Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To view your cumulative years of status at each level, log into your Marriott or SPG account and then visit https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myA...ightDetails.mi

Until you merge accounts, the summary will show only the stats for whichever legacy program account you’re logged into (and not your combined totals in the new program).

Why does my Marriott lifetime elite total show several years of Plat status? I was Gold in the past, but never earned Plat.
Confusingly, Marriott has changed the terminology for elite levels in the new program. In the past, Gold meant you had 50+ nights in one year; going forward, Gold is the 25-night level & members who stay 50+ nights are Plat.

As a result, all prior years at the old, harder-to-earn Gold level are treated as Plat in the new program. Here’s how Starwood Lurker explained things in the wiki (FAQ B4) at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...tml#lifeheader:
Past years at applicable Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards Elite Night levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Silver Elite (10 nights) Years count as Silver Elite
Years at Gold Elite (50 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Elite (75 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Premier Elite (unpublished) Years count as Platinum Elite
Past years in SPG Elite levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Gold Preferred (25 nights) Years count as Gold Elite
Years at Platinum Preferred (50/75/100 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
The years that members achieved Elite status due to credit cards will count towards Lifetime status.
Print Wikipost

Years of status is available

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not convinced. I suspect that a lot of people have erroneously had elite years count from the MR/SPG status matching for linked accounts and for certain comped years that shouldn't count (such as SPG status from having an AmEx Plat/Centurion credit card). There could also be problems in the coding regarding counting legacy MR Gold (50+ nights) years as Plat years. It's also unclear whether years of lifetime status where the status level wasn't earned during the year should count, although this probably doesn't effect qualification for lifetime status levels.

OTOH, this might be an example: Suppose someone joined MR very long ago and earned MR LTG about a dozen years ago and since then has reached 750+ nights but never reached 50+ nights in a given year since qualifying for LTG (based on nights, points, and total years in the MR program) and never reached enough total lifetime points to receive legacy MR LTP. Do we would have someone with two or three earned Plat years (75+nights, and actually way over a hundred nights during each of these years) and a a dozen unearned Gold years (due to LTG status), where this was Gold in the legacy MR program, so that the comped years were at the 50+ nights level. Does this person get LTPP based on 750+ MR nights and more than ten "Plat" years from the couple years of genuine earned legacy MR Plat status and all of those comped (due to lifetime status) legacy MR Gold years? Admittedly, this would be an extreme case of someone having several years in the distant past of hundreds of nights with lots of spend followed by about a decade of not very many nights and not very much spend. It would also be someone who has been a MR member for more than two decades, so maybe the person is old enough that no one has to worry about this person taking very many upgrades for long even if LTPP is granted.
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not convinced. I suspect that a lot of people have erroneously had elite years count from the MR/SPG status matching for linked accounts and for certain comped years that shouldn't count (such as SPG status from having an AmEx Plat/Centurion credit card). There could also be problems in the coding regarding counting legacy MR Gold (50+ nights) years as Plat years. It's also unclear whether years of lifetime status where the status level wasn't earned during the year should count, although this probably doesn't effect qualification for lifetime status levels.

OTOH, this might be an example: Suppose someone joined MR very long ago and earned MR LTG about a dozen years ago and since then has reached 750+ nights but never reached 50+ nights in a given year since qualifying for LTG (based on nights, points, and total years in the MR program) and never reached enough total lifetime points to receive legacy MR LTP. Do we would have someone with two or three earned Plat years (75+nights, and actually way over a hundred nights during each of these years) and a a dozen unearned Gold years (due to LTG status), where this was Gold in the legacy MR program, so that the comped years were at the 50+ nights level. Does this person get LTPP based on 750+ MR nights and more than ten "Plat" years from the couple years of genuine earned legacy MR Plat status and all of those comped (due to lifetime status) legacy MR Gold years? Admittedly, this would be an extreme case of someone having several years in the distant past of hundreds of nights with lots of spend followed by about a decade of not very many nights and not very much spend. It would also be someone who has been a MR member for more than two decades, so maybe the person is old enough that no one has to worry about this person taking very many upgrades for long even if LTPP is granted.
Too clarify my point I do not say that there are a lot of instances with data points that have not been aggregated according to the a priori stipulated rules communicated by the Lurkers.. What I am saying is that many of these accounts have been signed off as accurate. In order for the CEO to publicly go out and say that the systems are stable must have involved some sort of sign off from the responsible IT management. After all MAR is publicly traded and to release such a statement you need at least your internal sign off(s) done. At least if I was the CEO I would like to protect my behind .... I guess this is the scenario with the highest likelihood ... Now as always with MAR certain aspects of the business are run very unprofessional which makes what with another corporation would be unthinkable more likely ...
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I recall a statement from the CEO months ago saying that everything was stable, but most people here disagreed. There was a thread on it.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:30 am

Yes that is exactly my point this indicate that IT signed off an unstable system as stable, i.e. some accounts still had problem with no showing activity, erroneous aggregated data, etc.
In a normal organisation these problem accounts will be solved by individual tickets most likely opened based on a account holder contacting Marriott ...not by launching another IT project (with attached budget) which would be hard to justify internally after you signed off the system as stable...However you can always solve individual tickets as BAU items ...
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
This is just one data point I'll add

My Starwood account does show an additional lifetime platinum year reflecting 2018. However, I earned 2018 platinum status before the August merger, so take it with a grain of salt.

