Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Westin is not a bad choice ... its pretty much the closest marwood hotel from airport. although SG is quite small.

Downtown MRT nearby, then if you want to try local food, can try Lau Pa Sat Food Court which is in a walking distance from Westin.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks to all for the helpful comments. To reply to a few...

Originally Posted by zakami
I would not recommend the Westin as it is in a business area that is rather sterile though will likely have a room open on a Saturday given its primary customers are business travelers. I would pick either of the Marriotts, St. Regis or Vagabond Club.
I've been through Singapore a few times, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something about the geography. The Westin seems to be walking distance from the Marina Bay area, along with the restaurants and attractions around there. Am I missing something here, overestimating the Marina Bay area, etc?

The fact that it's primarily for business customers is kind of an attraction for us if it means it might be less busy than other hotels on a Saturday.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I am not a fan of the Marriott. They also tend to be very stingy with UGs.

Just to throw it out there, I have stayed in the Airport Hotel and it is not bad. Twenty-one hours might be a little long, but not having to leave security is nice. The rooms are nice and large for an airport hotel, but there are no windows in the room. Security and immigration tend to be pretty quick in Singapore and nothing is too far away by car, but just thought you might want the information for consideration.
I've stayed at the airport hotels a number of times and find them fine. Plus we love the airport! But we figured that for almost a full day in Singapore we might want a nicer place and maybe wander around a bit.

Originally Posted by hhoope01
And just to throw on to staying at the airport, there is a movie theater and quite a few different things to do/see. Check out: 16 Secret Things To Do At Changi Airport That Will Make You Want To Visit Early - TheSmartLocal

One additional thought, are you a 75-night SPG Plat? Not sure what the benefits will be post "Merger" this weekend, but you might be able to make use of the Your24 benefit. It might allow you to check-in very early and since your stay is less than 24 hours, you don't have to worry about check-out time.
Thanks for that link. Kind of beauty-products heavy, but it still added to the list of things to do at the airport. My only complaint is that it underplays the marvelous Butterfly Garden.

Regrettably, not a 75-night SPG Plat.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I like the St. Regis. It's close to the Botanic Garden. But note the pool does not get much sun. I did not like the JW at all.

What about the W? More of a resort atmosphere.
I always appreciate your comments, so thanks for these. My hesitation about the St. R is that a number of posters have complained about the service there. (I know you disagree.) So in terms of checking in early and maybe other perks, I wonder whether it would be less suitable than other places.

I'd considered the W also, and might yet give it another look, but the draw of a lounge to hang out in at the Westin while waiting for our room is appealing.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
The Westin

[QUOTE=Thunderroad;30094339]My hesitation about the St. R is that a number of posters have complained about the service there. (I know you disagree.) (QUOTE)

Hey, if the St. Regis is good enough for President Kim Jung Ill and his entourage, it must be good enough for you??

Seriously, my vote is the Westin - hands down!
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by Antonio8069; Aug 17, 2018 at 11:38 am Reason: type
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
My hesitation about the St. R is that a number of posters have complained about the service there. (I know you disagree.) So in terms of checking in early and maybe other perks, I wonder whether it would be less suitable than other places.
I don't at all doubt some of the negative experiences reported (and one in particular was rather troubling).

My sense is that service can be a bit hit or miss anywhere in Singapore.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Hey, if the St. Regis is good enough for President Kim Jung Ill and his entourage, it must be good enough for you??

Seriously, my vote is the Westin - hands down!
I spent a weekend at the Westin Singapore back in January as an SPG Platinum and the experience was terrible. No upgrades and no recognition of status. The lounge was by no means relaxing, in fact standing room only and grossly understaffed. The Friday "cocktail hour" was a complete disaster. Within 30 minutes, there was absolutely no food available, completely depleted and replenishment was very slow to the point people were hoarding anything they could if they were lucky enough to be close in the crowd and then leaving half of it uneaten.

I chalk it up to poor management since they knew how many people had access and didn't account for it appropriately. If the lounge wasn't over capacity it surely was on the brink.

The property is nice & the location is good but don't expect much more. If a relaxing lounge is your deciding factor, perhaps the Westin isn't for you.

