't be on the list after December, then keeping them separate sounds wise. But those that are counting on their combined numbers to get them status, then combining before the end of December would be smart.

I suspect there will be another flood of CSR requests after the sweep is run. Just hoping the current merger issues will have been resolved before then.

Last edited by RogerD408; Nov 15, 18 at 6:34 am
RogerD408 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:42 pm
  #921  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Marriott/SPG Premier Platinum Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Posts: 177
I was going to combine accounts today, but ran into a couple of issues?? When I started the process a bit ago and got to the second page where it show current SPG stats on the left and Marriott on the right, SPG shows the correct numbers for 2018 - nights, SNAs, etc. However, the Marriott side shows all zeros even though I did a couple of Marriott stays this year.

Also my points showing on the SPG and Marriott pages are identical at 527,496. Pre-website merger I had something like 175-200K SPG points and over 500K Marriott. With the SPG 1 to 3 conversion, I should have a total of around a million or so points. Did I get somehow hosed when they combined the websites or will my total points be 527,496 times 2?

My lifetime info such as nights, years, etc is correct on both accounts and am on target to be grandfathered into LTPPE during the jan sweeps.

Just worried my combined accounts will get screwed up even more if I go through with the combine accounts....
magendim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:02 pm
  #922  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto vicinity
Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Posts: 11,812
Originally Posted by magendim View Post
Also my points showing on the SPG and Marriott pages are identical at 527,496. Pre-website merger I had something like 175-200K SPG points and over 500K Marriott. With the SPG 1 to 3 conversion, I should have a total of around a million or so points. Did I get somehow hosed when they combined the websites or will my total points be 527,496 times 2?
Please check your screenshots for the exact amount of SPG pts you had pre-merger. 175K X 3 = 525K, so doesnít sound like youíre very far off. Are you sure the 2 numbers are identical, or just very similar? 527,496 X 2 = 1,054,992 so thatís pretty close to 1 million.

(I ask because a friend also claimed her 2 numbers were identical, but in fact 2 digits were swapped. They were pretty darn close though!)
margarita girl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:26 pm
  #923  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Marriott/SPG Premier Platinum Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post


Please check your screenshots for the exact amount of SPG pts you had pre-merger. 175K X 3 = 525K, so doesnít sound like youíre very far off. Are you sure the 2 numbers are identical, or just very similar? 527,496 X 2 = 1,054,992 so thatís pretty close to 1 million.

(I ask because a friend also claimed her 2 numbers were identical, but in fact 2 digits were swapped. They were pretty darn close though!)
Yep, weird, same thing with me two numbers swapped... I must get dyslexic after a long work day... So points appear to be ok...

Still curious about the all zeros on the Marriott side of things tho...
margarita girl likes this.
magendim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 18, 6:59 am
  #924  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,310
Originally Posted by magendim View Post
I was going to combine accounts today, but ran into a couple of issues?? When I started the process a bit ago and got to the second page where it show current SPG stats on the left and Marriott on the right, SPG shows the correct numbers for 2018 - nights, SNAs, etc. However, the Marriott side shows all zeros even though I did a couple of Marriott stays this year.

Also my points showing on the SPG and Marriott pages are identical at 527,496. Pre-website merger I had something like 175-200K SPG points and over 500K Marriott. With the SPG 1 to 3 conversion, I should have a total of around a million or so points. Did I get somehow hosed when they combined the websites or will my total points be 527,496 times 2?

My lifetime info such as nights, years, etc is correct on both accounts and am on target to be grandfathered into LTPPE during the jan sweeps.

Just worried my combined accounts will get screwed up even more if I go through with the combine accounts....
Be sure to take screenshots of your accounts BEFORE combining to show what you have (remember the 1:3 conversion of SPG was done in August). Also, double check the combination screen to make sure they are moving everything to the desired account (their links always tried moving my SPG data to MR account). And, be sure to complete the combination before the end of December to make sure your account is in place for the January sweep. I would bet your point total will show correctly after the combination or could be corrected after that fact.
RogerD408 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 18, 3:28 am
  #925  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SIN
Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Posts: 3,654
I am trying to combine my account. I am login from spg.com using the "new" account. But when I tried to combine it it shows the rewards profile as the "old" MR number.

