Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Rewarding Events" program changes after August 18, 2018

"Rewarding Events" program changes after August 18, 2018

Hide Wikipost
Old May 17, 19, 9:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jeanie
Wiki Link
Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 11, 19, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Any recent data points on how long the points and 10 nights takes to post after hosting a meeting? I hosted a meeting on March 2nd and the hotel (Four Points by Sheraton LAX) said they submitted it online using the Rewarding Events tool. I am in no rush for the points or 10 nights, but just curious if anyone knows how long it might take to post. Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 19, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SeeTheLights View Post
Any recent data points on how long the points and 10 nights takes to post after hosting a meeting? I hosted a meeting on March 2nd and the hotel (Four Points by Sheraton LAX) said they submitted it online using the Rewarding Events tool. I am in no rush for the points or 10 nights, but just curious if anyone knows how long it might take to post. Thanks.
Sometimes only a few days and other times months. Unfortunately, it depends on the property and whether Marriott's system is working.

Many contracts say the property will post the points within 10 or 14 business days, but, in my experience, many properties typically post all of their events at once and only once a month.
SeeTheLights likes this.
Old Mar 11, 19, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium | AY Silver
Wrong

Last edited by joakgarp; May 19, 19 at 11:22 pm
Old Mar 15, 19, 1:44 pm

My company held a large event in early January - the contract was well over $100K. At 2 points per dollar, that would be 200K points. The points didn't post until March, and I only received 45K. I had marked "split" on the contract to share with a colleague, since this was well over the maximum per event (90K) that I'm eligible to earn as a platinum member. It seems that we split the 90K. Can anyone else confirm if this is the case when splitting points?
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bartexas View Post
My company held a large event in early January - the contract was well over $100K. At 2 points per dollar, that would be 200K points. The points didn't post until March, and I only received 45K. I had marked "split" on the contract to share with a colleague, since this was well over the maximum per event (90K) that I'm eligible to earn as a platinum member. It seems that we split the 90K. Can anyone else confirm if this is the case when splitting points?
This sounds correct. You should have asked for double points or asked for the property to waive the maximum. I've had properties pay for points over and above the Marriott maximum at their own expense. For a $100,000 event, you should have gotten more points.

Marriott's event business has taken a huge dip, I think, after they decreased the commission paid to event planners on room rates from 10% to 7% and eliminated the 10 elite-qualifying nights per contract. As a result, they're doing double points on all events and meetings. Many properties are going above that and giving triple points.
Old Mar 23, 19, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
I used the tool to do an RFP for 1 hour at LAX Marriott and they replied that they but they saw I only needed 1 hour and due to renovation space, rental is by the day and not by the hour so she suggested I get space at Westin LAX and they use Tangent which lets you do hourly and gave me the link. Of course, since you don't use the official Marriott booking tool I am guessing that you don't get the EQN which is the main driver for booking the meeting. Oh well, guess I'll try a different one.
Old Mar 23, 19, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by rmc1 View Post
I used the tool to do an RFP for 1 hour at LAX Marriott and they replied that they but they saw I only needed 1 hour and due to renovation space, rental is by the day and not by the hour so she suggested I get space at Westin LAX and they use Tangent which lets you do hourly and gave me the link. Of course, since you don't use the official Marriott booking tool I am guessing that you don't get the EQN which is the main driver for booking the meeting. Oh well, guess I'll try a different one.
I don't see anything in the T&Cs that says you must book via Marriott.com, just that you need to show your BONVoY number. Also the property must use the GPT to post the event and that alerts BONVoY to pony up the nights. If the rates are reasonable then call the property to ask if 1) they know about the GPT, and 2) will they use it to post your event. If both are met then there is a good chance you will get credit.
Old Mar 23, 19, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
I don't see anything in the T&Cs that says you must book via Marriott.com, just that you need to show your BONVoY number. Also the property must use the GPT to post the event and that alerts BONVoY to pony up the nights. If the rates are reasonable then call the property to ask if 1) they know about the GPT, and 2) will they use it to post your event. If both are met then there is a good chance you will get credit.
Without a signed contract that specifically mentions "Marriott Bonvoy Events" (Rewarding Events is no longer the name) I would not risk it, especially given Marriott's IT and customer service woes of late. Even if you can convince Marriott down the line to award you the nights or points, it could be months later.

For what it's worth, ALL meetings and events are double points right now.
Old Mar 25, 19, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Without a signed contract that specifically mentions "Marriott Bonvoy Events" (Rewarding Events is no longer the name) I would not risk it, especially given Marriott's IT and customer service woes of late. Even if you can convince Marriott down the line to award you the nights or points, it could be months later.
agreed....last year i had emails from a property that they would honour all terms of rewarding events including the 10 elite nights credit but they did not mention it in the contract....after the event the property took months to post the points but did not post the elite nights....following up with marriott was of no use since the property later claimed that they never offered the nights, even though i showed them emails stating that they had promised the nights....marriott claimed that since it was not in the contract therefore it was up to the property whether they would award the nights....
Old Apr 4, 19, 5:38 am

I had my first event (a small one) in March and already got the 10 elite nights and some points..fine. In July I will have my second event with approximately 55 rooms for 2 nights. Will I get 5 elite nights or just 2 for this event ?
Old Apr 8, 19, 5:20 am

Does anyone have any experience with booking a conference room for a small meeting (2 people) in NY/NJ area? Feel free to PM if preferable.

Last edited by slice; Apr 8, 19 at 2:51 pm
Old Apr 10, 19, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Platinum / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold
LOL what is this? I just got points for last year's meeting that they couldn't post pre Aug 18, 2018 for some reason.

YOU EARNED POINTS

Congratulations on earning points through our Rewarding Events program. Now it's your turn -- enjoy the rewards of a job well done.

It's our pleasure to confirm the following was posted to your account:

PROPERTY NAME: XXXXXXXXXXX

EVENT DATES: 06/27/2018 - 06/27/2018

REFERENCE NUMBER:

DATE POSTED: 04/10/2019

BASE POINTS EARNED: 240
ELITE POINTS EARNED: 180
PURCHASED BONUS POINTS: 0
PURCHASED DOUBLE & TRIPLE POINTS: 0
TOTAL EARNED & PURCHASED POINTS: 420
ELITE QUALIFYING NIGHTS: 0
Old Apr 10, 19, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by samwise6222 View Post
LOL what is this? I just got points for last year's meeting that they couldn't post pre Aug 18, 2018 for some reason.
Maybe an internal audit discovered they never posted them.

You need to contact Marriott (good luck!) and get them to give you the 10 nights. I'd also follow-up with the property and complain. Maybe they'll give you more points.
Old Apr 10, 19, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Maybe an internal audit discovered they never posted them.

You need to contact Marriott (good luck!) and get them to give you the 10 nights. I'd also follow-up with the property and complain. Maybe they'll give you more points.
Exactly. Where are the nights???
Old Apr 11, 19, 5:18 am

Rewarding Events Night Credits / Have I been Bonvoyed (again)

Have I been Bonvoyed?

I booked a meeting room at Le Meridien, Delhi. 6 days and 4 people. I stayed at the hotel myself.

I requested it to be under Rewarding Events for the 10 nights credit. They messed it up and said next time it would be done properly.

So last month was next time and I stayed at the hotel for 5 nights and booked a meeting room for 3 days.

Again I requested Rewarding Events when booking and also upon check out and paying.

I have been chasing it for 2 weeks and finally got the reply:

"Business centre meeting is not eligible for Elite Night Credits"

Is this correct, or is it the usual sorry excuse from Marriott when you ask them to stick to their terms and conditions?

Search this Thread