Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To view your cumulative years of status at each level, log into your Marriott or SPG account and then visit https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myA...ightDetails.mi

Until you merge accounts, the summary will show only the stats for whichever legacy program account youre logged into (and not your combined totals in the new program).

Why does my Marriott lifetime elite total show several years of Plat status? I was Gold in the past, but never earned Plat.
Confusingly, Marriott has changed the terminology for elite levels in the new program. In the past, Gold meant you had 50+ nights in one year; going forward, Gold is the 25-night level & members who stay 50+ nights are Plat.

As a result, all prior years at the old, harder-to-earn Gold level are treated as Plat in the new program. Heres how Starwood Lurker explained things in the wiki (FAQ B4) at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...tml#lifeheader:
Past years at applicable Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards Elite Night levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Silver Elite (10 nights) Years count as Silver Elite
Years at Gold Elite (50 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Elite (75 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Premier Elite (unpublished) Years count as Platinum Elite
Past years in SPG Elite levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Gold Preferred (25 nights) Years count as Gold Elite
Years at Platinum Preferred (50/75/100 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
The years that members achieved Elite status due to credit cards will count towards Lifetime status.
Print Wikipost

Years of status is available

Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by teach42
Much appreciated. I'm a little confused, because I know for a fact I was platinum for more than 3 years at Marriott. And when I called in, they said that I was platinum for six years. Should I be calling customer service and asking for a correction?? Or do I just not understand how it works under the new program?

That's what confused me. I believe they said I had six years. According to the SPG chart above, I had 2 from them. And right now I'm showing platinum in both SPG and Marriott apps.... but as it is I won't hit the marks this year unless I deliberately start doing mattress runs.
There is the point about buy back, and "taste of" challenges not counting Though that, in reports here, seems to have mixed efficiency

Someone wrote that it was the status you had in March of any given year that counted. By that count, I can make my years stack up. Though this may just be random coincidence.
​​​
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is the point about buy back, and "taste of" challenges not counting Though that, in reports here, seems to have mixed efficiency

Someone wrote that it was the status you had in March of any given year that counted. By that count, I can make my years stack up. Though this may just be random coincidence.
​​​

Can you elaborate on this one? I haven't heard of that before.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Can you elaborate on this one? I haven't heard of that before.
It is based on what people have written in this thread., what kind of feedback they have had from Marriott, various items being posted on blogs, etc. and additionally for me reading from One Mile at a Time.

To be honest, I don't think every account is calculated 100% accurately, and I don't think anyone outside of Marriott really knows how it should be calculated. I can wonder if they really do know. But they are certainly not disclosing the exact details of how to calculate.

​​​​​
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If they don't disclose their rules for how lifetime years are counted and don't tell you which years are being credited at what level, it's very difficult to argue that their count is wrong.
Ord Liza likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they don't disclose their rules for how lifetime years are counted and don't tell you which years are being credited at what level, it's very difficult to argue that their count is wrong.
This is just bizarre... I cant understand why this would be some kind of big corporate secret how this is done. Just say what counts and what doesnt. Its their program and they can do what they want anyways.... and this seems like an odd way to treat what they claim are their best customers. I think that the call center folks are just making stuff up to justify what the computer says and to shut people up. How is this way to run a loyalty program?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stats are below. I'm totally baffled at this point. Does this mean I'll automatically get Gold Lifetime at the end of this year? And what do I need to do to earn Lifetime Platinum at this point? Is there anything I should try to do before the end of 2018 specifically??

Thanks for any help!

Marriott
Nights: 635

Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 4
Years as Gold or Platinum: 3
Years as Platinum: 3

SPG
Nights: 66
Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 3
Years as Gold or Platinum: 3
Years as Platinum: 2
Go read this:

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/09/01/...ill-available/

and see how close you are to 1.6 million lifetime points. The other way to qualify for Lifetime Platinum (but only by the end of this year) is to get to 500 lifetime Marriott nights (which you already have) and 1.6 million lifetime Marriott points (which you have to use the technique at that link above to see, unless you remember what it was from before AUg 18).

And if you want to pursue that, there's a separate thread about pursuing lifetime Marriott status that way, which lists all the ways you can try to earn the points:

The Race to 2.0MM Points is On!

(That thread is titled after what you need for Lifetime Platinum Premier, but the techniques are the same if you're trying for Lifetime Platinum.)
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much appreciated. I'm a little confused, because I know for a fact I was platinum for more than 3 years at Marriott. And when I called in, they said that I was platinum for six years. Should I be calling customer service and asking for a correction?? Or do I just not understand how it works under the new program?
What counts is not how many years you were Platinum, it's how many years you earned Platinum by staying 50+ nights. Years following the year you earned don't count, challenges ("Taste Of") apparently don't count, status years you got outright from a credit card don't count, etc.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What counts is not how many years you were Platinum, it's how many years you earned Platinum by staying 50+ nights. Years following the year you earned don't count, challenges ("Taste Of") apparently don't count, status years you got outright from a credit card don't count, etc.
But, in my case, getting it through UA RewardsPlus does count amazingly enough...
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
The actual formula for how to map # elite years from SPG and MR into MPG has been deemed as proprietary by MAR. We do not really know why but my feeling is to make it harder for account holders to challenge the number of years that they have received. So if someone got their challenge years or other years it could be due to an IT glitch or it could be for some other reason that they decided to comp these years . We will never know for sure and I assume that was the original intention.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by X-ON
The actual formula for how to map # elite years from SPG and MR into MPG has been deemed as proprietary by MAR. We do not really know why but my feeling is to make it harder for account holders to challenge the number of years that they have received. So if someone got their challenge years or other years it could be due to an IT glitch or it could be for some other reason that they decided to comp these years . We will never know for sure and I assume that was the original intention.
Well, their "well'll keep you whole" mumbo-jumbo was not proprietary, it was a public statement. But of course, since it was non-specific (just using examples, not spelling out rules), it left just about as many questions unanswered as saying it's all "proprietary".
X-ON likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:53 pm

Well, their "well'll keep you whole" mumbo-jumbo was not proprietary, it was a public statement. But of course, since it was non-specific (just using examples, not spelling out rules), it left just about as many questions unanswered as saying it's all "proprietary".
I agree with you to a point. However, I do think that when they posted the question of: "How are years at tenure calculated for Legacy MR and RCR members?" and then answered it with: "If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status)", they represented that years of Marriott gold would be counted, not that only years in which the member actually had 50 nights would be counted.

I think they did leave unanswered the question of the timing of those years (Ie counting years by the year in which status was achieved or totaling months at a status level or years during which one held status all year or looking only at status on March 1st).
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:39 pm

Based on my totals it looks like a year with Elite in both programs gets 2 years in the new combined.

Your lifetime statistics

Nights: 1243

Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 36

Years as Gold or Platinum: 26

Years as Platinum: 22
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I'm still not seeing any nights come over from SPG and it's been 9 days. The points of course came right away. I also had missing Marriott stays that I had to send in the receipts. I just noticed my latest stay 10 days ago also hasn't posted.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:53 pm

Does anyone know if Marriott is still working at add August nights/stays to YTD count totals? My account is still missing nights from the first week of August (they were posted by SPG prior to August 18th, but then they disappeared).
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Has anyone else found that their "Years as ..." statistics are wrong-- on the high side? The figures MR shows for me are all above my own counting, including the "Years as Silver, Gold, or Platinum," which claims I've had elite status longer than I've even been a member of the program!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.