Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Package - Class Action?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by imverge
Not just FlyerTalk but Facebook now has a page accusing Marriott of fraud. I encourage people to post on there too!

https://www.facebook.com/Marriottrewardfraud/
this is the same as one of the posters here.

not sure how this is any different than me suing for my points earned now being worth less at certain hotels.

dont really see this suit going anywhere.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
if you booked the hotel stays ... you are all set. Attached certificated will be honored. If you didn't ... well, ask yourself why you didn't ...
wanted SPG hotels?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:42 am

This issue is that Marriott CSRs were either purposely selling cat 6 and cat 8 hotel+air packages knowing that they would be losers with the new category map, or they were winging it and management knew they would put out a map that limits losses. That is poor customer service and borders fraud, but clearly unethical.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Repooc17
FTers threaten to sue A LOT

1) airlines not honoring way too good to be true mistake F fares - Sue!
2) airline takes longer than usual to give out 90K miles - Sue!
3) hotel devalues travel packages and other aspect of its member program following a merger - Sue!

Can we die down on the hysteria? Let's be calm and act rational like adults. We are all privileged to be flying in F/J and staying in luxury hotels for free, cents on the dollar, and in the worst scenario, deeply discounted. Let's appreciate things in life whenever possible, before they are taken away from us.
if only, but people love the drama! HAHA!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cfischer
that's your problem. They still work, but the categories are different.
I would suggest making it Marriott’s problem by engaging in a PR+ campaign to get this fixed. Hitting up travel news writers, for example.

“Marrirot ruins destination wedding and honeymoon plans for its biggest point collectors”?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by DancesWithWords
I absolutely feel I was harmed by the travel package conversion: I purchased a Cat. 1-5 package at 270k points, and about a week later added another 30k points (most of them purchased) to upgrade to a Cat. 6 certificate. This was done the week before the Aug. 18 deadline. At NO time was I informed by the Marriott representative that the Cat. 6 certificate I was purchasing was going to be worth exactly what my current Cat. 5 certificate was worth. So, in a nutshell, they sold me something that they KNEW was worth nothing. I can't imagine that this isn't somehow illegal.
This is wrong in so many ways:

1. Your upgrade was not "worth nothing". Before your upgrade you had a (old) cat 1-5 package, and after your upgrade you had a (old) cat 6 package. That means between the time you upgraded your certificate and the time your certificate got converted into the new program, you were able to book the (old) category 6 properties. If you chose not to then you can't blame Marriott for that.

2. Even if your upgrade was indeed worth nothing, then what? Say you go to a store and buy a TV for $300, then the next day you come back to the same store and see that same TV is on sale for $250. Clearly when you bought the TV the store already knew it was going to be on sale the next day, and they took your $300 anyway. Are you going to sue the store?

3. You were not harmed by the conversion: the new category 4 is worth up to 30k points per night, which is exactly what the old category 6 was worth.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by mk712
You were not harmed by the conversion: the new category 4 is worth up to 30k points per night, which is exactly what the old category 6 was worth.
That's not true--it isn't worth 30K points because it cannot book off-season Cat 5.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
That's not true--it isn't worth 30K points because it cannot book off-season Cat 5.
That's true, but you can't have it both way. You can't ask for your pre-merger certificate to be able to book properties at the pre-merger rate, while at the same time asking to have access to the post-merger off peak rates. The fact that peak pricing will not decrease the number of properties that you have access to with your certificate is already a win in itself since it can translate into significant savings.

Also, the way Marriott mapped the certificates means that in no situation would an old certificate have been able to afford a property one category higher than the converted new certificate at the standard rate. In other words, mapping any certificate one category higher then they did would have been unnecessarily generous on their part.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by mk712
That's true, but you can't have it both way. You can't ask for your pre-merger certificate to be able to book properties at the pre-merger rate, while at the same time asking to have access to the post-merger off peak rates. The fact that peak pricing will not decrease the number of properties that you have access to with your certificate is already a win in itself since it can translate into significant savings.

Also, the way Marriott mapped the certificates means that in no situation would an old certificate have been able to afford a property one category higher than the converted new certificate at the standard rate. In other words, mapping any certificate one category higher then they did would have been unnecessarily generous on their part.
Can you answer this for me: Why would a company operating a loyalty marketing program not have announced the previously-decided conversion chart in advance of August 18? As examples, people who wanted an old category 6 could have upgraded from category 1-5 and attached the certificate, while people who wanted a new category 5 could have upgraded to old category 7. I understand that the latter group was gambling, but Marriott knew that was happening and was in a position not to have its customers lose out. Why not be transparent with your customers? I'm legitimately confused.

By the way, if I buy a TV for $300 and it goes on sale for $250 the next day, most respectable businesses will give me back the $50 because they want to engender customer loyalty. My issues aren't about lawsuits -- I think those will be a waste of time. I'm talking about treating your customers fairly.
atojbk likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:16 pm

I am in if we are doing a class action. this is ridiculous, Marriott promised fair conversion and is even still stating no certificate is losing value in terms of points when they published the conversion plan. while the fact is they stole millions of dollars from the owners of cat 6,8, tier 4. 30k points is worth at least $250, it only takes them to fraud on 4000 certificates to get to a million dollars worth. and I am sure it is more than 4k certificates out there
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Take a look at this:

Positive Updates Regarding Marriott Travel Packages at One Mile at a Time, August 20, 2018.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Confirmed by Marriott Rewards Insider a few minutes ago:

Travel Packages Update at FlyerTalk

Last edited by Horace; Aug 21, 2018 at 7:04 am Reason: URL changed because moderators moved the post
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: Starwood PG, Delta SkyMiles, AA/Alaska, Priority Club
Pissed off.

Originally Posted by DancesWithWords
We were not "guessing." I was told my Category 6 package would be usable at a Category 6 hotel, period. (And I'm talking about the NEW Category 6, not the old one.)
I was told the exact same thing, which is why I booked a Cat 6 package. Royally pissed.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
Confirmed by Marriott Rewards Insider a few minutes ago:

Travel Packages Update at FlyerTalk
Well, the PR Sprint has gone out the door WITHOUT actually checking if the system is being told, "you have successfully undergone the pressure test. so better behave!"

Many reports on the net that people spent hours with multiple call centers both front line reps and supervisors trying to use their travel package certs but the no one has been able to book as of now, regardless what is being announced here.

The whole thing is FUBARed.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I would suggest making it Marriott’s problem by engaging in a PR+ campaign to get this fixed. Hitting up travel news writers, for example.

“Marrirot ruins destination wedding and honeymoon plans for its biggest point collectors”?
I don't see any way in which this plan was realistically going to work out, before or after the merger...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.