Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
It's the Marriott Southfield outside Detroit. With 223 rooms and only 3 suites. I doubt the suites are particularly impressive.

All suites are not made equal. All suite upgrades are not made equal, either.

There is a significant difference between a suite upgrade at a suburban Marriott or Sheraton or small town Courtyard/Four Points...and a major city/resort Marriott, Renaissance, Westin, Le Meridien, etc. And there's an even more significant difference between those and a suite at a W, let alone a Luxury Collection or St Regis hotel (or Ritz-Carlton).

I've been upgraded to suites at many brands like Four Points, Sheraton, Marriott, Renaissance, Le Meridien, Westin, Hyatt, etc. They aren't even close to being as nice or impressive as suites at W, St. Regis, and the like.

Therein lies some of the non sequitur challenges of 1:1 comparisons.
Yes I understand this. There's no need to keep repeating it or to be so condescending. I fully understand that hotels come in different categories and that concepts such as service/upgrades/suites/etc. have somewhat different meanings at different types of properties, but I also appreciate when a not so impressive hotel in a more minor location gives me their best suite and also a small surprise gift.

I've had above and beyond upgrades at many top hotels, including the Plaza (NYC), PH Vendome (Paris), PH Buenos Aires, Copacabana Palace Rio, Imperial Tokyo, GH Rio, Chateau Lake Louise--two floors, Hotel des Indes, Hotel d'Europe (Amsterdam)--two floors and an amazing terrace, the place in Versailles that once was a Westin with the two star Michelin restaurant--two floors, Grand Hotel Stockholm, Manchester Hyatt (San Diego), Hotel de Crillon (Paris, with sauna, before renovation), PdG Paris (to the same suite type you were given), Raffles Singapore, Peninsula Hong Kong, W Hong Kong, RC Hong Kong, Canyon Suites (LC at the Phoenician Scottsdale), Westin at Napa, Ivy (LC Minneapolis), HR Minneapolis (Presidential Suite with a library), Westin Edina Galleria (club level one bedroom suite with an amazing bathtub that filled from the ceiling), LRM Bangkok, LRM Shanghai, LM Boston/Cambridge, LM Minneapolis, LM Barcelona, Laguna Bali (LC and before Bali had so many other Starwoods), Palace Hotel Lausanne, StR Singapore, StR Atlanta Buckhead, Ciragen (spelling?) Palace Istanbul, Windsor Court New Orleans, Observatory Hotel Sydney, a Hilton in Evanston to a huge and very tasteful Asian inspired Presidential suite, some R&C properties in rural France/Switzerland/Germany/Austria, among others I can't recall at the moment. In fact, just last week I was upgraded to the Presidential Suite (with seating for 27, including two dining tables, and a separate study) at (Hyatt) Olive 8 in Seattle, although this week's best upgrade so far was at an excellent suburban Sheraton that treats me extremely well and which I appreciated, especially as a preupgrade about a month in advance to a large and pleasant one bedroom suite, even if you would look down on it.

BTW, I have only once in my life stayed in a Courtyard and this was booked by my business host (who was paying) as the best and most convenient hotel in a smaller town. Never yet in a Fairfield Inn, Moxy, and some of the other legacy MR brands you despise, although I have sometimes stayed in some pretty horrid places on business trips for various reasons. Unfortunately, I can't always control the choice of hotel or location.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 23, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:53 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@MSPeconomist I am most sorry and do not in any way intend to condescend. The discussion had centered only on percentage of suite upgrades. I simply was pointing out that percentage of upgrades doesn’t tell the whole story and that quality of suite upgrades also must be considered as part of the equation, I think. I don’t believe I’d made that point here before, actually.
fdem likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 24, 2018 at 1:01 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:19 am

The percentage of suite upgrades must be taken in context. It’s the upgrade percentage when standard suites are available that is relevant to me . If I am getting suites 50% of the time when standard suites are available on 100 % of my stays then that doesn’t equate to success in my humble opinion. If I am getting a suite upgrade 50% of the time because standard suites are only available on 50% of my stays then that’s a whole different story . The property discretion aspect of the new policy leaves a lot of wiggle room .
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
10 stays .... 90% upgraded 0% suite upgrade as plt 50 and recently 75

the one failed to upgrade me is my current hotel Westin Mina Seyahi, FD claimed deluxe seaview is upgraded room although it was actually my original booking

cant be bothered to argue as I will be pretty much away from the room for most of the time anyway.

Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
......but you didn't get a suite?
Nope.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
looks like 223 rooms and only 3 suites. Just hard to believe that they sold those three suites ... or that there were three others at the PPE+A
The hotel was busy, but I doubt there was another platinum premier or platinum premier ambassador here if only because there are so many better Marriott or legacy SPG full-service properties within a drive of 10 or 15 minutes (Marriott Livonia, The Baronette Renaissance Novi, Sheraton Novi, Westin Southfield, Marriott Troy). Expanding the radius to say 20 minutes and light to no traffic, there are even more properties to choose over the Marriott Southfield (The Henry, Autograph Collection in Dearborn, Dearborn Inn Marriott, Marriott Auburn Hills, Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, Marriott Detroit Metro Airport, Delta by Marriott Detroit Metro Airport, Westin Detroit, Marriott Detroit Renaissance Center).

At the very minimum, I should have received a room on the top floor.

It's the Marriott Southfield outside Detroit. With 223 rooms and only 3 suites. I doubt the suites are particularly impressive.

All suites are not made equal. All suite upgrades are not made equal, either.

There is a significant difference between a suite upgrade at a suburban Marriott or Sheraton or small town Courtyard/Four Points...and a major city/resort Marriott, Renaissance, Westin, Le Meridien, etc. And there's an even more significant difference between those and a suite at a W, let alone a Luxury Collection or St Regis hotel (or Ritz-Carlton).

I've been upgraded to suites at many brands like Four Points, Sheraton, Marriott, Renaissance, Le Meridien, Westin, Hyatt, etc. They aren't even close to being as nice or impressive as suites at W, St. Regis, and the like.

Therein lies some of the non sequitur challenges of 1:1 comparisons.
I agree that a suite at a generic Marriott in the suburbs or a corporate office park probably isn't impressive. But it's the principle. The Marriott Southfield is identical in design to the Marriott Livonia, which is being renovated later this year. The suites at the Livonia property are mostly for hospitality receptions, but are spacious. I would imagine the suites at the Marriott Southfield are identical -- both properties have the exact same building floor plan and exterior architecture -- but renovated.
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Aug 24, 2018 at 4:46 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by frenchft

It’s not guys from Utah that can imagine the concept of W or innovate as Starwood did.
It think Frits and the others on the Starwood management team had great vision and creativity. They did some incredible things.

As for the Utah comment ...

1. The Marriott family doesn't run the business anymore. That being said, the concepts are in place and we'd also be much happier if the Marriott family was running the business now to enforce brand standards.
2. Off topic but you ought to read up on SIlconSlopes ...tons of innovation, creativity, going on.

@MSPeconomist I am most sorry and do not in any way intend to condescend. The discussion had centered only on percentage of suite upgrades. I simply was pointing out that percentage of upgrades doesn’t tell the whole story and that quality of suite upgrades also must be considered as part of the equation, I think. I don’t believe I’d made that point here before, actually.
Of course suites in places like Osaka, Paris, and San Francisco are nicer than those at a Courtyard in New Mexico or Marriott in suburban Detroit. Those hotels also have more suites with the St.R in SF having 20 percent suites so its far easier to get an upgrade. As such, I agree the percentage doesn't tell the whole story and I certainly understand why Bill, the notional sales rep who takes visits two customers a month was amazed at the upgrades he got as an SPG plat when he visited San Francisco when he had only stayed 25 nights a year. (I know that's not you )

But the suite upgrade benefit isn't limited to cities like London and Hong Kong or to the top tier brands. It applies for the whole program and at cities everywhere. Under the old Marriott program. I could reliably count on getting suite upgrades when they were available whether I was in LaCrosse or London, even though the one in London would be nicer and that my upgrade rates in London are 100 percent but less in LaCrosse.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

I agree that a suite at a generic Marriott in the suburbs or a corporate office park probably isn't impressive. But it's the principle. The Marriott Southfield is identical in design to the Marriott Livonia, which is being renovated later this year. The suites at the Livonia property are mostly for hospitality receptions, but are spacious. I would imagine the suites at the Marriott Southfield are identical -- both properties have the exact same building floor plan and exterior architecture -- but renovated.
Agreed. The suites at the Southfield Marriott certainly aren't as nice as BHR's Metropolitan Suite at the SF StR but they are a program benefit and should have been offered. That being said, some of these properties have only hospitality suites with Murphy beds that are less comfortable than the brand standard bed so its a trade off.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Agreed. The suites at the Southfield Marriott certainly aren't as nice as BHR's Metropolitan Suite at the SF StR but they are a program benefit and should have been offered. That being said, some of these properties have only hospitality suites with Murphy beds that are less comfortable than the brand standard bed so its a trade off.
What's the issue - the property can simply move in a good bed and optimize the room setup for overnight guests?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pWei
What's the issue - the property can simply move in a good bed and optimize the room setup for overnight guests?
I haven't seen properties having suites with Murphy beds for a couple years, but it was certainly the case (the Washington Marriott in Georgetown being an example) before the chain-wide renovations over the past couple of years.

The Marriott Livonia suites aren't that great, but they have a separate bedroom with a real bed. I imagine the Marriott Southfield is the same since the building design is identical and I'm pretty certain it is the same owner and third-party management company.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:02 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by supatight80
Well you cant compare your upgrade chances at SPG properties as you are not the top most tier. Of course the SPG Plat50/75/100 would have better chances than your linked SPG Plat status. Likewise, prior to merge i wouldn't expect being upgraded to suites at legacy MR properties as there are legacy MR tiers higher than my linked status.

But as you being a premerger PPE (the invitation one), quite surprised that one would consider a 40% upgrade success rate, even at a 60% success rate a "success"

BTW, I have stayed at GB Athens numerous times including peak season, and that is one property that never fails giving out suite upgrades to Plats. In fact, if base rooms and non suite room are almost sold out there, you betcha they will upgrade you to Suites and not just select standard suites. Hence the 4.8/5 stars review from SPG Plats if im not mistaken.
Thanks for that info- heading there in October
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:08 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Funny ... I thought we had agreed that it was abundantly clear that unless one was a repeat guest or had their ambassador contact the legacy SPG property, they did not know the differences between status so that can't be a factor.

And I get that some people stay at more expensive hotels than others. I presume, however, that we can agree the rules on suite upgrades should be followed regardless of whether it is the finest SPG hotel in the program or the lowliest Moxy. Right?
SPG has always sent a daily list to every hotel with suggested upgrade order. They definitely considered status.

My upgrade success rate has been 90% plus.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by damon88

SPG has always sent a daily list to every hotel with suggested upgrade order. They definitely considered status.

same here. Not being upgrade to a suite was an exception with spg.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by damon88

Originally Posted by frenchft

same here. Not being upgrade to a suite was an exception with spg.
That's definitely not been my experience with SPG this year (2 suites in 25 nights). Also, in discussing with folks at least two different properties, they made clear that Lightspeed doesn't distinguish between different levels of plats or identify that someone has an ambassador. And, when checking into the Grande Bretagne, the FD specifically referenced my ambassador as having called the property but still gave me the lowest level room in the hotel. It was very busy but I presume some people were upgraded ... particularly since there were at last two groups of cruise ship passengers

That being said, perhaps your list explains it ... and hopefully now that I'm a PPE+A, I'll see the upgrade rates you have seen..
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:31 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Reading the new tc’s and based on my recent experience of being denied an upgrade on an award night solely because it was an award night, it reads to me that standard Award nights are not eligible for upgrades by any level of Platinum level guests unless you use extra points for a upgrade prestay or use SNA. No based on availability upgrades for free on award stays at checkin.

We we need to hear of more first hand experience from Aug 19th onwards on pure standard award point stays and upgrades as any levels of Platinum.

