Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
create multiple accounts, do one meeting on each for 10 elite nights, merge accounts.
From what I read, this is not going to be needed and I expect the 10 nights to come with each contract as the terms state. Creating multiple accounts is against the T&Cs and can jeopardize all accounts isn't worth the risk. I'd hate to see MPG become another AA with a staff to go after the rule breakers.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by jeanie
Marriott is making it harder to access elite levels, not FlyerTalk!
Some people who earn their elite status the hard way (paid butt in mattress stays) have the DYKWIA disease and would prefer that less people have access to elite status for less competion on upgrades, availability and smoked salmon in the lounge. That might motivate them to try to snitch to Marriott or steer people away from the tricks to achieve easy elite status.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Some people who earn their elite status the hard way (paid butt in mattress stays) have the DYKWIA disease and would prefer that less people have access to elite status for less competion on upgrades, availability and smoked salmon in the lounge. That might motivate them to try to snitch to Marriott or steer people away from the tricks to achieve easy elite status.
I earn elite status the hard way -- I'll break 100 actual paid nights by the middle of next week. And, yes, I would prefer that fewer people compete on upgrade availability since I'm spending 125-150 nights a year in Starriott property. There's not that many domestic lounges with smoked salmon and I'm happy to share although there are a couple of places where people sneaking in gets really obnoxious and there is no place to sit -- particularly in LA and NYC.

And while I disagree with BHRubin on certain things, he is certainly not trying to steer people away from tricks to achieve easy elite status or threatening to snitch! Creating multiple accounts and combining them ... (a) seems like a lot of work for a few nights -- are you going to create 5 accounts and then try to merge them! and (b) almost certainly seems like the equivalent of one of the bad bank robber disguises -- don't you think someone from Marriott would notice you are combining multiple accounts with 10 night rewarding event postings!
cruisr, yeunganson and MasterGeek like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

create multiple accounts, do one meeting on each for 10 elite nights, merge accounts.
Creating multiple Marriott accounts (especially for reasons of getting something you shouldn't) was in violation of the T&Cs of Marriott pre-Aug-18. Is it no longer a violation of the post-Aug-18 T&Cs?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:02 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
On hindsight, does this mean that it was possible to get LTP in the new program simply by going thru 5 meetings per year over a period of 7 years (since the points don't matter anymore)
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by xar
On hindsight, does this mean that it was possible to get LTP in the new program simply by going thru 5 meetings per year over a period of 7 years (since the points don't matter anymore)
Under what rubric would 350 nights and 7 years of status earn LTP?

Hint: none.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:47 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Under what rubric would 350 nights and 7 years of status earn LTP?

Hint: none.
What i'm trying to say is that hypothetically, holding "Gold" for 7 years would mean i have accumulated 350 "nights" and "Gold" status for 7 years. (Throw in additional 5 meetings to get another + 50 nights so that overall lifetime nights becomes 400)
In the current program, LTG will not be possible since there will be a shortfall in MR points but these points becomes irrelevant in the new program.
  • LIFETIME GOLD ELITE

400 Lifetime Nights + 7 Years Gold Elite Status or Higher
  • Points Never Expire
  • All Gold Elite benefits
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xar
Originally Posted by xar
What i'm trying to say is that hypothetically, holding "Gold" for 7 years would mean i have accumulated 350 "nights" and "Gold" status for 7 years. (Throw in additional 5 meetings to get another + 50 nights so that overall lifetime nights becomes 400)
In the current program, LTG will not be possible since there will be a shortfall in MR points but these points becomes irrelevant in the new program.
  • LIFETIME GOLD ELITE

400 Lifetime Nights + 7 Years Gold Elite Status or Higher
  • Points Never Expire
  • All Gold Elite benefits
Your first query was about LTP, P, as in Platinum.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
The new SPG.com/Marriott.com is coming up in pages. A lot of pages are technically present, with most of their content missing at this point.

This link will likely work for the merged program T&C at some point later today:
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

EDIT: The link now works.

