Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:24 pm

It took me almost a month and multiple emails (most unanswered) and voice mails to get my legitimate meeting posted to the GPT. It was a very frustrating experience. Way too much pass the buck in my particular case with Person A saying it's Person B's responsibility to follow-up and Person B saying it's Person A's responsibility. It all worked out in the end, but good grief...
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork
It took me almost a month and multiple emails (most unanswered) and voice mails to get my legitimate meeting posted to the GPT. It was a very frustrating experience. Way too much pass the buck in my particular case with Person A saying it's Person B's responsibility to follow-up and Person B saying it's Person A's responsibility. It all worked out in the end, but good grief...
Name and shame the property.

So many properties are great to deal with when they're making the sale and even in the run-up to your event, but as soon as the event is over they never return your emails.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:03 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by margarita girl

It’s been posted several times on FT that Marriott has a 2 yr old cloud based system. So which is it?
I am not sure myself which one it is. Because it was also posted on flyertalk on the merger disaster thread by some other flyertalk member back in August with a link to an interview with the former starwood's Chief IT person so that talks about the smaller details of the merger. So my opinion is based on that interview and article.

If there is another article that talks about Marriott's state of the art system, I too would be interested in reading about it.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:19 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
With all due respect what a scammer. You're the reason why legit meeting and event planners like me are getting screwed by Marriott.
Originally Posted by Zorak
Assuming they showed up for the "meeting" how is it a scam? The no-shows are the scammers.

Regardless, if Marriott can't figure out how to distinguish between $50 and 6 figure spend annually, that's on Marriott, not the guests.
People booking "meetings" with ulterior motives and not there for hosting a meeting is the reason the terms and conditions get complex and changes to cut down on predatory behavior ended up negatively impacting the legit members. I truly believe had there not been anyone doing the $50 for 10 elite nights ($800 for legacy Marriott Plat status), the Rewarding Events would not have changed.

There are some on this thread just say only action and results within the terms & conditions matter and I disagree. I think intentions are just as important.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:12 pm
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
I had an actual meeting, but it was 6 weeks until it posted. Took 2 e-mails to the hotel. As long as it posted in 2019 I didn't care.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:39 pm

Properties can opt out of Rewarding Events?

Some background: Wife was trying to schedule a small meeting for her company at a hotel here in NYC. Created RFP (as directed by Marriott) through the Marriott website. She was contacted by the AC Hotel New York Downtown and they gave her their initial quote. After a couple of emails negotiating price, they came to a price of $250 for the meeting (it was only going to be a 1.5 hour meeting of a few people) where the sales rep responded this way (direct quotes from email):

"The room rental would be $250 plus tax and 24% service charge."

The rep then confirmed that this was a "rewarding event":

"This is indeed a rewarding event. Eligible members earn two points for every one US dollar (US$1). We would submit these points upon the conclusion of the meeting, and these points would go towards your room night profile. I can insert your Marriott rewards number into the contract to secure the points."

After finding out about the service charge (which my wife didn't foresee as she's never done this before) she asked them to come down to the $250 price altogether...as in, whatever the price needed to be where it would equal $250 with service charge and tax included (again, a very short and small meeting).

My wife then received this email from the rep:

"Thank you for your e-mail. We can offer the following: $185 Room Rental (2 Hours) plus Tax & Service Charge. This would equal $249.76, which is right within your budget.

As this is a heavy discount we are offering, we will unfortunately not be able to offer Marriott Rewards points for this meeting."

So my question to you FTers who are more knowledgable about these things...Can a property do this? Is everything, even whether you earn points from a transaction, at their discretion? From what I can tell, the rep is from a 3rd party company, not the AC itself. The rep also never seemed to acknowledge the 10 elite nights owed. I can't find the Rewarding Events t&c's anywhere, but does it explicitly state that the hotel has the final say on how points are rewarded through their program?

On a further note, what would it hurt the hotel to offer points on this event? Do hotels reimburse Marriott for the points they dole out, such as Marriott reimburses hotels for awards stays? I don't see the reps logic in not awarding my wife points for this event if they are willing to come down to the price. The rep could've easily said "I'm sorry, but with all the benefits we give with Rewarding Events (i.e. points and credits), $250 is the best we can do." That's understandable, but not this.

As a note, I called UK customer service immediately after (much better than their US bretheren) and the agent was extremely thoughtful, stated she'd never heard of this situation before, acknowledged the 10 elite nights, and was following up with the hotel last I heard. No follow-up email yet.

DOES ANYONE HAVE INSIGHT ON THIS? Can the hotel just decide just not give my wife Rewarding Events credit at their whim?

Any help appreciated.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by travelindandy
"[…]
As this is a heavy discount we are offering, we will unfortunately not be able to offer Marriott Rewards points for this meeting."
I think that's a reasonable offer in the negotiation. Very similar to how properties don't award points on Hotwire bookings.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:46 pm

So this is within their descretion? That's what I'm wondering. If you say yes, then okay, that makes sense.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
The 10 nights do not come from the property, they come from Marriott corporate. Most sales reps at properties don’t even know about the 10 nights. The Marriott points one receives comes from the hotel so I guess they can say the rate is not a point earning rate. It’s only 500 points. I presume you are concerned about the 10 nights, not the points.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
The 10 nights do not come from the property, they come from Marriott corporate. Most sales reps at properties don’t even know about the 10 nights. The Marriott points one receives comes from the hotel so I guess they can say the rate is not a point earning rate. It’s only 500 points. I presume you are concerned about the 10 nights, not the points.

Yes, the elite nights are the key. And because of that, if they aren't willing to give the points, then are they willing to process the event as a Rewarding Event at all? Because wouldn't that entail them giving her points, just so Marriott corporate can correctly give her the 10 elite nights?

Originally Posted by davie355
I think that's a reasonable offer in the negotiation. Very similar to how properties don't award points on Hotwire bookings.
I'd agree, but the stipulation vis a vis 3rd party bookings is a Marriott corporate policy, no? A hotel doesn't have the discretion to award points to a Travelocity booking but not a Hotwire?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a business deal between two companies. Your wife is simply the company representative and she was able to obtain a further discount after having worked out a deal and surrounding a very common fee (service charge). The points cost the property hard cash, so that is a cost. Something had to give.

Perfectly normal and we would expect any one of our meeting planners to seek a rate which did not include personal benefits if it would benefit the company and only accept the points, which are essentially a kickback, if they could not be negotiated for hard cash discounts. suspect that most companies would as well.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:34 pm

At least they mentioned it before the meeting took place. Now there is a choice between paying the service fee and getting credit for the rewarding event.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Yes, when I negotiate rates for people to stay long term, I usually get given 2 numbers - one for stays with all benefits and one for no benefits. Typically there is very very little difference in the rates.

If she went in and paid the "Rack" rate for a meeting room this would not be an issue - but when it comes to negotiation, everything is on the table so to speak
RogerD408, MSPeconomist and fmastr like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by travelindandy
My wife then received this email from the rep:

"Thank you for your e-mail. We can offer the following: $185 Room Rental (2 Hours) plus Tax & Service Charge. This would equal $249.76, which is right within your budget.

Your wife's first mistake was telling the sales representative her budget.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by coljung
Im going to Asia soon, i assume I could try finding a cheaper meeting event in something like Bangkok?

Or do I have better luck in NA negotiating with a random hotel?
I’d be interested in a DP on this as well - headed to MEX soon and wonder if I could do the same there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.