The account now also shows an additional year of Silver status for 2019. I have not earned status yet this year, but I hold the SPG Amex and starting in 2019 that card provides automatic Silver status, so that must be how I already have an additional lifetime year.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by X-ON
Too clarify my point I do not say that there are a lot of instances with data points that have not been aggregated according to the a priori stipulated rules communicated by the Lurkers.. What I am saying is that many of these accounts have been signed off as accurate. In order for the CEO to publicly go out and say that the systems are stable must have involved some sort of sign off from the responsible IT management. After all MAR is publicly traded and to release such a statement you need at least your internal sign off(s) done. At least if I was the CEO I would like to protect my behind .... I guess this is the scenario with the highest likelihood ... Now as always with MAR certain aspects of the business are run very unprofessional which makes what with another corporation would be unthinkable more likely ...
I totally agree.

Status.marriatt.com claimed that all LT status was correct for everyone many months back. If the Marriott IT runs another script just to deduct a few years from a few members' accounts now, it is very bad customer service and gross incompetence. But with the current senior management, who knows if they care?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:29 am

Have anyone gotten status #year count updated with respect to 2018 activity?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by X-ON
Have anyone gotten status #year count updated with respect to 2018 activity?
Not for me
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I think I can recall a single post where someone recently reported a year bump, so it's probably best if only positive replies to #277 be posted, no? In the LTPP Sweep thread we had days of people reporting that nothing had happened to their accounts yet, and I gotta tell ya it was pretty annoying. I was tempted there for awhile to report each day that it was still not my birthday.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium/ Lifetime Platinum, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I have not received an extra lifetime year for 2018 so I called PP line yesterday. The information provided was that I should receive my extra year (which would put me at 10 years platinum) in August 2019 since I crossed the platinum/50 night threshold in August 2018.

Not sure if this is standard practice now but just wanted to share this one data point.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:54 am

That is bizarre if true, it however have all the hallmarks of being a made up answer/lie. How would they explain that the 25+ stay SPG legacy year with respect to 2018 activity have already been awarded. What is the logic with award 25 stays in Jan but 50+ nights later in the year ... Mickey Mouse ... It seems that the poor communication not only pertains to their customers it also extends to their own employees ...

When I posed the same question to the lurkers William told me that it will be awarded in Jan.
RogerD408 and naumank like this.

Last edited by X-ON; Jan 29, 2019 at 7:00 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cll1881
I have not received an extra lifetime year for 2018 so I called PP line yesterday. The information provided was that I should receive my extra year (which would put me at 10 years platinum) in August 2019 since I crossed the platinum/50 night threshold in August 2018.

Not sure if this is standard practice now but just wanted to share this one data point.
Is there a real PP line now? Or did you just call a supposedly special number for PPs and get some random agent who might have been hired yesterday?

If the new rule is that you only get credit for the status year after you have "enjoyed" a full year of the status level, this is different from how either MR or SPG counted elite years in the past.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium/ Lifetime Platinum, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there a real PP line now? Or did you just call a supposedly special number for PPs and get some random agent who might have been hired yesterday?

If the new rule is that you only get credit for the status year after you have "enjoyed" a full year of the status level, this is different from how either MR or SPG counted elite years in the past.
You’re guess is as good (or probably better) as mine but I’d bet it’s the latter.

I also called back back today to speak with a different agent and she indicted I should see an extra year added as of February 1st.

Not totally surprised I got a different response today but I’ll report back with what I see post-Feb 1.

Last edited by Cll1881; Jan 29, 2019 at 9:36 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:34 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
How's it going re: getting an extra year of status posted based on last year's activity? I had been told to expect it by the end of January but haven't seen anything yet.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cll1881

You’re guess is as good (or probably better) as mine but I’d bet it’s the latter.

I also called back back today to speak with a different agent and she indicted I should see an extra year added as of February 1st.

Not totally surprised I got a different response today but I’ll report back with what I see post-Feb 1.
Checked this morning and the app still shows 9 years for me. However, the website is showing 10 years now! I'll choose to believe the website....but in case the powers that be don't agree with me, I took a screenshot.

I read in a different FT Marriott thread that a poster was told the rollover for the extra year was Feb 8. I don't know if that means they are doing them in waves or if all of us are getting different answers based on who we are asking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.