This would be a gigantic change compared to previous SPG Platinum upgrades on award stays. Reading another post about a Portland Luxury Collection Hotel not allowing a Platinum member lounge access post Aug 18th because under Marriotts new tc’s LC hotels don’t provide club lounge access unless you are on the club floor.

It says Elite Benefits only apply on qualifying rates. An award point redemption is not a qualifying rate.

4.1.c. Benefits of Elite membership apply to stays on Qualifying Rates (as described in Section 2.1.e. and are reserved for Members only and apply solely to the one guest room in which the Elite Member stays. Only one Member per guest room can earn Points/Miles and receive benefits as described in Section 2.1.d.(iv). In order for an Elite Member to be eligible to receive Elite benefits during his/her stay, the Elite Member must provide his/her Loyalty Program Membership Number when making a reservation.

Elite Members will receive Elite membership benefits including, without limitation: bonus Points, priority late checkout and room upgrades. Benefits vary by Elite membership tier. More information can be found in section 4.3.

2.1.e. Qualifying Rates. A “Qualifying Rate” is the rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which qualifies to earn Points or Miles unless the Member stays under a “Non-Qualifying Rate,” as defined in Section 2.1.f. Unless otherwise specifically stated, Members will receive their membership tier benefits during stays on Qualifying Rates.

3.3 Upgrade Awards

When using Points for an Award Redemption Stay, Members may have to redeem additional Points to reserve an upgraded room such as an ocean view room or a suite. This “Upgrade Award” may be required for certain room types in addition to a Free Night Award in a standard room.

3.3.a. Upgrade Awards may only be used when redeeming Points for a stay at a Participating Property. There are two types of Upgrade Awards:

i. Point Upgrade Awards. A “Point Upgrade Award” is issued when Points are redeemed to upgrade a Free Night Award in a standard room and is subject to availability at Participating Properties. Please refer to the details for the selected Participating Property at which you are making a reservation.

ii. Paid Upgrade Awards. At select Participating Properties, Members may pay for an upgrade to a Free Night Award reservation on a cost per night basis. The price for “Paid Upgrade Awards” varies by Participating Property and will be charged to the folio during the Member’s stay. Additional Points are not required with Paid Upgrade Awards.

Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bigshaker
Reading the new tc’s and based on my recent experience of being denied an upgrade on an award night solely because it was an award night, it reads to me that standard Award nights are not eligible for upgrades by any level of Platinum level guests unless you use extra points for a upgrade prestay or use SNA. No based on availability upgrades for free on award stays at checkin.

We we need to hear of more first hand experience from Aug 19th onwards on pure standard award point stays and upgrades as any levels of Platinum.

This would be a gigantic change compared to previous SPG Platinum upgrades on award stays. Reading another post about a Portland Luxury Collection Hotel not allowing a Platinum member lounge access post Aug 18th because under Marriotts new tc’s LC hotels don’t provide club lounge access unless you are on the club floor.

It says Elite Benefits only apply on qualifying rates. An award point redemption is not a qualifying rate.

4.1.c. Benefits of Elite membership apply to stays on Qualifying Rates (as described in Section 2.1.e. and are reserved for Members only and apply solely to the one guest room in which the Elite Member stays. Only one Member per guest room can earn Points/Miles and receive benefits as described in Section 2.1.d.(iv). In order for an Elite Member to be eligible to receive Elite benefits during his/her stay, the Elite Member must provide his/her Loyalty Program Membership Number when making a reservation.

Elite Members will receive Elite membership benefits including, without limitation: bonus Points, priority late checkout and room upgrades. Benefits vary by Elite membership tier. More information can be found in section 4.3.

2.1.e. Qualifying Rates. A “Qualifying Rate” is the rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which qualifies to earn Points or Miles unless the Member stays under a “Non-Qualifying Rate,” as defined in Section 2.1.f. Unless otherwise specifically stated, Members will receive their membership tier benefits during stays on Qualifying Rates.

3.3 Upgrade Awards

When using Points for an Award Redemption Stay, Members may have to redeem additional Points to reserve an upgraded room such as an ocean view room or a suite. This “Upgrade Award” may be required for certain room types in addition to a Free Night Award in a standard room.

