Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Just thinking of strategies that could "lock in" a desirable suite upgrade that shows up in your app.

If you're checking in on the app, it shows a good suite upgrade, and it indicates the availability of a mobile key - and you select it - does that mean you have confirmed the suite? And if that's the case but you really want a normal key, couldn't just request one on arrival? Also how long from app check-in does it usually take until the mobile key is ready?
If the property wants to downgrade you, they will just do it.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
If the property wants to downgrade you, they will just do it.
Forgive the technical ignorance....

If you have been issued a mobile key, then have you effectively taken occupancy of your room? Presumably the mobile key wouldn't be effective until the previous occupant has left, but in the case of a suite it could very well have been vacant the night before. Can the FD clerk tell when you've used the mobile key for the first time? It's been said several times in this thread that you aren't really upgraded until you have your key in hand. This could be the electronic equivalent of the hotel clerk heading you off on the way to your suite after checking in, taking your physical key from you, and handing you a key to a regular room. Or, stated differently (not to get pedantic), when is the property's last chance to downgrade you?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Forgive the technical ignorance....

If you have been issued a mobile key, then have you effectively taken occupancy of your room? Presumably the mobile key wouldn't be effective until the previous occupant has left, but in the case of a suite it could very well have been vacant the night before. Can the FD clerk tell when you've used the mobile key for the first time? It's been said several times in this thread that you aren't really upgraded until you have your key in hand. This could be the electronic equivalent of the hotel clerk heading you off on the way to your suite after checking in, taking your physical key from you, and handing you a key to a regular room. Or, stated differently (not to get pedantic), when is the property's last chance to downgrade you?
If you have a mobile key, the previous occupant's key no longer works and housekeeping has turned over the room.

The property is very unlikely to downgrade you at that point because you had access to the room (they don't know if you're on-site or still on a plane) and giving it to someone else means they'd have to get it checked by housekeeping (they wouldn't know if you had dirtied it without checking access logs, so probably easier to send housekeeping) and change keys... possible but unlikely.

I would say, they can downgrade you from a complimentary upgrade without needing to offer compensation up to the point you've entered the room. Asking you to change rooms after you step foot inside would impede the hotel night you booked. But practically speaking, they almost will never downgrade you from the point you already have a (mobile or physical) key.
tarheelnj likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
The property is very unlikely to downgrade you at that point because you had access to the room (they don't know if you're on-site or still on a plane)
That is incorrect. They absolutely know whether you've accessed the room yet. Until you use the key to open the door, you are not really checked-in. If you never open the door, you will be marked as a no-show and will earn nothing. That's why you can't mattress run remote; you must physically access the room. Correspondingly, until you've accessed the room, you are absolutely subject to a potential downgrade. Is it a low thing for a property to do? Yes. Can it be done? Yes.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
In China, everybody has Platinum status. Everybody. There are too many shortcuts to obtain it. During 4 different JWs/Renaissances in Mainland China told me they average >25% of guests with Platinum status (we're talking 80+ Plat guests per night). This is before counting Titanium or Ambassador guests. How many Bonvoy hotels have that many suites, let alone can afford the lost revenue to upgrade as many as they physically can? It also leads to many practical issues using the lounge.

I'm the last person to defend hotels that skimp on upgrades, but I think it's understandable that China is a hard market to get a suite as a Platinum. A lot of locals travel as families and book suites because they need all the space, further reducing potential upgrades.

A manager at a Chinese JW told me they train their staff as follows: try to give titanium and ambassador entry level suite, if not available, try the better suite, if not available, then deluxe room; for platinums, try to give them deluxe room, but if they push for suite, try to claim full house, then if they push to manager then try to find entry level suite only.

If you are Plat, the takeaway IMO is to use your SNAs if you need a suite in China. Even Ambassador is not guaranteed (without pre-arranged upgrade) because the hotel may run out of suites if Plats escalate for all the suites before the time you check-in.

How was the situation in USA? I know that for Hilton, almost everyone got a diamond.

In developing market, such as south east Asia, it was much easier to get a suite and receive quality elite recognize.

I 'm lucky I don't live and travel in mainland china, too many P overwhelming the hotels.

And how come is that during SPG era , it was much easier to get an suite? But it was not difficult to get an Plat in SPG and much easier to maintain the status with 25s and a max of 3 stay per night.

