Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AS Peon
Originally Posted by roubaolic
Go to marriott.co.uk or marriott.com.au, and you will see they already posted.
I just checked both of those sites and only see 10 Rewarding Events EQN, same as Marriott.com.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:05 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The bloggers seem to also understand the new Events and Meetings rule is for the first (and only the first) meeting of a membership year to qualify fo the 10 elite nights (bolding mine):

5 Tricks To Get The Most Out Of The "New" Marriott Rewards... - God Save The Points

Get 10 Nights Of Elite Status For Booking A Conference Room

This was a more generous trick prior to this week, but it’s still a great way to kickstart your year of Marriott Rewards elite status “night” earning. If you’ve ever been to a hotel and wondered “who actually books these”, you can now be one of those people. Booking a conference or meeting room can be extremely affordable, and when you do, you’ll earn 10 elite status nights. This magic 10 nights only counts once now, so don’t try to triple, quadruple, whatever dip. Be sure to confirm everything with your meeting planner in advance to ensure all goes as planned. Enjoy the coffee.
https://milestomemories.boardingarea...etings-events/

Conclusion

Rewarding Events program was a good way to earn Qualifying Nights towards Marriott Lifetime Status. With the new changes, earning Qualifying Nights is limited to 10 only when you book your first meeting. Points earning rates has also been cut to 2X but limits have been raised at least. Overall negative changes.
https://dannydealguru.com/2018/08/14...etings-events/

Guru’s Wrap-Up

The Rewarding Events program was a good way to earn Qualifying Nights towards Marriott Lifetime Status. You could book events, hopefully for cheap, without needing to attend. With the new changes, earning Qualifying Nights is limited to 10 only when you book your first meeting, instead of every booking. Points earning rates has also been cut to 2X but limits have been raised at least. Overall negative changes.
https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/08/08/...ugust-18-2018/

Marriott is changing the name of the program from Rewarding Events to Meetings & Events and will cut the number of points per dollar earned by a third (from 3 to 2) while lifting the per event maximum from 50,000 to 105,000 points. Members will earn 10 elite qualifying nights for the first event of the year ONLY and one elite qualifying night for every 20 rooms booked (max 20 elite qualifying nights).
Those of you wanting the new meeting rule to mean something different are suffering from confirmation bias, I'm afraid.
xar likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 20, 2018 at 11:14 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by emag_eh7
I had 6 meetings, 2 each on 8/8, 8/9, and 8/10. This morning I got the 6 emails about them being posted on the GPT and only 1 of the six emails listed 10 elite qualifying nights. All 5 other emails left the EQN section blank, but do have the "This meeting or event will count toward your qualification for Elite membership" text at the bottom.

It doesn't seem likely that the EQN will automatically post, hopefully it isn't too much of a fight to get them posted since I did the meetings pre-T&C change.
Originally Posted by RafKa
Quick data point: a couple of my meetings (pre-08/18) have posted today, and no EQN has been awarded, so I guess that corroborates the point that only the first meeting gets 10 EQNs (likely 'st meeting ever).

Now, whether I'll be able to get those EQNs posted per the old T&Cs is a different story...
Originally Posted by RafKa
I agree, and am hoping that's a case of botched IT... the confirmation mentions I am getting EQNs (althought none posted).

PROPERTY NAME: CY XXX

EVENT DATES: 08/16/2018 - 08/16/2018

REFERENCE NUMBER: XXX

DATE POSTED: 08/19/2018

BASE POINTS EARNED: 125
ELITE POINTS EARNED: 94
PURCHASED BONUS POINTS: 0
PURCHASED DOUBLE & TRIPLE POINTS: 0
TOTAL EARNED & PURCHASED POINTS: 219
ELITE QUALIFYING NIGHTS:

This meeting or event will count toward your qualification for Elite membership.

I'm seeing the same as RafKa and emag_eh7. I had four meetings in the last two weeks. One posted on 8/15 and though the confirmation email didn't mention any EQN, the nights posted with the points that day. The remaining three meetings posted this morning and the email now has "ELITE QUALIFYING NIGHTS: ", clearly indicating that no EQN were issued with it. The points for those meetings have posted. I think it's pretty clear at this point that going forward only the first meeting will earn EQN (though I suppose that still could be per year instead of per account lifetime), but I'm hoping that these meetings that took place before 8/18 but only posted after will get adjusted automatically.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by RogerD408
It might be too early to jump to that conclusion.
If none of the meetings posted today had an EQN, I'd agree with you that it's possibly a bug. With the first meeting that posted post 08/18 for @emag_eh7 post-08/18 granting the ten nights and the other five granting no nights and having the line blank instead, I consider it pretty conclusive.
I'm sure @emag_eh7 will be able to get the pre-08/18 meetings corrected manually by contacting marriott as they were subject to the old terms, but the new behavior seems pretty clear at this point.

Yes, there are other IT issues ongoing; yes, there is a very, very, very slim chance that this is an IT issue.

The text This meeting or event will count toward your qualification for Elite membership. means very little, it's boilerplate. Both on points (meeting spend is eligible spend in the old program, and for lifetime elite qualification under the legacy MR qualification criteria good through EOY 2018) and nights if awarded (the nights line being blank and having that text at the end as template can be reconciled).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I am not doubting anyone’,s version and the thing I find odd is that it is the exact same wording they have had prior to 8/18 and all meetings got the 10 nights. Its just strange, same verbiage, different result.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
I am not doubting anyone’,s version and the thing I find odd is that it is the exact same wording they have had prior to 8/18 and all meetings got the 10 nights. Its just strange, same verbiage, different result.
Sorry, but for the benefit of clarity: what are you trying to say here?
That you booked several pre-08/18 meetings under Rewarding events and they were all awarded 10 nights?
Were those nights posted before 08/18?

If those nights posted through GPT on 08/18 or later, that would represent an inconsistent experience between yourself and other members who got no nights or 10 nights only for first meeting.
If those nights posted through GPT before 08/18, then it indicates that the GPT/Marriott loyalty related system had the rules altered on 08/18 to reflect the new terms, and that since the nights were posted on 08/18 or later, that they were mistakenly subjected to the new rules - requiring adjustment.

Clarity is important. If you had nights post on 08/18 or later from second or other subsequent Rewarding Events meetings, then it would give @RogerD408 's theory that the people not receiving nights was due to an IT bug (and that the 08/18 terms still apply 10 nights per contract) .

Also, in terms of the wording, it definitely changed between 08/18 and pre-08/18.

Existing RE terms said you got silver after your first meeting (true because silver was 10 nights and the first meeting [and all subsequent, pre-08/18] gave 10 nights). They also said each meeting gave ten nights.
08/18 T&C and members.marriott.com for post-08/18 program stated the first meeting earned ten nights and that meetings could earn 1 EQN for every 20 room booking nights. The exact phrasing under members.marriott and T&C gave to two different interpretations (see Roger's theory above that the 10 meetings still applied per contract, or other arguments ITT that the language for 10 nights was exclusive for the first meeting alone.)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:54 pm

@RafKa and @emag_eh7 please let me know if you get any updates on receiving the 10 EQN for those pre-8/18 meetings. Thanks in advance
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I am also in the same boat - hope to get that pre-18th credit!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS Peon
Unrelated to getting the EQN to post, but kind of funny. For about a week after my meetings, I only had 5 charges on my card. Today, I finally see the 6th on pending, but now I see that the points posted to my account 7 times... Not sure what will happen there. Only 150 points so I doubt they care much, but funny nonetheless.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:02 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Sorry, but for the benefit of clarity: what are you trying to say here?
That you booked several pre-08/18 meetings under Rewarding events and they were all awarded 10 nights?
Were those nights posted before 08/18?

If those nights posted through GPT on 08/18 or later, that would represent an inconsistent experience between yourself and other members who got no nights or 10 nights only for first meeting.
If those nights posted through GPT before 08/18, then it indicates that the GPT/Marriott loyalty related system had the rules altered on 08/18 to reflect the new terms, and that since the nights were posted on 08/18 or later, that they were mistakenly subjected to the new rules - requiring adjustment.

Clarity is important. If you had nights post on 08/18 or later from second or other subsequent Rewarding Events meetings, then it would give @RogerD408 's theory that the people not receiving nights was due to an IT bug (and that the 08/18 terms still apply 10 nights per contract) .
Also, in terms of the wording, it definitely changed between 08/18 and pre-08/18.
1. Quite likely that 18th Aug 2018 was the cut off date to earn 10 nights per meeting. Below was my "final" meeting which scrapped thru on the 17th of Aug 2018.
2. Hence forth, the GPT was 'upgraded' and applied the new rules. The email content shared by other members showed different wordings too.
3. The sticky part now is what if my meeting was completed before 18th but posted thru GPT after the 18th? My guess is such scenarios has to be manually handled by Marriott so have your documentations ready to submit an appeal.

