Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Rewarding Events" program changes after August 18, 2018

"Rewarding Events" program changes after August 18, 2018

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 17, 19, 9:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: jeanie
Wiki Link
Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels


Marriott Rewarding Events


Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels


How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking


Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting ó and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked ó up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.


Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.


FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Sep 20, 18, 7:27 am
  #436  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Platinum / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold
Posts: 848
Originally Posted by xar View Post
Not sure about room discounts, but you do get additional night credit per x room if your meeting requires room bookings.
In any case, do raise this with the banquet/events manager once your meeting request has been submitted.
Originally Posted by taiquanxx View Post
Thanks! I do mention this when I submitted it. Let's see what happen next. Will report back.
under the new program, they will credit you one elite night per 20 nights booked.
samwise6222 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 10:07 pm
  #437  
stc
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newton Centre, MA, USA
Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro, UA ex-?; Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), Hyatt ex-?
Posts: 1,948
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I didn't read all 30 pages: It is 10 nights for your first meeting or 10 night for your first meeting per year?
stc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 10:46 pm
  #438  
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,463
Originally Posted by stc View Post
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I didn't read all 30 pages: It is 10 nights for your first meeting or 10 night for your first meeting per year?
Itís 10 elite nights for your first meeting of the year. Itís also 1 elite night per 20 rooms nights consumed.
xar likes this.
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 11:18 pm
  #439  
xar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Itís 10 elite nights for your first meeting of the year. Itís also 1 elite night per 20 rooms nights consumed.
Actually this statement made me wonder about the following:
  • I take my extended family on yearly trips lasting for about a week.
  • But for simplicity, lets just say 5 rooms for a 3 night stay.
  • Suppose i book a meeting room to celebrate my grand daughter's birthday in that hotel.
Will this qualify as a Rewarding Events hence getting at least 10 EQN + 5 EQN (for 5 rooms) = 15 EQN?
Note: if they calculate nights for the entire stay duration then it would be another +10 EQN for a total of 25 EQN but i suspect its only for the date of the event.

Without RE, I would only be earning only 3 EQN for this family trip since only the first room is counted. (except for points which is for 3 rooms)
xar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 11:25 pm
  #440  
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,463
Originally Posted by xar View Post
Actually this statement made me wonder about the following:
  • I take my extended family on yearly trips lasting for about a week.
  • But for simplicity, lets just say 5 rooms for a 3 night stay.
  • Suppose i book a meeting room to celebrate my grand daughter's birthday in that hotel.
Will this qualify as a Rewarding Events hence getting at least 10 EQN + 5 EQN (for 5 rooms) = 15 EQN?
Note: if they calculate nights for the entire stay duration then it would be another +10 EQN for a total of 25 EQN but i suspect its only for the date of the event.

Without RE, I would only be earning only 3 EQN for this family trip since only the first room is counted. (except for points which is for 3 rooms)
Rewarding Events requires contracts for a minimum of 10 rooms. So any purchase of rooms on an individual regular channel will not qualify for the 1 elite night per 20 (group) rooms consumed. Those are completely irrelevant to any date for any meeting.

Group nights and meetings are distinct. Earning 10 elite nights for the first meeting each year is an artifact of the old Marriott Rewards program. Earning 1 elite night per 20 (group) room nights is an artifact of the old SPG Pro program.
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 7:22 am
  #441  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,309
Has anyone seen any text that says the 10 night credit is actually each year? Typical Marriott wiggle room in their terms. I'm guessing there will be more changes. Chasing moving targets is a challenge.
RogerD408 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 8:11 am
  #442  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 13,034
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Has anyone seen any text that says the 10 night credit is actually each year? Typical Marriott wiggle room in their terms. I'm guessing there will be more changes. Chasing moving targets is a challenge.
No, I think all we have is a single data point (post 419) from someone whose prior meeting was several years ago.
swag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 8:55 am
  #443  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,792
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post


It’s 10 elite nights for your first meeting of the year. It’s also 1 elite night per 20 rooms nights consumed.
Do we know for sure that post merger Starriott is giving ten elite nights per year for the first meeting of the year versus ten elite nights once in a lifetime for the first post merger meeting? There won't be any data points until next year and the T&C seem vague on this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:01 am
  #444  
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,463
Multiple people actually have shared many data points that make it just as obvious now as it was before Aug 18: the first meeting of the year will earn 10 elite nights, and any further meetings that same year will not earn elite nights. And that repeats every year...just like every other earned benefit.

Those that are worrying about it being a Lifetime issue are truly worrying needlessly, as that just makes no sense. No other benefit gets a lifetime treatment (or ever has) in the Marriott loyalty scheme. Or SPG for that matter. So it’s impossible to imagine why anyone would think that now. There’s just a lot of people playing devil’s advocate and creating and reinforcing silly conspiracy ideas to confuse the masses.

Don’t be confused. Yes, we know for sure. First means first. First of the year. Not first Lifetime. Common sense wins. Some people just don’t want to accept a new reality. Life is hard.
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 11:11 am
  #445  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,792
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Multiple people actually have shared many data points that make it just as obvious now as it was before Aug 18: the first meeting of the year will earn 10 elite nights, and any further meetings that same year will not earn elite nights. And that repeats every year...just like every other earned benefit.

