Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Rewarding Events" program changes after August 18, 2018

"Rewarding Events" program changes after August 18, 2018

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 17, 19, 9:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: jeanie
Wiki Link
Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels


Marriott Rewarding Events


Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels


How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking


Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting ó and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked ó up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.


Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.


FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Sep 23, 18, 7:38 am
  #451  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MSQ
Programs: OWE(BA),*A G(TK E+),Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors D
Posts: 683
Just figured out that the biggest losers after merger are meeting holders who book meeting space only from outside US(no credit card availability). Previously only 5 or 8 meetings needed to achieve Gold or Platinum, now it is 40 or 65 meetings per calendar year.
Jaenks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 18, 8:41 pm
  #452  
SPG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Posts: 955
Originally Posted by Jaenks View Post
Just figured out that the biggest losers after merger are meeting holders who book meeting space only from outside US(no credit card availability). Previously only 5 or 8 meetings needed to achieve Gold or Platinum, now it is 40 or 65 meetings per calendar year.
There are silver linings. Those who book corporate retreats, conferences and meetings, they can always get the hotel to pay out those 10 nights through hotel's own pocket using the "e-bonus" tool. In fact, in previous Marriott Get Plat For $800 thread, a member got comped Platinum status for a year because of hotel screw up if I recall correctly (although the poster was going for the eligible nights and not the annual status).. I am pretty confident if you bring in 100,000 per conference/meeting/corporate retreat and you do a few of those a year, they will make it work.
yeunganson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 8:43 am
  #453  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 9
Is there any reason to think that event night credits wouldn't count as rollover credits?

My situation: I am straight up at 50 nights, so I have qualified for Platinum, but there's no way I'll hit Premier Platinum between now and 12/31. If I book an event between now and 12/31, would the 10 ten nights rollover? Further, if I book an event in 2019, will those nights also count, getting me to 20 nights on events for 2019?

Thoughts?
bartexas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 9:41 am
  #454  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
Posts: 738
Originally Posted by bartexas View Post
Is there any reason to think that event night credits wouldn't count as rollover credits?

My situation: I am straight up at 50 nights, so I have qualified for Platinum, but there's no way I'll hit Premier Platinum between now and 12/31. If I book an event between now and 12/31, would the 10 ten nights rollover? Further, if I book an event in 2019, will those nights also count, getting me to 20 nights on events for 2019?

Thoughts?
2017 was the last year to accumulate rollover nights.
RogerD408 likes this.
GoSh4rks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 9:48 am
  #455  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,336
Originally Posted by yeunganson View Post
There are silver linings. Those who book corporate retreats, conferences and meetings, they can always get the hotel to pay out those 10 nights through hotel's own pocket using the "e-bonus" tool. In fact, in previous Marriott Get Plat For $800 thread, a member got comped Platinum status for a year because of hotel screw up if I recall correctly (although the poster was going for the eligible nights and not the annual status).. I am pretty confident if you bring in 100,000 per conference/meeting/corporate retreat and you do a few of those a year, they will make it work.
Properties can't award nights, they can, however, award additional points.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 10:18 am
  #456  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,605
Originally Posted by bartexas View Post
Is there any reason to think that event night credits wouldn't count as rollover credits?

My situation: I am straight up at 50 nights, so I have qualified for Platinum, but there's no way I'll hit Premier Platinum between now and 12/31. If I book an event between now and 12/31, would the 10 ten nights rollover? Further, if I book an event in 2019, will those nights also count, getting me to 20 nights on events for 2019?

Thoughts?
Rollover is gone.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 11:12 am
  #457  
SPG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Posts: 955
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Properties can't award nights, they can, however, award additional points.
I believe the e-bonus tool can be used to give points and eligible night credits to Marriott/SPG members. This makes sense because hotel need to some interface to credit guests stay and not everyone reserve through Marriott/SPG website.

I get your point that if I didn't stay and sleep in the hotel, there maybe some franchisee-corporate contract that prevents arbitrary awards of eligible nights.

There however have been at least one case where the hotel was able to purchase (not comped but Purchased) old Marriott Platinum status (new Marriott/SPG Platinum Premier) to a Flyertalker - DealAddict in Aug 2018. So it's within the powers of the franchise hotel to purchase important Marriott/SPG Members Plat status from Marriott Corp.

This means those event planners that do bring in somewhat decent revenue can still gain annual status without the night requirements as long as the franchisee hotel is willing to foot the bill.

See Post #2882 on the old Plat status for $800 thread
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Last edited by yeunganson; Sep 24, 18 at 1:04 pm
yeunganson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 11:22 am
  #458  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,309
Originally Posted by yeunganson View Post
I believe the e-bonus tool can be used to give points and eligible night credits to Marriott/SPG members. This makes sense because

I get your point that if I didn't stay and sleep in the hotel, there maybe some franchisee-corporate contract that prevents arbitrary awards of eligible nights.

There however have been at least one case where the hotel was able to purchase old Marriott Platinum status (new Marriott/SPG Platinum Premier) to a Flyertalker - DealAddict in Aug 2018. So it's within the powers of the franchise hotel to purchase important Marriott/SPG Members Plat status from Marriott Corp.

See Post #2882 on the old Plat status for $800 thread
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Yes, a property can comp status for an important guest (maybe list them as an owner/investor?), but I do believe the nights for RE have been issued by MR. This is a simple mistake and hopefully corrected before long.
RogerD408 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 11:22 am
  #459  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,605
The purchase of status wouldn't help on lifetime nights, or count as nights toward higher status and SNAs.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 1:12 pm
  #460  
SPG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Posts: 955
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The purchase of status wouldn't help on lifetime nights, or count as nights toward higher status and SNAs.
What would be interesting whether or not the franchisee hotel can purchase Platinum Premier with Ambassador for an event planner (or other deemed important guest of that franchisee hotel). I would imagine the elite years would count but no eligible nights.

This is different than say owning the hotel. During SPG time, if you own the hotel and give it to SPG to manage ( a common Asia thing that hotel owned by a family headed by a patriarch). They give the owner the Starwood VIP status that is unobtainable through the formerly SPG program. I would imagine owners of hotels who give Marriott to manage will get something higher level than Platinum Premier with Ambassador
yeunganson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 2:53 pm
  #461  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Plum Nelly
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Posts: 557
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Rollover is gone.
Until it's back.
Old Hickory is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 18, 7:37 am
  #462  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Posts: 2,961
Originally Posted by xar View Post
Suggest to approach those hotels that publish their rates online and work from there. Also, given that your meeting is only for an hour, the publish rates should be halved before taxes.
If you book thru the website, they should be sending you a contract to sign after you input your credit card details.
Do locations still publish prices online? I'm searching various dates in a few metro areas and can't seem to find any.
nall is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 18, 12:03 am
  #463  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
Posts: 35
Has anyone had a pre 18th event post after? I have two pending that would push me to PP. The points hit but no elite nights. I havenít called to protest yet.
ethan76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 18, 2:18 am
  #464  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by ethan76 View Post
Has anyone had a pre 18th event post after? I have two pending that would push me to PP. The points hit but no elite nights. I havenít called to protest yet.
Yes there are quite a few of us. I've been hounding them for a month. Please call and protest so they will get off their butts and handle this issue for us.
mingzie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 18, 6:43 pm
  #465  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by ethan76 View Post
Has anyone had a pre 18th event post after? I have two pending that would push me to PP. The points hit but no elite nights. I havenít called to protest yet.
I would call and open a case. I believe what happened is that because they posted after the merge, the system correctly assumed they don't credit elite nights. I've had a case open for the last 4 weeks and i have called multiple times. Your issue is not going to fix by itself unfortunately.
coljung is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread