Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To view your cumulative years of status at each level, log into your Marriott or SPG account and then visit https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myA...ightDetails.mi

Until you merge accounts, the summary will show only the stats for whichever legacy program account youre logged into (and not your combined totals in the new program).

Why does my Marriott lifetime elite total show several years of Plat status? I was Gold in the past, but never earned Plat.
Confusingly, Marriott has changed the terminology for elite levels in the new program. In the past, Gold meant you had 50+ nights in one year; going forward, Gold is the 25-night level & members who stay 50+ nights are Plat.

As a result, all prior years at the old, harder-to-earn Gold level are treated as Plat in the new program. Heres how Starwood Lurker explained things in the wiki (FAQ B4) at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...tml#lifeheader:
Past years at applicable Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards Elite Night levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Silver Elite (10 nights) Years count as Silver Elite
Years at Gold Elite (50 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Elite (75 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Premier Elite (unpublished) Years count as Platinum Elite
Past years in SPG Elite levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Gold Preferred (25 nights) Years count as Gold Elite
Years at Platinum Preferred (50/75/100 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
The years that members achieved Elite status due to credit cards will count towards Lifetime status.
Print Wikipost

Years of status is available

Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
No ETA. Still a work in progress.
This is at least a somewhat comforting answer. My number of years calculated was never right to begin with, but I ended up sitting with 9 years Platinum after merging. I hit Plat Premier in 2018 again and was hoping to see that number roll over to 10 in early January. I was starting to get concerned that it hadnt. Presumably once this gets done itll flip to 10 eventually, which despite being wrong would still get me LTP status (not LTPP - Im short on nights unfortunately).
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Although I try to be positive, I would not hold my breath to expect that they will get the LT years right after they introduce the silly name - Bon-whatever on Feb 13. Mark my words.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Will the concurrent elite years in my SPG and Marriott accounts get summed up after I combine ?

ie: I had Platinum status concurrently with both SPG and Marriott for 4 years during the last 5 years (some were acquired via CC and matching). Will I be considered to have had Platinum status for eight (4+4=8) years after I combine my accounts?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Maybe yes, maybe no - many conflicting reports. Mine did personally.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:48 am

Has the 2018 status years reflected in everyone's Lifetime years count?

My one is still the same as 2018 and not moved yet.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Will the concurrent elite years in my SPG and Marriott accounts get summed up after I combine ?

This is why you need to take screenshots to save before you combine accounts. The concurrent years are supposed to count, but Marriott IT has had problems lately.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jn in ca
This is why you need to take screenshots to save before you combine accounts. The concurrent years are supposed to count, but Marriott IT has had problems lately.
But only the concurrent years where you qualified on both, not concurrent years where one was only from status matching?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But only the concurrent years where you qualified on both, not concurrent years where one was only from status matching?
In the latter case, there are some difference between "supposed to" and "actually do", and it also may depend which direction they were matched. Matchings from Marriott into SPG don't seem to have been "erased" for many people [yet?]. pmSPG year calculations were declared "proprietary" around the time of the merger and have never budged to date AFAIK, only pmMarriott year calculations have been "semi-transparent" and have had "corrections" issued to them at least once since the merger..
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
In the latter case, there are some difference between "supposed to" and "actually do", and it also may depend which direction they were matched. Matchings from Marriott into SPG don't seem to have been "erased" for many people [yet?]. pmSPG year calculations were declared "proprietary" around the time of the merger and have never budged to date AFAIK, only pmMarriott year calculations have been "semi-transparent" and have had "corrections" issued to them at least once since the merger..
Yeah, the "supposed to" and "actual outcome" seems to be rather fluid. But seems difficult to complain that one got the "supposed to" and ended with a less favourable situation than other peoples' "actual outcome".
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by londonexpert

Same here.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by londonexpert

Apparently not yet for me, but there's some ambiguity about which years count, so who knows whether the count is correct now or not.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Apparently not yet for me, but there's some ambiguity about which years count, so who knows whether the count is correct now or not.
It looks that getting the LT years correct is their lowest priority item. To most people, I guess it doesnt have any immmediate impact but we are FTers.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by naumank
It looks that getting the LT years correct is their lowest priority item. To most people, I guess it doesnt have any immmediate impact but we are FTers.
"When" they adjust the lifetime years doesn't matter to me, except insofar as "whether" is also in doubt. The counter shows me at 8 lifetime Platinum years. By my calculation it should go up to 9 (because I achieved 25 stays at legacy Starwood properties in November 2018 and was told by SPG CS that I'd get an extra year of lifetime status but not until the January sweep) or 10 (because I also qualified in 2018 on nights under the legacy Marriott rules, and I am pretty sure -- but not certain -- that my current count does not include legacy Marriott qualification in 2018 for program year 2019). I have 600+ nights, so once my lifetime Platinum years go up to 10 I will have the freedom to stay at Marriott properties as and when I like. If the number turns out to be 9 then I'll have to pay attention to making sure I have 50 nights this year. And if, contrary to what I was promised, my lifetime years stay at 8, then I'll have to stay 50 nights this year and next year. Since I often schedule travel several months in advance, it has already been inconvenient and irritating to have to wait for the January sweep, and this will be compounded if it becomes the March sweep or the maybe-someday-or-maybe-not sweep. I don't know whether this makes me an obsessive Flyertalker, but my interest -- and I suspect that of many others -- is for practical reasons, not about status for its own sake.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
"When" they adjust the lifetime years doesn't matter to me, except insofar as "whether" is also in doubt. The counter shows me at 8 lifetime Platinum years. By my calculation it should go up to 9 (because I achieved 25 stays at legacy Starwood properties in November 2018 and was told by SPG CS that I'd get an extra year of lifetime status but not until the January sweep) or 10 (because I also qualified in 2018 on nights under the legacy Marriott rules, and I am pretty sure -- but not certain -- that my current count does not include legacy Marriott qualification in 2018 for program year 2019). I have 600+ nights, so once my lifetime Platinum years go up to 10 I will have the freedom to stay at Marriott properties as and when I like. If the number turns out to be 9 then I'll have to pay attention to making sure I have 50 nights this year. And if, contrary to what I was promised, my lifetime years stay at 8, then I'll have to stay 50 nights this year and next year. Since I often schedule travel several months in advance, it has already been inconvenient and irritating to have to wait for the January sweep, and this will be compounded if it becomes the March sweep or the maybe-someday-or-maybe-not sweep. I don't know whether this makes me an obsessive Flyertalker, but my interest -- and I suspect that of many others -- is for practical reasons, not about status for its own sake.
Agreed. I also keep checking my LT year counter because I fear that the IT would somehow decrease that counter for reasons that I would never find out.

If Marriott's management is reading this thread, I implore them to resist the temptation to reduce the number of LT years for anyone (unless the member requests explicitly) after displaying the number for almost 6 months. In the U.S., if an item is marked incorrectly lower than the actual price, it is the convention that the store honors the lower price. It's not about fairness, but customer service.

Last edited by naumank; Jan 23, 2019 at 1:51 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by naumank
Agreed. I also keep checking my LT year counter because I fear that the IT would somehow decrease that counter for reasons that I would never find out.

If Marriott's management is reading this thread, I implore them to resist the temptation to reduce the number of LT years for anyone (unless the member requests explicitly) after displaying the number for almost 6 months. In the U.S., if an item is marked incorrectly lower than the actual price, it is the convention that the store honors the lower price. It's not about fairness, but customer service.
I have said it before and I say it again. I would be very surprised if not the vast majority combined accounts have been signed off as correct given the time that have past from the mid August merger date.
As account merger strategy to leave a large subset of accounts with erroneous data exposed to the account holder (not signed off) and not fix it until 6M+ has passed must be regarded as incompetent even at MAR IT. This when the CEO have publicly claimed that all system are stable ... That being said if if it would happen anywhere it would be at MAR ... the level of incompetence that I have experienced at MAR is mind-boggling

Last edited by X-ON; Jan 23, 2019 at 2:25 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.