Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by bhrubin
If and when the functionality for using SNAs is restored with Marriott to look like it did with SPG, you would be able to view and select the room and suite types offered in the SNA pool.
I'd never stayed at SPG enough to earn SNAs, but FWIW when I'd attempted to use a couple of SNAs for a trip (at an MR property), they did give me a list of rooms to select, with some pictures and basic descriptions.

So you dont necessarily have to select a room or suite type for which you dont want to waste SNA
... yeahhhhh ... learned that lesson the hard way, as I was too eager to try out this new benefit. Ah well, I've got more, and will almost certainly earn the other 5 before December.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott PLT
New to Marriott Status -- and not sure how to handle upgrades

I'm relatively new to being a loyalty status member so please forgive if this question is a little out of place. I am trying to get the Platinum challenge out of the way, and am now almost halfway through -- but I have noticed that a lot of times when I check in, I am told that there are no upgraded rooms available (and in some cases I've been downgraded which is really annoying). When I get up to my room I check the app and it says there are 10-15 rooms available, not even suites but upgraded rooms. I am a Gold Elite member now and I thought that that included complimentary upgrades when available.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by h2rdw1r3d
I'm relatively new to being a loyalty status member so please forgive if this question is a little out of place. I am trying to get the Platinum challenge out of the way, and am now almost halfway through -- but I have noticed that a lot of times when I check in, I am told that there are no upgraded rooms available (and in some cases I've been downgraded which is really annoying). When I get up to my room I check the app and it says there are 10-15 rooms available, not even suites but upgraded rooms. I am a Gold Elite member now and I thought that that included complimentary upgrades when available.

Thanks in advance.
Gold is basically worthless in the new, post-August unified MarriottRitz-CarltonSPG loyalty program. Outside of maybe random properties here and there in flyover country and perhaps in developing markets you aren't going to get an upgrade.

Nevertheless, you shouldn't be downgraded from your confirmed, booked room.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Yes- and unfortunately, it's "expecting FDCs to care about their customers". They'll outright lie to you and tell you "there's no suites available" and on more than one occasion- and this at some of the lowest-end properties in MPG's portfolio, mind you- have pulled up available suites (or "better rooms", at least) on the app after they tell me this, and whattya know, a few keystrokes later, I get an upgrade.

It's gotten worse since the merger, too, and it sucks having to fight for upgrades in middle-of-nowhere properties with half-empty parking lots, but that's the new Marriott for ya. Good luck as a Gold, I'm lifetime Plat Premier.
C17PSGR and hockeyinsider like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Yes- and unfortunately, it's "expecting FDCs to care about their customers". They'll outright lie to you and tell you "there's no suites available" and on more than one occasion- and this at some of the lowest-end properties in MPG's portfolio, mind you- have pulled up available suites (or "better rooms", at least) on the app after they tell me this, and whattya know, a few keystrokes later, I get an upgrade.

It's gotten worse since the merger, too, and it sucks having to fight for upgrades in middle-of-nowhere properties with half-empty parking lots, but that's the new Marriott for ya. Good luck as a Gold, I'm lifetime Plat Premier.
It's even worse when you have a contract as part of an event that specifically requires a property to provide an upgrade to the best available room or suite.

The Renaissance Aruba, Westin Snowmass, J.W. Marriott Los Cabos, Westin Hapuna Beach, and the Perry Lane Hotel, Luxury Collection lied and only provided upgrades after an escalation and a reminder of the contract rider.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's even worse when you have a contract as part of an event that specifically requires a property to provide an upgrade to the best available room or suite.

The Renaissance Aruba, Westin Snowmass, J.W. Marriott Los Cabos, Westin Hapuna Beach, and the Perry Lane Hotel, Luxury Collection lied and only provided upgrades after an escalation and a reminder of the contract rider.
I continue to find this strange. From my experience, the JW Cabo position is that if you reserve a higher end room, they will not upgrade you further. That probably costs them a few nights a year from me, alone since I go there less, out of my irritation.