Those that are worrying about it being a Lifetime issue are truly worrying needlessly, as that just makes no sense. No other benefit gets a lifetime treatment (or ever has) in the Marriott loyalty scheme. Or SPG for that matter. So it’s impossible to imagine why anyone would think that now. There’s just a lot of people playing devil’s advocate and creating and reinforcing silly conspiracy ideas to confuse the masses.

Don’t be confused. Yes, we know for sure. First means first. First of the year. Not first Lifetime. Common sense wins. Some people just don’t want to accept a new reality. Life is hard.
Excuse me, but why are you saying that I can't accept a new reality just because I don't think we really know for sure (as the T&Cs are ambiguous) that one time means one time per year or one time period (lifetime). There are no data points to prove this either way.

I have no horse in this race as I have *never* (lifetime) received elite nights for meetings, credit cards, or more than one room (room occupied by other people), but I disagree that your "once per year" rule has been proved. T&Cs don't necessarily follow common sense, and there are hotel programs (such as WOH) where some benefits are indeed lifetime (the free night after 5 and then 10 brands, for example).
Seabilly likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 11:17 am
  #446  
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,463
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Excuse me, but why are you saying that I can't accept a new reality just because I don't think we really know for sure (as the T&Cs are ambiguous) that one time means one time per year or one time period (lifetime). There are no data points to prove this either way.

I have no horse in this race as I have *never* (lifetime) received elite nights for meetings, credit cards, or more than one room (room occupied by other people), but I disagree that your "once per year" rule has been proved. T&Cs don't necessarily follow common sense, and there are hotel programs (such as WOH) where some benefits are indeed lifetime (the free night after 5 and then 10 brands, for example).

I am not directing my comments towards you or to anyone in particular. A large number of people well beyond you continue to ask about this. A number of people are answering differently than I have. I am commenting to hopefully dispel notions that aren't based on common sense IMO.

I believe it is blatantly obvious that one will earn 10 elite nights for the first (as stated) and only the first (which still means first) meeting of each year. I believe people wondering about it being for only the first meeting ever in a lifetime are creating unnecessary worry based on unreasonable thinking.

Some people are very literal and try to find loopholes in the details wherever and whenever they can, but that doesn't mean those details are loopholes or conspiracies. You and everyone else are welcome to believe that it may be a lifetime meeting bonus of 10 elite nights, and you and everyone else are welcome to wait until 2019 to prove it or disprove it to your satisfaction. I'm pretty comfortable knowing it isn't lifetime already.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 21, 18 at 11:33 am
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 11:31 am
  #447  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,309
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I am not directing my comments towards you or to anyone in particular. A large number of people beyond you continue to ask about this. A number of people are answering differently than I have. I am commenting to hopefully dispel notions that aren't based on common sense IMO.
... and your interpretation is different, how? The fact is we have no definitive proof from MPG. We have years experience where it was 10 nights per meeting and the term "first" was used all along. We have reports of MPG mucky mucks saying they messed up. We have various data points on this being retro active and not. Bottom line, we do not have a stable situation yet with MPG in general so anything is subject to change. My request was if anyone has seen anything online that supports an annual event. Not posting can be from many different issues yet to be resolved. I am not scouring all releases so enlisting others that have a horse in the game sounds wise to me.
sdsearch likes this.
RogerD408 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 8:50 pm
  #448  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CLT
Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post

I am not directing my comments towards you or to anyone in particular. A large number of people well beyond you continue to ask about this. A number of people are answering differently than I have. I am commenting to hopefully dispel notions that aren't based on common sense IMO.

I believe it is blatantly obvious that one will earn 10 elite nights for the first (as stated) and only the first (which still means first) meeting of each year. I believe people wondering about it being for only the first meeting ever in a lifetime are creating unnecessary worry based on unreasonable thinking.

Some people are very literal and try to find loopholes in the details wherever and whenever they can, but that doesn't mean those details are loopholes or conspiracies. You and everyone else are welcome to believe that it may be a lifetime meeting bonus of 10 elite nights, and you and everyone else are welcome to wait until 2019 to prove it or disprove it to your satisfaction. I'm pretty comfortable knowing it isn't lifetime already.
Iím surprised that this is your opinion. Is it not your opinion that the 10 night credits for meetings was ďgaming the systemĒ and that is why it it was apparently changed to only the first meeting? I think itís reasonable to believe that if that is why they changed it, they wouldnít want people to be ďgaming the systemĒ every year.
GoPhils is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 18, 1:40 am
  #449  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MEL
Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Posts: 237
Slightly OT question here. I might be getting my Marriot terms confused, but would ‘Elite nights’ count toward my 16 night Platinum status challenge? That is, I get 10 nights from the meeting and I stay another 6 paid nights. Would that work?

Last edited by Gold_Member; Sep 23, 18 at 5:12 am
Gold_Member is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 18, 3:30 am
  #450  
xar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Posts: 203
16 days award/paid butt in bed nights to qualify.
Don't think the +10 EQN from RE will qualify towards this challenge.
xar is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread