Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kaloz
Just noticed I've also got the missing nights. My MR account went from 49->69 nights, but it seems I can't pick the 50 night choice.. Does that one work for you?
You might need to allow a couple of days for the gerbils to catch up.

The link for selecting your benefit:
https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/
dsquared37, bhrubin and rny321 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I would be interested in the experience of folks that hold significant meetings/events via this program.

Situation: My wife recently (mid November) held an event at a large property. This is the first event she has ever held. It was roughly:
  • $50K total spend, inclusive of:
    • 113 room nights (all booked on master agreement and paid for directly by her)
    • Food, beverage, meeting space, and A/V
As I understand the current, new program, she is entitled to 10 EQNs for hosting her first meeting of the calendar year AND (and here is the rub) 1 EQN for every additional room nights (up to 20 max) booked on the contract. Here is the source for my understanding (scroll down to "Earn Valuable Points"):
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/ear...ding-events.mi

So with 113 paid room nights, that would be an additional 5 EQNs. She also received email confirmation from her local sales person that she would receive both the 10 EQNs for first event and the additional 5 EQNs for the 113 room nights.
The 10 EQNs posted no problem, within a couple days. However, they are now claiming that the 1 EQN for 20 room nights is only applicable on subsequent meetings, held during the year, after the first one and they are denying her the additional 5 EQNs. Logically, this doesn't even make sense to me; had she brought 400 paid room nights to the table, would they really only have given her 10 EQNs because it was her "first meeting of the calendar year?" That doesn't seem to be the spirit of the program.

The URL I posted above shows the benefits in bullets, without any type of "or" statement, which to me implies the listed benefits are inclusive (e.g. they also awarded her a large number of points based on total dollars spent). However, in reading the T&Cs (Section 5.3 under Rewarding Events) the language is a bit more loose and could be interpreted in multiple ways. In fact, in multiple discussions with both the local property as well as the Marriott directly, we've literally received about 3 to 4 different interpretations of the T&Cs.

So, I guess the net of my question, directed at that those who book meetings with room nights, have you generally received the 10 EQNs for a first event, plus EQNs based on paid room nights? Or is what Marriott is telling us what others have experienced? Any insight from experienced event planners is greatly appreciated.

Regards
rny321 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:46 pm

share same story after got 30 nights posted today, cheesed also 3months nothing happened unitil today a sudden post.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
I would be interested in the experience of folks that hold significant meetings/events via this program.

Situation: My wife recently (mid November) held an event at a large property. This is the first event she has ever held. It was roughly:
  • $50K total spend, inclusive of:
    • 113 room nights (all booked on master agreement and paid for directly by her)
    • Food, beverage, meeting space, and A/V
As I understand the current, new program, she is entitled to 10 EQNs for hosting her first meeting of the calendar year AND (and here is the rub) 1 EQN for every additional room nights (up to 20 max) booked on the contract. Here is the source for my understanding (scroll down to "Earn Valuable Points"):
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/ear...ding-events.mi

So with 113 paid room nights, that would be an additional 5 EQNs. She also received email confirmation from her local sales person that she would receive both the 10 EQNs for first event and the additional 5 EQNs for the 113 room nights.
The 10 EQNs posted no problem, within a couple days. However, they are now claiming that the 1 EQN for 20 room nights is only applicable on subsequent meetings, held during the year, after the first one and they are denying her the additional 5 EQNs. Logically, this doesn't even make sense to me; had she brought 400 paid room nights to the table, would they really only have given her 10 EQNs because it was her "first meeting of the calendar year?" That doesn't seem to be the spirit of the program.

The URL I posted above shows the benefits in bullets, without any type of "or" statement, which to me implies the listed benefits are inclusive (e.g. they also awarded her a large number of points based on total dollars spent). However, in reading the T&Cs (Section 5.3 under Rewarding Events) the language is a bit more loose and could be interpreted in multiple ways. In fact, in multiple discussions with both the local property as well as the Marriott directly, we've literally received about 3 to 4 different interpretations of the T&Cs.

So, I guess the net of my question, directed at that those who book meetings with room nights, have you generally received the 10 EQNs for a first event, plus EQNs based on paid room nights? Or is what Marriott is telling us what others have experienced? Any insight from experienced event planners is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ouch. This is one of those unfortunate scenarios where your wife gets screwed because of the way the rule is now implemented. I’m so sorry. That information is accurate. You get 10 EQN for the first meeting but any room nights included with that meeting—no matter how few or how many—don’t count towards further EQN credit. You may be able to convince someone at Marriott otherwise, but I sincerely doubt it.