James
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I've stayed at the airport hotels a number of times and find them fine. Plus we love the airport! But we figured that for almost a full day in Singapore we might want a nicer place and maybe wander around a bit.
Agreed. 21 hours is probably too long for an airport hotel unless it is somewhere difficult to get in an out of, but thought it should be mentioned.

BTW, the Orchard Road Marriott assigned me a filthy room. The pics are posted to the property thread on the Marriott forum.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:31 pm

Was there in Feb. Stayed at the Westin for 5 nights and was upgraded to an exec room. Stayed in the JW for one weekend night and was upgraded to a large suite.

Only complaint with the JW is the pool. It is cold and doesn't get sun.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by LF72
Was there in Feb. Stayed at the Westin for 5 nights and was upgraded to an exec room. Stayed in the JW for one weekend night and was upgraded to a large suite.

Great upgrade at JW too here, always and I love the location (and miss Frenchft too... shopping paradise around).
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Why would you want to spend time in a hotel lounge if only there for 24 hours
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:59 pm
Suspended

We stayed at the JW Marriott in February. We really enjoyed it.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by shevboyz
I am not sure why people are dissing Westin location.
Granted they are in the CBD and not in the heart of shopping, but they have easy access from downtown mrt station.
It's a solid outdoor walk from the MRT station through a construction zone (for the new MRT line) and the hotel isn't really directly connected to anything but offices. As mentioned upthread the lounge is tiny and gets overcrowded, IME more so on weekends. A number of the closest food options close for the weekend.

I've been through Singapore a few times, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something about the geography. The Westin seems to be walking distance from the Marina Bay area, along with the restaurants and attractions around there. Am I missing something here, overestimating the Marina Bay area, etc?
It's walking distance, depending on your definition of walking distance. You can do much of it via link malls.

Originally Posted by LF72
The 18F pool or the 6F pool? The 6F pool is much better.

Anyway, +1 to the JW (South Beach) as an option. The lounge is huge, even when the hotel is busy IME there is always space. And the offerings are (IMO) superior to the Westin. The immediate surroundings are superior, and I suspect if you do mobile check-in advising of early arrival you're likely to get an early room. Airport access via MRT is equally annoying compared to the Westin, but at least the last bit is covered if it's raining.

Regardless of the hotel, you might email the property in advance and tell them you'd basically like a day room. The JW seems to staff housekeeping much later than the Westin (I missed evening turn down at the Westin twice, but never at the JW), so they might be more amenable. Plus it's a larger hotel.
LF72 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Westin is not a bad choice ... its pretty much the closest marwood hotel from airport. although SG is quite small.

Downtown MRT nearby, then if you want to try local food, can try Lau Pa Sat Food Court which is in a walking distance from Westin.
I like the Westin for the OP. The lounge and pool should work well for the purpose. BTW, I've walked to Chinatown from there as well as to the MBS area.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:08 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Recap of options
1. The area around Westin will be quiet over a weekend. Its close by Marina Bay Sands (MBS) / Gardens by the Bay. Be sure to drop by Lau Pa Sat for local delights.
2. Vicinity around JWM offers lots of shopping (Suntec, Bugis and City Hall) - MBS / Gardens are near by too.
3. Marriott at Orchard is another one you can consider if you are still looking out for shopping.
4. Sheraton / St. Regis / W, while they are 'nice' too, i feel they are a little out of the way if you are looking for key attractions.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
You can always rent the hotel rooms in the airport, they are small, comfortable and relatively inexpensive. From there you can take the train anywhere in the city or take the free city tour from the airport. Also, you can spend 3-4 hours doing stuff at the airport, which includes a pool.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
A belated and big thanks to everyone for the useful replies. We're leaning toward the JW Marriott because the larger lounge makes it sound like a nicer place to hang out if we can't get into a room early, plus the area around the JWM sounds better to wander around nearby if we feel up to it in the morning. But any more advice is always appreciated. (Under the merger, as a Platinum I'd still have access to lounges in either hotel, right?)

Last edited by Thunderroad; Oct 4, 2018 at 9:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.