Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by yeunganson
​​​​​The era of easy gaming on status is ending and I think that would be positive for the program.

​​​​
Agreed. Well, partially. It was not gaming the system ... the system was meant to work that way. Same with the UA partnership. Now starting January 2019 we'll see much less crowded lounges and hopefully with that better service returning! A change I will like
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:27 pm

So T&C have been updated:

5.3.d. Elite Night Credit.Members who hold Qualifying Events at Participating Properties also receive ten (10) Elite Night Credits for their first Qualifying Event, and then earn one (1) Elite Night Credit for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract.

Still no change from what was posted...

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/ter...ault.mi#events
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:45 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA

5.3.d. Elite Night Credit.Members who hold Qualifying Events at Participating Properties also receive ten (10) Elite Night Credits for their first Qualifying Event, and then earn one (1) Elite Night Credit for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract.

That’s because the T&C wouldn’t need to include FIRST Qualifying Event if they were continuing the old program policy of 10 EQN for EACH Qualifying Event.

It’s pretty obvious that for the new program, only the FIRST Qualifying Event of the year will earn 10 EQN now. After that, events only earn EQN based on the number of room nights consumed. It’s really that simple.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 5, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA

We've debated the language upthread. This is one section of the T&C on rewarding events, ignoring the one that uses the term thereafter.

We're getting caught up in one update of the T&C language (the upgrade policy for plats) when the fact remains that there are still obvious current errors in the MR T&CS - section 4.3.e.i still references a section 5.8 on what benefits an ambassador provides that still does not exist.

While the intent of the overall program and highly, very, extremely likely meaning of the terms remains clear to me, I still agree with other posters that there is enough ambiguity for the current T&Cs on Rewarding Events to be misinterpreted, and I believe Marriott could make it abundantly clear pretty easily with slight language modifications on what they intended.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, SPG Gold
Hi there, I've gone and tried to RTFF, but not having too much success finding good hotels online to book. I recently submitted an RFP to 3 local hotels and the cheapest was $300 per a one hour meeting. Could someone PM or help me with a hotel location that I can contact to book for a meeting event? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: United 1K
Has anyone had nights post for an event after the merger?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by mingzie
Anyone have any update on the status of their credits?

No reply to either of my two emails after over a week..
Called MR, still working on my case. No update yet. Truly not satisfied with them.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I’m also waiting.

i had 2 events. One on the 15th and one the next day. First one posted the 17th, second posted almost a week later.

Of course the nights for the second one haven’t appeared. I have a case open with Marriott, and it’s been a week of waiting. They keep saying it’s up to the hotel to clarify the contract and make the correction.
So im just in waiting mode. All agents i’ve spoken to say it should be ok, but the hotel has to clear up the process.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by coljung
I’m also waiting.

i had 2 events. One on the 15th and one the next day. First one posted the 17th, second posted almost a week later.

Of course the nights for the second one haven’t appeared. I have a case open with Marriott, and it’s been a week of waiting. They keep saying it’s up to the hotel to clarify the contract and make the correction.
So im just in waiting mode. All agents i’ve spoken to say it should be ok, but the hotel has to clear up the process.
Same as you, though I have mentioned again and again this may not be the problem of the hotel, they always contacted hotel to solve this problem.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Well, a weird thing happened to me. I had an event that completed in early August that had over 200 Room Nights...It posted just today, despite the hotel posting it to the GPT over two weeks ago. And it posted as 4 separate events, rather than 1. I imagine the hotel did that for some reason.

1. It seems like the posting, even though it was for an event that was both completed and posted before Aug. 18, posted under the new guidelines. As in, there weren't 10 nights awarded per event, but rather 2 (50 nights per "event").

2. The points that posted look to be under the new rules, as well.

So while I'm marginally upset that I got 8 Elite Nights instead of 10, I DID get twice the points. So, I imagine this isn't something I want to call in to get fixed, because I feel like I came out ahead. But weird that the system posted it like that.
As I posted way in the predecessor thread, the fine print said that you'll get rewarded according to what the program is at the time your event posts.

Last edited by sethb; Sep 7, 2018 at 11:47 pm Reason: correction to predecessor thread
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by sethb
As I posted way in the predecessor thread, the fine print said that you'll get rewarded according to what the program is at the time your event posts.
where?

reps said we would get the 10 nights on twitter and customer service

i doubt they'd put in specific language to say 'when it posts' - tahts bs
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I don’t see how this can be legal. Unlike most other aspects of the loyalty program, I believe most people who held Rewarding Events had an actual contract.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:06 pm

I assume you're referring to this line "The number of Points or Miles to be awarded shall be determined in accordance with the Loyalty Program Rules in effect at the time of award." (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/ter...ault.mi#events), but it seems to me that
  1. That line doesn't say that the number of EQN shall be determined by the time of the award.
  2. It still seems pretty arbitrary and underhanded to have the number of nights/points determined by how long it happens to take the hotel to post the event, whether Marriott's IT systems are down, etc, rather than when the contract was fulfilled.
  3. Any specific line of the Ts and Cs seems somewhat irrelevant given that the opening states "These Program Rules supersede all previous terms and conditions applicable to the Legacy Programs or Loyalty Program. Except as otherwise expressly prohibited or limited by applicable laws, Company may at any time amend, modify or supplement these Program Rules, the structure for earning awards (“Awards,” and individually, an "Award") and Award levels at any time, with or without notice, even though such changes may affect the value of Points or Miles, or the ability to obtain certain Awards (collectively “Program Rules Changes”). Loyalty Members are responsible for remaining knowledgeable of the Program Rules and any Program Rule Changes. Your continued participation in the Loyalty Program will constitute your acceptance of any such Program Rule Changes."
Personally, I'm still holding out hope that this is something Marriott will correct in our favor, but I'm not sure that it'll happen.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Just a data point, I did a cheap meeting at an airport Springhill Suites on Friday. My stays and points posted today in my account.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TheTravelPlaybook
Just a data point, I did a cheap meeting at an airport Springhill Suites on Friday. My stays and points posted today in my account.
Presuming you mean nights? Had you done any meetings before during the year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.