Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To view your cumulative years of status at each level, log into your Marriott or SPG account and then visit https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myA...ightDetails.mi

Until you merge accounts, the summary will show only the stats for whichever legacy program account youre logged into (and not your combined totals in the new program).

Why does my Marriott lifetime elite total show several years of Plat status? I was Gold in the past, but never earned Plat.
Confusingly, Marriott has changed the terminology for elite levels in the new program. In the past, Gold meant you had 50+ nights in one year; going forward, Gold is the 25-night level & members who stay 50+ nights are Plat.

As a result, all prior years at the old, harder-to-earn Gold level are treated as Plat in the new program. Heres how Starwood Lurker explained things in the wiki (FAQ B4) at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...tml#lifeheader:
Past years at applicable Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards Elite Night levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Silver Elite (10 nights) Years count as Silver Elite
Years at Gold Elite (50 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Elite (75 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Premier Elite (unpublished) Years count as Platinum Elite
Past years in SPG Elite levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Gold Preferred (25 nights) Years count as Gold Elite
Years at Platinum Preferred (50/75/100 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
The years that members achieved Elite status due to credit cards will count towards Lifetime status.
Print Wikipost

Years of status is available

Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Iguana0
My Marriott lifetime years seem to be way off. I’ve been gold for 4 years and platinum for 5 years with some buy backs during the years. Lifetime gold+ years on the app and site show 5 years only when I am expecting 8 or 9 depending on whether they count my first taste of gold challenge year. I was under the impression that all status years would count, no matter how they were earned. Anyone else in a similar boat?
Yes.

In addition to showing only some of my status years, mine is showing the same number of years for "Years as Gold or Platinum" as it is for "Years as Platinum". Makes no sense. Even putting aside for the moment the issue of which years count, I had enough nights for some gold years and some platinum years. Either they are counting gold years as platinum in the count they are showing**, in which case everyone should have the same number of gold/platinum as platinum, or they aren't, in which case, anyone who has the same number in both is being treated as having zero gold years. What am I missing here?

**They said they would count gold as platinum for lifetime purposes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's how they'll show it on the screen.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ord Liza
Yes.

In addition to showing only some of my status years, mine is showing the same number of years for "Years as Gold or Platinum" as it is for "Years as Platinum". Makes no sense. Even putting aside for the moment the issue of which years count, I had enough nights for some gold years and some platinum years. Either they are counting gold years as platinum in the count they are showing**, in which case everyone should have the same number of gold/platinum as platinum, or they aren't, in which case, anyone who has the same number in both is being treated as having zero gold years. What am I missing here?

**They said they would count gold as platinum for lifetime purposes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's how they'll show it on the screen.
Please read the (very short) wiki above.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Yes.

The old Marriott Gold will count as Platinum for LT status under the new program,, the old SPG Gold will count as Gold under the new program. So it depends on where your years for LT status originate from whether there will be a difference in the gold/plat count and plat count.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Please read the (very short) wiki above.
I am very aware of the information in the wiki; I don't think it addresses the issue I raised.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The old Marriott Gold will count as Platinum for LT status under the new program,, the old SPG Gold will count as Gold under the new program. So it depends on where your years for LT status originate from whether there will be a difference in the gold/plat count and plat count.
I should have mentioned that I have not yet combined my accounts so mine should be showing only my Marriott years of status. Assuming that is correct, my question still remains (although the "everyone" in it should be modified to "everyone who has not yet combined accounts", as should the "anyone").
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fluxtravels
Sorry - I didn't make that clear in my original post. It seems like lifetime nights include everything (as it always has), but the "Years of XX Status" doesn't include "future" statuses (i.e.: what you'll qualify for in 2019).
It's been taken down again now, but I looked at my MR lifetime status year counts earlier today and the only way mine could be right is if 2019 is included.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

I am very aware of the information in the wiki; I don't think it addresses the issue I raised.
I think it (and the discussion fairly early in this thread, which prompted the wiki's creation) are directly on point, but suit yourself.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by swag
So am I the only one whose Gold and Plat numbers are not the same?

Your lifetime statistics

Nights: 701
Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 14
Years as Gold or Platinum: 11
Years as Platinum: 10

This is on the Marriott side. In 2017 I had something like 35 nights, so I was Silver for this year before the weekend, and am currently showing as Gold. So maybe that's the difference?

