Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Well, nice to see that some of those who completed the Marriott Platinum Challenge pre-merger are seeing PP showing up now somewhere in their profile. I have not seen that on mine (either in app or online), but for now I'm fine with waiting given that there are lot of funky things still going on their integration efforts that are more important for Marriott to fix - like reservations missing and points missing, etc.

I think we won't really have confidence that everything with the 2018 Platinum Challenges will be done right until we se'e Plat Premier still active next February when the downgrades process.

I was a 'natural' 50 night MR gold when I requested the MR status challenge, and am now Lifetime Platinum (combined 600 nights) after the merger... so the additional extra effort to get the 'old Platinum' through the challenge - which was said to run through January 2020 - will be a big waste if Marriott doesn't grant PP through the end of 2019. I will also not be particularly pleased if Marriott somehow figures out a way to exclude certain PP's from their RewardsPlus Silver status agreement with United as getting UA Silver in 2019 was a major goal of my doing the challenge.
eracerblue likes this.

Last edited by goldenbear; Aug 27, 2018 at 7:19 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by goldenbear
with Nice to see that some of those who completed the Platinum Challenge pre-merger are seeing PP showing up now somewhere in their profile. I have not seen that on mine (either in app or online), but for now I'm fine with waiting given that there are lot of funky things still going on their integration efforts that are more important for Marriott to fix - like reservations missing and points missing, etc.

I think we won't really have confidence that everything with the 2018 Platinum Challenges will be done right until we se'e Plat Premier still active next February when the downgrades process.

I was a natural 50 night gold when I requested the status challenge, and am now Lifetime Platinum after the merger... so the additional extra effort to get the 'old Platinum' through the challenge - which was said to run through January 2020 - will be a big waste if Marriott doesn't grant PP through the end of 2019. I will also not be particularly pleased if Marriott somehow figures out a way to exclude certain PP's from their RewardsPlus Silver status agreement with United as getting UA Silver in 2019 was a major goal of my doing the challenge.

folks, wanted to get some clarification:
1. I completed the SPG challenge to stay 18 nights in 3 months before the merger. Is this the same platinum challenge that people are talking about?
2. The Marriott and SPG apps both show me as platinum elite but Im assuming this has to fixed to PP due to the challenge. Is there a way to find out how long the Platinum status will last till? Like goldenbear said - would hate to have come all this way only to have my status downgraded in Feb 2019.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by injian

1. I completed the SPG challenge to stay 18 nights in 3 months before the merger. Is this the same platinum challenge that people are talking about?
2. The Marriott and SPG apps both show me as platinum elite but I’m assuming this has to fixed to PP due to the challenge. Is there a way to find out how long the Platinum status will last till? Like goldenbear said - would hate to have come all this way only to have my status downgraded in Feb 2019.

I was referring to the Marriott Platinum challenge (9 stays in 90 days, offered to those with MR Gold upon request).

According to posts in this thread, SPG Platinums will likely just be Marriott Platinums when it's all sorted out. T

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

The confusion is that Marriott matched SPG platinums to MR platinums (and SPG Gold to MR Gold) despite the required night mismatch between the two.

A silver lining in your case is that even if you end up at just MR Platinum, you have actually gained quite a lot in 2019 by doing that challenge - as you would have been a MR Gold without the challenge, and MR Gold is not all that valuable going forward (no 4pm checkout, no lounges, no arrival gift, etc).

Now if there were a way you could have made 9 stays at Marriott properties for the MR challenge instead of 18 nights at SPG, you would have (likely) come out ahead vs your current situation, and that's where some people are seeing the process being somewhat unfair. But there's not much one can do now.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I still have issues with this. A few days ago I finally showed up as Plat Premier in the Marriott app and website. However, that status has not transferred back to SPG. I had three reservations at the time of the 'upgrade' to Plat Premier with SPG and I've just used two of them this weekend. Both of them showed me as Platinum only.

