Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:36 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Game the system... by spending 20k+?
I wasn't thinking of the 100 night requirement as well. With that as a consideration and the fact events cap at 10 nights a year, I think event spend should count on your Marriott account.

If I am making up the other nights with $100 a night rooms, so what? Marriott still got a set amount of spend from me.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Handcake
I wasn't thinking of the 100 night requirement as well. With that as a consideration and the fact events cap at 10 nights a year, I think event spend should count on your Marriott account.

If I am making up the other nights with $100 a night rooms, so what? Marriott still got a set amount of spend from me.

I would think if you are spending 100 nights in $100/night rooms, an ambassador might not do you any good Really though I'm sure having an ambassador is cool, but unless you are spending close to $20k a year, you probably don't need one.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:13 pm
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
I had an actual meeting over 3 weeks ago and nothing has posted yet. Sent an e-mail to the hotel and they said they would check on it. Still waiting
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Marriott meetings & events vs. Starwood Preferred Planner

Hi, sorry to have to broadcast this fairly simple question, but not having much luck on M.com, or on the phone.....and I'm a but rusty with booking meetings.

With Starwood, I believe I got 1 SW point for every $10 spent if I hosted a meeting at a property that encompassed housing a group of rooms. What is the corresponding Marriott "math"? Let's assume I'm booking 50 rooms at a single property for a few days, and I'm not staying there.

I'm (now) a Platinum premiere member.

Thanks

RRZ
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Im going to Asia soon, i assume I could try finding a cheaper meeting event in something like Bangkok?

Or do I have better luck in NA negotiating with a random hotel?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
No-show never worked at every property, just a lot of them. Whether it works at the same number of properties, or fewer of them, that will take a lot of datapoints to figure out.

Your safest bet for a no-show crediting would be to use a property which has been known to reliably no-show credit in the past. But don't assume that a random hotel with no record of credit no shows has credited them in the past, much less will credit them in the future.

Remember, someone had to clean your meeting room afterwards, perhaps the next morning when the meeting staff was there, and if they'd said "the room was never unlocked, no chairs were moved, etc" then some people (even if a minority) might say "ok, no credit then". So don't assume that even on your past stays, that what you saw demonstrated that they couldn't tell if you had or hadn't been there.
You are right, that could happen.

I don't want run the risk, so I end up choosing event at where I stayed.

However it is Element which is a Starwood system. I contact the manager he seems to understand about Marriott group posting tool, I only tell him must credit my points with group posting tool. I hope I can successfully earn 10 nights.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yeunganson
All I can say is the ebonus program and the Group Posting Tool interface doesn't look like extremely basic point system. Both come from an internal system developed by Marriott called "SFA". I truly believe if it was Google, Apple, Microsoft with their army of engineers and psychologists in Human-User-Interface Design could make those two tools more intuitive so you don't need to read the manual. Making tools very user-friendly for hotel franchisee didn't seem to be that high of a priority or else they would have replaced the Marriott system with the more superior SPG system when they merge.

Fundamentally, the core part of a hotel operation is indeed taking money and giving you a room to stay in. So that part need to work as flawlessly as possible. Giving points to a guest are more bells and whistles - important but not core to a hotel's function. I totally agree a hotel should make sure the core part is working - guest get rooms, guest pays at check out. Managers should be dealing with the most pressing issues and demands of current staying guests. Then once you have staff time, worry about if points aren't posting automatically for certain guest and do it manually using the E-Bonus Tool ... or if more staff time is available someone needs to study how to use Group Posting Tools (because you can't just wing it).
Why is SPG system more superior? Just curious.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Long Distance
Wait, this would be a world record. You ran a meeting on January 27th (four days ago) and already have the ten nights (and points) credit?
Yes it was posted the next day. Same with my meeting in december.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Any suggestions on how to escalate this. Had a meeting last Friday. The hotel doesnt ususally do meetings and just has one ballroom that I rented for an hour for $50.00. I had the contract state the group posting tool needs to be used and they are now insisting the GPT is only for groups of 10 or more rooms. The Asst GM is saying the same thing. I sent a copy of the RE brochure that shows a meeting room qualifies. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by cruisr
Any suggestions on how to escalate this. Had a meeting last Friday. The hotel doesnt ususally do meetings and just has one ballroom that I rented for an hour for $50.00. I had the contract state the group posting tool needs to be used and they are now insisting the GPT is only for groups of 10 or more rooms. The Asst GM is saying the same thing. I sent a copy of the RE brochure that shows a meeting room qualifies. Any suggestions?
With all due respect what a scammer. You're the reason why legit meeting and event planners like me are getting screwed by Marriott.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:42 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
With all due respect what a scammer. You're the reason why legit meeting and event planners like me are getting screwed by Marriott.
Assuming they showed up for the "meeting" how is it a scam? The no-shows are the scammers.

Regardless, if Marriott can't figure out how to distinguish between $50 and 6 figure spend annually, that's on Marriott, not the guests.
cruisr, Twickenham and moreaki like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:45 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
Why is SPG system more superior? Just curious.
here's what I remember.

During the merging disaster last august, one of our flyertalk members, in that merger thread, posted a link to an interview with one of the former SPG head of IT operations (who has since left the company). There was some insightful points made about the merger. The one that left me with the most impact was instead of letting both company's IT department to plan whats technically best forward, the higher ups made decisions based on other factors like money saving. In the interview, the guy says SPG system was just newly built with tens of millions of dollars before the merger announced and it would have been logical to move all of the Marriott hotels into the SPG system instead the other way around. The Marriott system was built in the 1980s and uses mainframe, the programs designs are outdated and because years of patch work is making the system more complex and bulky. It maybe more work to move Marriott hotels to SPG system (than the other way around) because there are a lot more Marriott hotels than SPG hotels but would have paid off in the long run.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
With all due respect I was staying at the hotel for 4 nights, met a friend, and they got 64.00 all in for a room that was not going to be used. I followed the rules now and in the past.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Zorak
Assuming they showed up for the "meeting" how is it a scam? The no-shows are the scammers.

Regardless, if Marriott can't figure out how to distinguish between $50 and 6 figure spend annually, that's on Marriott, not the guests.
This is dead on.
cruisr likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by yeunganson
The Marriott system was built in the 1980s and uses mainframe, the programs designs are outdated and because years of patch work is making the system more complex and bulky. It maybe more work to move Marriott hotels to SPG system (than the other way around) because there are a lot more Marriott hotels than SPG hotels but would have paid off in the long run.
It’s been posted several times on FT that Marriott has a 2 yr old cloud based system. So which is it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.