Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by TheTravelPlaybook
Yes, apologies, meant to say nights. And yes, this is the first meeting of the year.
Next question: was it your first meeting ever?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Arne Sorenson is the CEO. You can email him. He won't read it but his exec assistants will & they'll see that it gets to the appropriate person to resolve. Make the email short/sweet/to the point. Don't say Marriott lied; say there's a misunderstanding that you hope they can resolve - do point out all this took place pre-08/18 & that you would appreciate their help in getting the appropriate things credited. His email is first name dot last name @ marriott dot com.
This is good advice, and especially the part I added bold to. In addition, OP you seem (perhaps rightfully) frustrated and upset, I'd suggest when you write the email save it as a draft then sleep on it before sending; avoid emotion or anger in your correspondence just outline the facts and clearly describe what you want (the EQNs, a refund is just silly IMO) as a resolution.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
The $100 meeting getting 10 nights elite credit was kind of an 'open secret' since it was pretty clearly disclosed here on Flyertalk. While I agree *technically* that it shouldn't matter what type of meeting you had BEFORE August 18, I feel it makes a big difference in Marriott's reaction. For example, if I was a wedding or other large event planner I would imagine Marriott would care about my business and be more open to playing by the rules they set. If not, I only imagine they could use the 'change rules at any time' that's likely buried in the fine print of this and every other program we sign up for.

I'm not saying its right either way, just saying why some others are asking that question. Some more rudely than others, for sure. From all the integration issues that are still affecting MANY users it could also simply be that whoever is getting these escalations simply hasn't gotten to the issue yet.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
OP seems to think Hilton is the cat's pajamas - maybe that is a better program for them
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Step by step data collection. ^
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Data point

Just adding for information here. I have 2 meetings I am trying to get credit for that took place pre Aug 18 but posted after. Both posted with points but no EQN. I did actually get an email reply today from the rewards email they are working with the hotel on the credit. Not sure this is the hotel’s problem but I guess we will see in 3-5 days they recommended I wait.
CL9 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
OP seems to think Hilton is the cat's pajamas - maybe that is a better program for them
You are free to throw as much ad hominem at me as you want. Just know it says more about you than me.

I don't have loyalty to any particular program, but at least other programs don't ignore me and treat me like dirt, and other subforums don't treat me like dirt for bringing up a legitimate issue

I don't get why the first response is to resort to mudslinging and patronising comments, rather than trying to urge Marriott to find a resolution.

Its the same attitude when people getting status road to challenges were not given their rightful Platinum / Platinum Premier and people just said 'deal with it' despite them deserving it. People are that selfish that they'll put others down before they help them up. If you don't believe me look at that thread before Marriott stepped in and corrected it and the sheer amount of mudslinging towards those who did Road Ofs

Last edited by mingzie; Sep 10, 2018 at 9:28 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Brosson
Just adding for information here. I have 2 meetings I am trying to get credit for that took place pre Aug 18 but posted after. Both posted with points but no EQN. I did actually get an email reply today from the rewards email they are working with the hotel on the credit. Not sure this is the hotel’s problem but I guess we will see in 3-5 days they recommended I wait.
Good luck w/ that! Marriott IT may be screwing up the OP's meeting as well as yours & it will get (eventually) get worked out. In your case at least you got a response. Part of the OP's frustration is no response.

Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
This is good advice, and especially the part I added bold to. In addition, OP you seem (perhaps rightfully) frustrated and upset, I'd suggest when you write the email save it as a draft then sleep on it before sending; avoid emotion or anger in your correspondence just outline the facts and clearly describe what you want (the EQNs, a refund is just silly IMO) as a resolution.
I will do so and send a polite email to the CEO. I am extremely frustrated and upset at the attitude of FlyerTalkers too. This is supposed to be a helpful forum instead its full of people making attacks arguing semantics over 'intention' despite a supposed 'loophole' running for 8 years in full sight of Marriott and well within their terms and conditions.

Also, it doesn't matter if you put a clause in saying you can change the terms and conditions at any time. This doesn't hold up in the eyes of the law despite its existence in terms and conditions.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

2. Agree. I (personally) think it was 100% nuts by MAR to implement a new program mid-year w/ some things till be considered if done by end of year & a new program name being implemented in 2019. IMO they should have announced mid-year & said hey, all this will happen 1/1/19. But alas, that ship has sailed.

Cheers.
I think the IT guys planned it so they would have it sorted by christmas. Imagine dealing with all this over New Year.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm not attacking OP. Just asking for more info that OP can share with others regarding the meeting and the property.

Of course, there is a potential problem that people holding two person meetings without any catering and constantly emailing CS leads to "cry wolf" syndrome that crowds the phone/email lines and leads CS to blow off people who held something other than a 2 person meeting
What are you on about? How is a 2 person meeting crying wolf?

Next, we will start to prioritise stays by spend and nights. Oh this person only stayed one night, who cares about their missing credit. Let's ignore them.

Customer service is customer service. They should be responding to and resolving ALL customer issues.

I don't owe anyone any explanation as to what meetings I had, as long as I turned up and played by the rules. It does not matter whether you had 50k of catering or $500 of catering, missing benefits are missing benefits. It doesn't say anywhere in the t&c that you need $10000 of catering for it to be a real rewarding events meeting.

The meetings were OFFICIALLY accepted and posted by the hotel under the rewarding events program using the Group Posting Tool. Everything else is irrelevant. You can pretend it is if it makes you feel better and have a 'one-up' on everyone missing their nights though. You are just not being a very pleasant human, anyone saying we don't deserve the nights is just selfish.

Like I said, remember the status challenge threads where golds and plats weren't being upgraded to plat and plat premier respectively and then you had a bunch of selfish people saying (you didn't earn it!!). Sheesh. There is enough breakfast to go around for everybody
​​​​​
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by stant
Why is this such a fight?
the pre aug 18th rules say (loosely) have a meeting - get 10 EQNs. This gave people a way to game the system and marriot looked the other way.
any reasonable person would understand that marriot holds all of the cards here. they can do pretty much whatever they want. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from saying 'paying the least you can for 1 room to sit in and twiddle your thumbs is not a 'meeting' so no EQNs for you - oh by the way, account closed'.

the OP did bring up 'the law', so while he might not have said 'omg ima sue!' the implication was at least there.
marriot didnt say they are going to close his account, but the new T&Cs DO say they will close the accounts of members who behave in a way that it looks like the OP (and many others) may have done.

I'm not attacking the guy. I'm simply not saying 'omg, big bad company lied, you are totally right!!!!!'.
marriot apparently has a dim view of this behavior right now, so I warned the guy in case he didnt know. thats it. thats all I did. nothing more. I was in good faith trying to look out for him.

for the sake of pete!
Yeah, that's why everyone thinks you're attacking me, and noone thinks I threatened to sue.

I have no idea what you are talking about re: my intention is there to sue. Like, seriously? Where in the heck did I even give the slight impression I was out to sue.

I mentioned 'the law' in response to people saying Marriott can change t and c as they wish and have them apply retroactively. Because you can't. You can't just change t and c one day and say every member owes you $1000 just because you changed the t and c, especially when you've signed and carried out a contract BEFORE it was changed. This doesn't hold up to law.

Get it out of your head that I said I was gonna sue or anything related to suing. Its a made up construct due to your incorrect interpretation and you are the only one who thought it.

You are not helping me, you are attacking me and putting words into my mouth. Most of the other people in the thread are actually helping me.

there IS something stopping them for putting t and c in retroactively and saying things.

Ex post facto laws are expressly forbidden by the United States Constitution in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 (with respect to federal laws) and Article 1, Section 10 (with respect to state laws

You can't just change what the heck you want and have them apply to past situations. That's like a company putting in t a and c saying everyone who had a meeting now owes Marriott $1,000,000

if you break your own t and c and promise at the time of the sale and contract. The customer should be entitled to a refund or what the cost of obtaining 20 EQN are.

​​​​​

Last edited by mingzie; Sep 10, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Curious ... what kind of event? Presumably you had a decent catering bill for your group. I'm also assuming the venue worked with you on the AV, parking, room organization, etc.

If you could provide that information, others could provide more insight into your situation.
A meeting needs none of the things you are looking for.

I just ran a real meeting and had no need of catering, AV, parking, or rooms. I didn't even overnight at the property myself.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sometimes it's just really hard to resist baiting the hook.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Yup, first meeting ever. Was 10 nights away from Platinum after the merge, this fit the bill!
xar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.