Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Combine Accounts Update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by catbox9
Okay, cool.
That's what I was assuming.

I had them combined prior to the merger. Do I need to re-combine them somewhere? My marriott and starwood apps are showing very different numbers in terms of lifetime nights/elite years.
Do you mean linked? That does not do it. AFTER the merger of the programs (8/18) there is a combination process where you log into the account you want to keep, select the link to combine, and then enter you SPG account info. After you do that, and maybe a few days, all your numbers will be in one account.

For some reason, I am not given the option to combine from my SPG account but it is showing as an option from my MR account. So there is still more work to be done.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Do you mean linked? That does not do it. AFTER the merger of the programs (8/18) there is a combination process where you log into the account you want to keep, select the link to combine, and then enter you SPG account info. After you do that, and maybe a few days, all your numbers will be in one account.
Found it, thanks! It now shows I'm lifetime silver, too.

Does Marriott count all the annual elite credit nights as nights? My lifetime nights seems way higher than I would've expected. I've had the Marriott card for a while but I rarely stay with Marriott.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:29 pm

Simple math...

This seems to be simple math...
1. SPG account has incorrect total number of nights. Adding each 2018 stay results in a different, and higher, number of nights for this year. And according to SPG Corp CS one stay of three nights shows as only two nights on internal screen, although he can see the check in/check out dates show 3 nights. Missing from account: 4 nights.
2. Missing are AmEx SPG business and personal cards credits of 5 nights and 2 stays for each card which count toward SPG Elite status. Missing from account: 10 nights and 4 stays.
3. Total missing credits: 14 nights and 4 stays.
4. Lifetime Nights: 784; Years As Platinum: 16. Missing: Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status.
5. Time spent on the phone today w/ SPG to sort through these issues: 2 hours 14 minutes.
6. SPG response: check back with us next week.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Tedyuscung
This seems to be simple math...
1. SPG account has incorrect total number of nights. Adding each 2018 stay results in a different, and higher, number of nights for this year. And according to SPG Corp CS one stay of three nights shows as only two nights on internal screen, although he can see the check in/check out dates show 3 nights. Missing from account: 4 nights.
2. Missing are AmEx SPG business and personal cards credits of 5 nights and 2 stays for each card which count toward SPG Elite status. Missing from account: 10 nights and 4 stays.
3. Total missing credits: 14 nights and 4 stays.
4. Lifetime Nights: 784; Years As Platinum: 16. Missing: Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status.
5. Time spent on the phone today w/ SPG to sort through these issues: 2 hours 14 minutes.
6. SPG response: check back with us next week.
Only MR LTPs are making MPG LTPP right now. The rest of us need to wait for the sweep after the end of the year. We are an afterthought that did not get folded into the day-one scheme. With the numbers you quote you should be fine. The only reason to chase the missing nights is to hit the 50/75 nights for those benefits, or the 100 nights/$20K for ambassador status, but those are annual requirements.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I was informed by an agent while checking out at a Sheraton that Starwood hotels are currently using their existing reservation systems and come October they will switch over to the Marriott system and that this is when some of the history on stays, preferences etc may be lost.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
How did they handle breakfast?
must make selection on check in .... either 1000 points OR breakfast
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:02 pm
BCH

Truly, I am losing my patience with this. I would be Platinum Premier right now, except that I am missing YTD nights in my legacy SPG account. Also, because of the missing nights, I cannot claim my perks for reaching thresholds. What a mess.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Combine SPG and Marriott -- WHICH TO KEEP?!

I am super confused. I clicked on the SPG link and combined with my Marriott. Being GOLD Marriott, and Marriott being my PRIMARY program for a decade... NOW they made me SPG member, and NULLIFIED my old Marriott number, and gave me a new combined number.

I wanna GO BACK to be Marriott primary, is there a benefit to do that? Is there any difference? What's going on?! Which has better customer service?!

PLEASE HELP!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:19 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I hope the people who just have meaningless discrepancies (e.g. you're just missing a few nights but it's not causing the wrong status to be displayed) that will obviously be corrected aren't flooding marriott with calls so that the people who are actually being impacted by this can get through (but we all know of course they are).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Only MR LTPs are making MPG LTPP right now. The rest of us need to wait for the sweep after the end of the year. We are an afterthought that did not get folded into the day-one scheme. With the numbers you quote you should be fine. The only reason to chase the missing nights is to hit the 50/75 nights for those benefits, or the 100 nights/$20K for ambassador status, but those are annual requirements.
To think that after 34 years of brand loyalty I, and many others, are thought of as an ‘afterthought’ is a bit disquieting.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by alexbc
I am super confused. I clicked on the SPG link and combined with my Marriott. Being GOLD Marriott, and Marriott being my PRIMARY program for a decade... NOW they made me SPG member, and NULLIFIED my old Marriott number, and gave me a new combined number.

I wanna GO BACK to be Marriott primary, is there a benefit to do that? Is there any difference? What's going on?! Which has better customer service?!

PLEASE HELP!
It seems you have already combined your Rewards and SPG accounts since August 18, so the question "which to keep?" has already been answered by your selection during the process that you completed. (You're not just referring to linking your accounts before August 18, right?)

Don't worry which account number has survived and which has been eliminated. There's only one loyalty program now. In either case, you would have the same elite level, points and nights this year, and points and elite years toward lifetime status. Supposedly, it can take 72 hours hours for everything to show up, but, for me at least, everything combined right away.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tedyuscung

To think that after 34 years of brand loyalty I, and many others, are thought of as an ‘afterthought’ is a bit disquieting.
I agree, but the facts stand. We were not intended to EVER get LTPP status and only after the outcry of FOUL did they change their minds. I felt SPG was always playing fair with its members, can't say the same for MR.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
It seems you have already combined your Rewards and SPG accounts since August 18, so the question "which to keep?" has already been answered by your selection during the process that you completed. (You're not just referring to linking your accounts before August 18, right?)

Don't worry which account number has survived and which has been eliminated. There's only one loyalty program now. In either case, you would have the same elite level, points and nights this year, and points and elite years toward lifetime status. Supposedly, it can take 72 hours hours for everything to show up, but, for me at least, everything combined right away.
I think I lost my linked Credit Card, my preference for hotels, rooms, etc... Also, I have many programs linked to my OLD Marriott number, what happens if they try to credit me points?

I didn't pay attention, I thought it's like Marriott taking over and it doesn't matter where you start from. So, apart from those preference loss, NOTHING else is lost? I don't lose anything? Which customer service do I deal with when having issues?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by alexbc
I think I lost my linked Credit Card, my preference for hotels, rooms, etc... Also, I have many programs linked to my OLD Marriott number, what happens if they try to credit me points?

I didn't pay attention, I thought it's like Marriott taking over and it doesn't matter where you start from. So, apart from those preference loss, NOTHING else is lost? I don't lose anything? Which customer service do I deal with when having issues?
You kept the profile (stored credit cards, stored room preferences) of the surviving account, but that's easy to update.

Any points going to the your old Rewards account, your old SPG account, or your new SPG account will be go to your surviving account. That's an easy "behind the scenes" IT function, and if Marriott had not implemented it, they would have a catastrophe on their hands.

It's all one program. You can sign in with with your current credentials to http://www.marriott.com or http://www.spg.com — you'll see different logos and different credit card advertisements, but that's about the only difference. It's the same web server accessing the same backend systems.

For customer service, just call the phone number on you Marriott Rewards card — although I suppose the phone number on your SPG car would work just as well.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:17 pm

Ok... thanks.

One note, I just found out that e-certificates have now been DE-VALUED! While it was supposed to be good for Cat-5 hotels, now it's only good for 25K points hotels which are Cat-4... I had two that are now pretty much useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.