FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott changing point sharing option (now 100k) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1926143-marriott-changing-point-sharing-option-now-100k.html)

shaw1974 Aug 19, 2018 11:34 pm

Marriott changing point sharing option (now 100k)

Saw this when looking around tonight:
  • "Share your points......Now you can share your points with any other member. Transfer 1,000 points or more--up to a maximum of 100,000 points per year--for a transaction fee of US$10. Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Platinum Premier Elite members transfer for free."
This is what it used to say:
  • "A limit of 50,000 points per year may be transferred into or out of a member’s account. Members who are transferring points in order to satisfy a specific award may exceed the 50,000 limit up to the amount needed to satisfy the reservation."

Wonder is Marriott is killing off the being able to transfer excess points to satisfy an award??? Would definitely kill the work around for pooling points from other family members, especially now that the SPG family transfers are gone.

margarita girl Aug 20, 2018 3:30 am

Thanks for sharing this. You might be right about not allowing to go over 100K miles now.

I thought the family point transfers were still allowed.

cfischer Aug 20, 2018 4:50 am

Originally Posted by shaw1974 (Post 30103751)

Wonder is Marriott is killing off the being able to transfer excess points to satisfy an award??? Would definitely kill the work around for pooling points from other family members, especially now that the SPG family transfers are gone.

That option has always been hidden way deep on some page and you needed an agent who a) knew about it and b) was able to get it done.

0limits Aug 20, 2018 9:32 am

On the FAQs, I only find the same 50K limit as before:

"How do I share points with another Member?

​​​​​​You can share your Points with any Marriott Loyalty Program Member as long as both accounts are in good standing and have been open for at least 60 days. The Member transferring his/her Points initiates the transfer by contacting Member Support and providing the Membership Number of the recipient. You can transfer or receive 1,000 Points or more at a time - up to a maximum of 50,000 Points per year."

Where did you find the 100K limit?

RobUAIntl Aug 20, 2018 10:03 pm

SPG had no limit, but the two accounts had to share same address. And you could do it online without calling. And there was no fee for non-elites. I wish Marriott would follow SPG on this.

shaw1974 Aug 20, 2018 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by 0limits (Post 30105331)
On the FAQs, I only find the same 50K limit as before:

"How do I share points with another Member?

​​​​​​You can share your Points with any Marriott Loyalty Program Member as long as both accounts are in good standing and have been open for at least 60 days. The Member transferring his/her Points initiates the transfer by contacting Member Support and providing the Membership Number of the recipient. You can transfer or receive 1,000 Points or more at a time - up to a maximum of 50,000 Points per year."

Where did you find the 100K limit?

Here is the link to the page:

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/redeem.mi

0limits Aug 21, 2018 8:36 am

Originally Posted by shaw1974 (Post 30108483)

Here is the link to the page:

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/redeem.mi

Thanks!

dsquared37 Aug 21, 2018 10:28 am

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

2.8.c. Once per calendar year and only at the time of an Award Redemption, a Member may exceed the 50,000 Point maximum into the Loyalty Program account of a friend or family member in order to qualify for a specific Award in accordance with this section. In the instance of transfer exceeding the 50,000 Point maximum only the necessary number of Points needed to redeem the specified Award, rounded to the nearest 1,000 Points, may be transferred - no more, no less.
Nothing has changed.

pitflyer Aug 21, 2018 11:46 am

I feel like the T&C hasn't been updated yet but definitely the Redeem page now points to a 100k limit, where before it did say 50k.
However, I also feel that the Redeem page before didn't mention the 'award' workaround before -- so its potentially a 100k straight limit but still unlimited if you redeem towards an award per the detailed T&C. Hopefully that's the case still. We'll see when the dust settles.

shaw1974 Sep 5, 2018 6:34 pm

Looks like they finally updated the T&C according to this TPG article. No more transfers to satisfy an award redemption, limited to 100k per year.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...ms-conditions/

flo_147 Sep 6, 2018 2:04 am

Transfer option(s) of >100k points gone?

Shortly after the merger happened in August, I was still able to transfer >100k Marriott points to a friends account in order to book a reservation. This transfer - until yesterday - was mentioned in the old T&Cs as a once per calendar year exception (50+ k). This whole paragraph is gone now. I also cannot find anything in the current T&Cs about transfering points within the same household (similar to what was possible with SPG in the past).

Does that mean now, we cannot transfer points within the family or among friends anymore? Will Marriott introduce points pooling like Hilton did?

philemer Sep 6, 2018 7:42 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30104209)

I thought the family point transfers were still allowed.

I think it is still allowed but still broken. I made a rez. wth my wife's acct. on 8/22 and asked that the 140K pts be transferred from my acct. He said "done". Well, it's not done yet. :(

philemer Sep 6, 2018 9:45 am

not working

Called in an hour ago and a friendly CSR transferred 100K pts to my wife's acct. I asked her to wait so I could log in and verify it. Well, surprise, surprise--no record of xfer. CSR said wait a bit and check again. I said like "maybe a month?" She laughed and said it won't take that long. Ha. Bottom line, sys. still broken.

philemer Sep 6, 2018 3:20 pm

100K pt xfer complete

Good news. Transfer of points from my acct. to my wife's finally came through. :D

ahbitheman Sep 11, 2018 8:32 am

To confirm, you attempted to transfer 140K previously which didn't work. But you just transferred 100K a few days ago and that worked? I think the whole point of this thread is to understand whether 100K+ transfers still exist. Any one have a data point on this?? I see a comment above that says they transfered +100K just after integration. I attempted the same but was told it was down. This was a huge impact to me as the points were stuck in my wife's account with no status. Because of award availability, we had to book under her account. Ideally, I'd like to transfer to my platinum premier account and re-book to get the elite night credits plus the platinum perks.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 30175687)
Good news. Transfer of points from my acct. to my wife's finally came through. :D