Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Keyser
if you go through this thread then you will see that i was one of the first posters to say that you should have gotten the elite qualifying nights & there is no need to spend money on catering or av, etc in order to hold genuine meetings....there were a number of posters who asked you a few basic questions like whether these were genuine meetings or just for the purpose of getting 10 elite qualifying nights or if you actually attended the meetings....you haven't answered any of those questions & instead started getting defensive....i think an honest answer to those questions would have gotten you more sympathetic responses from other posters....
Agreed - FT is generally a helpful, reciprocal place..."we" are seasoned vets and don't mind helping & debating.

But when one starts guns blazing, brings the insults, gets overly defensive, refuses to answer basic questions, and acts better than others...the derailment of what was a pretty good & helpful thread is what happens.
C17PSGR, Keyser and Finkface like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler
My understanding is contracts even pre-08/18 did not mention the nights or points, just that the meeting would post under Rewarding Events. The dicier part is that the terms on Marriott.com pre-08/18 said meetings took 7-10 business days to post (requiring members to hold meetings before August 4th to fall under the old terms of up to 10 business days, to post by 08/17) and generally reference awards under the loyalty program as being whatever is in effect the time the award is made.
My contract says "10 EQN per event" and 3 points per USD.

A meeting defined is an assembly of people. If you paid for the meeting room, and the property provided a clean, empty room available for use, Marriott may interpret your bookings as ineligible or your activity as potentially fraudulent/abusive if they were no-shows. Did you actually show up to the meetings? Some posters may take issue of whether or not you "deserve" the nights if they were no-show meetings (personally I think as long as you paid, you should get credited), but the language of the MR T&C both pre-08/18 and post-08/18 gives them pretty wide latitude in closing accounts. And I could very easily see Marriott deeming holding 8 no-show meetings (if they were indeed no-show meetings) to buy the nights as an "abuse" of the loyalty program.
I don't see why Marriott would consider above activity as fraudulent if the hotel actually charged you $$ for meetings (continuously). In case of no-show meetings,if the hotel was willing to post them in GPT and charge $$$, I don't see how Marriott would interpret anything as program abuse...how would they be aware of no-shows, if , once again the hotel charged money and entered meetings in the group posting tool. Just because they were super cheap ? They can of course decide to do whatever they want, but it would definitely be arbitrary....unless the hotel didn't want to enter anything in GPT and just wanted to take your $
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DealAddict
My contract says "10 EQN per event" and 3 points per USD.

Is that the exact language, verbatim?

Did you quote with Marriott.com site or directly with the hotel? It could clarify a lot of ambiguity.

If it's defined clearly and plainly in the contract, then there's a much better argument to get the nights. If it's in plain language in mingzie's contract like that, then there should be no argument over the post date, and Marriott should (eventually) manually adjust the night totals to reflect this.

Originally Posted by DealAddict
I don't see why Marriott would consider above activity as fraudulent if the hotel actually charged you $$ for meetings (continuously). In case of no-show meetings,if the hotel was willing to post them in GPT and charge $$$, I don't see how Marriott would interpret anything as program abuse...how would they be aware of no-shows, if , once again the hotel charged money and entered meetings in the group posting tool. Just because they were super cheap ? They can of course decide to do whatever they want, but it would definitely be arbitrary....unless the hotel didn't want to enter anything in GPT and just wanted to take your $
Marriott has the final say. They may consider the fact that the meetings were no-shows as that they were not legitimate meetings and just runs for nights. They could interpret this as an abuse of the program to grind the EQNs rather than incidentally getting nights for legitimate meetings.

How could Marriott be aware of a no-show? Raise a fuss over your EQNs not posting from Rewarding Events. MR looks into account. MR See a ton of meetings just before 08/18, eight meetings within the span of six days. Maybe some of the meetings are so distant from a hotel perspective that it's doubtful the organizer could get from one property with a meeting to another. MR sees that no incidentals posted via GPT. Marriott corporate asks the hotels if anyone actually showed up to the meetings. Finds out nobody did show up.

It's a hypothetical. MR could ignore it, or just say too bad, or maybe even award the nights. If I were the person escalating the issue though - in the scenario of 8 meetings in six days with no actual stay nights - I would be concerned about Marriott potentially acting negatively.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:53 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
People with pre-August 18 meeting/group contracts indicating they will earn 10 elite nights from such meetings are due those elite nights--barring Marriott finding their meeting activity to be fraudulent, of course. I certainly hope Marriott goes after and/or refuses some elite night credits if and when such fraud is ascertained.

Regardless, I am delighted to know that the schemers taking advantage of the multiple 10 elite night/meeting bonuses no longer will be able to do so from August 18 and forward. It gives me great pleasure to know that 2018 and 2019 will be the last year those schemes will pay dividends.
Finkface likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
People with pre-August 18 meeting/group contracts indicating they will earn 10 elite nights from such meetings are due those elite nights--barring Marriott finding their meeting activity to be fraudulent, of course. I certainly hope Marriott goes after and/or refuses some elite night credits if and when such fraud is ascertained.
So in your opinion what would make a meeting fraudulent? As mentioned above, if the hotel charges for the meeting, even if the person that booked the meeting doesn't show up, I don't see how that could be considered fraudulent.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler
Is that the exact language, verbatim?

Did you quote with Marriott.com site or directly with the hotel? It could clarify a lot of ambiguity.

If it's defined clearly and plainly in the contract, then there's a much better argument to get the nights. If it's in plain language in mingzie's contract like that, then there should be no argument over the post date, and Marriott should (eventually) manually adjust the night totals to reflect this.
It's the language verbatim. I asked them to put it in the contract

Marriott has the final say.
How could Marriott be aware of a no-show? Raise a fuss over your EQNs not posting from Rewarding Events. MR looks into account. MR See a ton of meetings just before 08/18, eight meetings within the span of six days. Maybe some of the meetings are so distant from a hotel perspective that it's doubtful the organizer could get from one property with a meeting to another. MR sees that no incidentals posted via GPT. Marriott corporate asks the hotels if anyone actually showed up to the meetings. Finds out nobody did show up.

It's a hypothetical. MR could ignore it, or just say too bad, or maybe even award the nights. If I were the person escalating the issue though - in the scenario of 8 meetings in six days with no actual stay nights - I would be concerned about Marriott potentially acting negatively.
My meetings didn't post at all, and I asked the hotel GM to follow up. They told me that everything is pending corporate approval

Yesterday the meetings posted finally, just not the 10 EQN

I don't think therefore corporate cares otherwise nothing would have been posted at all
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:18 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by GoPhils
So in your opinion what would make a meeting fraudulent? As mentioned above, if the hotel charges for the meeting, even if the person that booked the meeting doesn't show up, I don't see how that could be considered fraudulent.
It doesn't matter what I or you or any of us consider fraudulent. It only matters what Marriott considers fraudulent.

Holding a real meeting isn't grounds for fraud; but holding a fake meeting with no attendees in order to earn elite nights towards status absolutely can be construed as fraud. Because that would be fraud.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
It doesn't matter what I or you or any of us consider fraudulent. It only matters what Marriott considers fraudulent.
Agree. And they clearly didn't think no-show meetings were fraudulent previously because people have been doing them for years (not that it matters, but I never have).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:40 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Agree. And they clearly didn't think no-show meetings were fraudulent previously because people have been doing them for years (not that it matters, but I never have).
They certainly didn't seem to care and didn't take any action in the past over those fake meetings; whether or not they believed those to be fraudulent is another question.

In the past, Marriott elite status also wasn't worth as much. There now are far more and better elite benefits in the new Loyalty Program. So who knows how Marriott may proceed. Again, it's up to Marriott.

Either way, the OP continues to be surprised at the lack of sympathy about his no-show meetings not being credited so far toward his status. Unfortunately, whether the OP agrees or not, many of us believe those no-show meetings are fraudulent attempts to gain status that isn't deserved. Regardless of what Marriott ultimately decides to do, that sentiment here is unlikely to change.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 12, 2018 at 1:48 pm
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, the case of a meeting where no one shows up (as opposed to no F&B or AV charges) is similar to booking a hotel room--even prepaying for it using a cheap nonrefundable rate--not showing up and expecting the night credit. Starriot (like MR, SPG and most other hotel programs) have stay and pay requirements for night/stay credits. You can't just reserve and pay for some cheap room in a far away location and expect to get credit for it.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:00 pm

Unfortunately, whether the OP agrees or not, many of us believe those no-show meetings are fraudulent attempts to gain status that isn't deserved. Regardless of what Marriott ultimately decides to do, that sentiment here is unlikely to change.

