Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Login Issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Login Issues

There have been a number of login issues reported, primarily where people cannot login to their SPG accounts but can with their Marriott accounts. The root cause looks to be a number of us (including myself) used the same email address & password for both accounts and when they pulled the SPG data into the Marriott database we got a new number but the login information didn't come over in the import. Unfortunately those of us that this is impacting are going to be stuck with some orphan records for a little while until they can manually update the records.

For anyone checking in to a property tonight, or in the next few days, and can't login to your accounts to verify your reservation information, bring a paper copy of your email confirmation with (or something else official with it on it from your travel agency)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Should be able to logon with your old SPG account # and password, even if email addresses are the same. After logon you will receive your new replacement account number.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I can log in on the SPG App but the App cannot process reservations right now

The computer seems able to process reservations but I cannot log in

In short, I am unable to make reservations which is really frustrating - had two reservations I wanted to make for this week. Maybe I'll try Hilton
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
I had the same problem. I've found that you can continue to log in to both but it's a little tricky. You can only login to one at a time (regardless of the starting point). So if you login to your Marriott account and then go to the SPG site it will show you only your Marriott account. Same the other way, if you start on the SPG site and log in it will log you into your SPG account.

If you choose "Remember me" when you login (the default) it will stick with that account, regardless of sign out. To switch you need to sign out, and then at the login page click "Clear Remembered User" and then login from the appropriate side for the account you want.

I've been using an incognito tab in chrome so I can login to both (you should be able to use private browsing in Firefox or IE for the same affect).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I've tried all of them. When I called into the customer support they provided me with my number SPG number but mentioned the profile was essentially blank at the time. Should be an interesting experience checking in tonight
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by ajwright
I had the same problem. I've found that you can continue to log in to both but it's a little tricky. You can only login to one at a time (regardless of the starting point). So if you login to your Marriott account and then go to the SPG site it will show you only your Marriott account. Same the other way, if you start on the SPG site and log in it will log you into your SPG account.

If you choose "Remember me" when you login (the default) it will stick with that account, regardless of sign out. To switch you need to sign out, and then at the login page click "Clear Remembered User" and then login from the appropriate side for the account you want.

I've been using an incognito tab in chrome so I can login to both (you should be able to use private browsing in Firefox or IE for the same affect).
Thank you for this - incognito in chrome worked for me on SPG site and I was able to both log into my SPG account and book a reservation for tomorrow.

Emailed myself confirmation number, rate and other details

It also shows in my SPG App as an upcoming stay - so hopefully no issues when I check in tomorrow
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by cjw2001
Should be able to logon with your old SPG account # and password, even if email addresses are the same. After logon you will receive your new replacement account number.
Your old SPG username also works (exactly once).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Everything seems to have worked itself out now. My profile must have just been in one of the later batches to come over.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:30 pm

could not book online, after selecting room it kept going back to sign in page. Tried the SPG app and was able to book
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA GS/1Mil Flyer, Pond scum on everything else.
So what Number do you use for SPG stays now?

Since the Marriott Rewards numbers for sure live for H-Marriotts and H-Ritz it would be use your Marriott Reward Numbers. But for SPG do you use the legacy SPG number or your Marriott Rewards number? Assume you haven't combined.... my thought is Marriott (aka your Loyalty) number.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Personally, I am not making ANY changes to my booking/redemption/earning workflow until this whole mess is sorted out. I assume legacy SPG numbers will continue to be valid for some period of time.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by toddt
Since the Marriott Rewards numbers for sure live for H-Marriotts and H-Ritz it would be use your Marriott Reward Numbers. But for SPG do you use the legacy SPG number or your Marriott Rewards number? Assume you haven't combined.... my thought is Marriott (aka your Loyalty) number.
Originally Posted by mtftw
Personally, I am not making ANY changes to my booking/redemption/earning workflow until this whole mess is sorted out. I assume legacy SPG numbers will continue to be valid for some period of time.
MR bookings should show up under your MR account and SPG bookings should be there (with a new MR number attached). Since the programs have been merged you should be able to book any of the 29 brands on either account. Once YOU combine your accounts, then there will only be one place for all activity. IF you are going for legacy status qualification, you might want to keep separate accounts so it will be easy to track your progress.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by toddt
Until you combine your accounts, you have two entirely separate accounts. One might have a higher elite status than the other. That's the one I would use.

After you combine your accounts, you'll see all your upcoming reservations in that account. Until then, you'll only see the reservations associated with each separate account in that account.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM
My SPG account balances (over 1m points) is not visible from Marriott's side. All I see are my Marriott points and historical activity on Marriott hotels.

I guess, they only had a little under 3 years since the transaction was approved back in 2015 by both board of directors... I work in M&A and our first and foremost goals as we execute transactions is "seamless integration from the client's perspective"

It appears that Marriott's approach is slightly different :-(
bgriff likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cre95
My SPG account balances (over 1m points) is not visible from Marriott's side. All I see are my Marriott points and historical activity on Marriott hotels.

I guess, they only had a little under 3 years since the transaction was approved back in 2015 by both board of directors... I work in M&A and our first and foremost goals as we execute transactions is "seamless integration from the client's perspective"

It appears that Marriott's approach is slightly different :-(
Until you have the option to combine your accounts and you exercise that option, you still have two separate accounts.

Sign in with your Rewards account number and password to see your Rewards account.

Sign in with your SPG account number and password to see your SPG account.

Both accounts are now one the Marriott domain. In fact, it's the same website, just with two different cosmetic branding layers. If you want SPG branding when you view your SPG account, use http://spg.com

You may run into issues with browser cookies, stored IDs, and stored passwords. If so, you'll want to log out completely, uncheck the "Remember me" box, and possibly sign in and out again to make sure there is a field to enter your account number. People have also reported success using private browser mode or a different browser.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.