Edit to add: I also have ~37 nights this year, so Gold for 2019 based on annual nights, maybe that is the extra?
I think it (and the discussion fairly early in this thread, which prompted the wiki's creation) are directly on point, but suit yourself.
beltway, you may be right and I may just be confusing myself, but how then do you get situations like swag's? (And I am pretty sure I've seen reports in other threads of non-combined marriott accounts showing different numbers for the plat and gold/plat categories.) That is, in part, what is confusing me.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:15 pm
Suspended

beltway, you may be right and I may just be confusing myself, but how then do you get situations like swag's? (And I am pretty sure I've seen reports in other threads of non-combined marriott accounts showing different numbers for the plat and gold/plat categories.) That is, in part, what is confusing me.
As I explained (argued, anyway) in post 41, swag is an edge case as follows:

You earned NewGold(tm) for 2018 by accumulating 25+ nights last year.
My working theory is that except for people in this category (earned the new 25-night Gold status for 2018), everyone's Plat and Plat/Gold numbers should be identical.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
My years are now zeroed out on the website. They still show up on the app.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:33 am

As I explained (argued, anyway) in post 41, swag is an edge case as follows:

My working theory is that except for people in this category (earned the new 25-night Gold status for 2018), everyone's Plat and Plat/Gold numbers should be identical.
I missed that post. Perhaps that's the answer and, if so, sorry for the diversion from what I think is the more important issue: What constitutes a year of status? It appears that Marriott is not keeping people "whole": Their online answer to that question certainly made it sound as though "... years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status)..." would be treated as years of status. The 50 night level (Gold Elite status) was achieved through many means, the majority of which appear now not to be recognized. They spoke of years "achieved" without any clarification that those years had to be achieved in a certain way in order to be counted. They even specified that years achieved through linking would not count, yet didn't mention buy backs or challenges as not counting. I would not have been thrilled about the decision not to include buy backs or challenges if Marriott had been upfront about it: programs change; I get that. But the way they did it is so low buck.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I missed that post. Perhaps that's the answer and, if so, sorry for the diversion from what I think is the more important issue: What constitutes a year of status? It appears that Marriott is not keeping people "whole": Their online answer to that question certainly made it sound as though "... years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status)..." would be treated as years of status. The 50 night level (Gold Elite status) was achieved through many means, the majority of which appear now not to be recognized. They spoke of years "achieved" without any clarification that those years had to be achieved in a certain way in order to be counted. They even specified that years achieved through linking would not count, yet didn't mention buy backs or challenges as not counting. I would not have been thrilled about the decision not to include buy backs or challenges if Marriott had been upfront about it: programs change; I get that. But the way they did it is so low buck.
Counterpoint - on 8/18, pre-combination, I saw 9 years Silver elite or better w/Starwood (all Plat, not surprising), but then saw 4 years Gold elite or better w/Marriott (which was very surprising to me). I had one year of Silver w/Marriott ~10 years ago or so, but never Gold until the recent years.

I was first Gold via RewardsPlus, then upgraded to Plat the last couple years w/the linking. And then I just earned MR Plat for 2019 by July, the old fashioned way (well, with lots of Rewarding Events too )

So, to sum it up, 3 of my 4 Gold or better nights w/Marriott were not actually earned (and my combined counter is now showing 13 Elite years)...so isn't that me being made "whole"?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Counterpoint - on 8/18, pre-combination, I saw 9 years Silver elite or better w/Starwood (all Plat, not surprising), but then saw 4 years Gold elite or better w/Marriott (which was very surprising to me). I had one year of Silver w/Marriott ~10 years ago or so, but never Gold until the recent years.

I was first Gold via RewardsPlus, then upgraded to Plat the last couple years w/the linking. And then I just earned MR Plat for 2019 by July, the old fashioned way (well, with lots of Rewarding Events too )

So, to sum it up, 3 of my 4 Gold or better nights w/Marriott were not actually earned (and my combined counter is now showing 13 Elite years)...so isn't that me being made "whole"?
And I didn't bother to activate RewardsPlus because I was already Platinum (or so I thought). How much sense does that make?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I think the "made whole" comment was more to comfort old MR Silvers who had 25-49 nights a year that they would be counted as nights at "Gold or higher" in new program and for old MR Golds that their nights would be counted as years at "Plat or higher" in the merged program for lifetime qualification.

Nonetheless I do find the discrepancies on years that are being counted vs. not interesting. @Ord Liza is saying status buyback and soft landing years are not counting. You are saying that years of status linking do. That certainly agrees with my experience - coming from the legacy MR side (and qualifying for old MR LTP/new LTPP via nights + points before 08/18), I had a status linked match to SPG Plat for 2017+ 2018 and those are being counted as two years "at Plat" on Marriott.com, despite not organically earning SPG plat separately in the SPG program via nights.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Nonetheless I do find the discrepancies on years that are being counted vs. not interesting. @Ord Liza is saying status buyback and soft landing years are not counting. You are saying that years of status linking do. That certainly agrees with my experience - coming from the legacy MR side (and qualifying for old MR LTP/new LTPP via nights + points before 08/18), I had a status linked match to SPG Plat for 2017+ 2018 and those are being counted as two years "at Plat" on Marriott.com, despite not organically earning SPG plat separately in the SPG program via nights.
Not that it matters going forward, but there is really no way to figure out if the years are Gold or Plat, right?

If I were to guess, 2016 was my Gold year via UA, 2017-18 were my Plat years via SPG link, and 2019 was my earned MR Plat year

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.