If the hotel wants to charge $ for the no show meetings and makes a promise to give the points and nights I think all questions about whether or not something is deserved goes out the window..

Last edited by DealAddict; Sep 12, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As a legit events planner, I've sent a long email to the account executive and sales manager at properties and Marriott's central offices (about 30 people total) that I've dealt with over the years.

I've made them clear that I am only doing events and meetings at Marriott branded properties because there are zero incentives to do so. Getting rid of the 10 elite-qualifying nights is one thing, but not counting my $250,000 a year in spending, or even a fraction of it, toward the ambassador threshold is an insult.
I assume you meant to say "not doing events..." in the second paragraph instead of "only doing events...". My company instituted a policy where our meeting planners do not accept the points, etc on any events/meeting contracts as it eliminates any question whether deals are being influenced by personal gain. Obviously, everyone will have a different perspective on this and I don't necessarily blame anyone for feeling differently, but I personally prefer our approach as I don't want my colleagues wondering "why does Bosman get all those hotel points off our meetings?"
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bosman
I assume you meant to say "not doing events..." in the second paragraph instead of "only doing events...". My company instituted a policy where our meeting planners do not accept the points, etc on any events/meeting contracts as it eliminates any question whether deals are being influenced by personal gain. Obviously, everyone will have a different perspective on this and I don't necessarily blame anyone for feeling differently, but I personally prefer our approach as I don't want my colleagues wondering "why does Bosman get all those hotel points off our meetings?"
I follow a similar approach when I do have meetings in that I have an assistant or marketing coordinate everything, although they can get the points. Additionally, this allows me to focus on costs, location, etc.

That being said, I think there are at least a couple of posters on here who have appear to have businesses where meetings and booking multiple rooms are a core part of their business and it obviously makes sense for them to maximize their benefits so I don't have a problem with that. Hopefully, MR can figure out some better incentives for them once they've sorted through the book a meeting at the XYZ FI for $50 and not show. Then again, MR can't even come up with a decent promo for business travelers ... but that's another thread
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bosman
Thanks. I corrected the typos.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:00 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Someone upstream asked how did the RE contact looked like and here it is. (This is from Pre-merger and i am not sure if this has changed since)
Note that there is no mention of 10 EQN. But it was understood that EQN came along with the points back then.

Originally Posted by myself
REWARDS PROGRAM - REWARDING EVENTS
Approximately (10) business days after the conclusion of the Event (provided that the Event is not cancelled and member has otherwise complied with the material terms and conditions of this Agreement), the Hotel will either award Points or submit an award for airline miles to the Member(s) identified below:
Rewarding Events does not apply to Events booked by or on behalf of any governmental entity, including any federal, state or local agency or any other governmental body, and hotels may not award Points or airline miles to a government employee (or an intermediary booking on behalf of a governmental entity) in connection with the Rewarding Events program or otherwise in connection with planning, scheduling or contracting for an Event.

CHECK ONE OPTION BELOW:
q Award Points to the Contact (as identified on page 1 of this Agreement or the Authorized Signer of this Agreement)
Member Name __________________________________________________
Rewards Program Member Number ________________________________

q Award Airline Miles to the Contact (as identified on page 1 of this Agreement or the Authorized Signer of this Agreement)
Member Name __________________________________________________
Rewards Program Member Number ________________________________
Airline frequent flier account number _________________________________
Name of airline __________________________________________________

q Decline to Award Points or Airline Miles. The Contact and the Authorized Signer of this Agreement elect not to receive (and hereby waive the right to receive) an award of Points or airline miles in connection with the Event.
The number of Points or airline miles to be awarded shall be determined pursuant to the Rewards Program Terms and Conditions, as in effect at the time of award. The Rewards Program Terms and Conditions are available on-line at marriottrewards.com, and may be changed at the sole discretion of the Rewards Program at any time and without notice.

The individual(s) identified above to receive either Points or airline miles may not be changed without such individual(s)’ prior written consent. By inserting the airline mileage account information, the recipient elects to receive airline miles rather than Points. All Rewards Program Terms and Conditions apply. Member Name: (Printed)
Member Signature:

Date:

Please email completed form or fax the completed form to (760) 346-9305.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.