Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The T&C now are not necessarily the final T&C. There is a website update going on that might take a day or two. There will be further updates to the T&C as already publicly and previously noted. It’s a big merger.

We need to stop seeing conspiracies and freaking out while this loyalty program merger process unfolds. It’s unnecessary and unproductive. Let the process unfold and then see where everything is, and everyone may realize their paranoia was unfounded.

Marriott already has indicated its formal intent for suite upgrades to be a guaranteed Plat benefit. Give them time to put it all in writing so that everyone can accept it and feel better.

Yikes. Take a breath and give it a week for Marriott to get it all together. It's all happening in August 2018 rather than the expected Jan 2019, so everyone still comes out knowing earlier in the end, regardless.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 18, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Which plat? I guess MR position is quite precarious in this matter.

As they now have 2 distinct plt level, plt (50) and plt p (75), prioritising both will make plt p unhappy, yet if MR give preferential treatment to plt p, those plts (especially ex SPG plt 50) will be the one who feel shortchanged.

Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:17 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Which plat? I guess MR position is quite precarious in this matter.

As they now have 2 distinct plt level, plt (50) and plt p (75), prioritising both will make plt p unhappy, yet if MR give preferential treatment to plt p, those plts (especially ex SPG plt 50) will be the one who feel shortchanged.
Not so precarious at all, I’d think. Like every other status program in history, those with more status will have more priority.

Since everyone coming from Marriott never had suite upgrade guaranteed before, it’s all a bonus for this new program. No precariousness whatsoever. The way some Plat Premiers talk about it, they had a bit of an edge of Plats before, and that’s likely to continue as a priority difference in the new program, too. Same old, same old.

Since everyone in SPG already is used to SPG25, SPG 50, SPG75, and SPG100 Plats, no one should be surprised to discover that one with more nights may have greater priority between Plat and Plat Premier. Nor should anyone be surprised that Ambassador guests get better priority even over Plat Premiers, despite what some wishing otherwise because they can’t qualify. Same old again.

No one gets shortchanged at all. Marriott elites suddenly get guaranteed benefits they never dreamed about before SPG. SPG elites get comparable guaranteed benefits and comparable priorities just as they did with SPG.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by cruisr

Oh, good. I am glad you have a new target for outrage besides Iberia.
No target. I'm more than ok. Iberia is another story... totally different story.
For your information I ended up to book hotel nights because I have never been able to redeem those miles for flights. After spending hours on the phone with useless agents I have booked hotel room.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Not so precarious at all, I’d think. Like every other status program in history, those with more status will have more priority.

Since everyone coming from Marriott never had suite upgrade guaranteed before, it’s all a bonus for this new program. No precariousness whatsoever. The way some Plat Premiers talk about it, they had a bit of an edge of Plats before, and that’s likely to continue as a priority difference in the new program, too. Same old, same old.

Since everyone in SPG already is used to SPG25, SPG 50, SPG75, and SPG100 Plats, no one should be surprised to discover that one with more nights may have greater priority between Plat and Plat Premier. Nor should anyone be surprised that Ambassador guests get better priority even over Plat Premiers, despite what some wishing otherwise because they can’t qualify. Same old again.

No one gets shortchanged at all. Marriott elites suddenly get guaranteed benefits they never dreamed about before SPG. SPG elites get comparable guaranteed benefits and comparable priorities just as they did with SPG.
Confirmed yesterday to me by a GM and zone Area :
Even more than before because they will have access to the details : 50/75/ambassador (before they had at check in only : platinum without details), they will re-inforce the order of priorities.
Sounds quite normal and logical.

Sounds that the new software will bring them more informations about the status without having to click here and there.

So as they told me the order will be, at least in those properties :
- Ambassador returning guest
- Ambassador
- Returning guest (with plat status)

the feeling I had during the talk is that they will really focus more on ambassador guests than before.
UKTraveller4Fun and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

The other feeling I had is that, SPG properties will continue to work the way they are used to work with upgrade and marriott the same. Like "the mindset with survive, at least in SPG properties"
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:07 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by frenchft

So as they told me the order will be, at least in those properties :
- Ambassador returning guest
- Ambassador
- Returning guest (with plat status)

the feeling I had during the talk is that they will really focus more on ambassador guests than before.
I can totally see that especially now that you need to spend $20,000 to get an ambassador - those are real big spenders... All I can hope for is the returning plat category that is right after Ambassadors.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by yeunganson
I can totally see that especially now that you need to spend $20,000 to get an ambassador - those are real big spenders... All I can hope for is the returning plat category that is right after Ambassadors.
no sure it's applicable everywhere, but In EMEA sounds that it's how they plan to proceed and the fact that the software display the detail of the status clearly on the reservation page will help as I understood.

My feeling is that SPG properties till SPG people are in place will continue with SPG mindset and Marriott properties will continue with the Marriot way of doing : inconsistent.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I was told that Spg hotels will switch to different system ... I believe from Lightspeed to Marsha (Marriott) at the end of the year.

They can differentiate plt tiers easier by then I believe.
frenchft likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
I was told that Spg hotels will switch to different system ... I believe from Lightspeed to Marsha (Marriott) at the end of the year.

They can differentiate plt tiers easier by then I believe.
100% same thing they told me, will be an improved version of Marsha as I understood.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:49 am

The terms and conditions are what they are BUT it will be actual execution at the property level that will matter . I suggest folks be vigilant about checking available rooms online just prior to check-in to confirm if standard suites are available and request upgrades if not pre allocated at check -in.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
The terms and conditions are what they are BUT it will be actual execution at the property level that will matter . I suggest folks be vigilant about checking available rooms online just prior to check-in to confirm if standard suites are available and request upgrades if not pre allocated at check -in.
agree, business as usual (at least with SPG properties).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
WOW! Just logged into this combined FT forum for the first time. It seems like so much "sky is falling" talk and even a "let's sue marriott" thread!! I took screenshots of our individual SPG / Marriott / Ritz accounts last week (prior to Aug 18 D Day) and plan to carefully check combined balances in a week (or even TWO weeks!!!). FWIW my SNA balance of 4 is correct. That being said I was careful NOT to have any open SNA requests at this time and also don't plan to use them till the next family getaway in Nov.

Not worth getting your knickers in a bunch today when the program combo process is still "in process". Off to enjoy brunch with the kiddoes. Love it when they make pancakes but it takes more time to clean up the kitchen afterwards - that's dad's supervisory job today
osotoc likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:01 pm

so on the marriott side, if suites are avail for duration of our stay at check in, plattinum should be upgraded, guaranteed? is that the idea?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:07 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by AdeAhmed
so on the marriott side, if suites are avail for duration of our stay at check in, plattinum should be upgraded, guaranteed? is that the idea?
As long as the suite is part of the standard suite pool--which usually is only the junior suite and lowest entry suite category, however that hotel defines it--yes. Within the brands that offer that to Plats (all legacy SPG brands except for Design, Aloft, Element, most legacy Marriott brands but not RC, etc.).

Please note that RC only upgrades Plat Premiers to suites, and yet never to Club access rooms/suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.