Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I received a hotel proposal yesterday including "SPG Event Planner Points". I guess old habits are hard to break.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You've already answered your own question/problem.

You do not have a contract. Rewarding Events have contracts. Simply booking a meeting room does not meet the criteria for rewarding events. You're not going to win this one. Acknowledge it & move on - to a different chain if it bothers you enough.

If you decide to stay, next time do it properly with a contract (and booking a meeting room only will still not qualify).

PS - Marriott IS following its T&Cs by denying you what you're asking.
Cheers.
This is the best answer; per the rules of Rewarding Events, you did not have a valid agreement entitling you to points/nights. So this is not on Marriott Corporate. If you have something in writing from the hotel that you will get special benefits, than your beef is with the hotel and they are the ones you should be pursuing.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:53 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
So far, the Rewarding Events process and procedures have been far smoother and more reliable than those for SPG Pro.

My first group event correctly posted points and the concomitant 10 elite nights to my account and sent the event summary to me via email.

Subsequent group events have correctly posted points to my account and sent the event summaries to me via email in a vastly faster manner than ever happened with SPG Pro. I haven’t received them all yet, but I’ve received many already, and that’s far faster than ever happened with SPG Pro.

The only action items for which I still am waiting are the elite nights earned based on room nights consumed. We are supposed to receive 1 elite night for every 20 room nights consumed. The event summaries make no mention of the room nights consumed, so I wonder if this will be the one item where Marriott IT might screw the pooch—since Marriott never before awarded elite nights in this manner like SPG Pro did previously.

Fortunately, I’m already at 91 nights YTD so I’ll easily reach the 100 night threshold regardless. But it will be good to know that the proper awarding and posting of elite nights for group room consumption will be done correctly and in a timely manner. Anyone else have any elite nights posted for their group rooms consumption?
lexdevil likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
It will be my first time to utilise the rewarding events. Any help is appreciated.

I plan to book for an one-hour event and a 9 room stay for 2 nights in a Marriott property.

My concerns are:
1. Will I be able to earn Marriott points for all the 9 rooms
2. is my "elite nights" for my stay in my room, an addition to the 10 elite nights from Rewarding events.

Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:24 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Jayson86
It will be my first time to utilise the rewarding events. Any help is appreciated.

I plan to book for an one-hour event and a 9 room stay for 2 nights in a Marriott property.

My concerns are:
1. Will I be able to earn Marriott points for all the 9 rooms
2. is my "elite nights" for my stay in my room, an addition to the 10 elite nights from Rewarding events.

Thanks
Your first event will only earn you the 10 elite nights—whether it’s a meeting only or a 50 hotel room affair. So pick wisely so you don’t waste the opportunity.

If the above event is your first meeting for which you earn 10 elite nights, that’s all you will earn insofar as elite nights go. You will earn points as per Rewarding Events policies—which are not nearly as generous as with individually booked rooms—not as per individual rooms you book (up to 3) in your own name.

To avoid these issues, challenges, and less generous Rewarding Events earning, I make sure my first event is a small affair—so the 10 elite nights are earned based on little effort or cost. Every subsequent event then earns more relatively speaking; remember that you earn 1 elite night for every 20 room nights consumed after that first event. I also always book my individual room outside the group event room block so I earn the 1 elite night and concomitant points for that stay...and I transfer all incidental spend otherwise for me or for the group overall to my room so I earn the higher elite bonuses than what are given with Rewarding Events. Rewarding Events points do not earn the same elite bonuses as individual stays, unfortunately—and those can be a lot of points to sacrifice!

Live and learn.

I highly recommend booking a cheap meeting first...and then make sure it posts for the 10 elite nights before you have the second meeting as described with 18 room nights. I’d also recommend booking your own room individually outside the room block so you get the 2 elite nights and concomitant points and elite bonus points and then get the other 16 room nights towards future elite nights.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 19, 2019 at 10:31 am
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Your first event will only earn you the 10 elite nights—whether it’s a meeting only or a 50 hotel room affair. So pick wisely so you don’t waste the opportunity.

If the above event is your first meeting for which you earn 10 elite nights, that’s all you will earn insofar as elite nights go. You will earn points as per Rewarding Events policies—which are not nearly as generous as with individually booked rooms—not as per individual rooms you book (up to 3) in your own name.

To avoid these issues, challenges, and less generous Rewarding Events earning, I make sure my first event is a small affair—so the 10 elite nights are earned based on little effort or cost. Every subsequent event then earns more relatively speaking; remember that you earn 1 elite night for every 20 room nights consumed after that first event. I also always book my individual room outside the group event room block so I earn the 1 elite night and concomitant points for that stay...and I transfer all incidental spend otherwise for me or for the group overall to my room so I earn the higher elite bonuses than what are given with Rewarding Events. Rewarding Events points do not earn the same elite bonuses as individual stays, unfortunately—and those can be a lot of points to sacrifice!

Live and learn.

