Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:41 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by Finkface

So that seems to be where your problem lies. It seems you may have gambled and lost. Or you can fight this to the death and get your 20 nights and bogus status for this year but, as others have said, is this really the fight you want to take to Marriott? Someone who booked several cheap, questionable ‘meetings’ just under the wire just to get status and is not really profitable to them as a frequent paying guest? Up to you but I wouldn’t want to shine that spotlight on myself.
Yup when i went all in on "31st July" it was either make it or break it. Also I was fully aware of the risks involved if my meetings were posted late.

Ref: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...postcount=2813
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:55 am

has the OP linked to an official post (from marriott, not blowhard blogger) on how things would shake out after merger and event postings?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
You lost us at "refund"

Originally Posted by mingzie
I would like to get a refund on these as a matter of principle. Who can we fight against since Marriott is refusing to acknowledge us at all after a month and is brushing us under the rug.

Marriott customer service is extremely poor and this is borderline scamming the customers who booked the events over a few EQN that won't affect them much at all but that we are entitled to.
This is where you lost a lot of sympathy, IMHO. You may be upset to not to get the 10 nights EQN for holding your meeting. It may be unfair that you did. But you do not have the right to demand a refund since Marriott offered the core service it was contractually obligated to offer, a space for your meeting (including heat, air conditioning, use of chairs tables paper and/or pencils, utilities and clean up after the meeting concluded). If you did not receive the nights you expected, you may be within your rights to ask for a discount on what you paid to reflect Marriott's inability to award you these nights. But you can't in good conscience ask for a refund on the entire amount you paid.
davidsc111, bhrubin and nli007 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mingzie
Only 2.
Two? Or eight? In 7 days. And all between Aug 11-18. Did you actually show up at the hotel or were these booked in a completely different part of the world?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30072854-post2991.html
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by Finkface; Sep 11, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
It seems to me that some tried to hold meetings before August 18 in an obvious effort to scheme and get higher status with the new Loyalty Program. It also seems that some are screaming at the rain in this thread because Marriott isn't entertaining such obvious scheming.

Everyone knew for months in advance that the rules would change on August 18. Everyone knew that Marriott Rewards and its concomitant rules ended on August 17 and that the new Loyalty Program and its concomitant rules began on August 18. Anyone holding a meeting for genuine reasons close to August 18 knew this, too, but it shouldn't matter to them. Only those holding meetings under false pretenses close to August 18 are upset, since they held meetings they didn't need only to get elite nights the new Loyalty Program no longer says they deserve.

Marriott Rewards allowed one to scheme by holding meetings and earning 10 elite nights for each one. The new Loyalty Program shows that Marriott wised up and ONLY allows one to earn those 10 elite nights for the FIRST meeting. It was very clear to me, and it was very clear to many others. Some chose to pretend otherwise. Others prayed that it meant something else. Some people only hear what they want to hear, but Marriott isn't responsible for them. Nor are any of us.

Any meetings held prior to Aug 18 for genuine reasons got exactly what someone paid for--meetings. The status perks associated with those meetings changed on August 18. If one waited too long to scheme too close to the August 18 date, then one waited too long. Marriott no longer is entertaining the scheming.

Good for Marriott. Good riddance to the schemers and their complaints.
UA-NYC and Finkface like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by bhrubin
It seems to me that some tried to hold meetings before August 18 in an obvious effort to scheme and get higher status with the new Loyalty Program. It also seems that some are screaming at the rain in this thread because Marriott isn't entertaining such obvious scheming.

Everyone knew for months in advance that the rules would change on August 18. Everyone knew that Marriott Rewards and its concomitant rules ended on August 17 and that the new Loyalty Program and its concomitant rules began on August 18. Anyone holding a meeting for genuine reasons close to August 18 knew this, too, but it shouldn't matter to them. Only those holding meetings under false pretenses close to August 18 are upset, since they held meetings they didn't need only to get elite nights the new Loyalty Program no longer says they deserve.

Marriott Rewards allowed one to scheme by holding meetings and earning 10 elite nights for each one. The new Loyalty Program shows that Marriott wised up and ONLY allows one to earn those 10 elite nights for the FIRST meeting. It was very clear to me, and it was very clear to many others. Some chose to pretend otherwise. Others prayed that it meant something else. Some people only hear what they want to hear, but Marriott isn't responsible for them. Nor are any of us.

Any meetings held prior to Aug 18 for genuine reasons got exactly what someone paid for--meetings. The status perks associated with those meetings changed on August 18. If one waited too long to scheme too close to the August 18 date, then one waited too long. Marriott no longer is entertaining the scheming.

But don't forget some got a confirmation from MR that not only meetings held before the 18th but not posted will still earn the 10 EQNs and some were even told that meeting booked but not held before the 18th would be honored. I think it's fair that if one got confirmation it should be honored. Granted not always MRs strong point.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:53 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by RogerD408
But don't forget some got a confirmation from MR that not only meetings held before the 18th but not posted will still earn the 10 EQNs and some were even told that meeting booked but not held before the 18th would be honored. I think it's fair that if one got confirmation it should be honored. Granted not always MRs strong point.
I think we all know that Marriott is undergoing some massive IT issues now. It should surprise no one that Marriott will handle those before it ever gets to this issue. Anyone scheming to have meetings so close to the August 18 date who then is unhappy and in the least bit surprised that Marriott hasn’t been able to sort those meeting details is unbelievable to me.

It’s bad enough that one is scheming, but it’s particularly galling that the offended parties are most likely the schemers in the first place. I have very little sympathy for that.
C17PSGR and Finkface like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat

I think we all know that Marriott is undergoing some massive IT issues now. It should surprise no one that Marriott will handle those before it ever gets to this issue. Anyone scheming to have meetings so close to the August 18 date who then is unhappy and in the least bit surprised that Marriott hasn’t been able to sort those meeting details is unbelievable to me.

It’s bad enough that one is scheming, but it’s particularly galling that the offended parties are most likely the schemers in the first place. I have very little sympathy for that.
Half the posts on FT are about scheming to get a benefit. If it is within the terms there should be no issue. Marriott should as a minimum acknowledge receipt of the complaint and provide a brief outline of resolution and timeline. IT issues may be taking a lot of resources but it doesnt mean they should be just ignoring resolution of other problems. If they dont want to give the nights credit for a small meeting fee then hand back the small meetings fee, otherwise meet the terms of the agreement.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Half the posts on FT are about scheming to get a benefit. If it is within the terms there should be no issue. Marriott should as a minimum acknowledge receipt of the complaint and provide a brief outline of resolution and timeline. IT issues may be taking a lot of resources but it doesnt mean they should be just ignoring resolution of other problems. If they dont want to give the nights credit for a small meeting fee then hand back the small meetings fee, otherwise meet the terms of the agreement.
The OP had never before set foot in a Marriott. S/he booked eight x $100 ‘meetings’ over the span of 6 days, Aug. 11-17 and most likely did not even show up as he seems to be in another part of the world. Meaning zero additonal F&B etc. revenue for the hotel yet tying up a meeting room daily so it could not be used legitimately by anyone else where the hotel could earn ancillary revenue. He was also aware that this had the potential (liklihood) to fail based on being told so in the previous thread yet he decided to chance it anyway and is now crying foul.

Not one previous stay ever - do you think Marriott really cares about his business?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30072854-post2991.html
Thanks guys. I've just reserved 8 meetings for $800 USD just before 17 Aug

Why I did so I do not know. Must be the feeling of 'elite' status and just doing it because its there - I actually do not have any stays with Marriott atm so it will be my first time with the brand.

I have FOMOED in to this Marriott $800 'loophole' and hopefully it is actually worth it for me. I'm in Australia where we don't have any CC with elite nights, and since I'm a no status member I'd be doing the first 4 weeks without any status or benefits without all 8 meetings.

Last edited by Finkface; Sep 11, 2018 at 2:18 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:39 pm

If one is MR gold (from SPG gold) check in before 8/18, enjoy breakfast (scheming the system?), then when he check out after 8/18, can hotel charge him all the breakfast before 8/18? Since after 8/18, his SPG gold can't qualify him for free breakfast. Per your logic, any stay prior to 8/18 got exactly what someone paid for -- a room, the status perk associated with those room changed on aug 18. Therefor when check out after 8/18 (like meeting held/paid before 8/18 but post into system after 8/18) , they don't deserved what they were entitled to before 8/18, so pay up all the perks happen before 8/18?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
The OP had never before set foot in a Marriott. S/he booked eight x $100 ‘meetings’ over the span of 6 days, Aug. 11-17 and most likely did not even show up as he seems to be in another part of the world. Meaning zero additonal F&B etc. revenue for the hotel yet tying up a meeting room daily so it could not be used legitimately by anyone else where the hotel could earn ancillary revenue. He was also aware that this had the potential (liklihood) to fail based on being told so in the previous thread yet he decided to chance it anyway and is now crying foul.

Not one previous stay ever - do you think Marriott really cares about his business?
If that other user indeed had never showed to any of the meetings, there's potential under the terms section 1.7.ii.e, that they could consider him/her to not be a real professional meeting planner, and then his/her entire MR account could be subject to closure:

Originally Posted by MR T&C
ii. Cancelling or Suspending by the Company. The Company may cancel a Member’s accumulated Points, suspend Loyalty Program benefits, suspend Elite Membership Status, suspend Lifetime Elite Membership Status (which will subsequently also remove protection against the forfeiture of Points should the member become inactive as described in Section 1.5.d. or cancel a Member’s account at any time with immediate effect and without written notice, for any reason and in the Company's sole discretion including, without limitation, if the Company believes the Member has:

e. Fraudulently claimed to qualify as a Rewarding Events Professional Meeting Planner to be eligible to earn any of the benefits offered to a Rewarding Events Professional Meeting Planner pursuant to the Loyalty Program;
EDIT: Misread some earlier comments and thought that six of the eight meetings posted under old terms (10 nights); upon re-read, I'm not necessarily sure this is the case and if any posted.

Even the old terms gave language latitude for them to potentially close accounts:

Originally Posted by MR Old T&C
The Company reserves the right to reject applications for Membership, to revoke, cancel or suspend any Rewards Program Membership, elite membership status (including Lifetime Silver, Lifetime Gold and Lifetime Platinum status), Reward, and/or any and all unredeemed Points or Miles, or take other action at its discretion, at any time with immediate effect and without written notice or liability to any Member, if Company believes: (a) the Member has (1) violated any of the Program Rules, (2) failed to pay any bills or accounts due to the Company or a participating hotel or any ownership related fees owed to Marriott Vacation Club, (3) acted in a manner inconsistent with applicable law, regulations or ordinances, (4) engaged in any misconduct or wrongdoing in connection with the Rewards Program, including without limitation, involving Point credit, Mile credit, Reward use, or Member benefits, or (5) engaged in abusive, fraudulent, inappropriate, or hostile conduct in connection with the Rewards Program, the participating hotels or their guests or employees, or the Company or its employees; or (b) Company's provision of the Rewards Program and/or any associated benefits (including but not limited to Points or Miles) to Member may violate any applicable laws to which Company is subject from time to time.
If any of those meetings were no-show, they may consider is to be behavior as bolded above. And both the old and new T&C contain language to Marriott's benefit on how the language is interpreted:

Originally Posted by Old MR T&C
To the extent permitted by applicable laws, the Company has the sole discretion to interpret and apply the Program Rules.
Originally Posted by New MR T&C
All interpretations of these Loyalty Program Rules regarding membership are at the Company’s sole discretion, and the Company’s decisions will be final. In the event of any discrepancy between the English version and any translated version of these Program Rules, the English language version will govern.
The old Rewarding events (pre-08/18) wasn't really fully integrated in the T&C. Instead, the terms were listed on another page (archived copy here), which stated that meetings should post within 7-10 business days. 10 business days before 08/18 was Monday August 6th. So waiting to book just before 08/18 was pretty risky when the program changes were known (if debated as to exact language meaning).

Last edited by phltraveler; Sep 11, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Any confirmation that isn't detailed and in writing is worthless. Sure, some one can feel wronged but I'd personally be very hesitant to escalate the issue unless I was the guy with no stays, points or loyalty with Marriott. It wouldn't be worth the risk to me.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:45 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by iusb
If one is MR gold (from SPG gold) check in before 8/18, enjoy breakfast (scheming the system?), then when he check out after 8/18, can hotel charge him all the breakfast before 8/18? Since after 8/18, his SPG gold can't qualify him for free breakfast. Per your logic, any stay prior to 8/18 got exactly what someone paid for -- a room, the status perk associated with those room changed on aug 18. Therefor when check out after 8/18 (like meeting held/paid before 8/18 but post into system after 8/18) , they don't deserved what they were entitled to before 8/18, so pay up all the perks happen before 8/18?
First, your query has nothing to do with events/meetings.

Second, as per my logic and presumably anyone else’s, anyone with a certain status before Aug 18 will have had certain benefits as per that status—only up to Aug 18. On Aug 18, new status rules and benefits apply.

No, they don’t deserve what they were entitled to before. They deserve only what the new rules allow. And anyone who has blatantly attempted to game the rules beyond their spirit is in jeopardy of Marriott voiding their accounts and benefits, as well. In the most recent case being discussed, I’d applaud Marriott for doing so.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:13 pm

First, your query has nothing to do with events/meetings.

Second, as per my logic and presumably anyone else’s, anyone with a certain status before Aug 18 will have had certain benefits as per that status—only up to Aug 18. On Aug 18, new status rules and benefits apply.

No, they don’t deserve what they were entitled to before. They deserve only what the new rules allow. And anyone who has blatantly attempted to game the rules beyond their spirit is in jeopardy of Marriott voiding their accounts and benefits, as well. In the most recent case being discussed, I’d applaud Marriott for doing so.
So Marriott runs a promotion giving 5000 bonus points and double elite credits per night stay until 30 Sep. Someone stays 15 Sep but stay posts in October. They are not entitled to the points and double elite credits?

You also don't seem to know what an analogy is.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Do you really think they care about giving the status? I dont know what this guys potential travel expenditures would be but at present Marriott have a minimum $800 for basically nothing. That buys a lot of breakfasts. The rest of the benefits are minimal in terms of expenditure so if it encourages him to stay then they actually do well out of it. If he doesnt plan to have many stays per year he would be just better off paying for breakfast or a club room. Marriott ran the benefit for a long time and it didnt seem to worry them so a final straggler should not be high on their priorities when there are bigger problems afoot with the integration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.