Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by NJNY
For my meeting held on the 17th, posted on the 20th, I called back since I didn't see any updates by their original window.

Rep insisted the problem is that the hotel did not process the meeting, and they reached out to the hotel to have it posted, and they have a due date of 9/3.
I said, not true, the meeting was posted and I can see it.
She said, no it is not showing up. We went back and forth that way a few times.
She: wait, I meant to say that there was a work request sent to the dept that does this [not the hotel] but we have to wait to hear back from them, and the due date is 9/3.
Me: okay great, I would like to be transferred to someone in that department
She: no, that department doesn't speak to people. They are back office, like IT. We just send them work requests.
Me: Ok then I'd like to speak with a supervisor.
She: I am a supervisor, actually a manager, and there is no one higher in this department.

So I give up. I doubt these will ever be processed and at this point I will consider it a nice surprise if it ever shows up.
so can we get a refund considering we booked under the old terms?

marriott did not deliver what was promised, and this is an incentive that would cause people to choose to book an event
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:35 pm

All of my meetings were completed August 13 and none have posted

Already followed up with hotel and loyalty department ( have a case number) and still nothing
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I did ask my Ambassador today about whether or not I can host my first meeting at a Marriott hotel now and earn the 10 elite nights now that the merger has happened. (I have 9 years Platinum towards Lifetime status, and have 60 legacy Marriott nights this year, so another 15 legacy Marriott nights will earn me my 10th year of Platinum for Lifetime Plat Premier status.) I

also asked her if she could get an answer on whether the first meeting is ONLY the first meeting (per year) or not. Here's hoping I can get an answer for everyone!
Did you ask her if she could be assigned to me?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:44 pm

Still no luck, have stays tomorrow too.

no reply to emails after 5 days phone calls are completely useless

Oh well..
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:54 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by mingzie
so can we get a refund considering we booked under the old terms?

marriott did not deliver what was promised, and this is an incentive that would cause people to choose to book an event
Say you hosted a meeting and people attended at the local Marriott. Room space provided and hotel cleaned up after your guests.What remains is the points and nights credit. So I don't think you can argue for a full refund for the service provided.

For those who did meeting runs and not show up, the franchisee hotel will be in a sticky situation if you issue a charge back through credit card saying nothing happened - like you didn't sign any papers, you didn't show up, you're nowhere near the area of the meeting that day.,.etc..etc. You'll get the refund. The franchisee can either eat cake (because they got warned that the customer need to show up or at least people need to show up if they called in about Group Posting Tools) or lobby Marriott Corp to do something to the Marriott member.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by yeunganson
The franchisee can either eat cake (because they got warned that the customer need to show up or at least people need to show up if they called in about Group Posting Tools) or lobby Marriott Corp to do something to the Marriott member.
I only remember one person relating their experience of being told this by the hotel and it not only struck me at the time that this was a way to politely tell someone to screw off but it flies in the face of many other's experiences. Similar to the multitudes of clear bullcrap that's been told by many a phone agent I'd hold off on giving that particular statement any credence. I believe the poster was told this, but I don't believe for a moment that Marriott related the info to the hotel.

[mine]
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:41 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I only remember one person relating their experience of being told this by the hotel and it not only struck me at the time that this was a way to politely tell someone to screw off but it flies in the face of many other's experiences. Similar to the multitudes of clear bullcrap that's been told by many a phone agent I'd hold off on giving that particular statement any credence. I believe the poster was told this, but I don't believe for a moment that Marriott related the info to the hotel.

[mine]
My experience of the franchisee hotline was use the Group Posting Tool with meetings and I need to have hotel room bookings. I recall a few in the $800 to Plat staus forum claims their hotel staff gave the member such reply.

Let's not get distracted on my main point. The main point is those with no show can issue a charge-back and the hotel is pretty screwed. I don't think the credit card company is going to accept no meeting, no person, nothing happened and just an email the hotel is authorized to charge for the meeting charge. The hotel is likely going to lose the charge back and get a penalty for having such problem. I am not confident enough that credit card and status maximizers can resist the greed temptation and not attempt this. Just need to create enough charge backs so hotel learn their lesson and Marriott would do something about it on the corporate end - like a freeze or audit on those members that do charge-backs.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
My experience of the franchisee hotline was use the Group Posting Tool with meetings and I need to have hotel room bookings. I recall a few in the $800 to Plat staus forum claims their hotel staff gave the member such reply.
They may have received such a response but it was factually incorrect.

Let's not get distracted on my main point. The main point is those with no show can issue a charge-back and the hotel is pretty screwed. I don't think the credit card company is going to accept no meeting, no person, nothing happened and just an email the hotel is authorized to charge for the meeting charge. The hotel is likely going to lose the charge back and get a penalty for having such problem. I am not confident enough that credit card and status maximizers can resist the greed temptation and not attempt this. Just need to create enough charge backs so hotel learn their lesson and Marriott would do something about it on the corporate end - like a freeze or audit on those members that do charge-backs.
There's no distraction, my point is part and parcel of what's going on. Do you think the credit card will initiate a charge back if there's no prior correspondence or other attempt by designee to cancel the meeting prior to the time and date set? What if the contract specifies a cancel by time? Further, there is nothing in the contract that specifies any necessity to show that I've seen and I've read a few different versions of Banquet orders and RE contracts.

