Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Who else is booking the St. Regis discounted award nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

Was worried that all the former SPG Cat 7 hotel award nights would get snapped up at the new 20k-SPG/60k-MR rates (formerly 30k/90k). But I had no trouble booking my 5 night ski season award and now working on a couple of others. The space seems to be there if you can work through the glitchy IT. Anybody else?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:25 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I got mine Cat 7 St Regis over X'mas. Do note that it is like 00:25 here in PST. And those on East coast likely way asleep. So we might have just lucked out...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
i was under the impression that with this merging that it would again be possible to book hotels without having all the points (like how its been at Marriott). Seems that is not possible for the SPG Hotels?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:33 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
i was under the impression that with this merging that it would again be possible to book hotels without having all the points (like how its been at Marriott). Seems that is not possible for the SPG Hotels?
I have never been able to book hotels without having all the points as a SPG regular Plat member. I couldn't imagine if I only got 2000 SPG points and want to redeem 240,000 points worth of hotels and SPG will allow that

I heard SPG members with 100+ nights who get Ambassadors (good ones) will hold the redemption for you for a short while if it was a big redemption and you're slightly out of miles.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC SPG would sometimes either give or lend a few thousand points to elites.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Where are you guys booking at to get points to show up?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Was anyone able to book the StR Maldives on points? I see wide availability on Marriott but when redirected to SPG, free nights rate is not available at all (not even on the list).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by porkie
Was anyone able to book the StR Maldives on points? I see wide availability on Marriott but when redirected to SPG, free nights rate is not available at all (not even on the list).
Its looking real space. No 5 day stays jan-aril
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
That is correct. You should be able to book the reservation without having points as that is one of the best parts of the old Marriott system that is supposed to carry over to the new system. However it appears to be broken because you can't even do it for Marriott hotels anymore. I spoke with one of the reps who confirmed that I should be able to book the reservation without having points, so she's reporting this issue.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Was worried that all the former SPG Cat 7 hotel award nights would get snapped up at the new 20k-SPG/60k-MR rates (formerly 30k/90k). But I had no trouble booking my 5 night ski season award and now working on a couple of others. The space seems to be there if you can work through the glitchy IT. Anybody else?
I booked the St Regis Punta Mita with points. I read Marriott's terms and conditions, which state that if a standard room is available for purchase using cash then we can use points for that room. This is different from the old policy, which basically allowed hotels to set aside a small percentage of standard rooms for awards. This new policy is probably the reason that we're seeing good availability!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by smgainey
That is correct. You should be able to book the reservation without having points as that is one of the best parts of the old Marriott system that is supposed to carry over to the new system. However it appears to be broken because you can't even do it for Marriott hotels anymore. I spoke with one of the reps who confirmed that I should be able to book the reservation without having points, so she's reporting this issue.
This is not true for legacy SPG properties. It's in the T&C that point advance isn't available for St. Regis, LC, etc. Always best to read the T&C before assuming something is just temporarily broken.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
So how did that work as far as you earning the points to pay for the stay. Do you have to have the points in the account right before the stay dates? I didnt know about this as I have been SPG for years. I never knew SPG would do something similar when I was waiting for points to post.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Hmmm...I am still not able to book a SPG Cat 7 hotel with points...my points come from Marriot and not the SPG side...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP, AC
Another data point
Marriott LTPP. Booked 2 nights at the St Regis Bal Harbour at the 60k rate. I had enough points in my MR account for the full redemption.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canuickstan420
Another data point
Marriott LTPP. Booked 2 nights at the St Regis Bal Harbour at the 60k rate. I had enough points in my MR account for the full redemption.
question for you, did you book it through the marriot app or?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.