Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Marriott feels like a low cost airline. When it works it works. When it doesn't work it's a mess and no help at all from CS.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by JackE
A meeting needs none of the things you are looking for.

I just ran a real meeting and had no need of catering, AV, parking, or rooms. I didn't even overnight at the property myself.
Well basically this too. Not sure what kind of meetings you guys are holding. It doesn't have to be a party / wedding. It could just be a discussion.

Also, imagine Marriott had a promotion - stay until September 30 for 5000 bonus points a stay. You finish a stay but it goes missing and takes them until the 8th August to post it. Should the person be awarded the 5000 bonus points still? Of course, right.

So Marriott ran a promotion with 10 EQNs per meeting until 18 Aug. Is the person qualified for 10 EQN even though the meeting took until 27 Aug to post?

What's the difference? Here we have terms changing and removal of benefits. The promotion with the stay also has no bonus points based on the terms based on benefits being outside the t and c. We should base off stay date not post date.

Imagine again Marriott doesn't provide a member breakfast at all. They complain about the Platinum benefits guarantee. Ten days later Marriott removes the breakfast benefit, hotel says 'screw you'.

​​​​​This is downright wrong, not to mention illegal. You are free to change the rules, but you can't retroactively apply rules AFTER a contract has already been fulfilled on one side.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Before you email the CEO, you may want to email [email protected]. They have been very helpful with other issues related to Rewarding Events.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mingzie
This is downright wrong, not to mention illegal. You are free to change the rules, but you can't retroactively apply rules AFTER a contract has already been fulfilled on one side.
Does the meeting contract specify 10 EQN? I’m not sure about that.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:08 am
CL9

Programs: MR Platinum, QRPC Platinum
Originally Posted by Brosson
Just adding for information here. I have 2 meetings I am trying to get credit for that took place pre Aug 18 but posted after. Both posted with points but no EQN. I did actually get an email reply today from the rewards email they are working with the hotel on the credit. Not sure this is the hotel’s problem but I guess we will see in 3-5 days they recommended I wait.
Thanks for the update.
I have also 2 meetings (pre Aug) where I got points put no EQN.
So I will wait until you get any new information, please keep us up to date.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by getagb

Does the meeting contract specify 10 EQN? I’m not sure about that.
The contract is with the hotel and never mention nights because the hotel doesn't award nights, however the contract does stipulate these are Rewarding Events. Marriott specified Rewarding Events would earn blah blah blah points and 10 nights credit each. No minimum spend, no minimum guests; nothing except holding an event. As such the event, run under the old system, should be entitled to the policies in play at the time which is 10 nights.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Another thread might shed light on this one.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...l#post30190021

Marriott's response to the OP there was:

As part of our loyalty program merger on 8/18, the current balance of Starpoints for our legacy Starwood Preferred Guest members was multiplied by three as a one-time conversion. Any earnings of reward points after this conversion took place are based on the new program. This includes Best Rate Guarantee claims. As points post after the stay takes place, they are posted based on the current parameters of the loyalty program. We can no longer post 2,000 Starpoints as Starpoints have been retired. The current reward for approved Best Rate Guarantee claims is 5,000 reward points so this is what will be accrued for your stay.
I apologize for any inconvenience and disappointment this may cause you, but this is our protocol for all claims that fall within this situation of being approved prior to the merger but posting after the merger is complete.
Marriott has erred in both of these cases IMO.

bolding mine
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Curious ... what kind of event? Presumably you had a decent catering bill for your group. I'm also assuming the venue worked with you on the AV, parking, room organization, etc.

If you could provide that information, others could provide more insight into your situation.
Most conference room use of mine at hotels and elsewhere requires no catering, no borrowed AV equipment, no parking and no special room organization.

The entitlement to the Marriott room night credits for my conference facility use at hotels wasn’t generally contingent upon running up unnecessary charges and making excessive demands of the hotels.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:50 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
I can empathise with the OP as I imagine that it could be me posting this thread if somehow all my 8 meetings got posted after the merger and yielding me 0 or 10 nights.

Back to topic. Be it an IT issue or a post merger issue the main problem is with the lack off (or none of it) communication. I see FTers logging cases into a black hole or answers from CSRs that are clueless themselves.
There is probably a ton of other issues to solve (missing points, wrong status, missing stays, booking issues list goes on ...) despite being 3 weeks in I would drop a constructive to their CEO too.

Good luck !
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:25 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
I think it is you who needs to chill. You are insulting everyone who posts but it was you asking for advice. The way you come across makes me think Marriott would be quite happy to lose your custom!
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fdem
I think it is you who needs to chill. You are insulting everyone who posts but it was you asking for advice. The way you come across makes me think Marriott would be quite happy to lose your custom!
Amen to that...as I recall, one catches more flies with honey than vinegar
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by mingzie
Well basically this too. Not sure what kind of meetings you guys are holding. It doesn't have to be a party / wedding. It could just be a discussion.

Also, imagine Marriott had a promotion - stay until September 30 for 5000 bonus points a stay. You finish a stay but it goes missing and takes them until the 8th August to post it. Should the person be awarded the 5000 bonus points still? Of course, right.

So Marriott ran a promotion with 10 EQNs per meeting until 18 Aug. Is the person qualified for 10 EQN even though the meeting took until 27 Aug to post?

What's the difference? Here we have terms changing and removal of benefits. The promotion with the stay also has no bonus points based on the terms based on benefits being outside the t and c. We should base off stay date not post date.

Imagine again Marriott doesn't provide a member breakfast at all. They complain about the Platinum benefits guarantee. Ten days later Marriott removes the breakfast benefit, hotel says 'screw you'.

​​​​​This is downright wrong, not to mention illegal. You are free to change the rules, but you can't retroactively apply rules AFTER a contract has already been fulfilled on one side.
Since you don't want to provide the information normally exchanged on FT by those asking for advice, I'm assuming that you had something like a couple of $75 meetings a Fairfield Inns solely for the purpose of getting 20 nights credits. If we're all honest, we'd acknowledge that it is this type of behavior that has led Marriott to change the program. Further, to the extent your complaint reached Marriott executives (which seems unlikely), it would color their view of the program.

In contrast, you might be well advised to let people who had real meetings and who really stay at Marriott's drive this issue. They will have much more credibility than someone with no demonstrated loyalty to Marriott. Some of those individuals stay 75 nights a year and would like credit for the real meetings they organized. You will likely benefit for their efforts although your efforts could hurt everyone's chances.

I'm not a meeting organizer but I have had dozens of meetings at hotels over the years. The vast majority (but not all) impose a minimum catering spend and have AV charges, even if you use your own. I've always let others get credits for the meetings.

Patience is a virtue. I still have one post 8/18 stay with three nights and a few thousand points that hasn't credited but I'm not constantly calling or emailing. I presume they'll get it fixed within the next week or two.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
With all due respect, we're not throwing mud but simply asking a question that OP doesn't seem to want to answer.

For example, I asked one of our marketing folks to organize a breakfast meeting. They checked out a couple of venues and gave me a budget. I didn't tell them to book it in my name or to pick Marriott over Hilton as I would be uncomfortable doing so. I'm definitely not a professional meeting organizer and think that both Marriott and Hilton offer various incentives to hold these meetings at their property.

Here OP is asking for our advice on how to pursue a refund. Before we can advise, we should hear from OP regarding the nature of catering, AV, etc. If OP spent $1000-1500 on a meeting and the property didn't properly cater or support the meeting, we'd like to help and offer our ideas. Of course, its helpful if OP describes the situation and property in case some of us want to take those comments into consideration if we are considering holding a meeting at that venue.
i think its pretty evident that the op held a couple of $75-$100 'meetings' with no catering & av spend, just for the purpose of getting the 20 night elite credit....but how much spent & the purpose for the meeting is not in question here....marriott has been awarding 10 elite qualifying nights per meeting for such type of 'meetings' for years & ideally they should honour that for the op if these 'meetings' took place before august 18th....

also, on another note, its possible to have genuine meetings or book event space without having to spend $1,000-$1,500 per event....for years my firm has been using hotel conference rooms to hold mediation & arbitration hearings....rooms are rented anywhere from an hour to 4 hours for amounts that range from $100 - $400....this amount includes tea/coffee service & there is no need for any other catering, av, etc....these meetings are attended by as little as 3-4 people & as many as a dozen people...

i've been holding these events at spg properties for years & have been receiving points....i never bothered to check if i would get elite qualifying nights for these events because i never had the need for them....a few months ago i heard about rewarding events & decided to hold my next meeting at a marriott property to see how well it works....the event was a mediation hearing that was attended by 4 people, lasted about an hour, didn't have the need for any catering or av & cost $150....i asked for a contract before the event took place but the event person at the hotel had never seen a rewarding events contract before & she did not feel the need to mention 10 elite qualifying nights as a benefit....when i asked about it she made tons of excuses like there being a minimum spend requirement or a minimum number of people needed to attend, etc....i pointed out that none of that was the case with rewarding events & at the end of the day she emailed me saying that i would be entitled to all benefits as per the rewarding events program....

i went ahead with the event but never got the points nor the elite qualifying nights for 6 weeks....after following up with the property a couple of times i decided to escalate the matter with marriott....they opened up a ticket & a few days later i got the points but not the 10 nights....i decided to follow up one last time & marriott said they could either open up another ticket & contact the property again or they could offer me 15k bonus points for the inconvenience & close the matter here....i decided to take the points as the 10 nights mean nothing to me (i already have well over 100 nights for the year & 750+ nights for ltpp qualification)....

so my only experience with rewarding events has not been good & i've gone back to holding my events at spg legacy properties & have had a few more since this disappointing event at the marriott property....but once again, these have been genuine events costing between $100-$400 with no extra spend on catering, av, etc....

Last edited by Keyser; Sep 11, 2018 at 9:42 am
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Bigger picture?

I know this is FT, but let's look at some facts:
MR/SPG merger has a ton of issues needing to be addressed following the migration of accounts to the new platform (account data missing, miscalculated, accounts locked out). IT is scrambling to fix.
Reservations are not posting to the accounts correctly (using old SPG numbers, going to different accounts than expected, missing components). IT is scrambling to fix.
Members are calling in about known issues but are impatient since it's their account at issue. IT is scrambling to fix.
All legacy systems (i.e, CC account credits) need updated with new account numbers, especially where member has combined accounts. IT is scrambling to fix.
Members are combining accounts making accounts a moving target where corrections are needed. IT is trying to address.

IT needs to prioritize what gets attention first and work their way through the list. There are solutions for all of this. I can see them holding up batch processing to reduce the number of moving parts to chase down. I can also see some of the processes being put in place before they should have been (like the new Rewarding Events rules being applied to previous events and blocking the nights). It it wasn't MR, I would believe they are aware of these issues and they will be addressed as they get to the end of the priority issues. Given, as I suspect, they are rushing to address the more urgent issues, I would suggest holding off pushing on anything that is not absolutely urgent to be resolved. Maybe as they have been assessing these problems a process to allow the CSRs, or speciality team, to go in and make appropriate adjustments. And most importantly educate their staff what issues are still outstanding and how to address issues.

So for now, I suggest chill. Keep notes about what has happened and what is missing. With the volume they are dealing with right now, you might not like their response.
bhrubin and xar like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Now that this has been merged into the existing thread, the whole thing is becoming more clear. Posts 201 and beyond are quite telling as to why this is an issue.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30139024-post201.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30139398-post206.html

Also seems you knew this might be an issue:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30142920-post211.html

Did you receive 10 nights for your first meeting at some point before these last 2? I seems you know the problem is receiving the nights’ credit for subsequent meetings. You tried to squeeze in a couple more cheapo meetings before August 18 just to try and get the 10 nights per and it has come back to bite you.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30151138-post220.html

Yet according to this https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30171804-post258.html,
It’s pretty obvious that for the new program, only the FIRST Qualifying Event of the year will earn 10 EQN now. After that, events only earn EQN based on the number of room nights consumed. It’s really that simple.”

And https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30180939-post265.html which you quoted and responded to so you know this may be the reason.
As I posted way in the predecessor thread, the fine print said that you'll get rewarded according to what the program is at the time your event posts.”

So that seems to be where your problem lies. It seems you may have gambled and lost. Or you can fight this to the death and get your 20 nights and bogus status for this year but, as others have said, is this really the fight you want to take to Marriott? Someone who booked several cheap, questionable ‘meetings’ just under the wire just to get status and is not really profitable to them as a frequent paying guest? Up to you but I wouldn’t want to shine that spotlight on myself.
C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.