I highly recommend booking a cheap meeting first...and then make sure it posts for the 10 elite nights before you have the second meeting as described with 18 room nights. I’d also recommend booking your own room individually outside the room block so you get the 2 elite nights and concomitant points and elite bonus points and then get the other 16 room nights towards future elite nights.
I also always book my individual room outside the group event room block so I earn the 1 elite night and concomitant points for that stay...and I transfer all incidental spend otherwise for me or for the group overall to my room so I earn the higher elite bonuses than what are given with Rewarding Events.
This is how you get ambassador status since money spent on master accounts at meetings and events does not count toward the spending requirement. Money spent at meetings and events charged to your individual room does however count.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by itravelalot
This is how you get ambassador status since money spent on master accounts at meetings and events does not count toward the spending requirement. Money spent at meetings and events charged to your individual room does however count.
There isn't a lot of incidental spend from my groups, unfortunately, but whenever I buy breakfast or dinner I always do put that on my own room, of course. The room rates for my group rooms can't be used towards my Ambassador spend.

I get Ambassador status more because I tend to stay at a lot of higher priced properties, too. Just note my recent reviews also for the RC Washington, RC Boston, RC Georgetown, and RC Chicago. Even when I have award stays, I tend to spend a lot on breakfast (I always prefer room service to any lounge), lunch, and dinner, and especially on hotel bar. Not to mention concierge excursions that often count towards Ambassador spend.
Handcake likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:33 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Not to mention concierge excursions that often count towards Ambassador spend.
I have always been curious if any of those counted. There is no way to know in advance I assume.

My next trip will be interesting since every night is on points. I am curious how much spend will count toward Ambassador.

bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by bosman
This is the best answer; per the rules of Rewarding Events, you did not have a valid agreement entitling you to points/nights. So this is not on Marriott Corporate. If you have something in writing from the hotel that you will get special benefits, than your beef is with the hotel and they are the ones you should be pursuing.
I have just booked an event, and I asked the hotel (that agreed) to add into the written contract the condition that I will earn points and night credit along with my Bonvoy number.
Hope!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
I have just booked an event, and I asked the hotel (that agreed) to add into the written contract the condition that I will earn points and night credit along with my Bonvoy number.
Hope!
Someone must have a copy of the language they use that can be posted here as sample text to include in the contract.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:09 pm

so the only way is call Marriott events? or email each Marriott hotel individually ask for a quote (but they all don't have a email address on the website), said I want the cheapest options possible?

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
For Marriott, all you need is a written contract which specifically lists your membership number and that Rewarding Events credits (the old name which I still see on contracts) will be awarded for the event. These are multi-page contracts with real signatures on them.

I made Lifetime Tit on the back of many single-room small meetings (1,110 "nights" over the past 10 years). None of my meetings had a guarantee of sleeping rooms. Some of those meetings I did not even stay at the hotel overnight. Each one had a contract and I had a contact person with the "events" department at the hotel. Most of them I also ordered some catering, but some I did not. You can't book these online or with the front desk.

Hyatt requires a minimum number of sleeping rooms booked to claim credit for a meeting. Not Marriott. In fact, only Marriott gives such liberal room night credits for a meeting room. Hilton does not credit a meeting room as a "stay" or as a "night". You just get points for money spent, and I usually have to fight for that with Hilton.

I would be surprised if Marriott continues "Rewarding Events" much longer since it is not in keeping with the competing chains at present, or perhaps they might require a minimum of $500 F&B or a certain number of sleeping rooms to grant the 10 nights.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Hope!
If it is your first Event of the year, you’ll get the 10 elite nights as per Marriott Events rules. And the points as per group booking rules, too (not the same as individuals).

If it isn't your first event, you will only earn points as per Marriott Events rules (low earning and no bonus based on status) and you will only earn elite nights as per Marriott Event rules (1 elite night earned for every 20 room nights consumed). No hotel contract changes that. No matter what they or the contract suggests or insinuates, Marriott Bonvoy rules trump those and that’s who awards the points and nights.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:22 pm

Meeting Room Discounts

Anyone know which properties offer low rates enough to a “meeting run” to get the 10 elite night?
Old May 19, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by skyline101
Anyone know which properties offer low rates enough to a “meeting run” to get the 10 elite night?

Yes. There are plenty. I suggest you read the older threads, they have all the answers.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: IHG platinum
I booked a meeting event via phone call and signed the contract for a hour meeting room for 2 people. And it's been a month that it didn't post. I request the hotel and got this email reply. Am I getting bonvoyed ?

Good Evening Mr. XXX,

I just wanted to reach out to you concerning your email. I left you a voicemail after Customer Care opened and then automatically closed the case. I spoke with the Customer Care line on the 9th who informed me that your meeting did not meet the qualifications for the 10 free nights which is completed through Marriott's channels. We did administer the points and you sent an email of receipt of those points for booking the meeting space. According to Marriott, the stipulations of receiving the 10 free nights are as follows: must request an RFP from 3 hotels, must book and complete an all day meeting with the hotel that was chosen, must also have a group of at least 5 rooms in addition to the meeting. These qualifications were not met for your meeting that occurred here at our hotel. I'm not sure who in your organization was able to get the free nights but again, that isn't through the hotel but through Marriott and they stipulate who receives that benefit. After speaking with them, I immediately called the phone number we had on your contract and left a voicemail detailing my conversation with Customer Care. I apologise for any confusion you have experienced. Please feel free to call and speak with myself or my general manager if you have any further questions. Thank you and have a good evening.

Kindest Regards,

XXXXX
Sent from my iPhone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.