How can I retain the "new" SPG number and why the system is showing my "old" MR number.

Is this why everytime I asked for missing stays it got posted to "old" MR account even I give them a "new" SPG nunmbers?
lingua101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 18, 4:45 am
  #926  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ATL
Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by Typhoonpilot View Post
I am keeping mine separate on purpose for the exact reason above. I am trying to hit Marriott Lifetime Gold under the old rules (500 nights and 1.6 million points) by year end. Should actually have it wrapped up by the end of November or early December. Once old Lifetime Gold is confirmed by Marriott I will combine accounts, but not until then.
If you are on pace to get there soon, then I agree with just keeping things separate until you pass the finish line because you can never be too sure with these things. However, my personal data point seems to contradict what has long been reported here, so I'll share in case anyone out there is in a slightly different boat. Lifetime night and point stats based on legacy Marriott rules were still visible on the site for a few weeks after the merger, including a week or so after I combined. I checked my balance then, rechecked periodically until it went away, got screenshots of everything along the way, and also called in for an updated balance just last week (the call lasted a total of three minutes, BTW). Based on that, all of my lifetime SPG nights, as well as all of my post-8/18 SPG points, were included in my legacy Marriott stats.
PS. Also contrary to popular belief, after I combined, my lifetime years increased by the 2 SPG years I had from matching with Marriott.

Last edited by Saidoh; Nov 21, 18 at 6:12 am
Saidoh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 18, 7:18 am
  #927  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,310
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
I am trying to combine my account. I am login from spg.com using the "new" account. But when I tried to combine it it shows the rewards profile as the "old" MR number.

How can I retain the "new" SPG number and why the system is showing my "old" MR number.

Is this why everytime I asked for missing stays it got posted to "old" MR account even I give them a "new" SPG nunmbers?
When I tried combining my accounts MR > SPG using the links on the website it kept trying to move everything to MR, not what I asked for or wanted. I finally tried the link in the Wiki after I logged into my SPG account and it went fine. You could be having a problem with the cookies. Log into each account and make sure the Remember Me selection is unchecked. You can prove this took by once again trying to log in and it should request your user name. If neither process works try a different browser.
RogerD408 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 18, 7:53 am
  #928  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,450
What about someone who is not a very frequent hotel guest? I have not had any stays since end of July. The reward totals and nights are correct for each account. However, I made SPG Platinum based on 25 stays in April of this year. The combined number of nights is only 47. I fear that if I combine the accounts now, then I will lose the status next year. I don't have any planned stays until middle of next year. I will be using my Hyatt points until then.
headinclouds is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:22 am
  #929  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,310
Originally Posted by headinclouds View Post
What about someone who is not a very frequent hotel guest? I have not had any stays since end of July. The reward totals and nights are correct for each account. However, I made SPG Platinum based on 25 stays in April of this year. The combined number of nights is only 47. I fear that if I combine the accounts now, then I will lose the status next year. I don't have any planned stays until middle of next year. I will be using my Hyatt points until then.
You should be good to go for combining your accounts. The Platinum status for 25 stays will not kick in until after January regardless. I say get your screenshots in that proves you have 25 SPG stays and combine your accounts. This way you have plenty of time to correct any errors that might crop up from the combination and still have time for the sweep.

Where do you stand on LT status? Any chance the combination will bump you that way?
RogerD408 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:31 pm
  #930  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,450
Not even close to LT status. Was with Hilton, then Hyatt, and now SPG/MR. I have always gotten status on stays rather than nights. I already have screen shots of the SPG activity. Just need to make the Marriott screen shots.
headinclouds is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread