Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by stant
Well - I've regularly seen people talk about booking meetings specifically as a way to easily get status by essentially buying cheap EQNs. it's been talked about here, and on various travel blogs. And even if the poster in question *IS* legit, the new T&C give marriot a loophole big enough to drive a semi through should they want to take action against a member. And for that reason I'd be wary about making too much noise on this particular subject. And i'm the sort who normally holds a business to task when it comes to doing what they said they would.
You serious? You pretend that you hold a business to what they promise, but all you do is call me out for being not legit and defend Marriott to no end, for not holding their part

iT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MUCH ONE SPENT AND WHETHER THEIR GOAL WAS TO OBTAIN EQN FOR CHEAP, NOT HONORING IS NOT HONORING.

Based on that logic let's ban people who do mattress runs at $40 hotels, because their goal was cheap EQN not to stay
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by mingzie
Again, you are talking about post 18 Aug t and c. None of which apply to our cases.

I never said I didn't care about status. Stop putting words I'm other peoples mouths. I said I'd rather lose my account (FOR DOING WHAT?).

Geez, no logic whatsoever.
nothing in the current T&C says they cant go back to your behavior BEFORE the 18th and say - we dont like what you did, welcome to your new non-existent marriot rewards account. you might not like the idea, but I'm warning you what the current t & c says incase you dont know it, so that you can decide if you want to push the subject given how these new terms would make a reasonable reader think marriot views the practice (whether actual or only in appearance).

I didnt say you didnt care about status. I said you obviously did.

what might you lose your account over? i already told you. marriot apparently takes a dim view of people planning meetings just to get EQNs. thats why they added those terms to their T&C about meeting professionals.

dont get mad at me. i didnt take your EQNs away. I'm just warning you that there might be some risk to what you are doing. if you want to take that risk, by all means go right ahead.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
All meetings were booked and took place before the merger. As stated by Marriott, meetings before the merger would have the old t & c honoured.
How many meetings are we talking about here?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:08 pm

You serious? You pretend that you hold a business to what they promise, but all you do is call me out for being not legit and defend Marriott to no end, for not holding their part

iT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MUCH ONE SPENT AND WHETHER THEIR GOAL WAS TO OBTAIN EQN FOR CHEAP, NOT HONORING IS NOT HONORING.
Based on that logic let's ban people who do mattress runs at $40 hotels, because their goal was cheap EQN not to stay
according to the new t&c it does. i'm not calling you out. it makes no difference to me if you get 10 EQNs - or if you lose your account. I'm just giving you some good faith advise to consider. calm down and do just that.

did marriot not do what they said they would? YES, it seems so. would i risk my status to make a point? NO. If you want to, by all means...

they HAVE banned people from taking $40 mattress runs... if they dont actually stay in the property. Plenty get away with it, but thats not the point. your intent DOES matter.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
How many meetings are we talking about here?
Only 2.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:12 pm

according to the new t&c it does. i'm not calling you out. it makes no difference to me if you get 10 EQNs - or if you lose your account. I'm just giving you some good faith advise to consider. calm down and do just that.

did marriot not do what they said they would? YES, it seems so. would i risk my status to make a point? NO. If you want to, by all means...

they HAVE banned people from taking $40 mattress runs... if they dont actually stay in the property. Plenty get away with it, but thats not the point. your intent DOES matter.
Lol, people banned for taking $40 mattress runs. Alright, now you're just talking out of your behind.
​​​​
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Only 2.
So ... with basic catering and av, sounds like you spent at least $2,500. Any problems with the av or catering? Did you tell the property about it at the time? What was their response?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:17 pm

Lol, people banned for taking $40 mattress runs. Alright, now you're just talking out of your behind.
​​​​
if you book a stay and do not stay in the hotel, butts in bed as they say - you are at risk for not getting credit for the stay you paid for. do people get away with it? yes. all the time. but thats not the point. your intent DOES matter. you might not think it does, but marriot disagrees. (so did starwood)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:20 pm

if you book a stay and do not stay in the hotel, butts in bed as they say - you are at risk for not getting credit for the stay you paid for. do people get away with it? yes. all the time. but thats not the point. your intent DOES matter. you might not think it does, but marriot disagrees. (so did starwood)
How's that got anything to do with booking a meeting and attending a meeting?

Thats right, nothing.

Intent doesn't matter.. If you follow the rules. This is why Iberia honored their 9000 point promotion. Can you PLEASE stop clouding this thread with your irrelevant banter and accusations. This thread is about people missing benefits, not your opinion on why they shouldn't chase what they're entitled to.

By the way, you can't just change rules and have then retroactively apply to a contract signed before the rules were changed. That's not how law works, you can add terms in as much as you want saying you can change anything, doesn't mean it holds up.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
How's that got anything to do with booking a meeting and attending a meeting?

Thats right, nothing.

Intent doesn't matter.. If you follow the rules. Can you PLEASE stop clouding this thread with your irrelevant banter and accusations
But you seem to be avoiding describing the meeting ...
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
But you seem to be avoiding describing the meeting ...
You posted that 5 minutes ago, while I had three other replies. Maybe relax a little?

This is a bit pathetic and shows how selfish people are. As long as they're not affected throw people under the bus and hope they don't get what you have
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Were yours 'real meetings' versus 'grab 10nights for plat ' w/o stays meeting of 1x person, no catering, no reservation for a cheap rmeeting ate as low as $75100 for /10nights credit. ?

You have my sympathy/support only if needing nn x10night boosts to hit old MR LTG/LTP/LTPP before Dec2018 and thus using the meeting trick

but not if trying for MR-PP status for 2018 and 2019 with only 20 or so ROOM nights year booked, even though MR knew and allowed all these past years
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Enough w/ the tossing mud against the OP.

The OP doesn't owe us an explanation re: the meeting. Even if it was booked solely to get the 10 nights credit etc etc, Marriott at the time had a legitimate program which allowed someone to book a meeting that garnered them 10 nights/credit per meeting.Marriott itself created that program.

If the OP met the T&Cs of the program that Marriott itself created, then the OP is owed the 10 nights credit. It's as simple as that.

To the OP - trying to get a refund (IMO) is nuts on your part. If you did hold the meeting, there's nothing to refund. Trying to get the 10 nights credit, however, is valid. Focus your attention on that.

Cheers.
jeanie, cruisr, jrm68 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
what might you lose your account over? i already told you. marriot apparently takes a dim view of people planning meetings just to get EQNs. thats why they added those terms to their T&C about meeting professionals.
Except the old Rewarding Events program was around for years. They could have easily put a stop to it long ago but never did. I think the Platinum Status In $800 thread was started in 2008 or so and was Stickied...its not like it was a secret.

OP, did you have a contract stating the EQNs that would be earned?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Post #10 answered the OP's question. Email the CEO. Even though he won't read the email, the people that will could be able to assist here. Asking for the nights instead of a refund, as SkiAdcock suggested, sounds like the best plan here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.