Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by geminidreams
Do you really think they care about giving the status? I dont know what this guys potential travel expenditures would be but at present Marriott have a minimum $800 for basically nothing. That buys a lot of breakfasts. The rest of the benefits are minimal in terms of expenditure so if it encourages him to stay then they actually do well out of it. If he doesnt plan to have many stays per year he would be just better off paying for breakfast or a club room. Marriott ran the benefit for a long time and it didnt seem to worry them so a final straggler should not be high on their priorities when there are bigger problems afoot with the integration.
Exactly.

Ive never stayed at SPG, but I've spent $50k+ at Autograph Collection in room rates alone over the years, in fact I qualified for old gold without a fast track. My ratio is probably higher than most everyone here in terms of what I've provided to Marriott vs benefits I've taken. In fact ive already given them $1500+ for free ( i paid higher than $100) through the meetings ive booked, especially because they didnt honor my elite nights. There's no need for any personal attacks as this is a global issue, not just mine.

Just know that you are allowing Marriott to get away with screwing people over. It doesn't matter if its someone with 1000 njghts or who booked $50000 meetings. Not honoring is not honoring. It doesn't matter if only 2 ppl showed up to a meeting with no catering or AV and they had a meeting about a TV show. A meeting is a meeting. I even have a ABN and business name for my business which is legitimate.

​​​​​​That you guys want to make this a personal vendetta to make me look bad rather than making Marriott correct wrongs says more about you than me.

bhrubin you said you booked a fake meeting in the rewarding events thread to get your last 10 elite nights for lifetime. Were you lying about that too? Where's your av and catering? You should get a ban too - hypocritical man. If it was a real meeting and you didn't just do it for EQN how about you show us your AV and catering charges. Yeah, that's what I thought.
​​​​​

Last edited by mingzie; Sep 11, 2018 at 5:51 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mingzie
Exactly.

Ive never stayed at SPG, but I've spent $50k+ at Autograph Collection in room rates alone over the years, in fact I qualified for old gold without a fast track. My ratio is probably higher than most everyone here in terms of what I've provided to Marriott vs benefits I've taken. In fact ive already given them $1500+ for free ( i paid higher than $100) through the meetings ive booked, especially because they didnt honor my elite nights. There's no need for any personal attacks as this is a global issue, not just mine.

Just know that you are allowing Marriott to get away with screwing people over. It doesn't matter if its someone with 1000 njghts or who booked $50000 meetings. Not honoring is not honoring. It doesn't matter if only 2 ppl showed up to a meeting with no catering or AV and they had a meeting about a TV show. A meeting is a meeting. I even have a ABN and business name for my business which is legitimate.
Did you and the one other person actually show up to the hotel for the meeting? Your previous posts suggest not (and location of hotel makes it unlikely) but here is your chance to say otherwise. If not, then as I said, you tied up a meeting room for seven or eight days in a row, thereby depriving the hotel of the opportunity to host a real meeting with ancillary revenue from F&B etc. in an attempt to scam status. That does not sit well with me or indeed most of the posters here and I have no problem with Marriott ‘screwing you over’ in return. However, I don’t believe they are even doing that, as the posts in this thread made it clear that what you were attempting would likely not be successful.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by geminidreams
it didnt seem to worry them so a final straggler should not be high on their priorities when there are bigger problems afoot with the integration.
The practical issue is that if OP is more patient, I suspect Marriott may get all this sorted out.

Originally Posted by phltraveler
If that other user indeed had never showed to any of the meetings, there's potential under the terms section 1.7.ii.e, that they could consider him/her to not be a real professional meeting planner, and then his/her entire MR account could be subject to closure:
I don't think RE requires a professional meeting planner. On the other hand, the T&C's make clear that Marriott can close accounts for what they deem to be inappropriate behavior. Here OP appears to be in the quadrant of very low value/very high maintenance which no business wants.

So Marriott runs a promotion giving 5000 bonus points and double elite credits per night stay until 30 Sep. Someone stays 15 Sep but stay posts in October. They are not entitled to the points and double elite credits?

You also don't seem to know what an analogy is.
Your analogy has logic.

But the reality is that MR can simply see that you don't have any history with the company and obviously scheduled sham meetings for the purpose of getting night credits and status cheaply.

Additionally, from your other posts its clear you expect that this should give you priority over someone who is actually staying at Marriott properties for 50-60 nights (lets say $10,000 in revenue). Also, there are posters in this thread who actually spend a lot of time at Marriott with nights and meetings who would appreciate a little boost from the old rules. Unfortunately, abuse of the system has effectively killed it for everyone. That's not an analogy .... just the truth.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Don't really have any comment on the other aspects, but...

Originally Posted by Finkface
S/he booked eight x $100 ‘meetings’ over the span of 6 days, Aug. 11-17 and most likely did not even show up as he seems to be in another part of the world. Meaning zero additonal F&B etc. revenue for the hotel yet tying up a meeting room daily so it could not be used legitimately by anyone else where the hotel could earn ancillary revenue.
Did you and the one other person actually show up to the hotel for the meeting? Your previous posts suggest not (and location of hotel makes it unlikely) but here is your chance to say otherwise. If not, then as I said, you tied up a meeting room for seven or eight days in a row, thereby depriving the hotel of the opportunity to host a real meeting with ancillary revenue from F&B etc.
... I kinda doubt the meeting room was blocked for the *entire* day for $100. I also kinda doubt there was a long line of people desperate to hold legitimate and lucrative meetings if only some scammer hadn't sniped them all for $100 (but it makes for an amusing mental image)

So the "loss of use" argument isn't very persuasive to me; in fact capturing an extra $100 for what was likely an otherwise-idle resource seems like something the properties were fine with, given how much of this was apparently going on.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
That does not sit well with me or indeed most of the posters here .
Who elected you spokesperson for most of the posters here on FT? Did you go back to post 1 of this thread and count the number of posts pro and con?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
In my opinion, since Marriott knew about this loophole for years before closing it, basically this was a way for people to buy elite status. Marriott is getting money from these meetings. It's not like people are getting status for free this way.

Didn't Marriott allow people to buy back status with points in the past as well? This was a way to do that with money instead of points.

mingzie did procrastinate, and that contributed to the problem. A meeting on Aug. 17 didn't have much chance of posting by the 18th. It will be interesting to see what happens. The loophole is closed now. So the main way to buy status is with a Ritz or Amex luxury card now. Or I suppose that people with the old Marriott Premier Visa could get 1 night per $3K spend on top of the 15 nights per year and get status that way. But, obviously, Marriott is willing to sell status.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR

Additionally, from your other posts its clear you expect that this should give you priority over someone who is actually staying at Marriott properties for 50-60 nights (lets say $10,000 in revenue). Also, there are posters in this thread who actually spend a lot of time at Marriott with nights and meetings who would appreciate a little boost from the old rules. Unfortunately, abuse of the system has effectively killed it for everyone. That's not an analogy .... just the truth.
Putting words into my mouth again. There you go. I expect EVERYONES issues to be solved in a timely manner where money is involved, regardless if they're 'nbasic' or fifty star platinum.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Putting words into my mouth again. There you go. I expect EVERYONES issues to be solved in a timely manner where money is involved, regardless if they're 'nbasic' or fifty star platinum.
Seems to me your posts indicate Marriott has communicated to you in a timely manner -- that you are not entitled to the nights credits.

So, its not a matter of solving the issue in a timely manner. You don't like the answer.

And to avoid putting words into your mouth, was it your expectation that by booking several meetings during a single week would give you priority in terms of upgrades over someone who actually spent 50-60 nights a year at Marriott properties?
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:50 pm

If Marriott wasn't going to give the 10 EQN for phantom room bookings, then perhaps they shouldn't have taken people's money and put this on a contract. And promised that someone would get 10 EQN. They knew all well what they were doing.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Seems to me your posts indicate Marriott has communicated to you in a timely manner -- that you are not entitled to the nights credits.

So, its not a matter of solving the issue in a timely manner. You don't like the answer.

And to avoid putting words into your mouth, was it your expectation that by booking several meetings during a single week would give you priority in terms of upgrades over someone who actually spent 50-60 nights a year at Marriott properties?

Again, making things up.

Marriott has not replied to a single query of mine. If anything phone rep said I was entitled to it but to email the invoice.

Keep putting words into peoples mouths you two. First its I'm suing the company, next I believe I should get priority over people staying 50-60 nights.

Stahp it.

No communication is actually worse than any

Last edited by mingzie; Sep 11, 2018 at 9:59 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by DealAddict
If Marriott wasn't going to give the 10 EQN for phantom room bookings, then perhaps they shouldn't have taken people's money and put this on a contract. And promised that someone would get 10 EQN. They knew all well what they were doing.
You speak too much logic. They didn't know what they were doing. They were in the dark for 8 years. Also, it was such a bad loophole that they waited 1.5 years on a merger before the new terms were effective.

Everything is OK though, we have diehard Marriott loyalists that will do whatever they can to reduce the elite pool. Its hilarious and pathetic at the same time.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
It seems to me that some tried to hold meetings before August 18 in an obvious effort to scheme and get higher status with the new Loyalty Program. It also seems that some are screaming at the rain in this thread because Marriott isn't entertaining such obvious scheming.

Everyone knew for months in advance that the rules would change on August 18. Everyone knew that Marriott Rewards and its concomitant rules ended on August 17 and that the new Loyalty Program and its concomitant rules began on August 18. Anyone holding a meeting for genuine reasons close to August 18 knew this, too, but it shouldn't matter to them. Only those holding meetings under false pretenses close to August 18 are upset, since they held meetings they didn't need only to get elite nights the new Loyalty Program no longer says they deserve.

Marriott Rewards allowed one to scheme by holding meetings and earning 10 elite nights for each one. The new Loyalty Program shows that Marriott wised up and ONLY allows one to earn those 10 elite nights for the FIRST meeting. It was very clear to me, and it was very clear to many others. Some chose to pretend otherwise. Others prayed that it meant something else. Some people only hear what they want to hear, but Marriott isn't responsible for them. Nor are any of us.

Any meetings held prior to Aug 18 for genuine reasons got exactly what someone paid for--meetings. The status perks associated with those meetings changed on August 18. If one waited too long to scheme too close to the August 18 date, then one waited too long. Marriott no longer is entertaining the scheming.

Good for Marriott. Good riddance to the schemers and their complaints.
I hope the same rule applies to anyone who booked two or three rooms for stays before August 18th that posted after August 18th. Nights credit for only the member's own one room would similarly seem to be appropriate, with points earned for up to three rooms paid for by the member, of course assuming that the member is physically present and *staying* in one of the rooms.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope the same rule applies to anyone who booked two or three rooms for stays before August 18th that posted after August 18th. Nights credit for only the member's own one room would similarly seem to be appropriate, with points earned for up to three rooms paid for by the member, of course assuming that the member is physically present and *staying* in one of the rooms.
Exactly. This rule should apply to all benefits / promotions.

The same people bashing me in this thread are bashing the guy in the BRG thread for wanting his 6,000 Marriott Points. Its seriously pathetic and the resolution is simple for Marriott to make things right. HONOR all previous promotions and contracts that were valid at the time of the stay/event.

​​​​
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:22 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I submitted three RFPs to a local Sydney Courtyard Marriott for a two hour event and called today to follow up. The sales agent said she’d never heard of a tracking number and didn’t know what to do with it “as I’m not an IT person.”

She offered to book it direct and I declined without it going through the Marriott booking system.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I don't do any meetings. But in this case, Marriott obviously did not fulfill their terms of contract to credit the ten nights.
New term don't give them the right to override old agreed contract. Anyone who side with Marriott in this scenario need to get their head check.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.