FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   FAQ : Selecting Annual Choice Benefit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1925977-faq-selecting-annual-choice-benefit.html)

ussie44 Jun 9, 2020 2:56 pm

Why Can't I Switch My Annual Gift Choice?

I chose 5 Suite Nights as my Annual Gift Choice this year. Several months ago I applied them to a reservation for July. Then COVID 19 came along, the hotels are closed and the awards were put back into my account with the deadline extended to December 2021. I don't know what the future holds and I wanted to switch my choice from Suite nights to a mattress. Marriott will not permit changes. I don't understand the logic given the present circumstances. And it doesn't seem fair or reasonable to me. What am I missing?

calculus1918 Jun 9, 2020 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by ussie44 (Post 32443150)
I chose 5 Suite Nights as my Annual Gift Choice this year. Several months ago I applied them to a reservation for July. Then COVID 19 came along, the hotels are closed and the awards were put back into my account with the deadline extended to December 2021. I don't know what the future holds and I wanted to switch my choice from Suite nights to a mattress. Marriott will not permit changes. I don't understand the logic given the present circumstances. And it doesn't seem fair or reasonable to me. What am I missing?

You can't switch your choice. Once YOU make your decision, that's the selection as far as I know.

Newman Jun 9, 2020 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by calculus1918 (Post 32443192)
You can't switch your choice. Once YOU make your decision, that's the selection as far as I know.

When you select
You select all the way
From your first cigarette
Till your last dyin' day

Newman

DELee Jun 9, 2020 4:44 pm

Why Can't I Switch My Annual Gift Choice?

Uh, the words when you selected your Annual Gift Choice: You get what you picked for the year (and because of COVID-19 this year) and next.

David

theOtherHolmes Jun 9, 2020 4:45 pm

You cannot always get what you want. The key is to read the fine print when you make a choice. If you read the fine print, you’d know the selection is final.

SPN Lifer Jun 9, 2020 5:07 pm

In addition to the excellent replies upthread, for the same reason one cannot change an annual UA MM shared-status selection.

As a related aphorism advises, "Marry in haste, repent at leisure."

ftrichard Jun 9, 2020 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes (Post 32443426)
You cannot always get what you want. The key is to read the fine print when you make a choice. If you read the fine print, you’d know the selection is final.

It's a lot more than fine print. On this occasion, Marriott and its T&Cs are very much in the clear.

The online process to select your Annual Choice gift at 50 and 75 nights warns you repeatedly that the choice is final and you have to click to acknowledge this. Now whether the SNAs can be usefully redeemed in good times or bad is another issue that has been discussed endlessly already on this forum but the irrevocable choice of SNAs as your annual gift is not in question.

skywalkerLAX Jun 10, 2020 6:26 am

It's clearly spelled out in the instructions that all choices are FINAL.

ussie44 Jun 10, 2020 7:56 am

Thank you all for your comments. I had posted in the belief that most rules have the occasional justifiable exception and that present circumstances are exceptional. I still can't see that, other than minor paperwork, it really makes any tangible difference to Marriott if I switch. That's really what I'm missing. However, given that your opinions are unanimous, I humbly accept. Merci beaucoup!

Jon Maiman Jun 11, 2020 7:20 am

ussie44 Glad to see you now understand the situation. You can humbly ask Marriott for a one time exception noting that you understand by policy you are not entitled to change the choice. Sometimes asking nicely will work. The worst that will happen is they will say no and your original choice will stand. Just a thought...

--Jon

LDNConsultant Jun 11, 2020 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by ussie44 (Post 32444835)
Thank you all for your comments. I had posted in the belief that most rules have the occasional justifiable exception and that present circumstances are exceptional. I still can't see that, other than minor paperwork, it really makes any tangible difference to Marriott if I switch. That's really what I'm missing. However, given that your opinions are unanimous, I humbly accept. Merci beaucoup!

It might be a system limitation not just a simple paperwork... FYI

bgasser Jul 11, 2020 9:38 pm

Annual Choice Benefit

Qualified for Platinum from my stay on 7/8. Does anyone know how long it takes Marriott to ask and post the 5 Suite Night Awards I would like to request? Should the choice be made via an email or on the Bonvoy portion of my account? Haven't seen where it is possible to make a selection on the website and haven't gotten any email.

myperks Jul 11, 2020 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by bgasser (Post 32525138)
Qualified for Platinum from my stay on 7/8. Does anyone know how long it takes Marriott to ask and post the 5 Suite Night Awards I would like to request? Should the choice be made via an email or on the Bonvoy portion of my account? Haven't seen where it is possible to make a selection on the website and haven't gotten any email.

https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/...arriott-bonvoy

DELee Jul 11, 2020 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by bgasser (Post 32525138)

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 32525159)

Let us know when your click into Platinum appears (or if it already has) in your account. And then when the choice-benefit shows that you're eligible.

FWIW, even though I went from 34 to 72 nights today, the choice-benefit page still says I'm ineligible. Will probably "eligible" in the next day or so...

David

bgasser Jul 11, 2020 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 32525169)
Let us know when your click into Platinum appears (or if it already has) in your account. And then when the choice-benefit shows that you're eligible.

FWIW, even though I went from 34 to 72 nights today, the choice-benefit page still says I'm ineligible. Will probably "eligible" in the next day or so...

David

Thanks. It is a mess because I made platinum on 7/8 and Titanium on 7/11 (with the Marriott bump from the 25 extra nights for being platinum last year). Bonvoy computer system seems to be having issues with my selection suite night selection now. I got an email confirmation, but no nights in my account yet. It seems to think my platinum selection is also my titanium selection.