Diff (comparison) of the leaked T&C vs. the one now on the website, to see how "final" the leak was:
https://www.diffchecker.com/r5ygGBWv

Most difference I see thus far is minor language changes ("by contacting" -> "contact") or just differences in spacing, but there may be others throughout the document.
Left side is the leaked, right side is the current T&C.

EDIT: After going through the diff rapidly, I see no changes of substance, but let me know if I missed anything.
Section 5.8 for further ambassador benefits is still mentioned upwards in the T&C, but absent on the www.marriott.com site T&C.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Your first query was about LTP, P, as in Platinum.
I've seen some posters get confused and think that if they qualify on the merged new LTG criteria (400 nights + 7 years at gold [25 nights or higher]), they will have the LTG in 2018 upgraded to LTP in 2019.
That doesn't apply if you qualify off the new LTG criteria in MR (the 400 nights + 7 years), but only the old criteria (500 nights + 1.6M points). The old MR LTG criteria (50 night level) will become LTP if achieved before the end of 2018.

Last edited by phltraveler; Aug 18, 2018 at 6:49 am
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phltraveler

I've seen some posters get confused and think that if they qualify on the merged new LTG criteria (400 nights + 7 years at gold [25 nights or higher]), they will have the LTG in 2018 upgraded to LTP in 2019.
That doesn't apply if you qualify off the new LTG criteria in MR (the 400 nights + 7 years), but only the old criteria (500 nights + 1.6M points). The old MR LTG criteria (50 night level) will become LTP if achieved before the end of 2018.
Yeah, you're likely correct about this. It seems to be occurring because 1) Marriott kept the same tier names (for the time being at least) and 2) members more recent to the forums might be straining to assess all the info quickly and accurately.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler
The new SPG.com/Marriott.com is coming up in pages. A lot of pages are technically present, with most of their content missing at this point.

This link will likely work for the merged program T&C at some point later today:
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

EDIT: The link now works.

Diff (comparison) of the leaked T&C vs. the one now on the website, to see how "final" the leak was:
https://www.diffchecker.com/r5ygGBWv

Most difference I see thus far is minor language changes ("by contacting" -> "contact") or just differences in spacing, but there may be others throughout the document.
Left side is the leaked, right side is the current T&C.

EDIT: After going through the diff rapidly, I see no changes of substance, but let me know if I missed anything.
Section 5.8 for further ambassador benefits is still mentioned upwards in the T&C, but absent on the www.marriott.com site T&C.

Look at lines 848-880 on new version on welcome gifts and reservation guarantee compensation. Have these been diminished?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club
Double Marriott Points incentive

I have a couple of events coming up this fall with contracts executed earlier this year. Some of them say “double Marriott rewards points” while others simply state “100,000 Marriott rewards points.”

Any insight in how the doubling will be applied? I will transfer over to PPE so should earn the full 105,000. Will it double to 210,000?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: SPG+Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
From what I read, this is not going to be needed and I expect the 10 nights to come with each contract as the terms state. Creating multiple accounts is against the T&Cs and can jeopardize all accounts isn't worth the risk. I'd hate to see MPG become another AA with a staff to go after the rule breakers.
If so I see it as a "win-win" for both sides. From the Marriott side, you are gaining revenue from these meeting rooms that would more often than not just sit there if there was no incentive to book them. And there's not much of an operating cost by Marriott when they are used. While this in turn causes Marriott to reward more members, they are doing so in gaining those customers' loyalty.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:18 am

i mean, create multiple accounts at your own risk. all this conjecture... is just conjecture
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by WorldPalmHand
If so I see it as a "win-win" for both sides. From the Marriott side, you are gaining revenue from these meeting rooms that would more often than not just sit there if there was no incentive to book them. And there's not much of an operating cost by Marriott when they are used. While this in turn causes Marriott to reward more members, they are doing so in gaining those customers' loyalty.
Yes, I agree, allowing members to get credit for 10 nights for each event is a win-win. Mostly those that have status are against it to keep the crowds small, but that's normal. We will have to wait and see if practice continues as it has or if they are really shutting down the perk. I just don't see much draw for meeting planners if they will only get 10 nights when they do multiple events during the year, after all meeting planner is not an annual gig in my book.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.