Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:23 am

Thanks for the links. I’ve read it extensively but still no clear answer for the question I had on this thread.

I supposed I’m not the only one in confusion over the changes.

Pity Marriott didnt make this like it used to be. I would’ve moved all my meetings to Marriott.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Good idea to post in the existing thread instead of starting a new one.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
So I called last week to try and get the nights credit for my meeting on the 17th. CSR said she submitted a work request. Called back today and this CSR said the work request was sent to the wrong department, but she has now filed it correctly and it should process within 48 hours. I very much doubt that, and I expect the story will change if I have to call back in another week.
edcho and RafKa like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:21 pm

So noone has had luck so far?

Seems like customer service on phone is just brushing us off to get their KPI up.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mingzie
So noone has had luck so far?

Seems like customer service on phone is just brushing us off to get their KPI up.
At least brushing off is better than making stuff up.
RogerD408, cruisr and phltraveler like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Alaska Air
Had second meeting 8/16. Group posting tool entered on 8/22. Zero elite qualifying nights.

Followed up with hotel. They explained that Marriott's position is that nights only will be awarded for events that were entered into group posting tool prior to changeover, even if the meeting washeld prior to change.

Anybody get different results?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by wildway
Had second meeting 8/16. Group posting tool entered on 8/22. Zero elite qualifying nights.

Followed up with hotel. They explained that Marriott's position is that nights only will be awarded for events that were entered into group posting tool prior to changeover, even if the meeting washeld prior to change.

If the hotel did GPT, they have zero ability to change the number of nights awarded. EQNs were never picked by the hotel by a dropdown, the GPT signaled to Marriott that the meeting was held and then Marriott decided how to award points/nights.

Follow up via the Marriott Rewards phone #.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by wildway

Sounds like they are pushing these events off for now while other issues are being dealt with. It's been funny, but I'm sure frustrating, hearing all the excuses being made. It would save a lot of effort if they'd come up with one story (hopefully the truth) and pass it out to everyone. Hey, here's a novel idea, communicate it with your customers!!!

Don't give up, you are entitled to those nights per the program rules. It just might take a while to find someone willing to walk them through the system. Keep notes with dates and names so it's obvious you've been trying. Good luck.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:12 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
If i have already gotten my 10 nights before the merger (i.e. old program) do you think i can still qualify for 10 more in the new program?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by xar
If i have already gotten my 10 nights before the merger (i.e. old program) do you think i can still qualify for 10 more in the new program?
There are some of us that believe the answer is yes, there are some that will say no. Given the current SNAFU, I'd suggest holding off to see what happens with the existing missing posts and things settle down in general.
cruisr, phltraveler and xar like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by xar
That depends on the person and how they read the T&Cs.

I would say no, based on my reading/interpretation of the 08/18 MR Terms and Conditions regarding Rewarding Events - that the 10 EQNs applies to either only the first meeting ever or first meeting of the year. @RogerD408 would say yes - based on his reading/interpretation of the same T&Cs effective 08/18, the 10 EQNs applies per separate contract.
We both agree that there is potential ambiguity in the language which needs clarification by Marriott.
@wt286021788 reported upthread here that his second meeting of the year (first meeting occured and posted pre-08/18, second meeting occurred pre-08/18 but posted after 08/18) that the second meeting granted no qualifying nights.
I take this as evidence that only the first meeting (either per year or ever - terms ambiguous) gets 10 nights. @RogerD408 interprets this as a potential IT bug, like the current/lifetime status issues, that is not a priority (e.g. meeting nights posted by rewarding events are not high up the list like the member status issues ) to fix.
Either interpretation could theoretically be correct.

All I can tell you is that this has been debated to death, and if the 10 nights is make-or-break on the decision to hold a meeting under Rewarding Events, you're best off waiting until Marriott clarifies this.
RogerD408, xar and wt286021788 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by phltraveler
That depends on the person and how they read the T&Cs.

