Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To view your cumulative years of status at each level, log into your Marriott or SPG account and then visit https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myA...ightDetails.mi

Until you merge accounts, the summary will show only the stats for whichever legacy program account you’re logged into (and not your combined totals in the new program).

Why does my Marriott lifetime elite total show several years of Plat status? I was Gold in the past, but never earned Plat.
Confusingly, Marriott has changed the terminology for elite levels in the new program. In the past, Gold meant you had 50+ nights in one year; going forward, Gold is the 25-night level & members who stay 50+ nights are Plat.

As a result, all prior years at the old, harder-to-earn Gold level are treated as Plat in the new program. Here’s how Starwood Lurker explained things in the wiki (FAQ B4) at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...tml#lifeheader:
Past years at applicable Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards Elite Night levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Silver Elite (10 nights) Years count as Silver Elite
Years at Gold Elite (50 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Elite (75 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Premier Elite (unpublished) Years count as Platinum Elite
Past years in SPG Elite levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Gold Preferred (25 nights) Years count as Gold Elite
Years at Platinum Preferred (50/75/100 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
The years that members achieved Elite status due to credit cards will count towards Lifetime status.
Print Wikipost

Years of status is available

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler
...@Ord Liza is saying status buyback and soft landing years are not counting...
Just to clarify, buybacks and challenges/road to; I don't have info re soft landings.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I missed that post. Perhaps that's the answer and, if so, sorry for the diversion from what I think is the more important issue: What constitutes a year of status?
Several people asked this in a variety of ways and about a variety of circumstances (soft landings, RewardsPlus match, etc.) and Starwood Lurker passed back answers from corporate that said, in effect, "that's proprietary & we won't tell you the answer."

Search the wiki at Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August for "match" to see what I mean.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Several people asked this in a variety of ways and about a variety of circumstances (soft landings, RewardsPlus match, etc.) and Starwood Lurker passed back answers from corporate that said, in effect, "that's proprietary & we won't tell you the answer."

Search the wiki at Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August for "match" to see what I mean.
I know; in fact I posted Question 45 in the WIKI that directly addressed this and received William's response. (Other than apparently missing your post about the probable explanation for the discrepancy in non-combined account years, I have followed this issue very closely.) That William refused to answer directly does not change the fact that Marriott posted on their website other information that, when taken together, conflicts with the current situation (which appears to be that buybacks and challenges are not being counted).
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by phltraveler
That certainly agrees with my experience - coming from the legacy MR side (and qualifying for old MR LTP/new LTPP via nights + points before 08/18), I had a status linked match to SPG Plat for 2017+ 2018 and those are being counted as two years "at Plat" on Marriott.com, despite not organically earning SPG plat separately in the SPG program via nights.
It's still all over the map, apparently. I earned Plat in both legacy SPG and legacy MR separately in 2017, carrying into 2018 (and I had not yet reattained Plat in either program during 2018 carrying into 2019, but I had reattained Gold in legacy SPG during 2018). My accounts were linked prior to being combined (since whenever that became a possibility). I'd never held status in SPG prior to 2017. I received precisely one Plat year and one Gold year from SPG when combining accounts - presumably those earned via nights stayed in 2017 and 2018, respectively.

So different members are seeing differing results right now. We still don't know with 100% certainty what the intent was/is. We can, however, be fairly certain that eventually a single policy will be swept across all accounts, and thus some might see MR giveth, and some might see MR taketh away (and don't think they might be afraid to do it due to some notion of backlash - my account just spent 24 hours with bold red text warning me that my LT status could not currently be displayed due to possible discrepancies, apparently none of which were found - yet).
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
We can, however, be fairly certain that eventually a single policy will be swept across all accounts, and thus some might see MR giveth, and some might see MR taketh away (and don't think they might be afraid to do it due to some notion of backlash - my account just spent 24 hours with bold red text warning me that my LT status could not currently be displayed due to possible discrepancies, apparently none of which were found - yet).
Not necessarily. I've been involved with IT implementations dealing with this sort of high volume data. If they uncover a data situation where the intended policies weren't properly applied, it would not be uncommon to write a job to identify and correct just the error population, rather than rerun a single job on tens of millions of mostly-correct accounts. And there will be multiple correction jobs, with different but sometimes overlapping populations. Inevitably, a few accounts will fall through the cracks.

In some cases, the errors will be in the customers' favor, and Marriott is not likely to get requests to correct. But even in those cases where the elite year count is incorrectly low, some members may not notice. Some members won't remember or have records going back a decade or two of what their actual elite years were. And even those who are low, and have good records, Marriott's statement that the determination of which types of elite years count is proprietary makes it difficult to protest or appeal.