IMO the only way forward is to pressure the hotel to use the GPT and, sadly, this is the only recourse. But if anyone chooses to take your advice I'd love to hear of the outcome.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:22 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I think some people have gone ‘round the bend over not-yet-posted meetings.

I think its it’s fair to say that meetings not yet posting are consistent with stays not yet posting, not to mention all manner of other IT problems. It isn’t a conspiracy. It’s more than likely just a continuation of the IT problems plaguing the merged systems.

The hyperbole and conspiracy theories are good in OMNI. Let’s leave them there.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think some people have gone ‘round the bend over not-yet-posted meetings.

I think its it’s fair to say that meetings not yet posting are consistent with stays not yet posting, not to mention all manner of other IT problems. It isn’t a conspiracy. It’s more than likely just a continuation of the IT problems plaguing the merged systems.

The hyperbole and conspiracy theories are good in OMNI. Let’s leave them there.
Its nothing to do with stays not posting. Anyone who booked their first meeting of the year received their 10 nights. This has been specifically coded in by Marriott to exclude any meetings beyond the first. They've had more than a year to code in this one line condition (yes its one line of code saying if meeting date less than merger date).

​​​its not a conspiracy that Marriott are not handling it for us and brushing us off. And looking at all the other issues where they screwed customers, ain't nothing gonna happen unless you make noise. They will gladly give their customers the short end of the stick.

Telling us to stop since you weren't affected by the issue when its real money we're all spending here (regardless of how small it is relative to your point of view as it includes those who spent thousands) is pointless.

We've had rep confirmation that all meetings ​​​​​​booked and taking place before the merger will have old t and c honoured.

is it an IT issue? Possibly, who knows. But it doesnt matter, were losing out on benefits that we've earned every day that this isn't handled for us. For some its 'meh', for others its a 5 night $700 rack rate suite upgrade given to a PP instead.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
For some its 'meh', for others its a 5 night $700 rack rate suite upgrade given to a PP instead.
so ... is it your concern that someone who actually spends 75 to 150 nights in Starriott properties is getting the upgrade over someone who spends a few nights and had some a few $100 "meetings?"
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
so ... is it your concern that someone who actually spends 75 to 150 nights in Starriott properties is getting the upgrade over someone who spends a few nights and had some a few $100 "meetings?"
*rolls eyes* not this topic again
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
As much as I like to empathize with your view - i think it is up to the discretion of the end user on how he plays they system as long as Ts & Cs are met.

Say a coffee shop offers a loyalty like you get 1 free drink after 9 drinks.

Some may be buying 9 fancy (also costly) drinks and takes the free fancy drink; another segment of users might be buying 9 cheapest drip coffee and take a free "fancy drink."

After all its upto the end customer; to each to their own.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:57 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Its nothing to do with stays not posting. Anyone who booked their first meeting of the year received their 10 nights. This has been specifically coded in by Marriott to exclude any meetings beyond the first. They've had more than a year to code in this one line condition (yes its one line of code saying if meeting date less than merger date).

​​​its not a conspiracy that Marriott are not handling it for us and brushing us off. And looking at all the other issues where they screwed customers, ain't nothing gonna happen unless you make noise. They will gladly give their customers the short end of the stick.

Telling us to stop since you weren't affected by the issue when its real money we're all spending here (regardless of how small it is relative to your point of view as it includes those who spent thousands) is pointless.[/

We've had rep confirmation that all meetings ​​​​​​booked and taking place before the merger will have old t and c honoured.

is it an IT issue? Possibly, who knows. But it doesnt matter, were losing out on benefits that we've earned every day that this isn't handled for us. For some its 'meh', for others its a 5 night $700 rack rate suite upgrade given to a PP instead.
I am affected. I have 60 nights legacy Marriott for 2018 and need to reach 75 nights to get my 10th year of combined Platinum in order to qualify for Lifetime Platinum Premier status in January.

You’ve confirmed that meetings booked and held before Aug 18 will receive elite credit as per the old T&C, which is pretty obvious to me, too. So I am assuming once Marriott gets its IT sorted, you will receive your elite credits for those meetings. All discussions to the contrary aren’t going to change the IT mess delaying that nor the ultimate outcome.

Of course it’s an IT issue. There are so many IT issues now that it should be obvious.

It’s not a conspiracy.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
EVENT DATES: 08/11/2018 - 08/11/2018

DATE POSTED: 08/30/2018

BASE POINTS EARNED: 240
ELITE POINTS EARNED: 60
PURCHASED BONUS POINTS: 0
PURCHASED DOUBLE & TRIPLE POINTS: 0
TOTAL EARNED & PURCHASED POINTS: 300
ELITE QUALIFYING NIGHTS:

Mine posted with 0 nights. Boo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.