3.3.a. Upgrade Awards may only be used when redeeming Points for a stay at a Participating Property. There are two types of Upgrade Awards:

i. Point Upgrade Awards. A “Point Upgrade Award” is issued when Points are redeemed to upgrade a Free Night Award in a standard room and is subject to availability at Participating Properties. Please refer to the details for the selected Participating Property at which you are making a reservation.

ii. Paid Upgrade Awards. At select Participating Properties, Members may pay for an upgrade to a Free Night Award reservation on a cost per night basis. The price for “Paid Upgrade Awards” varies by Participating Property and will be charged to the folio during the Member’s stay. Additional Points are not required with Paid Upgrade Awards.

Not sure why you are trying to fan the flames...First, award stays are qualifying rates... Second, it says "upgrade rewards" may require not will require. As a side note this wouldn't just be a change to SPG this would be a change to legacy MR as well. How properties prioritize upgrades is by in large determined by them. Sure, would it be nice to have something like AA where your spend is the determinate and nothing else matters? Maybe, except I really don't care about upgrades unless I'm on vacation. For work just give me a quiet room...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:18 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by davidsc111
Not sure why you are trying to fan the flames...First, award stays are qualifying rates... Second, it says "upgrade rewards" may require not will require. As a side note this wouldn't just be a change to SPG this would be a change to legacy MR as well. How properties prioritize upgrades is by in large determined by them. Sure, would it be nice to have something like AA where your spend is the determinate and nothing else matters? Maybe, except I really don't care about upgrades unless I'm on vacation. For work just give me a quiet room...
I’m not fanning the flames, I was denied a suite upgrade because I was on an award stay, this week, after Aug 18th at a Marriott Courtyard of all places.

In the new tc an award stay is not a qualifying rate it’s only a qualifying stay night. Obviously from both programs it seems like this was never an issue before August 18th to get an upgrade as a Platinum on an award stay but it also wasn’t even an issue for a SPG Platinum to get club lounge access at any SPG hotel if they weren’t staying on the club floor.

It says Elite Benefits only apply on a qualifying rate.
I too believe an award night is a qualifying rate but that is not what the tc say.
4.1.c. Benefits of Elite membership apply to stays on Qualifying Rates (as described in Section 2.1.e.

It doesn’t say Elite Benefits apply on a qualifying stay.

Per my stay being refused an upgrade and another poster at a Luxury Collection being refused club lounge access because of the new TCs I am very worried. The time to find out for certain is not once you get to a property on vacation.

I agree with you fully, an award stay is usually the most important stay ie vacation with family where all your hard earned status should be getting you the upgrade.

If the hotels start denying Platinums upgrades on award stays the line will have been crossed.

2.1.d. Qualifying Stay. A “Stay" or “Qualifying Stay” means all consecutive nights a Member registers for, and personally pays and stays at any Participating Property, for which the room is billed to the Member.

i. A “Stay” is a stay of one or more consecutive nights at the same Participating Property by a Member who: (A) provides his/her Membership Number at the time of reservation or at check-in; (B) pays a Qualifying Rate or redeems a Points redemption Award or a promotional Award for the stay; and (C) stays in one of the reserved guest rooms. If a Member checks out of a guest room and then checks back in to a guest room at the same Participating Property on the same day, it will count as a single stay for purposes of calculating Stays. A Member may only earn Points for up to three (3) guest rooms during any Stay if he/she stays in one of the reserved guest rooms and pays a Qualifying Rate or redeems a Points redemption Award or a promotional Award for all of the guest rooms.

ii. A “Qualifying Stay” is a credit pursuant to these Program Rules that counts toward earning Elite Night Credit. Members will only earn credit for each Qualifying Night which is part of a Qualifying Stay for the guest room the Member personally pays for and stays in, and not for any additional guest rooms.

iii. Members cannot earn or receive benefits at multiple Participating Properties for the same stay date(s).

iv. Only one Member per guest room can earn Points/Miles and receive benefits. If there is more than one Member staying in the same guest room, the Members must decide upon check-in whose Membership Number will be applied to the guest room provided it is the same Member who will be paying the bill.

Last edited by Bigshaker; Aug 27, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.