Dear Xar,
Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards member for your meeting & event business.
This message confirms the following was posted to your account:
Total points earned: 225
Date Posted: 08/17/2018
Event Dates: 08/04/2018 - 08/04/2018
Property Name: HTL & CONF
Reference Number: 123456
This meeting or event will count toward your qualification for Elite membership.
Thank you for choosing Marriott Rewards or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I had a meeting on the 16th... the points posted on the 20th.... but not the 10 nights credit.

Who should I contact?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Is it unreasonable to expect they may be holding off processing the RE nights while they are ironing out the current issues with the program merge? Yes, it would be nice if they would say that is what they are doing, but I suggest cut them some slack. This is a major project and reducing the moving parts while they figure it all out would make sense to me. Personally, if it was me, going dark for a few days would have been better, but too many panic way too quickly. So unless you absolutely need those nights now to get a higher status for a soon upcoming stay, keep notes, sit back and watch the merry-go-round spin.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
But $50 for 10 night credit is equivalent to $5/night rooms which I doubt you will find anywhere. And if those 10 nights puts you over the next tier in time for an upcoming stay where paying to upgrade to a club room could cost you $50 is a win. And I'd bet if you book the room with no F&B or AV requirements, the property will not put more than five minutes effort into the booking, that could be a win too. It is a way to pay for status, which I am against, but that's how the rules read for now.
I think Flying for Fun’s argument was that it wasn’t a win for the hotel. But I would disagree, $50 for little effort seems like a win to me so long as the GM is on board. I don’t see anything unethical about no-show meetings, many hotels would still charge if someone planned a legit meeting and no-showed, why shouldn’t they get the benefits if it’s been paid for?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The bloggers seem to also understand the new Events and Meetings rule is for the first (and only the first) meeting of a membership year to qualify fo the 10 elite nights (bolding mine):

5 Tricks To Get The Most Out Of The "New" Marriott Rewards... - God Save The Points

https://milestomemories.boardingarea...etings-events/

https://dannydealguru.com/2018/08/14...etings-events/

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/08/08/...ugust-18-2018/

Those of you wanting the new meeting rule to mean something different are suffering from confirmation bias, I'm afraid.
I don’t think people were saying it definitely meant that you could still get more than 10 nights, just that the wording wasn’t clear. And unless it’s changed, it’s still not (just like it’s not clear in some other unrelated areas as well). And if there’s one thing we’ve learned from this merger, it’s “just because a blogger/Lurker/CSR says something, doesn’t mean it’s necessarily true.”
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils

I don’t think people were saying it definitely meant that you could still get more than 10 nights, just that the wording wasn’t clear. And unless it’s changed, it’s still not (just like it’s not clear in some other unrelated areas as well). And if there’s one thing we’ve learned from this merger, it’s “just because a blogger/Lurker/CSR says something, doesn’t mean it’s necessarily true.”

The fact that there are multiple people who have had meetings post on 08/18 or beyond and either have none of them post any nights whatsoever, and one person who had 6 meetings post with the first meeting giving 10 nights and all subsequent giving no nights, is a pretty strong indicator. If all had said 10 nights and maybe none had posted, or none mentioned nights - then maybe an IT glitch on the merger.

Between the case where someone had six meetings post on 08/18 and only the first gave any nights, and the pre-08/18 email language for GPT email not mentioning nights at all (see @xar in post #127 ) because each meeting in the old program gave 10 nights per the terms...and now the new one having a nights line, because between 1st meeting granting 10 nights and all meetings being eligible to get up to 20 EQN (1 EQN for every 20 related room booking nights) and the 2nd + subsequent meetings being blank on that line if there were no related room booking nights or <20 of them... the treatment under the 08/18 T&C for Rewarding Events seems abundantly clear at this point.

I'm sure those who had pre-08/18 meetings post on or after 08/18 and not get 10 nights per meeting will be able to have Marriott correct it, but the behavior described ITT of the GPT on 08/18 seems to have confirmed the new normal for Rewarding Events, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.