I'm sure Marriott isn't really interested in doing another data sweep "backwards" from Marriott to SPG but I think they need to. Otherwise, I have no way of having any SPG property see me as Platinum Premier right now.

-RM
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I still have issues with this. A few days ago I finally showed up as Plat Premier in the Marriott app and website. However, that status has not transferred back to SPG. I had three reservations at the time of the 'upgrade' to Plat Premier with SPG and I've just used two of them this weekend. Both of them showed me as Platinum only.
Do you still have separate SPG and MR profiles? I haven't merged my account yet, and my status shows Ambassador on my SPG profile but PPE on my MR profile.

I'm not combining just yet to get over the worst of the IT debacle, but I assume it is something that will be sorted once I combine.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:02 am

Ugh, I completed a Taste of Platinum challenge several months before the merger. I combined both Marriott/SPG accounts. Status still showing as P instead of PP. Guess I'll just wait...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My status finally updated to PP late last night. I was really starting to think it wasn't going to happen.

Now if they would just give me back my last four SPG nights . . . .
eracerblue likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
My status still shows Platinum rather than PP. I was Platinum this year before Aug 18, so understand I should be PP though the end of this year. Also, I am showing 9 years of Platinum status and wonder whether that counts 2018. If not, I wonder whether that gives me 10 years of Platinum status and lifetime PP. I find this transition to be very confusing in part because of the use of both "Platinum" and "Platinum Premier."
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
My status still shows Platinum rather than PP. I was Platinum this year before Aug 18, so understand I should be PP though the end of this year.
Correct, assuming you're talking about the 75 night level (old MR Plat/new MR Plat Premier), you should be at Plat Premier currently.

Also, I am showing 9 years of Platinum status and wonder whether that counts 2018. If not, I wonder whether that gives me 10 years of Platinum status and lifetime PP. I find this transition to be very confusing in part because of the use of both "Platinum" and "Platinum Premier."
As far as I can tell it does. Right now I have LTPP via the old 750 nights + 2M points criteria. Over the past few years I had:

2012: Joined MR, did not hit 50 nights in 2012 (not a year at plat for LT calculation)
2013: Organic Plat (50+ butt in bed nights)
2014: Organic Plat (50+ butt in bed nights)
2015: Organic Plat (50+ butt in bed nights)
2016: Semi-organic plat (50+ nights with rollover) in MR. Another year @ plat given by status matched SPG account
2017: Semi-organic plat (50+ nights with rollover) in MR. Another year @ plat given by status matched SPG account
2018: Non-organic plat (LTPP criteria makes me PP, but sitting at 48 nights). SPG status matched to plat did not count.

Before merging I had 6 years at plat (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 in MR) and once merged with SPG, I had 8 years at plat (MR 6 years + 2016 & 2017 status matched years in SPG).

Now they said that organic years in both programs counted. As in, if I legitimately hit 50 nights in SPG and 50 nights in MR within the same calendar year, that would count as two separate years of plat for LT calculation purposes. Linked status years (like 2016 & 2017 in SPG for me) were not supposed to count, but at this point are. The question is if Marriott will go back and correct this, and if so, does it affect you.

A lot of us have had elite statuses reflecting lower (e.g. LTPPs reflecting as current plats) fixed, and some showing higher statuses being corrected via downgrade (e.g. people without ambassadors showing PPE w/ Ambasssador after the merger, and then now showing just Platinum Premier Elite). It's very possible that if some of your years at plat came from status linking to (to/from SPG), then your actual elite year count may be lowered in the weeks to come.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Now showing PPE on my Marriott App (haven't checked the web version yet).

The SPG app still shows me as Platinum though.

Looks like the theory that Marriott would deny PPE status to people who had LTPP or had done the challenge has well and truly bitten the dust.
Not quite true. 2017 Marriott Challenge platinum still showing platinum with 46 nights this year.

Called MR and rep told me that because of the challenge I technically only earned gold status and they bumped me up to platinum. I said that I was platinum last year and all of this year and that that all the materials stated that platinums would be mapped up to PPE. She said they only way to map to PPE is to stay 75 nights. I protested and said that wasn't what the materials said before the merger but she said she asked a supervisor and they told her the same thing. I'm waiting for a supervisor to call me back.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dsnow0819
Not quite true. 2017 Marriott Challenge platinum still showing platinum with 46 nights this year.

Called MR and rep told me that because of the challenge I technically only earned gold status and they bumped me up to platinum. I said that I was platinum last year and all of this year and that that all the materials stated that platinums would be mapped up to PPE. She said they only way to map to PPE is to stay 75 nights. I protested and said that wasn't what the materials said before the merger but she said she asked a supervisor and they told her the same thing. I'm waiting for a supervisor to call me back.
Well the theory was that PPE status would only be granted to those with 75+ actual nights, and NOT to those with LTPP or who had completed the Platinum challenge from the MR side. Following Popperian reasoning, a single counterexample is enough to disprove it. I am one such counterexample (granted PPE after initially showing just Plat) and in the last few days there have been many more (both from LTPP and the Platinum challenge).

Also, I wouldn't set too much store by what an individual CS rep says. They frequently contradict one another. That is why HUACA is still a useful tactic when it comes to CS in most companies.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
My status still shows Platinum rather than PP. I was Platinum this year before Aug 18, so understand I should be PP though the end of this year. Also, I am showing 9 years of Platinum status and wonder whether that counts 2018. If not, I wonder whether that gives me 10 years of Platinum status and lifetime PP. I find this transition to be very confusing in part because of the use of both "Platinum" and "Platinum Premier."
I am in the same situation. I was Platinum before the merge and still showing Platinum not Platinum Preferred.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
After finally showing PP last night, I dropped back to Plat this morning.

Really not much else to say about this disaster that hasn't already been said.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Just to add another data point, I was MR Platinum via challenge before the merger. I have checked the app and website daily and have never seen PP status, only Plat since the 18th.

Frustrating given that I already had one post-merger stay last week and have another check-in tomorrow and presumably will need to fight for those extra points at some point.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:12 pm

2. The Marriott and SPG apps both show me as platinum elite but I’m assuming this has to fixed to PP due to the challenge. Is there a way to find out how long the Platinum status will last till? Like goldenbear said - would hate to have come all this way only to have my status downgraded in Feb 2019.

Confirmed by Starwood Lurker to last until Feb 2020.

For the most part no, but there is confusion, and a gap of equity at present. For the most part people are talking about the potentially easier and cheaper Marriot Plat challenge which is now bumping to PPE.

Starwood Lurker confirmed in the SPG thread wiki:
A10. Will those who got Marriott Platinum via a status challenge this year (supposedly valid till Feb 2020) be switched to Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite on August 1?
Platinum Premier Elite, if the member met the Platinum Elite challenge. <added by Starwood Lurker30Apr18>
(bold emphasis mine)

This says "a status challenge", not Marriott Status challenge. As this was on the SPG thread, with people generally doing SPG challenges and whatnot, it is reasonable that this is generally referring to SPG challenges, or both.

The SPG challenge was also potentially twice as hard and expensive as the Marriott one, which was no doubt intentional presuming an average 2 day length stay... and same ultimate owner (Marriott).

Originally Posted by goldenbear
I was referring to the Marriott Platinum challenge (9 stays in 90 days, offered to those with MR Gold upon request).

According to posts in this thread, SPG Platinums will likely just be Marriott Platinums when it's all sorted out.

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread
Except none of this info came from, or was vetted by an official source. In a forum where SPG was very active, that is significant.

Now if there were a way you could have made 9 stays at Marriott properties for the MR challenge instead of 18 nights at SPG, you would have (likely) come out ahead vs your current situation, and that's where some people are seeing the process being somewhat unfair. But there's not much one can do now.
Except that doesn't work for all cities. If this particular thread doesn't open discussion along these lines (rather than quashing it), I'm sure I or someone else will open a separate thread on this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.