Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why would Starriott reverse themselves and make it possible to earn 10 nights credit many times for these $75 fake meetings? This is reminding me of the decision to capitulate and change the rules to make everyone and their dog LTPP in January.
Because they are hearing from some very vocal members that want it that way. Remember, RE was created when business was down and it was very successful in keeping members spending money with MR. Indicators are business has taken a hit with the merger. Will it recover? Anybody's guess.

As for the LTPP issue, in the original announcement ONLY MR LTPs were going to make LTPP status. Totally a slap in the face of SPG members being lesser members. And "everyone and their dog" are NOT getting the status, just those that have invested the effort to earn the status across either or both programs. Keep in mind it's not all LTPs (SPG nights for LTP were much less). So the changes resulted in a more level playing field for all members and not just MR. Personally, I think they should have done away with all the old tiers and just spec the tiers by nights needed. This whole fiasco of MR Gold is now MPG Plat but SPG Golds were not, etc., just confused a lot of people. Saying those with 25 - 49 nights will be MPG Gold reads much better to me. Too late to change that, but I do think it's fair they did not spend too much time thinking about how this was going to go down. That's why many are calling it a total CF and I don't think they are too far from right. Having lived/worked through a few company mergers/changes I have a lot of sympathy for those on the front lines having to implement things that are not fully defined. I'm hoping they settle out within a year, if we're lucky.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I doubt that they will reverse the limit 10. That mostly benefits padding status. And if they do reinstate it they would wait until after LTPP eligibility is retired. True meeting planners are going to be getting the 10 + 1 EQN for every 20 room nights so they will get to their status. Those creating $100 meetings for 10 EQN's are the ones almost exclusively hampered by this. As analytics continue to get better, these programs are going to continue to evolve to exclude rewarding behavior that doesn't truly benefit their bottom line.
yeunganson and margarita girl like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Because they are hearing from some very vocal members that want it that way. Remember, RE was created when business was down and it was very successful in keeping members spending money with MR. Indicators are business has taken a hit with the merger. Will it recover? Anybody's guess.
I complained, complained and complained. I finally got a senior manager. I was doing $200,000–$250,000 a year in events. I'm getting my 10 nights for every event before and after 8/18 through the end of 2018. Doesn't mean much, but it's the principle. I did, however, cancel three events, valued at $90,000 total, after Marriott confirmed none of my event spending -- not even a fraction of it -- would qualify for the $20,000 ambassador threshold.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Nov 9, 2018 at 1:29 pm Reason: clarify
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I complained, complained and complained. I finally got a senior manager. I was doing $200,000–$250,000 a year in events. I'm getting my 10 nights for every event before and after 8/18 through the end of 2018. Doesn't mean much, but it's the principle. I did, however, cancel three events, valued at $90,000 total, after Marriott confirmed my event spending -- not even a fraction of it -- would qualify for the $20,000 ambassador threshold.
Did you mean to say "would not qualify"? Big typo.
karenkay likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Doesn't mean much, but it's the principle
And what "principle" would that be?

Regards
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I complained, complained and complained. I finally got a senior manager. I was doing $200,000–$250,000 a year in events. I'm getting my 10 nights for every event before and after 8/18 through the end of 2018. Doesn't mean much, but it's the principle. I did, however, cancel three events, valued at $90,000 total, after Marriott confirmed my event spending -- not even a fraction of it -- would qualify for the $20,000 ambassador threshold.
Originally Posted by margarita girl
No, proper grammar, a double negative not appropriate
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is why I think we will see more weaseling from MPG for items like this that was not considered to be significant, which I think your event activity is something they would want to promote. Don't stop communicating this, their blinders need to be opened, if not totally removed. Maybe once their big investors start to complain they will listen, it's like guests, even HVC loyalty members don't exist anymore.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by RogerD408
No, proper grammar, a double negative not appropriate
I read it as:

I did, however, cancel three events, valued at $90,000 total, after Marriott confirmed my event spending -- not even a fraction of it -- would qualify for the $20,000 ambassador threshold.

karenkay likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
if memory serves, hockeyinsider was told by a marriott muckety-muck that his events would qualify for nights and points through the end of the year (like it says on his contracts), despite the terms of the program changing.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Yes. Would not.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Regards
Honoring the benefits as they existed when the contracts were signed.
karenkay likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
One of the problems is I think Arne either reads FT and the blogs or has someone that does.

They pick up on things like becoming getting 70 nights for $700 or on people that move from hotel to hotel to get bonuses. They see it as abuse ... and change the program. I think that's part of why the fall megabonus is so poor.

They miss ... however, that there are people on here driving six figures in business and they're impacting that.

They also miss that sometimes we have to change hotels in the same city because of rates/availability issues.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by karenkay
if memory serves, hockeyinsider was told by a marriott muckety-muck that his events would qualify for nights and points through the end of the year (like it says on his contracts), despite the terms of the program changing.
Honoring the benefits as they existed when the contracts were signed.
Fair enough. And as others have said, one would think they'd want to encourage your level of spend. I can also understand how they might not want to incent some other creative uses of this program.

Regards
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:32 am
Suspended

Fair enough. And as others have said, one would think they'd want to encourage your level of spend. I can also understand how they might not want to incent some other creative uses of this program.

Regards
The senior manager who, I believe, is right under Flueck told me they never thought about Rewarding Events other than to stop the fake meetings. He did admit that. So, they were obviously aware of the scammers. But he said Marriott believed event planners thought SPG Pro was better. Of course, he also conceded they never actually surveyed event planners. Supposedly, they are working to fix a couple of the shortfalls, including the lack of nights for events without a room component. If I did a $30,000 banquet, I should get nights.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The senior manager who, I believe, is right under Flueck told me they never thought about Rewarding Events other than to stop the fake meetings. He did admit that. So, they were obviously aware of the scammers. But he said Marriott believed event planners thought SPG Pro was better. Of course, he also conceded they never actually surveyed event planners. Supposedly, they are working to fix a couple of the shortfalls, including the lack of nights for events without a room component. If I did a $30,000 banquet, I should get nights.
Why? Are you staying overnight in the banquet room? The principle is "stay and pay" to get nights credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.