On the other hand, you're holding a meeting that generates several rooms and are obviously coded into their system. Plus, you have a contract with a suite upgrade guarantee.

I was at a company meeting last month at an LC which was group billed. When I checked in and gave them my number, they offered to upgrade me to a suite and I turned it down for internal political reasons. That being said, I know our organizer made sure that the C team had suites. Of course, I don't know if she paid for that or if it was rolled in. I'm a little surprised the sales team at the properties doesn't take care of you.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory?

I'm travelling out west, and had to make a last minute change to my itinerary. Booked a 1 BR suite at a Residence Inn for the night. Upon check-in, was told I was upgraded to a 2 BR suite. That was nice of them, but when I inquired further, I was told "we are sold out of 1 BR suites so we upgraded you to a 2 BR suite".

I didn't say anything, but of course was thinking given the statement that they would have done NO upgrade if they actually had a 1 BR suite left.

LT Plat Elite (soon to be LT PPE?)
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I continue to find this strange. From my experience, the JW Cabo position is that if you reserve a higher end room, they will not upgrade you further. That probably costs them a few nights a year from me, alone since I go there less, out of my irritation.
Everyone loved the property, but the playing of games on both the contract and the Marriott elite benefits was a bridge too far, especially when the property had maybe 25% occupancy. We were there for 5 nights in August 2017.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I was at a company meeting last month at an LC which was group billed. When I checked in and gave them my number, they offered to upgrade me to a suite and I turned it down for internal political reasons. That being said, I know our organizer made sure that the C team had suites. Of course, I don't know if she paid for that or if it was rolled in. I'm a little surprised the sales team at the properties doesn't take care of you.
I'm a tough negotiator but my riders aren't that difficult or demanding. I require double or triple points, one VIP upgrade to a suite, additional upgrades for the VIP and the 2-3 other elites paying the group rate individually to the best available room or suite, one daily amenity for the VIP (6 cans or bottles of Diet Dr. Pepper), and the waiver of a resort fee if the property charges one. At some nicer properties, I'll require the group rate to be available 3 days before or after the event.

As a point of references, my groups are generally 12 to 18 people for 3 to 5 nights plus at least 1 dinner on-property, lunches and daily breakfast.

My most recent event had 13 guest rooms for 3 nights. Three guests extended their stay to 5 nights. The group had dinner at the property 2 nights on top of countless drinks, lunches and breakfast. I think the final bill was $27,000. That's not an insignificant amount of revenue. I'll do 7-10 of these events per year.

I've never even gotten a telephone call from a regional Marriott sales manager.

A few properties send the general manager or sales manager to meet me and buy me drinks, but that's about it. When I go with the group (maybe 40% of the time) I typically get an upgrade, but seldom is there a bottle of wine waiting for me.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm half-kidding, but if your contract actually said "best available room or suite" then you left them the same colossal loophole that the rewards program has. "Well, yes, Mr. Hockeyinsider, every suite, junior suite, corner room, executive room, superior room, and deluxe room with a view are unsold for tonight and the rest of your stay but NONE of them are quote-unquote available for upgrade." The only times I've ever written such contracts, it was with Disney and the contract very specifically described EXACTLY which suites and other upgraded rooms would be provided--no flexibility or room for interpretation.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I'm half-kidding, but if your contract actually said "best available room or suite" then you left them the same colossal loophole that the rewards program has. "Well, yes, Mr. Hockeyinsider, every suite, junior suite, corner room, executive room, superior room, and deluxe room with a view are unsold for tonight and the rest of your stay but NONE of them are quote-unquote available for upgrade." The only times I've ever written such contracts, it was with Disney and the contract very specifically described EXACTLY which suites and other upgraded rooms would be provided--no flexibility or room for interpretation.
As I said in another post, my groups typically have one VIP (the guy who pays). He gets a suite upgrade each and every event. He also has ambassador status. The contracts always require a further upgrade to the best available suite, if available.

Here are examples of the language I have used:

"Upgrade to best available room (including suites) at time of check-in for guests with Marriott platinum, platinum premier or platinum premier ambassador elite status paying individually."

"Any guest individually paying on their own for their guest room will receive their SPG benefits, including an upgrade to the best available suite, based on status level and availability."
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Available is at least better than "standard." That being said, I've stayed a couple of times recently at the BH Marriott. I was there several times in 2017 as a legacy Plat Premier and was given a suite almost all stays. Notably ... suites didn't show as available during that time. I've been there a couple of times this month. On both occasions suites have been available on the website but they told me they aren't available. On my last stay, there was no more than 10 people in the excellent C lounge there. I think they must have a new GM who keeps hoping maybe someone will come in an book a suite.

Perhaps the contract should say the best "vacant suite." I would like to think a responsible sales manager would get the prebooked suite before you arrive.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
@copyright 1997 LT Plat Elite (soon to be LT PPE?)[/QUOTE)

Actually, soon to be LTT, Lifetime Titanium
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:27 am

Gold is basically worthless in the new, post-August unified MarriottRitz-CarltonSPG loyalty program. Outside of maybe random properties here and there in flyover country and perhaps in developing markets you aren't going to get an upgrade.

Nevertheless, you shouldn't be downgraded from your confirmed, booked room.
I was told that unfortunately they did not have any of the room types that I had reserved ready and that they were currently not accepting upgrade requests (she even said that she had platinums sleeping on, gasp, my floor) and so my choices were to accept the room or not have a room. I should have just pulled up the room guarantee at that point but I was trying to not be that guy. Checking the app showed that there were upgraded rooms being displayed as bookable. Unfortunately it does seem now after reading a few of the forum posts and Insider threads etc that being that guy is often the only way to get the benefits which one should have. I feel bad for the front desk personnel who are invariably put in that position of having to listen to people complain about their benefits all the while I'm sure not really giving two you know whats about whether or not some random person gets a suite or not.

Unfortunate. One of these days I will find a company that still does the right thing -- and I will shout its praises from the rafters.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
I was told that unfortunately they did not have any of the room types that I had reserved ready and that they were currently not accepting upgrade requests
Were you trying to check-in early (i.e. before the "official" check-in time)? If so, it isn't completely unusual for a hotel to not have all their room types available for check-in. But if you were there after the hotel's stated check-in time, it would have been in your best interest to remind them of that and of the Room-type guarantee. Then let them decide what to do next. While we can "discuss" upgrade availability all day long and what a Gold should be offered or not, the hotel is obligated to get you the room type you reserved. The very reason Marriott put that guarantee in the program is to discourage this type of behavior by the hotels and to give you, the customer, a level of comfort that what you will get at the least what you reserved.
C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Were you trying to check-in early (i.e. before the "official" check-in time)? If so, it isn't completely unusual for a hotel to not have all their room types available for check-in. But if you were there after the hotel's stated check-in time, it would have been in your best interest to remind them of that and of the Room-type guarantee. Then let them decide what to do next. While we can "discuss" upgrade availability all day long and what a Gold should be offered or not, the hotel is obligated to get you the room type you reserved. The very reason Marriott put that guarantee in the program is to discourage this type of behavior by the hotels and to give you, the customer, a level of comfort that what you will get at the least what you reserved.
No, it was at 8pm -- quite after check-in time though, if that matters. I wasn't able to get to the hotel until then, and I'm not sure if I specified that in my reservation. I'm still getting the hang of that. What's really odd too is that I wanted to make sure that I understood the policy correctly and so I tried the contact the help desk through the app via instant message (and subsequently learning that this is a terrible option) and asked about what happened. I got a response roughly 12 hours later (a few hours short of when I would be checking out ) that said a room of the correct type had opened up and I was free to switch. I declined and checked out.

And I'm going through all the forum threads as time permits (you guys are all amazingly helpful, thank you by the way) and I was a repeat guest at this hotel. Which I am learning ups my chances at an upgrade? It wasn't really that big a deal, I was just sort of taken aback by the whole customer service aspect of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.