This is precisely the reason that I’m holding a (fake) first meeting in early 2019 to get the 10 EQN for that first meeting. Then all my subsequent real meetings, all of which will include dozens of rooms, will count torward the 1 EQN for each 20 room nights consumed. I had realized that holding my actual first group booking of rooms—no matter how small or large—would otherwise earn me 10 EQN due to the first meeting rule...but that would void the room count I had for that actual first meeting. I or anyone else wiuld almost certainly rather use those rooms nights toward the 1 EQN/20 room nights.

Basically, Marriott’s 10 EQN for the first meeting screws people who legitimately hold meetings with big room counts. It actually encourages people to do as I’m doing: hold a fake meeting to get those 10 EQN without the room count mastering at all, then have all subsequent real meetings with rooms afterward so they count toward the 1 EQN/20 night’s calculation.

I still believe that Marriott eventually will change this rule because of these unintended and sloppy consequences that encourage fake meetings toward status. But that won’t help now. I suspect it won’t change for at least another few years as Marriott evaluates the program numbers for a few years.
rny321 likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 20, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
TX

// 10char

Last edited by Flyertalker1; Dec 24, 2019 at 11:25 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by margarita girl
You might need to allow a couple of days for the gerbils to catch up.

The link for selecting your benefit:
https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/
Please have sympathy for those little guys as they have had a tough year with all of the stops, starts, and reversals. Also, eight of them may be taking off on the 24th to pull that heavy sleigh.

One interesting, but probably coincidental, aspect of the choice-benefit link is that it shows what my status is expected to be after the sweep that is supposed to happen early next year.
margarita girl and dsquared37 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: MR Bonvoy LP , AC/AE, DL, Porter, SU, Nexus, APEC
Originally Posted by frankysu
share same story after got 30 nights posted today, cheesed also 3months nothing happened unitil today a sudden post.
Thanks for the heads up, I just checked my account and I finally got the final 10 nights from a meeting on August 14th, I was ready to give up as I had cleared the 75 night level without them. However the added 10 nights put me closer to the 600 night level which now that I'm retired and only traveling for pleasure will take two or three years.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by rny321
Please have sympathy for those little guys as they have had a tough year with all of the stops, starts, and reversals. Also, eight of them may be taking off on the 24th to pull that heavy sleigh.

One interesting, but probably coincidental, aspect of the choice-benefit link is that it shows what my status is expected to be after the sweep that is supposed to happen early next year.
Hmmm, unfortunately I'm not making the nights so no option to check sweep status. Is there an independent link for that data? Would you post it please?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:14 pm

Interesting. im LT PP and looking at my status on there gives me a dark circle around the avatar (versus light color on main site) and no text at all saying what my status is. So its just my name written in cursive under the avatar. Maybe i got a super secret status for next year.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Hmmm, unfortunately I'm not making the nights so no option to check sweep status. Is there an independent link for that data? Would you post it please?
I used margaritagirl's link, signed in, and clicked the drop-down list on the upper right side of the website. Instead of showing annual status, it had my expected LT status. I don't know if there is another link that works.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I used margaritagirl's link, signed in, and clicked the drop-down list on the upper right side of the website. Instead of showing annual status, it had my expected LT status. I don't know if there is another link that works.
When I use that link I get the We're Sorry, but.... message since I don't have the nights to pick a choice. Tried a few variations and nothing. I guess I'll just have to wait.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:22 pm

I got the email for my meeting being posted announcing my earned points and the 10.0 EQNs. When I log in, I see the points added to my total (not to account activity), but the EQNs have not been added.

Reason for concern or just wait and it'll catch up? Got the email 5 hours ago.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I got the email for my meeting being posted announcing my earned points and the 10.0 EQNs. When I log in, I see the points added to my total (not to account activity), but the EQNs have not been added.

Reason for concern or just wait and it'll catch up? Got the email 5 hours ago.
did you have a contract for your meeting?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Flyertalker1

did you have a contract for your meeting?
I know they posted it via Group Posting Tool and they assured me it would accrue points. No contract unfortunately. I don't know why GPT wouldn't give me credit for it if I haven't held a meeting in 2018.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by swintec
Interesting. im LT PP and looking at my status on there gives me a dark circle around the avatar (versus light color on main site) and no text at all saying what my status is. So its just my name written in cursive under the avatar. Maybe i got a super secret status for next year.
That link says I am Platinum Premier Lifetime Elite -- which I am not. I have less than 200 lifetime EQNs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.