I would say no, based on my reading/interpretation of the 08/18 MR Terms and Conditions regarding Rewarding Events - that the 10 EQNs applies to either only the first meeting ever or first meeting of the year. @RogerD408 would say yes - based on his reading/interpretation of the same T&Cs effective 08/18, the 10 EQNs applies per separate contract.
We both agree that there is potential ambiguity in the language which needs clarification by Marriott.
@wt286021788 reported upthread here that his second meeting of the year (first meeting occured and posted pre-08/18, second meeting occurred pre-08/18 but posted after 08/18) that the second meeting granted no qualifying nights.
I take this as evidence that only the first meeting (either per year or ever - terms ambiguous) gets 10 nights. @RogerD408 interprets this as a potential IT bug, like the current/lifetime status issues, that is not a priority (e.g. meeting nights posted by rewarding events are not high up the list like the member status issues ) to fix.
Either interpretation could theoretically be correct.

All I can tell you is that this has been debated to death, and if the 10 nights is make-or-break on the decision to hold a meeting under Rewarding Events, you're best off waiting until Marriott clarifies this.
I have tried to reach out the Marriott rewards customer service again and again. As of now, I still haven't received the elite nights for my second meeting, which is the first meeting posted after Aug 18th. So I would suggest NO as of now.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:26 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by phltraveler
If the hotel did GPT, they have zero ability to change the number of nights awarded. EQNs were never picked by the hotel by a dropdown, the GPT signaled to Marriott that the meeting was held and then Marriott decided how to award points/nights.

Follow up via the Marriott Rewards phone #.
I agree with this. The Group Posting Tool used for Rewarding Events doesn't have fields on how many night credits and or how many points to give. It break down with field entry on rooms booked, revenue from rooms, revenue from meeting rooms, revenue from food, revenue from audio-equipment..etc Some fields are suppose to be mandatory (not allowed to left blank) but...bad programming allows blank to go through. Such detailed breakdown is suppose to be use for stats and business analytics. No doubt with the addition of "meeting runs" is corrupting the data by having meetings that are 0 room revenue, 0 food catering, 0 Audio/Video...etc. So I know the merger was a great time to fix this. Franchisee hotels normally have an Event Coordinator use the tool, the submission then goes to some senior staff for approval in the hotel internal controls. Then the file gets electronic submitted along with franchisee's portion of $$$$ (percentage fee the Marriott HQ charges for participating in the Rewarding Event program), the whole thing submits to Marriott HQ. HQ takes the submission and tally up the revenue in US dollars and credit the user the points and the nights.

When you stay in a hotel, Marriott Hotel use a different interface called e-bonus to post points and nights - this is where the hotel franchisee need to pony cash to Corporate Marriott to pay for your points and pay for your night credit. For a $100 "meeting runs", the manager would likely have lost hotel money if they use e-bonus to pay for the points and 10 nights for the meeting holder.

I do believe if you held a wedding, a corporate retreat and such and brought spent few thousand in the event not counting the few thousand more for your guests staying in the hotel. You probably have some leverage at the franchisee hotel and can ask them to make you whole and use the e-bonus system to give you those points and nights on the hotel's dime.

Once the dust settles, I'll reach out to check out the version of Group Posting Tools to see if it was the program that was updated or if it is the same thing but Marriott played around in the background.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.

Last edited by yeunganson; Aug 28, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:22 pm

I've never used "Rewarding Events" before, but an upcoming vacation and a couple business trips planned prior to the end of the year will have me within a few nights of Platinum again. If I get platinum again this year, I'll be within 1 year of LTP.

Is my understanding correct that if I book a rewarding events meeting I'll be able to get the 10 nights since this will be my "first" meeting? If so, I'll book my upcoming vacation with Marriott properties and get platinum for next year. If I'm not going to hit platinum for 2019 anyways, I may as well stay at Hyatt and use my globalist status before it expires...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
For my meeting held on the 17th, posted on the 20th, I called back since I didn't see any updates by their original window.

Rep insisted the problem is that the hotel did not process the meeting, and they reached out to the hotel to have it posted, and they have a due date of 9/3.
I said, not true, the meeting was posted and I can see it.
She said, no it is not showing up. We went back and forth that way a few times.
She: wait, I meant to say that there was a work request sent to the dept that does this [not the hotel] but we have to wait to hear back from them, and the due date is 9/3.
Me: okay great, I would like to be transferred to someone in that department
She: no, that department doesn't speak to people. They are back office, like IT. We just send them work requests.
Me: Ok then I'd like to speak with a supervisor.
She: I am a supervisor, actually a manager, and there is no one higher in this department.

So I give up. I doubt these will ever be processed and at this point I will consider it a nice surprise if it ever shows up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.