Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I wish they would've emailed the terms and conditions of the new program to us (a long with the conversions for the 7-night certificates). I'm sure they weren't finalized on Aug 18, so they could've given us the information ahead of time.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by smgainey
I wish they would've emailed the terms and conditions of the new program to us (a long with the conversions for the 7-night certificates). I'm sure they weren't finalized on Aug 18, so they could've given us the information ahead of time.
Yes BUT then you might have booked away from Marriott/SPG It was VERY WELL PLAYED by Marriott. Create buzz and excitement, let there be a little confusion( no big deal), spring the new program in Mid August with most of the answers to questions created by the confusion. So, by my thinking, folks would play out the string and stay loyal while waiting for answers and clarifications. If they are unhappy on 8/18 , well at least their loyalty remained for 2/3 of the year - especially during the busy summer travel season and they have probably booked any Thanksgiving , Christmas, and New Years holiday travel. I can't see folks who stayed loyal and booked till this point of the year converting to a new loyalty program - but I could be wrong. Tip of the cap to Marriott.
smgainey likes this.

Last edited by Mister Nice; Aug 20, 2018 at 9:41 am Reason: fat fingers
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:46 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
There seem to be a non-published tier that I got into after the merge. We don't have this on SPG side. It's had no metal and just called 5 star...

I am assuming the five star is like Platinum in status level.

bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by yeunganson
There seem to be a non-published tier that I got into after the merge. We don't have this on SPG side. It's had no metal and just called 5 star...

You're very lucky. Plat 5 Star existed before this program merger. Rumor is that it was given to certain hotel owners or friends of (Bill) Marriott.

Plat 5* was above Platinum Premier in the legacy program (which was invite only with no published criteria, but the top 2-3% of marriott members by some unknown criteria to determine).
silverthief2 and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:24 am

May need to file my question under "wait until IT issues get sorted out" but did anyone only get the "Choose Your Gift - 50 nights", despite having stayed more than 75+? Wondering if it's an IT issue the 75+ night gift option doesn't appear yet.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:27 pm

love to know the revenue requirement go 5 Star !
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:20 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Supposedly a 5 Star Platinum is an very special level above pretty much all other elite levels. My understanding was that Mr. Marriott himself, or now maybe Mr. Sorenson's approval was required before someone would receive 5 Star status. Basically, you had to be on Marriott's BOD or a close personal friend, etc. So maybe if you keep your head low they won't catch this. I'm guessing suite upgrades might be a tad bit more likely with this level.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver

Congrats on this one, I've seen a 2-3 reports here on FT earlier where people claimed being bumped into 5-star. Can you share a bit more about your spending pattern and history? Do you have lifetime status or consistent high spending for multiple years in a row?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Does anyone ever email the hotel in advance or simply just ask when you check in at the front desk (even ask after you get your key with mobilel check in)??

Its really that simple and i get upgraded VERY often. Sometimes asking is the best way as it’s seems to be more impactful in person - don’t just expect an upgrade to be offered and then complain later...

Emailing in advance, I just do that for vacations with my wife. Typical work trips, I stay so often it’s no big deal.
kennycrudup and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:15 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Mister Nice

love to know the revenue requirement go 5 Star !

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Supposedly a 5 Star Platinum is an very special level above pretty much all other elite levels. My understanding was that Mr. Marriott himself, or now maybe Mr. Sorenson's approval was required before someone would receive 5 Star status. Basically, you had to be on Marriott's BOD or a close personal friend, etc. So maybe if you keep your head low they won't catch this. I'm guessing suite upgrades might be a tad bit more likely with this level.
Originally Posted by porkie
Congrats on this one, I've seen a 2-3 reports here on FT earlier where people claimed being bumped into 5-star. Can you share a bit more about your spending pattern and history? Do you have lifetime status or consistent high spending for multiple years in a row?
I had to reach out to my extended family in China to make sure I wasn't used as part of some "deal" that I don't know about... (which happens time to time - kids are just an extension of tools of their family)

Let's start with the most likely answer - it's an IT glitch and I lucked out. It seems the status needs to be renewed year after year (ie non-lifetime) so maybe after Jan 2020, it will go away. I am a dedicated SPG member for slightly more than a decade. 13 years of only SPG Plat so that pushes me to lifetime status. I only breach $ 20,000 per year on SPG hotels during an rare exceptionally travel intensive year - most times I don't make it to $ 20,000 per year. I will proudly claim that i was behind the idea of the Suite Night Awards. I was also part of a of dedicated group of SPG members that help design the new SPG AMEX card, and lobbied for the SPG Lifetime status program. I also write letters to Starwood to provide feedback on improving the program and how I feel of some of the aspects of the merged program and sometimes post long discussions / opinions on Flyertalk. I completely buy into the North American ideal that ordinary people can bring about changes and even do extraordinary things (because our society allows it). I don't personally know Chairman Bill Marriott or the CEO or the directors. So that is the strongest case that it's an IT glitch.

The second possibility is Marriott Intel figured out some of my relationship with extended family in China. I do know some work in public service (ahem ahem communist government) and shall we say makes decisions on hotel licensing related matter and health and safety of food and such. A year before this merger I do hear about the ahem.... lobbying efforts of hotel reps including Marriott and I told these extended uncles how much I am a loyal SPG member (and rarely stay at a Marriott). I called my dad to reach out to these extended uncles to see if they have a hand in this. If they did.... it is a "oh sh@#! moment" because its a trojan hourse and I will need to perform reciprocal favors like hosting his children on their visit on my dime (Westin Whistler is going to cost me an arm and leg - unless I accept the humility of Bank of Dad).... Alternatively, it is possible Marriott did this so I would call my extended family to initiate a positive conversation on behalf of Marriott - which is sort of working because I am calling them due to a positive surprise. This just gives too much credit on Marriott and their Intel.. so I put this scenario as possible but remote.

I will say this. A society without strong rule of law, business is relationships and personal relationships are sometimes mixed together in a stew of complexity, corruption and toxicity. In North America, we have rules, we don't need to take bribes or give bribes, we got it good.
porkie likes this.

Last edited by yeunganson; Aug 21, 2018 at 1:24 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:21 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
SORRY Big spenders at w20k annually? if I were Marriott I would increase it to at least 50k as it cost Marriott to hire ambassadors. I think a revenue based system would weed out all the 50 night Fairfield customers spending less than $100 per night
l
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
I had to reach out to my extended family in China to make sure I wasn't used as part of some "deal" that I don't know about... (which happens time to time - kids are just an extension of tools of their family)

Let's start with the most likely answer - it's an IT glitch and I lucked out. It seems the status needs to be renewed year after year (ie non-lifetime) so maybe after Jan 2020, it will go away. I am a dedicated SPG member for slightly more than a decade. 13 years of only SPG Plat so that pushes me to lifetime status. I only breach $ 20,000 per year on SPG hotels during an rare exceptionally travel intensive year - most times I don't make it to $ 20,000 per year. I will proudly claim that i was behind the idea of the Suite Night Awards. I was also part of a of dedicated group of SPG members that help design the new SPG AMEX card, and lobbied for the SPG Lifetime status program. I also write letters to Starwood to provide feedback on improving the program and how I feel of some of the aspects of the merged program and sometimes post long discussions / opinions on Flyertalk. I completely buy into the North American ideal that ordinary people can bring about changes and even do extraordinary things (because our society allows it). I don't personally know Chairman Bill Marriott or the CEO or the directors. So that is the strongest case that it's an IT glitch.

The second possibility is Marriott Intel figured out some of my relationship with extended family in China. I do know some work in public service (ahem ahem communist government) and shall we say makes decisions on hotel licensing related matter and health and safety of food and such. A year before this merger I do hear about the ahem.... lobbying efforts of hotel reps including Marriott and I told these extended uncles how much I am a loyal SPG member (and rarely stay at a Marriott). I called my dad to reach out to these extended uncles to see if they have a hand in this. If they did.... it is a "oh sh@#! moment" because its a trojan hourse and I will need to perform reciprocal favors like hosting his children on their visit on my dime (Westin Whistler is going to cost me an arm and leg - unless I accept the humility of Bank of Dad).... Alternatively, it is possible Marriott did this so I would call my extended family to initiate a positive conversation on behalf of Marriott - which is sort of working because I am calling them due to a positive surprise. This just gives too much credit on Marriott and their Intel.. so I put this scenario as possible but remote.

I will say this. A society without strong rule of law, business is relationships and personal relationships are sometimes mixed together in a stew of complexity, corruption and toxicity. In North America, we have rules, we don't need to take bribes or give bribes, we got it good.
Based on this I lean to believing that it's not a mistake and it has to be related to either your input into developing SPG earlier (it's possible that they had a list of such people that they couldn't reward in SPG as there never was a higher, invitation-only tier there) or (probably more likely) it's somehow related to your family situation.

Your spending and loyalty probably wouldn't be a reason on it's own as there is quite large number of members that spend significantly more on FT and none of them have reported anything like this.

Either way, unless you are really curious I'd recommend keeping it quiet (just in case it really is an IT glitch) and enjoying the benefits, I spoke to club staff at the RC HK a while ago about this tier and was told that once 5-star member makes a reservation, GM of property is personally notified about it and this person is treated as VVIP being eligible for upgrades to their signature suites etc.

Congratulations and I'm definitely looking forward to reading your trip reports
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

I had this on my account as well for a short duration prior to it's disappearance.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I had this on my account as well for a short duration prior to it's disappearance.
Curious whether anyone else stays as an unexpected 5 Star. There seems to have been some glitches on Ambassadors as well, for people who didn't qualify and the status is getting updated.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
An update for those biting at every snippet and suggestion coming down the pike:

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...omment-3992792

It seems that Marriott does intend for its suite upgrade benefit to be guaranteed based on availability--exactly like happened with SPG. It just needs to clarify that in writing.

I have confidence that Marriott does intend for the new room/suite upgrade policy to mimic that of SPG. It's just fumbled the communication about that in the interim. What actually matters is the execution in practice when the time comes.

Marriott is a big beast, and its right hand and left hand don't always seem to know what each other is doing or saying. So its communications sometimes reflect a bit of confusion. Go figure with a portfolio and undertaking as massive as this!

So everyone can relax and take a breath. Give Marriott a little time to get its "stuff" together, already.
It's always Marriotts "intent" to provide the very best unfortunately it's up to the discretion of each individual property and the person checking you in who probably has no clue as to what the benefits are. There needs to be a central system tied to the reservation system that does the upgrades and takes the mystery out of checking in. Can't be hard to do.
smgainey likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.