Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why? Are you staying overnight in the banquet room? The principle is "stay and pay" to get nights credit.
That seems a rather blanket statement. Honestly, it depends what Marriott wants to incent. They can use whatever rewards they choose to incentivize whatever business results they are trying to achieve. There are plenty of cases where they award night credits without someone staying in room (credit card nights, annual birthday night, etc.)

Regards
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why? Are you staying overnight in the banquet room? The principle is "stay and pay" to get nights credit.
Because until 8/18, a legit non-room event got nights. It's ludicrous to give someone who books 7 or 10 rooms at $100 a night credit for nights but not give someone who books an expensive, legit event that doesn't involve overnight rooms. Plus, properties don't pay for nights. So what's the big deal? It's not like platinum premier means anything anymore. Everyone is platinum premier.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
One of the problems is I think Arne either reads FT and the blogs or has someone that does.

They pick up on things like becoming getting 70 nights for $700 or on people that move from hotel to hotel to get bonuses. They see it as abuse ... and change the program. I think that's part of why the fall megabonus is so poor.

They miss ... however, that there are people on here driving six figures in business and they're impacting that.

They also miss that sometimes we have to change hotels in the same city because of rates/availability issues.
It would be nice if while reading FT looking for potential loopholes to close, that MPG management addressed some of the other issues that are being discussed and made a sincere effort to correct them in a timely manner.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by rny321
It would be nice if while reading FT looking for potential loopholes to close, that MPG management addressed some of the other issues that are being discussed and made a sincere effort to correct them in a timely manner.
Agreed, but given FT is a very small percentage of MPG members, it should at least prompt them to STOP making statements that everything is fine. It's not and if that's what upper management is being told, they have a much larger problem than we are seeing. I've also had to deal with management the just plain refused to hear about change issues.
rny321 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Agreed, but given FT is a very small percentage of MPG members, it should at least prompt them to STOP making statements that everything is fine. It's not and if that's what upper management is being told, they have a much larger problem than we are seeing. I've also had to deal with management the just plain refused to hear about change issues.
Although FT members may be more discerning (needy? whiny?) than the average hotel guest, many of the issues being discussed, like long hold times and inaccurate information, affect loyalty across the board.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The senior manager who, I believe, is right under Flueck told me they never thought about Rewarding Events other than to stop the fake meetings. He did admit that. So, they were obviously aware of the scammers. But he said Marriott believed event planners thought SPG Pro was better. Of course, he also conceded they never actually surveyed event planners. Supposedly, they are working to fix a couple of the shortfalls, including the lack of nights for events without a room component. If I did a $30,000 banquet, I should get nights.
My children participated in athletics from preschool through college. Every single time that a parent arranged for a group rate for a block of rooms, it was at a Marriott hotel. The ability to earn 10 elite nights was enough to motivate a parent to deal with contracts and possible guarantees, but I doubt 2 elite nights credits for 50 rooms would garner the same interest. Unlike some large corporate bookings where rates are heavily negotiated, many of these group rates aren't much different from AAA or AARP rates. Since many of the best venues are in small towns, 50 rooms at a modestly reduced rate from various groups might be something that a rural Residence Inn or Courtyard would care about.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 11, 2018 at 8:51 am
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:49 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Because until 8/18, a legit non-room event got nights. It's ludicrous to give someone who books 7 or 10 rooms at $100 a night credit for nights but not give someone who books an expensive, legit event that doesn't involve overnight rooms. Plus, properties don't pay for nights. So what's the big deal? It's not like platinum premier means anything anymore. Everyone is platinum premier.
Didn't the new program also DOUBLE the points earned compared to pre-August? So you lose the elite nights after the first meeting but got double the points that can be used for free nights.

This makes the bigger the event, the bigger the amount the bonus gets. So $100 meeting nets 200 points - nothing to brag about. But a $50,000 meeting can now earn 100,000 points and be use to redeem two nights instead one. I mean booking corporate retreats just got a lot more lucrative than those 10 elite nights.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by yeunganson
Didn't the new program also DOUBLE the points earned compared to pre-August? So you lose the elite nights after the first meeting but got double the points that can be used for free nights.

This makes the bigger the event, the bigger the amount the bonus gets. So $100 meeting nets 200 points - nothing to brag about. But a $50,000 meeting can now earn 100,000 points and be use to redeem two nights instead one. I mean booking corporate retreats just got a lot more lucrative than those 10 elite nights.
The old MR program provided 3 points per dollar and 10 elite nights credit, so under the new system a meeting planner would get one less point per dollar for every meeting and lose the elite night credit after the first meeting. The only positive part of the change is the maximum number of points per meeting has increased.

Under the old rule, each block of hotel rooms earned 10 elite nights per contract. Under the new program, a planner would earn one night credit for each 20 rooms. So, only people booking > 200 nights will receive more elite night credits than before the August changes. Unless I am mistaken, after the first booking there will be no additional elite nights added to a members accounts for additional blocks of rooms.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 13, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
My guess is the hotel posted the points like they would post a service recovery and din't actually post the event using the posting tool.
The PP Ambassador finally helped get this fixed and my EQN number bumped by 10 and, more importantly, my Lifetime number bumped by 10. It posted in a very weird way which is fine (see below) but my nights are right. So far the generic bonus the hotel initially gave has also stayed, and I feel I deserve it.

What's annoying is that there were 30 room nights for the event so I think I should have gotten 10+1 if I understand the program correctly. I only got 10. I guess I can ask Ambassador about that but is it capped at 10 and those extra EQN's for 20 nights or only on other stays?

I'm sweating out this LTPP, have 7 nights in next two weeks between SAT, SLC, LAX & PVG which puts me at 746 (I did math wrong and thot was at 745). I'm going to end up doing a mattress run for those 4 nights but I'm just so scared the totals are somehow wrong and after audit I'll lose out.

Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The senior manager who, I believe, is right under Flueck told me they never thought about Rewarding Events other than to stop the fake meetings. He did admit that. So, they were obviously aware of the scammers. But he said Marriott believed event planners thought SPG Pro was better. Of course, he also conceded they never actually surveyed event planners. Supposedly, they are working to fix a couple of the shortfalls, including the lack of nights for events without a room component. If I did a $30,000 banquet, I should get nights.
Which suggests they actually do read these things. Like Arne, they seem a little focused on the scammer aspect.

Seems to me they developed the incentive for a legit reason to incentivize legit meetings. A $30k banquet seems pretty legit!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Well, I had a meeting last night at our local Courtyard. Came with my hubby and we sat in the small meeting room catching up on emails and such for a while then left.
I’m really hoping I don’t have to fight for the elite nights. I had a contract but it did not mention the the nights. It included my Marriott account number. The event planner said via email that I would qualify for them if this was my first meeting this year.
Does anyone know what next steps are? How long should I wait for the nights to show up or an email confirming they are coming?
Thanks. I will report back.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
Well, I had a meeting last night at our local Courtyard. Came with my hubby and we sat in the small meeting room catching up on emails and such for a while then left.
I’m really hoping I don’t have to fight for the elite nights. I had a contract but it did not mention the the nights. It included my Marriott account number. The event planner said via email that I would qualify for them if this was my first meeting this year.
Does anyone know what next steps are? How long should I wait for the nights to show up or an email confirming they are coming?
If you're successful, let me know (via PM if you wish) where this courtyard is, I need to do this to get my gold status and I'm looking for a location in the GTA.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Reports of credit showing up has been everywhere from the same day to over 10 days after (without filing a missing stay report). The property needs to post the stay using the Group Posting Tool that notifies MPG that the RE has occurred. MPG is the one that ponies up the nights and not the property. Give it two weeks and then contact the property to make sure they have posted the event and then go to MPG to ask for the nights to post.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Mighty_Bluff
I just set up a 1 hour, $100 event through the rewarding events website for a meeting tomorrow. I signed everything online through the website. Do i need to do anything else, other than showing up, to ensure the 10 nights? The hotel is 5-min from my house, so i'll just swing by for a bit.. thanks.
Did you ever get the nights credited?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:14 pm

Well, it is a few days post meeting and I received the email from Marriott confirming the points and 10 nights were posted! They aren’t in the account yet but I have a reference number so think I am good to go. We are planning a trip to Europe which was contingent on getting Platinum status due to the value lounge access and upgrades bring to the vacation.
This was my first meeting. I had an event 6 years ago which obviously didn’t matter.
I dealt with the events co-ordinator at the hotel and tried not to be too obvious about my motives and also want to leave the door open for next years meeting if I need it!
Thanks all of you for posting your experiences, that what forums like these are all about!
edit: the nights posted to my Marriott account yesterday, gets me Platinum for another year!
Arthurrs and rny321 like this.

Last edited by Ontariotraveller; Nov 20, 2018 at 12:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.