So given all this, it seems highly likely that when all is said and done, some members will have an incorrect elite year count going forward in perpetuity.
beltway, X-ON, sdsearch and 1 others like this.

Last edited by swag; Aug 24, 2018 at 1:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Some members won't remember or have records going back a decade or two of what their actual elite years were.
IT ME
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by swag
So given all this, it seems highly likely that when all is said and done, some members will have an incorrect elite year count going forward in perpetuity.
Actually, this point is well taken. I suppose that around these parts (FT), we forget how little the vast majority of the population will ever take notice of one way or the other, and no doubt MR will be content to just accept an average wash with errors in both directions.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:42 pm

Just FYI all, status.marriott.com now claims that your LT status is now correct, so it's entirely within the realm of possibility that they are satisfied with whatever your account now reflects and will not be applying any further scripts.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I’m pretty perplexed. Mine still showed unchanged this evening—the loyalty site is down now so maybe it’s doing something?. I had no buybacks and only one gold—>plat challenge. No status via RewardsPlus. I do have nights from the MR CC but I’m sure most of us do. Every year since 2010 either MR Gold or MR Plat and it shows only 2 years MR Plat. 550 MR nights. Before combining SPG showed 2 years plat so I’m assuming it’s from the match as I was never SPG plat by other means.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by yeunganson
The merge isn't finished yet so some reporting missing years and some reporting unexpected additional years. So those with more than expected years credited - don't get hopes up it will stay that way. Those with fewer than expected years - don't get all upset because updates are continuing.
Yeah, I'm in the camp of having more years than expected. I will not be surprised when they right size them downward.
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Any consensus on whether status earned in 2018 for 2019 is included when you visit https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myA...ightDetails.mi"

Mine is still showing 0 as Platinum when logging in under Marriott but I have earned it this year with 50 nights. I want to make sure that when I combine my accounts with 9 Platinum years with SPG including this year I get the Lifetime Platinum I am expecting. I am over 600 nights combined.

When I log in via SPG it shows 9 which does include this year. So I am confused whether Lifetime years should or should not include status earned this year for 2019. Or could it just be designed to work differently when loging in to Marriott rather than SPG?

Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
Any consensus on whether status earned in 2018 for 2019 is included when you visit https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myA...ightDetails.mi"

Mine is still showing 0 as Platinum when logging in under Marriott but I have earned it this year with 50 nights.
50 nights with legacy Marriott in addition to your earned SPG Plat? While there've been a variety of experiences, the policy was supposed to be that you could earn two years Plat in 2018 by qualifying in both programs separately - not through account linking. Not clear from your post what your exact scenario is.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
50 nights with legacy Marriott in addition to your earned SPG Plat? While there've been a variety of experiences, the policy was supposed to be that you could earn two years Plat in 2018 by qualifying in both programs separately - not through account linking. Not clear from your post what your exact scenario is.
Exact scenario is prior to 2018 I had 8 years of SPG Plat and 0 years of Marriott anything over silver. I have 28 stays and 45 nights in 2018 at SPG. I have 56 nights at Marriott in 2018.
So as I understand the policy it should be 2 years platinum earned in 2018 for 2019 and a total of 10 lifetime (i.e. 8+0+2=10). With over 600 nights combined that should be Lifetime platinum.
But the lifetime years at the platinum level I find right now on the iphone App and visiting the website are 9 for SPG and 0 for Marriott.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
Exact scenario is prior to 2018 I had 8 years of SPG Plat and 0 years of Marriott anything over silver. I have 28 stays and 45 nights in 2018 at SPG. I have 56 nights at Marriott in 2018.
So as I understand the policy it should be 2 years platinum earned in 2018 for 2019 and a total of 10 lifetime (i.e. 8+0+2=10). With over 600 nights combined that should be Lifetime platinum.
But the lifetime years at the platinum level I find right now on the iphone App and visiting the website are 9 for SPG and 0 for Marriott.
Well it's clear that you have the 2018 nights for the new Marriott Plat, so that big fat zero is going to have to be corrected eventually - even if manually at some point. As of this morning, I'm still randomly seeing popup in the app warning me that account maintenance is going on and thus some info may not be accurate. So maybe just keep checking for awhile longer and eventually call, if necessary...
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Q regarding LT years - I split time between SPG and Marriott this year. On combining, my nights reach Platinum Premier (which is the status I have currently/earned last year so no change there). I expect at some point to get one more year tacked on for Years as Platinum or higher.

Has this updated for anyone yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.