Last edited by Vince Chan; Jun 9, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
And how come is that during SPG era , it was much easier to get an suite? But it was not difficult to get an Plat in SPG and much easier to maintain the status with 25s and a max of 3 stay per night.
Could it be that, despite unsubstantiated claims otherwise (regarding the alleged affluence of SPG members), that Marriott customers are more likely to pay for suites?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
SPG T&Cs - suites written as part of Platinum benefits (plus, higher suite numbers as a percentage of rooms in hotels)
Marriott T&Cs - suite upgrade language NOT a defined Platinum benefit (plus, lower suite % among all rooms)

Ergo, ease of getting a suite upgrade SPG >>> Marriott

It's just not that complicated @:-)
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
It could also be that even with more hotels, there is a higher % of Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador members to share those suites with. And don't forget that lot of FS Marriott and even Rens don't have many suites. So maybe most of the legacy SPG members are still staying at Starwood hotels just as before, but now there are more legacy Marriott Rewards members staying there now as well.

Or it could just be that hotel managers know that Marriott isn't as dogmatic on holding hotels to the suite upgrade rules as Starwood used to be.
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
It could also be that even with more hotels, there is a higher % of Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador members to share those suites with.
Yes, it is the inevitable consequence of a program merger that upgrade benefits become more scarce. That's what happens with airline mergers, too. You get more elites not just because the two groups are added together but because the increased footprint means that more customers concentrate business in the merged program and thus reach higher status. And the more desirable properties (or, for an airline, routes) see a disproportionate uptick in demand. Then you get a psychological fear factor - as the upgrades become less certain, more people pay up for the premium product in advance, further reducing the upgrade pool.
eyeball1 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Elite Benefits and Upgrades

I have a few assumptions that I would like some help with.
One, elite benefits apply to award redemptions
Two, upgrades subject to availability means that if the upgraded room is available for cash, its available as an upgrade for elite members
Three, there is not a limit on days an upgrade can be given

I am a LTT Elite and have just checked into a residence for 9 nights on a mix of points and Chase free night certificates
The property only has two types of rooms Queen Suites and "Duplex Penthouses"

I had Bonvoy chatted with the hotel prior to arriving asking for an upgrade to the Duplex Penthouse
They came back to me and said the Duplex Penthouse is not available for the duration of our stay.
Not true, I had checked prior to chatting and the duplex suite was and still is available while I'm posting

I check in and ask again, no upgrade, the operational manager came out and seemed to indicate that if we were staying for a few nights the upgrade would be given but for our extended stay they could not.

So I'm going to the experts here with my assumptions that if an upgraded room is available for cash its available for an elite upgrade, that it does not matter that the stay is on points, and that the duration of the stay does not matter.
I further assume that management wants to hold the Duplex Penthouses for cash travelers , which I totally get

I am often wrong in my assumptions, what does the collective think?
Thanks.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rebadc
One, elite benefits apply to award redemptions
Two, upgrades subject to availability means that if the upgraded room is available for cash, its available as an upgrade for elite members
Three, there is not a limit on days an upgrade can be given
  1. Yes.
  2. No. Not all suites are available for upgrades.
  3. Technically correct, but not in practice. A single room/suite must be available for the duration of the stay, so longer stays have a much lower likelihood of success due to room allocations.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
You're wrong in thinking that you can get informed opinions without naming the property. So many questions...how many "duplex penthouses" are there?.... Is this room category actually in the upgrade pool?......

Wrong, too, in assuming that online availability is accurate. This topic has been beaten to death here.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
  1. Yes.
  2. No. Not all suites are available for upgrades.
  3. Technically correct, but not in practice. A single room/suite must be available for the duration of the stay, so longer stays have a much lower likelihood of success due to room allocations.
Property has 2 types of rooms queen suits and duplex penthouses.
The operations manager coming out and saying that if we were only staying a few nights the upgrade would be given tells me that upgrades are given to elites

and yes the duplex penthouses are available for the duration of our stay.

I believe it is a local decision to try to sell the more expensive rooms rather than give upgrades if you are staying more than "X" number of nights
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I
love
Upgrades

But I also view upgrades as a privilege not a right. If i get a great upgrade I am really appreciative and certainly not expectant of said upgrade

i also figure if I want a particular room type and it really matters, I pay for said room

sounds like you are expecting the best room in the hotel. If you getting the room means you are now bent out of shape perhaps you pay for the room next time. If you treat upgrades as a bonus and not something to expect I promise you’ll be a lot happier when you travel

fyi I’m titianium
DJ_Iceman and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
You're wrong in thinking that you can get informed opinions without naming the property. So many questions...how many "duplex penthouses" are there?.... Is this room category actually in the upgrade pool?......

Wrong, too, in assuming that online availability is accurate. This topic has been beaten to death here.
I don't know how many duplex penthouses are at this property
I can phantom book at least 3 of these penthouse suites

So that's at least 3 of these rooms available for 9 consecutive nights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.